Jets News Sept 8 2011

SoFlaJets

Remark by Jets coach not right in current climate

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 9:12 AM, September 8, 2011

Posted: 2:23 AM, September 8, 2011

Jets coach Rex Ryan was asked yesterday if he expects to see Cowboys fans in the stadium Sunday night.

“I don’t know why they’d be here,” Ryan said. “They’re coming into our stadium. It’s probably not recommended that you wear Cowboys stuff, I would think.”

Ryan made the remark off the cuff, but it is not the smartest message to deliver in light of recent fan violence at stadiums in Los Angeles and San Francisco. Just this week, a soccer fan in England was attacked outside Wembley Stadium and died.

Ryan clearly wasn’t advocating violence, but there will be enough problems with an 8:20 p.m. start to open the season without him inciting fans.

The Cowboys have been hit hard by injuries, and might not have either starting cornerback Sunday. Starting cornerback Terence Newman missed practice yesterday with a groin injury and likely won’t play. Dallas’ other corner, Mike Jenkins, left practice with an injured knee. Starting right tackle Tyron Smith also suffered a knee injury and left practice. Smith was one of three rookies expected to start on the line for the Cowboys.

Reports out of Dallas said Smith’s injury was serious and it sounds like he won’t play Sunday.

The Jets had a dismal start to last season, falling 10-9 to the Ravens. Quarterback Mark Sanchez said the team learned from that.

“I think last year we were just trying too hard,” he said, “and you get that pressure from ‘Hard Knocks’ and you have to show the world everything you’ve got and we have all these new players and want to do so much. Just be ourselves and go with what you know.

“We’re a good rushing team but we can throw the ball when we need to. We’re going to have great field position with our special teams. Our defense is going to get the offense the ball back. That’s it. Don’t get too cute. Don’t make anything up on game day. Just play and have fun.”

* Fullback John Conner (sprained right ankle) participated in team drills yesterday, and said he will play Sunday. . . . Backup quarterback Mark Brunell (right calf) was limited in practice.

Coaches are twins, but Jets, Cowboys vary defenses

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 9:13 AM, September 8, 2011

Many people make the mistake of assuming Rex and Rob Ryan are identical twins because they look and sound so alike. The brothers are fraternal twins.

Rex Ryan made the same analogy about their defenses yesterday. Most people assume the Ryans run the same defense. But the Jets head coach and Cowboys defensive coordinator have similarities in the way they run their defenses, but by no means are they carbon copies of each other.

“There are some differences,” Rex Ryan said. “He’ll bring a lot of corner pressures. He’ll do a lot of stuff he learned under [Patriots coach Bill] Belichick’s tutelage. He’s got his own trademark of defense and so do we here — the Rex Ryan, [defensive coordinator] Mike Pettine and [defensive backs coach] Dennis Thurman defense.”

The Ryans learned under their father, Buddy, the longtime NFL defensive coordinator and head coach. When the twins graduated from college, Buddy taught them the concepts of his famous “46 defense.”

The brothers coached together under Buddy when he was the head coach in Arizona, but then went in different directions. Rex ended up with the Ravens, and learned under Marvin Lewis. Rob went to the Patriots, where Belichick influenced his defense.

When the two meet on Sunday, the mind games will get cranked up. This is the ninth time they have faced each other, the fourth time in the NFL. Last year, Rex and the Jets beat Rob, then with the Browns, 26-20, in overtime.

Former Jets coach Eric Mangini was the Browns coach that day, and knows what to expect Sunday.

“Rob will say, ‘Rex is going to think I’m going to do this so I’m going to do that,’ ” Mangini, now an ESPN analyst, said. “Rex will be saying, ‘Rob is going to think I’m going to do this, so I’m going to do that.’ It will be fun to watch.”

Mangini coached with Rob in New England and Cleveland and game-planned against Rex’s defenses as the coach of the Browns and Jets. He said the biggest difference between the two systems is Rob plays more of the two-gap 3-4 system that Belichick popularized and Mangini used with the Jets. Rex uses a base 3-4, but has guys offset to create 4-3 looks.

One thing that is the same between the brothers is they love to bring the heat.

“Both guys find creative ways to blitz,” Mangini said. “That’s consistent.”

Rex spoke about how their systems have morphed from what their father ran in the 1980s with the Bears and Eagles, but Mangini said Rob would study films of Buddy’s defenses and steal concepts. He said in 2001 when the Patriots played the Falcons, Rob brought a box of Buddy’s tapes into the office and they installed some “46” looks. That week they had nine sacks.

The gamesmanship between the two already has started. The Jets picked up safety Andrew Sendejo off waivers last weekend after the Cowboys dropped him. That led to Rob rewriting the Cowboys’ game plan.

“It’s funny, because Rob had a defense already put in for the Jets, a bunch of stuff in that I think he wanted to do in different areas,” Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo said. “Then, when the Jets [acquired] Andrew Sendejo, he ended up switching a lot of that stuff up, so I thought that was pretty interesting when I was watching the defensive side of the ball here this week. I’ve never seen that before, so I think there is a little cat-and-mouse game there, for sure.”

The Jets probably have the advantage in the scouting department because several members of the offense have faced the Jets defense for the last two years in practice and have seen some of the same concepts Rob employs. Plus, Rob has only had six weeks to install his complicated system in Dallas.

“Seeing Rex’s defense every day is a huge help and gives us a chance to see a ton of different pressures, a ton of different looks,” center Nick Mangold said. “It’s a big help for us

Jets taking 9/11 opportunity seriously

Posted: 2:23 AM, September 8, 2011

steve_serby.pngSteve Serby

Inside the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center, all eyes and ears were on Rex Ryan as he began talking about what an honor it is for the Jets to be chosen as New York’s team on the 10-year anniversary of 9/11. His Jets didn’t think they needed him to explain why the NFL chose them.

“Well, because we feel like the city’s ours,” guard Matt Slauson said. “In the past it’s always been you see Giants stickers everywhere, Giants posters everywhere . . . you go to the grocery store, you got Giants jerseys and hats and all that.” A proud smirk came over Slauson’s face when he added: “Now you’re starting to see a lot of Jets stuff.

mark_sanchez--300x300.jpg

Charles Wenzelberg/New York Post

BRAVO, BRAVO: Quarterback Mark Sanchez and his teammates will be trying to win a game for all of New York City when the Jets host the Dallas Cowboys Sunday night on the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

“I think the city feels like our team represents our city here.”

The Giants, on the road against the Redskins, beg to differ, but in the meantime, Ryan has volunteered that he feels more pressure to coach this game than any he has ever coached. Slauson believes New York — and the Cowboys — will witness an historic Jets team on 9/11 night.

“They should see the best football team that they’ve ever seen wear green and white,” Slauson said. “9/11 was one of the most tragic days in U.S. history. I mean, we have to play with the passion of our city.”

Jets players vow they will have their coach’s back. And their city’s back.

“I think we have a great responsibility to play the best football we’ve ever played,” tight end Dustin Keller said.

The Jets are fully embracing the responsibility to represent New York.

“We feel like the city looks at us now as their team,” Slauson said, “so we have to go out there and win.”

Ryan detailed to his players advantages he is certain the Jets have over the Cowboys.

“More than anything,” one Jet said, “just talking about mismatches that we have and why we should win.” He added: “We’re with him, we agree 100 percent, there’s no reason why we shouldn’t win this game.”

As he enters his third season, it is on Mark Sanchez to become the main reason why the Jets should win this game, and most of the other games between here and Super Bowl XLVI.

“It’s gonna be incredible to watch,” Slauson said. “Just the passion he plays with now . . . the leadership . . . night-and-day difference. I think he can be anything he wants to be this year.”

Sanchez always has been a dream teammate. Now that he has taken ownership of the offense, the Jets need him to be a dream quarterback.

“This year . . . he can tell you every single player’s responsibility on every single play,” Keller said. “That’s what you want — it’s gonna make him that much more lethal.”

The Jets are counting on Plaxico Burress to be lethal in the red zone; Derrick Mason to be more lethal than Jerricho Cotchery; Santonio Holmes to be as lethal as any receiver anywhere and Keller to be lethal underneath so Shonn Greene can be lethal grounding and pounding.

“I think having a new group of wideouts has been a good challenge for me to try and demand out of guys that are much older and much more experienced,” Sanchez said. “It’s my turn to really take charge . . . and they’ve responded well. They know I’m working hard, they know I mean well, that my intentions are good, and when I get on ’em, it’s never personal, that I just want the best out of ‘em, and they understand that.”

It is imperative that Sanchez resists forcing the ball to blanketed receivers and to take the easy completions when they are staring him in the face.

“If we call a shot play, it doesn’t mean you have to throw it 50 yards down the field, there could be a guy wide open underneath,” Sanchez said. “I found myself last year, just hanging on those deep calls and waiting and waiting and waiting, and then you end up throwing the ball away when I could have just dumped it down to [LaDainian Tomlinson] or something.”

CBS NFL analyst Phil Simms feels Sanchez became “absolutely the perfect quarterback for the New York Jets” during their playoff run after wanting to fight Ryan for threatening to take away his job after struggling against the Pats and Dolphins. “He was upset but he went out and changed the way he was playing on the field,” Simms said.

“I have questions about the Jets, but one of them is not the quarterback.”

New York’s Quarterback on 9/11 night.

Jets' Wednesday notes

Thursday, September 8, 2011 Last updated: Thursday September 8, 2011, 2:04 AM

The Record

Did Jets' gambit work?

The Jets claimed former Dallas safety Andrew Sendejo on waivers Sunday, one day after he was cut by the Cowboys. Coach Rex Ryan admitted Monday that Sendejo would be questioned for any information he could provide.

Dallas quarterback Tony Romo said Wednesday the Cowboys have taken precautions, just in case.

Romo was asked on a conference call about the similarities between the defenses of twins, Jets coach Rex Ryan and Dallas coordinator Rob Ryan, and replied, "Yes, I think there are some similarities. I think there are a lot of differences, as well. It's funny, because Rob had a defense already put in for the Jets, a bunch of stuff in that I think he wanted to do in different areas.

"Then, when the Jets [acquired] Andrew Sendejo," Romo added, "he ended up switching a lot of that stuff up, so I thought that was pretty interesting when I was watching the defensive side of the ball here this week. I've never seen that before, so I think there is a little cat-and-mouse game there, for sure."

Sanchez replies to Rodgers

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez was asked about comments by Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers, who called the photos in Sanchez's recent GQ spread "embarrassing" and "terrible."

"I think he was, obviously, making a joke out of it," Sanchez said, "and that's fine, giving me a good ribbing like the guys on our team. That's totally understandable, but I'm just happy that it ended up working out for a good cause and we got to partner with two great companies and one great charity, with Hugo Boss and Tuesday's Children. It worked out for the better and I can take a little razzing for the way it ended up. I know he's just joking around, so that's totally fine."

Briefs

Jets FB John Conner (ankle) and backup QB Mark Brunell (calf) both were limited in practice Wednesday. … Dallas starting RT Tyron Smith, a rookie, suffered a knee injury in practice Wednesday and reportedly will be out two to four weeks. Second-year pro Jermey Parnell likely would take his place.

Mark Sanchez addresses accuracy

Thursday, September 8, 2011 Last updated: Thursday September 8, 2011, 2:05 AM

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

The Record

Print | E-mail

FLORHAM PARK – Perhaps it’s fitting the Jets are opening the regular season at night on national TV.

That’s because this could be the year in which Mark Sanchez, once and for all, proves he’s ready for prime time.

Sure, he has a 4-2 record as a playoff quarterback, all on the road, with nine touchdowns and only three interceptions. But the third-year quarterback hasn’t been as good prior to January in his young NFL career. He enters the Jets’ game against visiting Dallas on Sunday night with two-year totals of 29 touchdown passes, 33 interceptions and a 54.4 completion percentage.

His passer rating of 75.3 in 2010 ranked 27th in the league. His completion percentage of 54.8 was 29th, and he’s made it clear he wants that to improve.

"I think there’s been an emphasis" in preseason, he said Wednesday, "on when things aren’t open with your first and second read, not to try and force it in. … Just be ready to run the ball a little bit, and just get back to the line of scrimmage, maybe scramble for 2 or 3 yards, throw it away right away, or just get it down to your [running] back. Don’t pass up early completions. If we call a shot [downfield], it doesn’t mean you have to throw it 50 yards down the field, there could be a guy wide open underneath."

Sanchez indicated last month that a philosophy of appeasement in his first two seasons may have hurt his accuracy.

"It’s my job to throw to the open guy," he said at the time. "Don’t pick a favorite from Day One. Just throw to the open guy. But it’s also not my job to keep everyone happy. … As a young guy, you see these superstars around and you think, ‘Let’s get so-and-so a catch in the first quarter and make sure he’s happy. OK, [tight end] Dustin [Keller] is in there; let me try to get this ball [to him].’ I’m going to go through my reads. I’m accountable for the entire team."

Coach Rex Ryan joked that he doesn’t care about Sanchez’s completion rate.

"I don’t have him on my fantasy football team," Ryan said. "I just want my quarterback to win. … The big thing is just wins. Protect the football and let’s find ways to get wins. If he’s at 55 [percent] and we’re winning games," then Ryan is fine with that.

Wide receiver Derrick Mason said the completion rate isn’t only about Sanchez. The receivers are involved just as much.

"If we make Mark’s job easy," he said, "then his completion ratio will go up. If we protect the throws that he makes, then his completion ratio will go up. And then he’ll get more confidence in us and he’ll get more comfortable in the offense.

"Every ball doesn’t have to be a perfect ball," Mason added. "In this league, you want it to be, but realistically, it’s just not going to be perfect, but as [receivers], you’ve got to make it seem as if it was the perfect ball."

Sanchez was far from perfect on opening night last season, going 10-for-21 for 74 yards in a lackluster 10-9 loss to Baltimore.

"We were just trying too hard," he said. "You get that pressure from [HBO’s] ‘Hard Knocks,’ and you have to show the world everything you’ve got, and we have all these new players and we want to do so much."

So this time, he won’t put added pressure on himself, even though the country will be watching again.

"We just want to be ourselves and go with what you know," he said. "We’re a good rushing team, but we can throw the ball when we need to. … Don’t get too cute. Don’t make anything up on game day. Just play and have fun."

Jets face depleted Cowboys secondary with new-look receiving corps

Published: Thursday, September 08, 2011, 4:15 AM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

jetsjpg-eba963d479466d26.jpgWilliam Perlman/The Star-Ledger

Jets wide receiver Plaxico Burress (17) celebrates with Santonio Holmes after Burress scored a touchdown in the team's preseason win over the Cincinnati Bengals.

Mark Sanchez recalls last year’s season opener unpleasantly, a 10-9 loss to the Baltimore Ravens in which the Jets struggled for first downs (six), total yards (176) and touchdowns (none).

“We were just trying too hard,” the Jets quarterback said Wednesday. “You get that pressure from ‘Hard Knocks,’ and you have to show the world everything you’ve got, and we have all these new players and we want to do so much.”

Not that there’s any less pressure for the offense’s 2011 debut Sunday night, when a new-look receiving corps including Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason is unveiled, and Sanchez enters an important third year.

And the person on the other sideline trying to stop them is none other than Rex Ryan’s twin, Rob Ryan, the Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator.

Already, the chess match has begun — at least according to Dallas quarterback Tony Romo, who noticed defensive changes after the Jets acquired former Cowboys safety Andrew Sendejo off the waiver wire this weekend.

“It’s funny, because Rob had a defense already put in for the Jets, a bunch of stuff that I think he wanted to do in different areas,” Romo said during a conference call Wednesday. “Then, when the Jets (acquired) Andrew Sendejo, he ended up switching a lot of that stuff up. ... I’ve never seen that before, so I think there is a little cat-and-mouse game there, for sure.”

The Jets may be entering the contest with a pair of helpful advantages: The Cowboys could be without their top two corners, Terence Newman (groin) and Mike Jenkins (stinger/knee), not to mention Dallas has had just weeks post-lockout to install the scheme of newly hired Rob Ryan.

Rex Ryan will always praise his brother, calling him a “great teacher” Wednesday, but even he couldn’t hide how much better the Jets defense had it, returning 10 of 11 starters in Year 3 of the system.

“Probably a little easier for us,” Rex Ryan said.

Scouting the new Cowboys defense wasn’t quite so easy. Teams never show all their cards in the preseason. The Jets looked back at film of the Browns, where Rob Ryan coached last season, but Sanchez said that was only helpful to a degree because the personnel are so different.

Rex and Rob Ryan both learned from father Buddy Ryan, the architect of the legendary 46 defense with the Chicago Bears, and favor pressure-heavy systems. But while they might be twins, their schemes are fraternal, Rex Ryan said.

“He’ll bring a lot of corner pressures; he’ll do a lot of stuff that he learned under (Bill) Belichick’s tutelage,” Rex Ryan said. “He’s got his own trademark, and so do we here.”

That trademark could be limited, though, by personnel. Owner Jerry Jones acknowledged to Dallas-area reporters Wednesday that the Cowboys could enter the season with just three cornerbacks — charged with covering Burress, Mason and Santonio Holmes.

Mason said he picked Rex Ryan’s brain about Rob Ryan, supplementing the knowledge Mason gained by playing against Rob Ryan’s defenses twice a year for the past two years while with the Ravens. The exhaustive research also shows Mason isn’t taking for granted that his 15 years in the NFL give him an automatic advantage against potentially less-experienced defensive backs.

“With Rob coaching that defense, you’ve got to throw that out the window,” Mason said. “Regardless of who he has out there, they’re going to make you look crazy.”

Looking crazy is just what Sanchez is hoping to avoid. He learned his lesson last year.

“Go with what you know,” he said. “We’re a good rushing team, and we can throw the ball when we need to. Don’t get too cute; don’t make anything up on game day. Just play and have fun.”

Jets Season Preview 2011: Mark Sanchez's progress, Plaxico Burress' potential and more

Published: Thursday, September 08, 2011, 8:15 AM Updated: Thursday, September 08, 2011, 8:57 AM

By Conor Orr/The Star-LedgerThe Star-Ledger

Follow

9976490-large.jpgNoah K. Murray/The Star-LedgerQuarterback Mark Sanchez has led the Jets to the AFC title game in each of his first two seasons.

260701700001_1094499166001_vs-1094490894001.jpg?pubId=260701700001Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez talks about new receiversNew York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez talks about working with new wide receivers and the first day of practice with full pads. (Video by Ed Murray/The Star-Ledger)Watch video

THE STORYLINES

1. Will Mark Sanchez evolve in year No. 3?

Rex Ryan placed a “C” on his quarterback’s jersey and charged him to lead the team this year. What was a role in the making is now official, and Sanchez has done his best this preseason to take the appropriate steps — lifting at 5:30 a.m. after a flight home from Houston, taking his new wide receiver out to dinner, or pulling rookies aside during camp for teaching moments. But the real test will be on the field, where Sanchez flourished at times last season. Now, it’s up to him to maintain consistency and bring together what some believe to be the most potent offense in Sanchez’s three years as a Jet. Working in the team’s favor? Sanchez has already said that the team’s success will begin and end with him this season.

2. Does Plaxico Burress have Pro Bowl potential left in him?

He promised reporters at the beginning of camp that, once he starts to move around, he’ll look like he’s 25 again. In limited action in the preseason, that seemed possible, especially in his debut when he hauled in three catches for 66 yards and a full-extension touchdown grab. But maintaining such potency will be one of the most important components for the Jets' offense this season. If Burress is on, he is able to draw coverage away from other wide receivers with machine-like efficiency. He towers over cornerbacks and possesses deceptive speed for his size. If he cannot return to form, the Jets will be seriously deprived of height in the red zone.

3. Will Brian Schottenheimer put all the right pieces together?

The word around the facility is that this team that believes it can score 30 or more points per game — a far cry from the 22.9 it averaged last season. Only one offense — the New England Patriots — reached that level (32.4 ppg) in 2011. In order for that to work, so many of the factors like Burress, Shonn Greene and Sanchez need to come together. But Schottenheimer, the offensive coordinator, needs to improve as well, growing with his offense. The coach was plagued by some calls late last year, especially the goal-line debacle against Pittsburgh, but has been touted as a head coach in the making. This year could pay dividends if he’s able to help his offense reach their lofty goals.

4. Will the defense respond without veterans Shaun Ellis, Jason Taylor and Trevor Pryce?

Mike DeVito and Sione Pouha have taken to the role of new leaders by organizing position dinners with all the defensive linemen during game weeks. Rookie Kenrick Ellis said he constantly finds himself taking a step back during practice just to learn certain techniques that can translate to what he’s working on. Muhammad Wilkerson, the team’s first-round pick, said DeVito and Pouha were instrumental in bringing him around during an abbreviated preseason. But the proof will be the first time the Jets are jammed up by a tough offensive line. Will the new mainstays, void of Ellis, Taylor and Pryce, be able to respond with much younger talent and give Rex Ryan another top 10 defense?

5. Will Shonn Greene be able to carry the load?

The idea is that LaDainian Tomlinson will be a third-down running back, and that Greene — who has been waiting in the background for two seasons now — can finally step in and take the bulk of the carries. In the preseason he looked strong, slicing through defenses with a comfortable 4.6 yards-per-carry average. But he is still a back that, Rex Ryan admitted, was built for November, December, January and February. This year, with more responsibility and less time on the bench, will be a huge indicator as to what Greene will be able to offer the team in the coming years and also how successful the passing game can be this year based in a more multi-dimensional offense.

RETURNING LEADERS

Passing

Completions, Attempts, Yards, Touchdowns, Interceptions, Percentage

Mark Sanchez

278, 507, 3,291, 17, 13, 54.8

Mark Brunell 7, 13, 117, 2, 1, 53.8

Rushing

Attempts, Yards, Average, Touchdowns, Long

LaDainian Tomlinson

219, 914, 4.2, 6, 31

Shonn Greene

185, 766, 4.1, 2, 23

Joe McKnight

39, 189, 4.8, 0, 18

Receiving

Receptions, Yards, Average, Touchdowns, Long

Santonio Holmes 52 746 14.3 6 52

Dustin Keller 55 687 12.5 5 41

Defense

Tackles

David Harris 99

Bart Scott 81

Sacks

Bryan Thomas 6

Interceptions

Antonio Cromartie 3

260701700001_1089938951001_vs-1089934526001.jpg?pubId=260701700001Video: Plaxico Burress speaks to the media at Jets training campNew York Jets Plaxico Burress speaks to the media on the first day of training camp. He said he is excited to be a Jet and is ready to help bring a championship to the New York Jets. (Video by William Perlman/The Star-ledger)Watch video

PROVING GAMES

Vs. San Diego Chargers, Oct. 23

Facing off against the team that some believe will be the AFC’s representative in the Super Bowl, the Jets will have their hands full with one of the most electrifying offenses in football. Shutting down Philip Rivers and Co. can go a long way to build confidence, but letting them run wild can have an effect, too.

At Philadelphia Eagles, Dec. 18

Based on offseason moves, the Eagles seem to be mirroring the Jets’ style when it comes to player evaluation and low-risk, short-term tryouts (Ronnie Brown, Vince Young). Piling on talent like Nnamdi Asomugha, Cullen Jenkins and Steve Smith, some Eagles self-labeled themselves a “dream team.” Could be the perfect barometer for the Jets near the end of the season.

At Giants, Dec. 24

Regardless of whether either team is in the playoff hunt at this point, it will be the hardest-fought game of the regular season. Some Jets admitted that even in the preseason, it’s the “most chippy” game on the schedule with little goodwill going around. Add the impact of a regular-season meeting into the mix and sparks could fly.

AFC Previews:

AFC West Preview 2011: Chargers could prove to be among NFL's hottest teams

AFC South Preview 2011: Texans are loaded, but Colts are right behind them

AFC North Preview 2011: Do the Steelers have enough to return to the Super Bowl?

AFC East Preview 2011: Can the Jets beat out the Patriots?

PLAYOFF BOUND IF ...

.. the Rex Ryan way continues

Sure, he’s guaranteed Super Bowls that he’s yet to deliver on, but there’s a lot to be said about making the AFC Championship game two years in a row. Players continue to preach about how playing for Ryan is better than almost any alternative. To name a few, Brodney Pool, Derrick Mason and Plaxico Burress all reportedly left money on the table to come here. Bart Scott and LaDainian Tomlinson restructured their contracts to allow the team to sign more free agents — all this to buy into the mantra that their head coach has been preaching for the last two seasons. If his message can resonate for another year, packed with stirring speeches and bold claims and the players continue to buy in despite times of turmoil, expect the Jets to be active in January.

HEADING HOME IF ...

... none of the gambles pay off.

There is always a chance that either one of Plaxico Burress’ bothersome ankles give way. There’s also a chance that just one training camp is not enough time for Muhammad Wilkerson to assume the role of a full-time starter. There’s a chance that Vladimir Ducasse — who had another enigmatic preseason — may have to be an everyday starter at some point this season if either Wayne Hunter or D’Brickashaw Ferguson goes down, and there’s a chance that LaDainian Tomlinson still has to take a bulk of the carries if Shonn Greene has trouble holding onto the football. These are all calculated risks taken by the Jets management, all of which could succeed seamlessly, or all of which could backfire.

9976509-large.jpgWilliam Perlman/The Star-LedgerJets safety Jim Leonard has made a full recovery from a broken leg.

PLAYERS IN CONTRACT YEARS

S Jim Leonhard

After battling through an exhaustive rehabilitation schedule this offseason and making a full recovery from a broken leg, Leonhard is ready to come back and assume his role as the quarterback of Rex Ryan’s defense. And he picked a good time to do so, as he becomes an unrestricted free agent after the season ends.

LB Bryan Thomas

At 32, he’s still a huge presence for the Jets coming off the edge and rushing the passer. And like Shaun Ellis was coming into this season, Thomas is now the team’s longest-tenured Jet. That being said, he does become a free agent after the season is over, so another year of leading the team in sacks — he finished with six last season — couldn’t hurt.

DT Sione Pouha

Named a defensive captain, his coaches praise the way he’s risen to the occasion and led a young core of defensive linemen through training camp. And if he’s able to keep it going through a successful season, he can expect good tidings in the free-agent market after the season. He signed a three-year extension in 2008 before even entering a full-time starting role.

RB LaDainian Tomlinson

He becomes a free agent in 2012 as well, but said he plans on playing at least through next season. Mark Sanchez lists him as his No. 1 security blanket in the passing game, and another productive year there could allow Tomlinson to ride off into retirement as a Jet.

TWO MORE THINGS ...

1. As a defensive coordinator or head coach in the NFL, a Rex Ryan team has never been worse than No. 6 in the league when it comes to total yards surrendered. In 2009, they were No. 1 and last year, No. 3.

2. According to NFL.com, the No. 1 ranked fantasy player on the Jets roster is Santonio Holmes, who is 38th-best in the league and one slot ahead of New England Patriots wideout Wes Welker.

9976518-large.jpgWilliam Perlman/The StarledgerFormer Giants receiver Plaxico Burress is now looking to make an impact on the Jets' offense.

NEW FACES

WR Plaxico Burress

The mammoth wideout has a chance to change the Jets’ dreary fortunes inside the red zone with his unparalleled ability to go up and get the football. He’ll have to show that almost three years away from the game hasn’t cut into his raw athleticism.

DL Muhammad Wilkerson

The rookie defensive lineman from Linden was thought of as a worthwhile replacement for the long-time Jet Shaun Ellis. With big shoes to fill, Wilkerson has maintained an aggressive mean streak throughout camp that has his teammates excited.

WR Derrick Mason

Mark Sanchez said the veteran wide receiver is playing like he’s 20 years old despite coming into camp at 37, with 15 years of experience. But Mason made no qualms about why he decided to don the green and white this season, and that’s to win the Super Bowl that’s been eluding him throughout his career.

KR Jeremy Kerley

Mike Westhoff’s next kick return/punt return project arrived in camp this summer and acclimated himself to the position right away. Through camp, he’s been the team’s primary option on special teams and will look to supplant the big shoes left behind by Brad Smith. Kerley has also been piloting the Wildcat formation throughout camp.

DEPTH CHART

After taking the initiative to bring back pieces like Santonio Holmes, Antonio Cromartie and Eric Smith, many of the depth chart questions were solved comfortably before the beginning of the preseason. Looking over the roster as a whole, the strength has to be at linebacker and in the secondary, where all of the starters and — perhaps just as importantly — almost all of the primary backups return from last season. With plenty of able bodies ready to come off the bench, already wise on the defense, it will allow coordinator Mike Pettine a significant amount of flexibility and comfort.

On offense, the depth has gotten better thanks to a few moves last weekend that patch up what was a scary-thin offensive line beyond the list of core starters. Losing Rob Turner for the beginning of the year with a broken leg will demand backups like Caleb Schlauderaff and Colin Baxter to put in some serious crunch time with position coach Bill Callahan just in case a freak accident occurs on Sunday

Aaron Rodgers calls Mark Sanchez's photo spread in GQ 'embarrassing,' Jets QB brushes it off

BY Kristie Ackert

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, September 8th 2011, 4:00 AM

alg_aaron-rodgers-mark-sanchez.jpg

Eric Gay/AP; GQ MagazineGreen Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers (l.) calls Mark Sanchez's GQ spread 'embarrassing' and 'terrible.' Sanchez (below) says he's just focused on a good start in Week 1.

amd_mark-sanchez-practice.jpg

Andrew Theodorakis/News

Mark Sanchez posed in the white skinny pants and black tank top, and he takes ownership of his image. The GQ metrosexual photo spread is something he is proud of, even though it has earned him quite a bit of teasing in the Jets locker room and around the league.

Wednesday, the Jets quarterback tried to shrug off the criticism of his image from Packers QB Aaron Rodgers, who called the photo spread "embarrassing."

"I think he was, obviously, making a joke out of it, and that's fine, giving me a good ribbing like the guys on our team," Sanchez said in a statement released by the Jets. "That's totally understandable, but I'm just happy that it ended up working out for a good cause and we got to partner with two great companies and one great charity, with Hugo Boss and Tuesday's Children. It worked out for the better and I can take a little razzing for the way it ended up. I know he's just joking around, so that's totally fine."

Wednesday, on his weekly radio show in Milwaukee, the Super Bowl MVP mocked Sanchez's photo spread in GQ, and specifically called the pictures of Sanchez embarrassing.

"Look at this," Rodgers said in the ESPN radio interview. "That's embarrassing. Page 94 of the GQ thing here. That's terrible."

Actually, Sanchez disagreed about what is embarrassing. What was terrible to him was his Week 1 performance last season. After becoming the face of the in-your-face new Jets, one of the TV stars of "Hard Knocks," Sanchez flopped on national television. He could not lead the Jets to a touchdown in a 10-9 loss to the Ravens. He threw for just 74 yards, completing 10 of 21 passes.

"Last year, we were trying too hard," Sanchez said. "(We) got that pressure from 'Hard Knocks,' got to show the world everything we got and we got all these new players and you want to do so much. (This year, we) just (have to) be ourselves. Go with what you know. We're a good rushing team. We can throw the ball when we need to. We're going to have good field position with our special teams. Our defense is going to get the offense the ball back."

Sanchez was able to get back on track the next week, throwing for three touchdowns in a win over the Patriots.

But the completion problem was one lingered on for the rest of the season.

Sanchez completed 196 of 364 passes, 54.8%, last year. Only two quarterbacks in the NFL (Jimmy Clausen and Derek Anderson) had worse completion percentages.

It is a point of emphasis for him this year. He said he is trying to be quicker to look for help from his running backs or look for shorter, quicker passes and more completions.

"Just going through my progression, being confident like I am and getting completions when I can," Sanchez said.

While Sanchez is trying to improve his completion rate, Rex Ryan is focused on another stats that his quarterback is racking up: wins.

"You'd love to see your quarterback over 60 (%)," Ryan said Wednesday. "Our system is probably a little different than others. We'll take probably more shots down field than some teams will. ... The big thing is wins. Protect the football and let's find ways to get wins. If he's at 55 (%)and we're winning games, it doesn't (matter). I don't have him on my fantasy football team. I just want my quarterback to win."

Haha! I thought I'd help out out of boredom. But if no one's gonna notice, I probably shouldn't bother. :biggrin:

great-now I suppose me and flgreen have to cut you in on the money that's been allocated to Jets News Thread posters...fine slats-my grandkids will just go a little bit more hungry

Archived