Punting competition

NavyBlueJet

Hey

I am an avid fan of Chris Bryan from his Aussie Rules Football days and so happy he gets the chance to compete for the punting job but is he any sort of chance?

Does anyone really care? It's a bit strange because most of these Aussie punters were huge stars back home and then once they come to the NFL us Aussies can't understand why no one makes a big deal out of it (well we can we just wish it wasn't the case). Particularly Ben Graham and Sav Rocca, they were HUGE stars.

Is there a player on a roster that is less important? Are they the lowest paid?

Cheers, im enjoying reading all the topics here :D

Hey

I am an avid fan of Chris Bryan from his Aussie Rules Football days and so happy he gets the chance to compete for the punting job but is he any sort of chance?

Does anyone really care? It's a bit strange because most of these Aussie punters were huge stars back home and then once they come to the NFL us Aussies can't understand why no one makes a big deal out of it (well we can we just wish it wasn't the case). Particularly Ben Graham and Sav Rocca, they were HUGE stars.

Is there a player on a roster that is less important? Are they the lowest paid?

Cheers, im enjoying reading all the topics here :D

Glad to have you join our discussions, Navy Blue. Welcome to the board and, to answer your question: Punter is not high on the list of "star" positions. In fact, very few are household names. The problem with Aussie punters in the NFL is generally that they haven't spent a career kicking an NFL football, as the Aussie rules football is far more eggshaped. The few who have been able to adjust have done well, though. Ben Graham was a Jets punter for years and he was very good at it. He was also big enough to tackle without looking foolish, as many punters will dive to the ground and avoid the embarrassment of getting run over. As far Chris Bryan, he is in a close competition for starting punter, but has been a bit inconsistent recently. As a team only carries one punter, he'll need to show a big leg, as well as the ability to place his kicks in small areas. Guys who've punted in pee-wee leagues, High School and college, certainly have an advantage, but a few powerful legs have made the grade among Australian Rules punters. Thing is, the ones who have made it here, have been exceptional, even legendary in Australia. The aussies that have been anything less have usually fallen by the wayside due to a lack of experience with the skinny ball and american rules. Join me next time when I explain the opposite toilet swirl and critique the zoological inconsistancies in "Crocodile Dundee II". Also, Pitbulls Vs. Platypus, season one (now available on DVD.)

Punter isn't the least famous position in American football. That honor would go to "long snapper" or LS for short.

Punters are interesting. They certainly aren't given much respect in American football, but they can be very important... it depends on the team. For a team like the Jets, punter is actually a crucial position. This is because the Jets are a slower, more defense oriented team. They want to control the ball and "field position" (where the ball is located). So, that makes punter very important for the Jets.

In general though, punters are not famous because they are only on the field for about 4 or 5 minutes per game. Still, they can make a huge difference.

Our last punter was Steve Weatherford. He was pretty good. I hope Chris Bryan can be even better.

Cheers thanks guys! I remember Graham at the Jets. It was the reason why I started following this team and I have loved them ever since!

Welcome.

One issue with the Aussie punters is that when they initially came over their style was causing a lot of fumbles. I think that most teams have gotten over it by now. It may lead to more teams keeping Aussie guys in camp to practice against, but now that the novelty has kind of worn off these guys will have to make it strictly on distance and placement.

Knowing Bryan... Is he the type of guy who's likely to go rouge and run for it on 4th and 19 deep in his own territory?

If he's not, he may have a shot on this team.

A runner he is not but he certainly was a tough SOB. His biggest knock in AFL from the critics was that he didn't run enough and was a bit lazy.

Archived