Jets News 9-22

flgreen

A man-bites-dog story

September, 21, 2011

Sep 21

7:52

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Mark Sanchez can laugh about it now. Back then, not so much.

In the final seconds of the Jets' blowout win at Oakland in 2009, the then-rookie quarterback was seen on camera eating a hot dog on the bench. He tried to hide it, but his jaw chomping was impossible to miss. It started a firestorm of criticism -- one of a few embarrassing rookie moments for Sanchez.

The Jets are headed back to Oakland this weekend. You think some of their fans will remind him of Hot Dog Gate? Absolutely.

"It wasn't very respectful to the game and other guys playing, and that's not the way I wanted it to be, and that's not the kind of player I am," Sanchez said Wednesday. "So it's a mistake you learn from."

Sanchez actually bumped into the CBS cameraman at a later date. He said the cameraman apologized.

"He's like, 'Man, I feel bad, that thing turned into a big deal for you, huh?'" he said. "I was like, 'You have no idea.'"

Some good came out of it. A few days later, Sanchez bought a large quantity of hot dogs for a homeless shelter near the Jets' facility.

STUCK IN MUD: After two weeks, the Jets' rushing attack has produced only 146 yards, 28th in the league. Now they're about to face the Raiders, who are giving up an average of 127.5 per game (27th) and 6.7 per carry.

Rex Ryan likes his chances against the Raiders, but it will be interesting to see howthe Jets try to run the ball. The Raiders were gashed last week by the Bills' spread formations. In other words, the Bills spread the field with receivers and ran against the Raiders' nickel and dime packages.

AS THE CRO FLIES: CB Antonio Cromartie was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week for his two-interception performance against the Jaguars.

INJURY REPORT: Other than C Nick Mangold (ankle), every player on the Jets' injury report is expected to play.

Sanchez discusses elbow injury

September, 21, 2011

Sep 21

6:45

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Last week, Mark Sanchez answered questions about his head. This week, it's his throwing arm -- specifically, the elbow.

The Jets' QB showed up Wednesday on the injury report, but he was listed as a full participant in practice. In fact, he took every rep with the first-team offense. The only reason he's listed, according to Rex Ryan, is because he received treatment for the elbow.

"I just banged it a little bit on the helmet," Sanchez said. "You get your throwing motion and momentum going at a helmet, and then you hit something. It makes it hurt a little more and it freaks everybody out because it’s your throwing shoulder and stuff, but honestly, it feels great."

It happened on "the ill-advised pass play," as Ryan put it, smiling. He was, of course, referring to the third-down play in which Ryan decided to call a pass, just so he could get a catch for Plaxico Burress. Ryan second-guessed the decision, and got ripped for it, because Jaguars DE Matt Roth broke through and drove Sanchez into the ground. Sanchez's arm slammed into Roth's helmet as he released the ball. It could've been a disaster for the Jets.

After the game, Ryan said he regretted the play call. He reiterated that stance Wednesday.

"No, I could've protected him on that one," Ryan said, also noting that the Jaguars needed only a three-man rush to get to Sanchez -- an indictment of his offensive line, RT Wayne Hunter in particular.

Coach Jackson Wednesday

Head Coach Hue Jackson spoke to the media after Wednesday's practice.

Head Coach Hue Jackson addresses the media.

Q: Considering that C.J. [Chris Johnson] and [DeMarcus] Van Dyke, two cornerbacks, is that a concern for this week?

Coach Jackson: It’s a concern but I think we’re early in the week we’ll see where we are tomorrow and the next day. I think that hopefully we’ll get some of these guys back, get them back rolling.

Q: First thoughts on the Jets?

Coach Jackson: They’re good, they’re tough, they’re mean and they’re coming to the O [O.co Coliseum] to play the Raiders. Looking forward to it lets get it on.

Q: How did defense respond today after Sunday?

Coach Jackson: They responded they know what they need to do, no doubt. I expect that this team will get it done. We’re going to find out though Sunday at one o’clock, we’ll find out.

Q: Are the Jets in any way a model what you are doing here, something to compare it to? It kind of sounds like the whole building a bully thing, but Rex doesn’t say it in so many words, but its kind of what they’re doing.

Coach Jackson: It’s what he is, it’s what I am. His personality and mine, I’m not Rex and Rex is not Hue, but I’m sure we have a lot of similarities. We believe in violent, physical, tough, aggressive football teams and I’m going to build it here. I didn’t tell you it’s going to happen over night but I’m going to build it. That’s what I truly believe in and that’s what I want our football team to be. I didn’t say the Jets. It’s what Hue Jackson wants his football team to be. We’ve got some work to do and I understand that, we all do. But I’ll tell you what we are going to work at it and eventually we’re going to get this thing done that way.

Q: Given where you’re at now are you ahead of pace or are you about where you thought you’d be?

Coach Jackson: Well I’ll tell you this, it’s like anything else sometimes you think you’re further along and then sometimes you look back and you think you’re not as far along. I think we’re somewhere in the middle but again it’s a process. It’s been two weeks and there is fourteen more to go to get there and I believe that we can get it done and we will get there.

Q: Does going up against a guy like Revis change your approach offensively?

Coach Jackson: No, I respect him and I think he’s a tremendous football player one of the best corners in the league. That’s the challenge of pro football you got to go play. We’re not going to all of sudden go away from him. They’ve got a good play on the other side too. We respect Darrelle Revis and Revis island all that good stuff but we got to go play. We think we’ve got some good players too.

Q: [Nick] Mangold is out this week, a really great Jets offensive lineman. Does it change things for you in any way or obviously you didn’t get as much heat for the four man rush in Buffalo? Does it alter your philosophy at all going against the Jets and Sanchez?

Coach Jackson: Well I think they’re a different style of offense than what we’ve seen last week. That team last week spread us out pretty quick. I think they’re philosophy on offense is a little bit different than what the Jets are. The Jets will run the ball at you, they’re going to exert their will on you and try to throw the ball down the field and get it to their best player. So I think it’s a little different style, Nick Mangold is as good as anybody at his position but it’s not going to change the way we have to play defense. We’ve got to get the run stopped and make contested plays on the pass and play great solid Raider defense.

Q: With the front seven why is there such a struggle stopping the run?

Coach Jackson: Well, I’m not going to tell you that it is I mean that was the same defensive team that played against the Broncos. Last week again that team spread us out and obviously made some plays in the running game that was very unfortunate. We’ve got to tighten that up and we will. The consistency of playing run defense in the NFL is an every day deal. It’s an every game every day deal, you don’t get to take a play off somebody’s going to scratch where it itch and if you’re itching in the run game people are going to keep scratching. We got to get this better I said we’ll get this better and we will get this better.

Q: How is Denarius Moore?

Coach Jackson: Tremendous. That was this past Sunday and he’s got to do it again. I keep telling him as I tell all our players the consistency of performance has got to be the key. You got to do what you do week in and week out and then you have the right to be said that you’re a really good football player.

Q: What do you think is making him so effective as a young player?

Coach Jackson: I don’t think he has any fear, he has no fear whatsoever. He loves to compete and play. He’s excited about it and he relishes those opportunities to go out and compete against the best.

Q: Are you concerned how other teams are going to spread you out defensively like the Bills did?

Coach Jackson: Oh they could, I mean if I was some other team I would. I’d find out if we got it handled, if we got it fixed. That’s just the nature that this is a copy cat league. One team sees that worked against you then people are definitely going to try it and see if you got it solved. I think our players understand that, but we’re looking forward to the challenge what a tremendous challenge at the O our fans and our stadium we’re looking forward to it.

Q: What do you see from Stanford [Routt] out there being the number one cornerback now assuming that role and everything that comes with it?

Coach Jackson: Well, he’s made some plays obviously he had an interception last week. I think he’s really into the game, not that he wasn’t before. I think he’s understands the position that he’s in and he’s up for the challenge, he wants it and he’s not running from it that’s for sure. He’ll be the first to tell you that he needs to get better too, we all do and we will.

Q: [Jason] Campbell is pretty much everything you could of hoped for up to this point, he brought you back twice in the fourth quarter, took you down the field in the air when the run started slowing, and that was one of the things that you wanted to see him do. How close is he to being what you envisioned?

Coach Jackson: He’s closer and I’ve told you guys before I think the sky is the limit for Jason. I think year two in the system me and him the rest of the staff and the offense we’re going to make improvements and we have. We got to do it consistently and he has to do it consistently. Jason Campbell is as fine a quarterback as there is in this league, but his true measure is going to winning and losing games. That was a tough one last week. He’s got to come out and get after it this week. We’ve got a very good opponent in our stadium and he’s got to go play well.

Q: We saw Denarius Moore back taking punts there. Is that something you can go to this week?

Coach Jackson: You never know. Absolutely, I keep telling you guys. I’m going to put the best players out there. That’s what I’m going to do. The guys that can win games for us they’re going to play. I’ve been true to that our good players are going to play.

Q: Kick returns were kind of an issue the last game; is Taiwan Jones an option on that?

Coach Jackson: Everybody is an option right now. Whatever it takes to get this ball matriculated down the field or score a touchdown that’s what I’m going to do. If a guy can help us win he’s going to play.

Q: The offensive line does a good job at protecting Jason. They’ve only allowed a sack or two. What kind of challenges is the Jets defensive front going to bring?

Coach Jackson: They’re a very multiple front team that comes from a lot of different directions. Very creative with their blitzes and their dogs and how they go about it. They’ll present a challenge, but again, they can only play eleven they can’t play with twelve, sometimes it looks like they got thirteen out there but they don’t, they can only put eleven out there. We just have to figure out and be very solid with our communication so we can get them blocked.

Q: Counting preseason you’ve been on the road for the last three weeks. You get to play a home opener for the Raider Nation. Any thoughts on that?

Coach Jackson: I’m excited about it. I mean we have been away from our fans. We want that place filled up, Silver and Black, screaming, yelling for this football team. I keep saying that the time is now. We’re 1-1. We’re right at the top of our division and we need to keep playing and keep winning. We need to get back in that winning mode like I know we can, like I know we will. But we have to go play a really good football team this week.

Q: Hue, I know it’s all about the present now but last time the Jets were here there were some incidents on the side line. People have been talking about that. What do you think?

Coach Jackson: Oh they are? The hot dog? I don’t eat hot dogs during the game but it sounded like somebody did. That was his prerogative back then, I wasn’t here. I hope we can make it more interesting for him so he doesn’t have to eat hot dogs. So hopefully we can take the mustard, the relish, and the onions all that and put it away and play a little football.

Q: You’re a creative coach, a fiery coach. You motivate your players different ways. Do you internally talk about that [incident]?

Coach Jackson: I can’t let all my secrets out. I can’t do that. The guy had a hot dog. Was it a Wienershnitzel or where’d it come from? I don’t know. It looked to pretty good by the way he was eating it so I’m sure we’ll have some fun this week.

Q: You don’t seem so surprised by Denarius because you saw it during training camp on a daily basis making big plays, but at some point early in camp you must have been a little impressed in that he was a 5th round draft pick you didn’t take him in the second round or the first round. He was a 5th round draft pick doing those things. At what point in camp did you think wow we’ve got something here?

Coach Jackson: Probably about the third or fourth time he did what he did in practice because that’s the way guys play when they’re really good. I’ve been fortunate, I’ve cut my teeth with running backs in this league but I’ve coached some real good receivers in this league and I know what they play like, what they act like and how they perform. He reminds me of some people I’ve been around. I don’t like to draw comparisons but he makes plays and that’s all you can ask a guy to do. We’ve got some other guys that can make some plays and I think that whole group is on the verge of really being something very consistent and obviously with the quarterback the way he’s throwing the ball and where he’s putting the ball, guys got a chance to make plays.

Q: What does it do for a quarterback’s confidence when he’s able to go up and get the ball?

Coach Jackson: Tremendous because it’s trust. You believe that a guy is going to make a play for you and sometimes the play doesn’t happen just the way you draw it up sometimes you got to ad lib it and sometimes you got to have trust in a receiver that they will make a play for you. We’ve got some guys that are starting to really make those plays. We’ve got some guys on the sideline and hopefully we’ll get them back because they can make plays also.

Q: You have a good relationship with Rex [Ryan]. Talk a little bit about how that started and how that developed into a relationship.

Coach Jackson: Well when I was in Cincinnati and he was in Baltimore we used to obviously have some very spirited games against each other. We always talked about if he got me a job maybe I’d have the opportunity to work for him. And then my time in Baltimore with him I was kind of like his set up man. I use to go talk to all the quarterbacks before the game so I’m going to make sure I keep everyone away from my quarterback in this game. Rex is an unbelievable personality, a true football man, totally understands the game, loves the game, very passionate about it and has a very strong will for winning. My time with him I learned that he has some characteristics that I love which is I don’t like losing just like he doesn’t. He’s very competitive and I’m just as competitive when it comes to anything. The relationship grew over time there in Baltimore through John Harbaugh and through him being on defense and me being on offense and I have a tremendous amount of respect for the football coach that he is and what he’s gong to bring to this stadium on Sunday. I also have a tremendous amount of respect for our staff and our football team and what we’re capable of doing and again we’re looking forward to this challenge.

Q: What is it about Rex that gets guys to come together and want to be great for him?

Coach Jackson: What Rex does is he collects his kind of guys. The guys that believe what he sells and that’s what it’s truly all about. He believes in winning and he’s there because he wants to win and the guys that are there I guarantee you are there because they want to win and they believe in his system. He has a way of putting people in position to make plays and I truly respect that, that’s what we’re trying to create here for our team. We want to put guys in the best position to be all they can be offense, defense and special teams. I think, not that we’re modeling after the Jets or Baltimore or any of that, it’s just my philosophy I truly believe it and I’ve been around some men who do it that way and have had success.

Q: Are you still in the process of getting your kind of guys here?

Coach Jackson: Well I think all that’s a process. I think you work through it. I think we’ve got some tremendous young players here and I think we’re getting better each and every day but again it’s still a process. I mean he’s in year three of his process. I’m in year one of mine but I’m very excited about what we’re dong, where we are and what’s here. What we have to do is continue to work and finish. That’s what we have to do.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

What might have been for Thurman

When the Jets play at Oakland on Sunday, Dennis Thurman will be coaching the visitors’ secondary. But he easily could have been the defensive coordinator for the host team.

First-year Oakland coach Hue Jackson was surprised in February when the Jets denied him permission to interview secondary coach Dennis Thurman, and his stance hadn’t changed when he spoke to reporters on a conference call earlier today. Jackson had wanted to interview Thurman for the position of Oakland’s defensive coordinator.

“If the organization has the opportunity to not let a coach move forward in his career they can do so,” Jackson said. “So I do understand the rules but I do understand that everyone has aspirations and goals they want to attain, and I know that’s something that Dennis wants to do. But obviously, it didn’t work out this time.”

“I’ve got a great coach that’s been with me for 10 years,” Jets’ coach Rex Ryan said. “I have a responsibility to this organization first and foremost. I love Dennis like a brother but I’d keep my brother, too. That’s just the way it is.

“Dennis, I think, aspires to be a head coach someday, and I think that’s the seat he’s interested in more than anything else. It is what it is. We don’t have an open-door policy and just come and take any coach you want. That’s not what we signed up for.”

“I was a little surprised,” Jackson added. “I’d known Dennis for a long time, we go way back and we worked together at USC. We have a personal relationship, but I understand the situation. You hate to lose good coaches and Dennis is a very good coach for that football team.”

Posted by J.P. Pelzman on 09/21 at 08:58 PM

New York Jets CB Antonio Cromartie Looking to Prove the Doubters Wrong

Jon Presser

New York Jets Lead Columnist

For New York Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie, it’s personal.

Cromartie knows that he was not the team’s first choice among free agent cornerbacks this past offseason.

The Jets flirted with All-Pro Nnamdi Asomugha for a little while before he signed with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Cromartie saw many cornerbacks find new homes before he eventually re-signed with the Jets, yet the 27-year-old feels that he’s a true playmaker and that he can play with the best of them.

After his incredible performance in the Jets’ Week 2 game against the Jacksonville Jaguars, Cromartie is on his way to proving all of his doubters wrong.

Cromartie was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week for his all-around performance, which included two interceptions, one o

Nick Mangold lobbying to play vs. Raiders, giving Colin Baxter pointers

BY Kevin Armstrong

Jets center Nick Mangold maintains that he plans to play Sunday against the Oakland Raiders, lobbying coach Rex Ryan and offering casual advice to his backup, Colin Baxter, the long-haired reserve readying to replace him in the starting lineup.

"He's gotta cut his hair," Mangold said of Baxter. "It's too long."

Mangold, owner of the team's fullest beard, continues to approach the looming reality that he is expected to miss the Raiders game due to a high right ankle sprain with levity, but he has also worked with Baxter to minimize any falloff if he starts Sunday.

"I'm not going to put my team in jeopardy," Mangold said.

Cornerback Antonio Cromartie was named AFC defensive player of the week for his two-interception performance in the win over the Jaguars last week.

Raiders coach Hue Jackson expressed surprise that the Jets did not allow defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman to be interviewed for Oakland's defensive coordinator job last winter when Jackson was hired.

"If the organization has the opportunity to not let a coach move forward in his career they can do so," said Jackson, a friend of Thurman who worked on the same staff at USC. "So I do understand the rules but I do understand that everyone has aspirations and goals they want to attain, and I know that's something that Dennis wants to do.

"But obviously, it didn't work out this time."

Asked whether his team needed him to "keep their spirits up" coming off a 38-35 loss to Buffalo during which they blew an 18-point lead, Jackson stopped short of making his response a Coors Light commercial.

"Keep their spirits up? We have a long season ahead of us. We're not worried about keeping our spirits up," Jackson said. "Our spirits are fine."

LB David Harris (toe), WR Santonio Holmes (quad/knee) and S Eric Smith (ankle) partook in individual drills. All three played Sunday after being listed as questionable.

In NY Jets, Oakland Raiders see a role model

Vittorio Tafur, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Print E-mail Share Comments (7) Font | Size:

-- The "b" word returned Wednesday after taking a couple of days off. Raiders coach Hue Jackson was back to talking about his team becoming bullies, now that the scars from Buffalo's 35-point second half Sunday aren't as fresh.

The Raiders (1-1) will have to play a lot tougher Sunday as the 2-0 Jets - "the bullies of the East," Jackson calls them - are coming to town.

Jackson was on the same coaching staff as New York coach Rex Ryan when they were in Baltimore in 2008, Jackson as quarterbacks coach and Ryan as defensive coordinator. Ryan has taken the Jets to the AFC Championship Game in each of his first two seasons, and Jackson thinks they have a lot in common.

"I'm not Rex and Rex is not Hue, but I'm sure we have a lot of similarities," the first-year coach said. "We believe in violent, physical, tough aggressive football teams. And I'm going to build it here. I didn't tell you it was going to happen overnight, but I'm going to build it."

The Jets players follow their brash, confident coach's lead, and while Jackson is a little more guarded and calculated in what he says, the Raiders players do feed off his confidence and energy.

"He's got that team believing what they are and they're playing that way," Jackson said. "It's going to be a very confident, strong football team that comes to the O this week. But I truly believe we're a very strong, confident team too."

Ryan also worked with Raiders special teams coach John Fassel and coached current cornerbacks coach Rod Woodson as a player when he was at Baltimore.

"They're all good guys, passionate coaches and I wish them the best except when they play us," Ryan said in a conference call with beat writers.

Does Ryan have any tips for Jackson on how to build a tough, hard-nosed team?

"I don't know," Ryan said. "I was just myself when I came here and I'm fortunate to have a lot of excellent coaches with me. It's just something that we believed, it's a style, I have one shot to be a head coach in this league and I was going to build it a certain way.

"Whether it's building a bully or playing like a Jet, whatever it is, this is who's coming in. This is our football team and this is how we play, and I guess that's kind of our trademark of how we play. We're a passionate football team, play snap to whistle."

Ryan said you have to filter out some players who, for one reason or another, just don't fit with the coach's style.

"What Rex does," Jackson said, "is Rex collects his kind of guys, the guys that believe what he sells. That's what it's truly all about. He believes in winning. He has a way of putting guys in position to make plays. I truly respect that."

Is Jackson still collecting his kind of guys?

"We have some tremendous young players here and I think we're getting better each and every day," he said. "But again it's still a process. He's in year three of his process, I'm in year one of mine."

Briefly: Jackson showed the team the video of Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez eating a hot dog on the bench at the Coliseum during the Jets' 38-0 victory over the Raiders in 2009. "I hope we can make it more interesting for him so he doesn't have to eat hot dogs," Jackson said. ... Receiver Louis Murphy (groin), out since the first days of training camp, said he won't be able to play Sunday and didn't offer up a timetable.

Home opener

Jets coach Rex Ryan is known for his bold predictions. In the week leading up to the Raiders' home opener, Oakland quarterback Jason Campbell has one of his own: The game will be sold out. The Raiders could not confirm Campbell's statement, but should know today whether the game will be sold out and televised locally. Last year, the Raiders sold out only one game - and it wasn't the home opener.

E-mail Vittorio Tafur at vtafur@sfchronicle.com.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/09/21/SPIG1L7NML.DTL#ixzz1YgRiHIcz

Mangold is still holding out hope

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 6:40 AM, September 22, 2011

Posted: 2:59 AM, September 22, 2011

More Print

No one around the Jets believes center Nick Mangold will play this Sunday with one notable exception -- Mangold.

As he tries to recover from a high right ankle sprain, Mangold said he's preparing as if he'll play against the Raiders. He did not practice yesterday, and coach Rex Ryan came close to ruling him out.

"I'll never say never," Ryan said, "but I don't see it happening this week."

Mangold was off crutches yesterday, but still was wearing a walking boot.

"In my mind, I'm preparing to play Sunday," he said. "If the ankle doesn't let me, I've prepared well."

Ryan said Mangold is lobbying to play, but he will lean on the trainers before making a decision. Colin Baxter will start if Mangold can't, and Ryan said guard Matt Slauson could move to center if needed during the game with Vlad Ducasse at guard.

Mangold said he is taking it "day to day" and has not asked about a timeline. A source said earlier this week that the Jets expect him to be out for 2-3 weeks.

When Raiders coach Hue Jackson was hired in January, he requested permission to interview Jets defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman for the team's defensive coordinator job. The Jets denied the request.

"I was a little surprised," Jackson said yesterday in a conference call. "If the organization has the opportunity to not let a coach move forward in his career, they can do so. So I do understand the rule, but I do understand that everybody does have aspirations and goals that they want to attain, and I know that's something that Dennis wants to do, but obviously it didn't work out this time."

Ryan explained why he denied the request. The Jets also denied the Titans' request to interview offensive line coach Bill Callahan for their offensive coordinator job.

"I have a responsibility to this organization first and foremost," Ryan said. "I love Dennis like a brother but I'd keep my brother, too. That's just the way it is. Dennis, I think, aspires to be a head coach someday, and I think that's the seat he's interested in more than anything else. It is what it is.

"We don't have an open-door policy and just come and take any coach you want. That's not what we signed up for."

CB Antonio Cromartie was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week after his two-interception game Sunday . . . QB Mark Sanchez on whether he'll have a hot dog on the sideline like he did in 2009: "I'll keep the food off the field." . . . The Jets will stay on East Coast time in California, meaning 8 p.m. local time bed checks.

DT Mike DeVito (shoulder), LB David Harris (toe), WR Santonio Holmes (quad), S Jim Leonhard (hamstring), S Eric Smith (ankle) and DE Muhammad Wilkerson (shoulder) were all limited in practice, but Ryan said he expects them all to play. . . . Raiders TE Kevin Boss (knee), the former Giant, practiced and is expected to play Sunday.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/mangold_is_still_holding_out_hope_1DBuXpEhVtvu7sPEPahmTK#ixzz1YgSNRdIT

Offensive line has tough task vs. rugged Raiders

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 6:41 AM, September 22, 2011

Posted: 1:56 AM, September 22, 2011

More Print

The last time Mark Sanchez visited Oakland, he got ripped for munching on a hot dog on the sideline.

This time? The Jets just hope he doesn’t end up eating the Coliseum grass.

Keeping Sanchez upright has been a problem for the Jets in the first two weeks of the season. Sanchez got hit so many times against the Cowboys he needed a concussion test. He appeared on the injury report yesterday after hitting his elbow on Jacksonville defensive end Matt Roth’s helmet Sunday.

MENTAL BLOCK: With Colin Baxter likey starting at center and anchoring his offensive line on Sunday, Mark Sanchez may not have his usual comfort level when he drops back to pass.

neil miller

MENTAL BLOCK: With Colin Baxter likey starting at center and anchoring his offensive line on Sunday, Mark Sanchez may not have his usual comfort level when he drops back to pass.

UPDATES FROM OUR JETS BLOG

This week against the Raiders, the Jets will be breaking in a new center barring a miracle recovery from Nick Mangold. The offensive line knows it has to keep Sanchez’s No. 6 clean or this could be a long season.

“He’s been getting hit a little more than we would like, in fact a lot more than we would like,” left guard Matt Slauson said. “We’re still making adjustments. Obviously, if Nick is out, there’s another adjustment there with a new center.”

The Raiders have a mammoth three-man defensive tackle rotation with Richard Seymour (6-6, 310 pounds), Tommy Kelly (6-6, 300) and John Henderson (6-7, 335). The Raiders have six sacks this season. You can be sure they will attack new center Colin Baxter.

“I do think [the Raiders will do] that,” Slauson said. “All of last year [his first as a starter] I was targeted. The great thing about the center position is you have help almost all of the time so I don’t think it will be an issue.”

The lineman who has received the most criticism has been right tackle Wayne Hunter. The veteran backup became a starter this year when Damien Woody retired. In Week 1, Cowboys linebacker DeMarcus Ware blew by him on the game’s first play to sack Sanchez, and that started a long night. This week, Hunter was beaten by Roth on the play where Sanchez injured his arm. He also had two penalties in the game.

Despite the rough start, Jets coach Rex Ryan defended Hunter.

“He got beat one time so we focus on that, and he had two penalties but Wayne Hunter does a great job,” Ryan said. “I think we also need to focus on the rest of the game and how he’s played in the past here. He did have four starts during crunch time last year at the end of the season and in some of the playoff games and he played great against great competition. I think Wayne’s going to be just fine.”

Sanchez, for his part, said he can do a better job of getting rid of the ball quicker to avoid hits.

“As competitive as I am, I want to get the best of a play and make sure we use its full potential even when things break down,” Sanchez said, “so some of the time you’ve just got to say, ‘uncle’ and let it go and avoid a hit. There’s a handful of situations already in two games that are some hits I don’t need to take. I’m taking them because I’m stringing out the play. I’m not worried about it. We’ll clean things up and I’ve got to get rid of the ball.”

Both Ryan and Sanchez said his arm is fine. He took every snap in practice yesterday. He was listed on the injury report because he received treatment on the elbow. Ryan took the blame for the play because he called for a pass to try to get Plaxico Burress a catch.

“I could have protected him on that one,” Ryan said. “We’re all talking about that one because he took a hit versus the three-man rush. That happened. We can’t take that back. Everybody gets hit in this league. . . . You try your best to protect your quarterback, especially a franchise-type quarterback. But, at the same time, the nature of the game says you’re going to get hit.”

brian.costello@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/offensive_line_has_tough_task_vs_fMbYAD4cntkW0NBDMCIcaL#ixzz1YgSnCHk0

Plax thinking big

Jets Blog

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Last Updated: 6:41 AM, September 22, 2011

Posted: 1:56 AM, September 22, 2011

If you see a different, wider-eyed look on Plaxico Burress’ face Sunday in Oakland, where the Jets play the Raiders, this will be the reason why: man-to-man coverage.

That’s a staple of the Raiders’ defense, and Burress, who felt suffocated by the cornerback-safety bracketed coverage he faced last Sunday against the Jaguars, welcomes it.

UPDATES FROM OUR JETS BLOG

Because of the Raiders’ scheme, Burress is quietly thinking Sunday has the potential to be his breakout game as a Jet after he was shut out by the Jaguars.

“If you’re a receiver this is the kind of game you want to play in — against up-close-and-personal man-to-man coverage where it’s mano-a-mano,” Burress said yesterday. “If you can beat man-to-man coverage you can do great things in this league. That’s one of the first things Cris Carter told me when I first got into the league. He said, ‘If you can beat man-to-man coverage you can play forever.’

“I’ve played in these games before. They’re fun. From a receiver standpoint you love to play in these types of games. I’m fired up and ready to go.”

Burress has shown no outward signs of being agitated by not having a catch in Sunday’s 32-3 win over the Jaguars in a game in which backup tight end Matt Mulligan had two of his three career receptions.

Even so, Rex Ryan went so far out of his way to try to get Burress onto the stat sheet with a catch that he got Mark Sanchez’s right elbow bruised from a hit he took while dropping back to pass late in the game with a huge lead.

Burress said he wasn’t aware that Ryan was trying to get him a catch, but appreciated the gesture.

“That’s one of the reasons why I came here,” he said. “I know what kind of guy he is, what type of coach he is. He supports his players 100 percent. He wants to see his players succeed.”

Ryan sounded excited about the possibilities for Burress and the receivers against the Raiders, whose defense got lit up for 38 points by Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Bills on Sunday.

Ryan said he expects more opportunities on the outside against the Raiders because of their man-to-man scheme.

The Jaguars’ double coverage on Burress resulted in a big game for Jets tight end Dustin Keller, who had six catches for 101 yards and a touchdown.

“He knows there’ll be days that teams try to take him out at all costs and other days when he has huge day, like on Oakland this week he could put up 150 yards and a few scores,” Keller said. “He’s a tall guy that catches everything thrown his way and he can run, so he’s a threat. [The Jaguars] tried to take him out any way they could and that opened things up for me.

“If teams continue to do that, as long as Mark and I are on same page, they’ll have to close that and start freeing those guys up on the outside and that’s going to be an even bigger problem for them.”

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/plax_thinking_big_V3X89tn9CAKyDpsDDX5n1L#ixzz1YgT4W8k6

Young Sanchez has seen, done a lot already

Jets Blog

Last Updated: 6:42 AM, September 22, 2011

Posted: 1:57 AM, September 22, 2011

It isn’t just that every pass Mark Sanchez throws is scrutinized the way medical students study a cadaver in Gross Anatomy. Or that every decision is either lauded too loudly or lamented too resoundingly.

Or that every time he puts the ball on the ground someone applies for federal disaster relief. Or that when the ball lands in an opposite-colored jersey there is abounding panic.

Maybe that kind of thing would have happened

10 years ago, 20 years ago, 30 years ago. Maybe the education of a young quarterback always has been a public gauntlet that only the strongest — of both arm and spirit — can survive.

“It’s different now,” coach Rex Ryan said. “Now, the way the colleges are playing, kids are used to throwing the ball 50 times a game. There isn’t as much of an adjustment so there’s a quicker timetable on them.”

Yes, that’s part of it.

Still, when you consider Mark Sanchez’s career — which constitutes all of 33 regular-season games so far — it is as big a testament to both the obsessive way the sport is followed now, as well as the city in which he works and the position he plays. Even with such a small sample size, Sanchez seems to run into a reference point every week.

Think of it:

n Last week, with Jacksonville in town, he was constantly reminded of his odd decision a few years ago of writing down prepared remarks for his postgame press conference. (“Not sure what I was thinking there,” he said.)

n This Sunday he will play the Raiders in Oakland, site not only of a resounding 38-0 Jets win in 2009 but also where he was caught on camera eating a hot dog on the sidelines. (“Bad choice on my part,” he said. “I disrespected the game.”)

n Next week, it’ll be Baltimore, which will conjure memories of last year’s opener, when hands were wringing all across New York, folks wondering if Sanchez would ever be what he’s supposed to be. Then New England, with all the attendant ghosts and comparisons. Then San Diego (victim of one of his four playoff road wins!) and Buffalo (beneficiary of those six picks his rookie year!) and Denver (remember last year’s escape?!) . . . and on and on and on.

“I’ve been lucky,” Sanchez said. “I’ve had a lot of different experiences in a very short period of time.”

Some of them have been good. Some have been a bit less than that. Some of them are things that would cause great celebration or great concern regardless of era. But most of them wouldn’t. In 1966, third-year pro Joe Namath wouldn’t have had a TV camera spy him eating a frank, there were no postgame press conferences so there would’ve been no need to prepare like a presidential debater, there was no talk radio to fuel the public’s schizophrenic mood swings.

Namath is always a good reference point for any Jets quarterback, of course, because he authored the one signature moment in the team’s history. But it’s also especially useful to think about what he was in the middle and late ’60s, as the team grew into a contender with him as its foundation. Teammate Gerry Philbin once described those years thusly:

“We knew we’d be OK once the quarterback caught up to the rest of us.”

The young Namath was addicted to interceptions, as drawn to high-risk throws into double coverage as he was to Johnny Walker Red. The Jets were good enough to make playoff runs in 1966 (Namath’s second year, but he killed them in a 2-6-1 closing stretch after a 4-0-1 start) and ’67 (his 4,007 passing-yards season, when 7-2-1 became 8-5-1 thanks to nine Namath picks in three late losses). Most Jets fans of that vintage instantly can recall Week 3 in ’68, when Namath threw five INTs, three of which were returned for touchdowns, handing the Bills their only win of that season.

Maybe the question isn’t whether Namath could have done what he did the rest of ’68 if he roamed in Sanchez’s world; it’s whether he would ever have made it to 1968 at all. Tough town. Tough gig.

“Nothing like it in the world,” Sanchez said, and it’s good that he feels that way. Tough kid.

michael.vaccaro@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/young_sanchez_has_seen_done_lot_NNwMCzQMf3rqYorZqC0GbM#ixzz1YgTNjXJk

Raiders notes: Jets plan to run

By Matt Kawahara

mkawahara@sacbee.com

Published: Thursday, Sep. 22, 2011 - 12:00 am | Page 3C

ALAMEDA – Even with Jets center Nick Mangold likely to miss Sunday's game in Oakland, the Raiders are expecting to see an offense that will attempt to pound the ball against them on the ground.

Mangold, a three-time Pro Bowl selection who has started 82 consecutive games, reportedly suffered a high ankle sprain in New York's 32-3 win over Jacksonville.

If he cannot go, the next man up is Colin Baxter, an undrafted rookie from Arizona whom the Jets acquired off waivers earlier this month.

"There's only one Nick Mangold in the league," Jets coach Rex Ryan said on a conference call Wednesday. "But we've had to replace good players in the past.

"As long as you're wearing that Jet decal, you're expected to play at a certain level and a certain temperament," Ryan said. "The next guy will be Baxter, and I'm sure he'll do a good job."

Regardless of who is snapping the ball, Oakland defensive tackle Tommy Kelly said, the Jets likely will not try to spread out the Raiders' defense like Buffalo did last weekend.

"They're gonna try to run that ball down our throat – Shonn Greene, (LaDainian Tomlinson) – get that fullback up on our linebackers and try to get on the second level," Kelly said. "It will be a big-boy pad game."

Kelly said the Jets run often on first and second downs to try to establish the tempo of the game, and that it will be up to the defensive line to disrupt that tempo by creating penetration on early downs and forcing New York into third-and-long situations.

He shrugged off the fact that in two games – both wins – the Jets are averaging just 73 yards on the ground and Greene leads the team with 75 total rushing yards.

"They gonna run the ball regardless," Kelly said.

Tackle Richard Seymour said the fact he may be lining up across from a rookie in his first career start rather than an All-Pro at center isn't changing his game preparation.

Boss practices – Tight end Kevin Boss participated in a full practice for the first time since suffering a knee injury in the Raiders' Aug. 20 exhibition game against the 49ers.

Boss said he expects to play against the Jets.

"I feel like I was ready to make that step," Boss said. "Just excited to get a few more reps and get things progressing toward playing this week."

Injury update – Cornerbacks Chris Johnson (groin) and DeMarcus Van Dyke (knee), and wide receivers Jacoby Ford (hamstring) and Louis Murphy (groin) did not participate in practice.

Quarterback Jason Campbell (foot), running back Darren McFadden (shoulder), wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey (knee), kicker Sebastian Janikowski (left foot) and safety Jerome Boyd (knee) were limited.

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/09/22/3929128/key-injury-wont-keep-jets-from.html#ixzz1YgTpKISg

Jets' Plaxico Burresss looking forward to facing Raiders' defense

Published: Thursday, September 22, 2011, 4:15 AM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Plaxico Burress still recalls the wisdom Cris Carter, a Hall of Fame-finalist receiver, shared with him 11 years ago, when Burress was drafted into the NFL.

“If you can beat man-to-man coverage in this league,” Burress said today, “you can play forever.”

Burress relishes that challenge, which is why he is looking forward to this week’s game at Oakland. The Raiders are known for being a man-to-man coverage team, which, when exploited, can create chances on the outside for talented receivers.

It’s a change from the Jacksonville Jaguars’ cover-2 scheme with two deep safeties. In the Jets’ 32-3 victory over Jacksonville last week, the Jaguars rolled coverage to Burress and doubled him on all but about two snaps, by the receiver’s own count.

“(Oakland) is a man-cover team, with that safety deep in the post,” coach Rex Ryan said. “You’re seeing a little more split safety out of them, but that’s not an Al Davis team. An Al Davis team has that safety in the post. I expect more opportunities on the outside this week.”

Burress’ opportunities were limited last week. He was targeted just twice by quarterback Mark Sanchez, none until the fourth quarter, and was held without a catch for the first time since a January 2006 playoff loss to the Panthers with the Giants.

Burress said both he and the team were surprised he drew double teams, after a 20-month prison sentence for illegal gun possession kept him away from the game for nearly three years. But he also mentioned another factor affecting his chances: adjusting to a “different role” in the Jets offense.

Burress said there are certain offensive packages he is not included in. He does not know if his role will grow, deferring to the coaching staff.

“It’s different for me,” Burress said. “I’ve always been a guy that’s been on the field all the time. I just take it as, I’m just not in a certain package or whatever it may be, maybe I don’t fit the scheme of whatever they’re trying to do at that particular point.

“That’s something I’m going to have to probably get used to. Ride a bike or whatever on the sidelines. Stay warm.”

Burress played 35 snaps Sunday, by an unofficial count, about two-thirds of the plays with the first-team offense. The Jets ran 52 offensive plays with Sanchez, before Mark Brunell replaced him for the final five plays.

Burress played a greater slice of the snaps — about 80 percent — in the opener against the Cowboys, when he recorded four catches for 72 yards and a touchdown. He admitted he was a bit winded in the fourth quarter of his first full game since his return, but he said conditioning was not a factor in his playing time Sunday.

For comparison, Santonio Holmes unofficially participated in 43 snaps, though Holmes said that number was reduced by design because of his quad/knee injury.

Burress sometimes came off the field for two and three-tight end sets and the Jets’ heavy goal-line package. He also was not used in one particular “21 personnel grouping” used four times, with two backs, tight end Matt Mulligan and Holmes and Patrick Turner as the receivers.

The Jets’ plan was to start off Burress at the ‘X’ or split end position, where he is most comfortable. The offense also has tags, designed to get a certain player the ball, in which Burress could be moved around.

“When they came here, I took it as they had a plan for me, things they wanted me to do,” Burress said. “So I’m just trying to fulfill that role, whatever they ask. Certain packages, I’m just not in.”

More coverage:

The Jets have gone out of their way to create opportunities for Burress, notably asking Sanchez to throw toward him in the red zone in the fourth quarter of the Jacksonville game. The Jets were comfortably ahead, and Sanchez took a hit that bruised his throwing arm.

This week, chances for Burress could be easier to come by.

“He could have a lot of opportunities, if we see a lot of man-to-man, this week,” Sanchez said. “We want to use our best matchups when possible, but it could be a good day for the backs or the tight ends, and he understands. ... He’s got a really good feel for this and the longevity of the season, so he’s not fazed by this at all.”

For more Jets coverage, follow Jenny Vrentas on Twitter at twitter.com/Jennyvrentas

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

Plaxico is OK with his role in the Jets' offense

Thursday, September 22, 2011 Last updated: Thursday September 22, 2011, 4:14 AM

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

The Record

FLORHAM PARK – Three days after the fact, Rex Ryan still was issuing mea culpas for his questionable decision to let Mark Sanchez throw the ball with a 26-point lead Sunday against Jacksonville.

Sanchez practiced full Wednesday, yet still was on the injury list with an elbow problem because he is receiving treatment for it.

"That's the [elbow] that got hit on the ill-advised pass play," Ryan said with a hint of playful sarcasm in his voice. He added, "I can take" the criticism.

Ryan had Sanchez throwing because he wanted to get Plaxico Burress a reception. Funny thing is the often-vociferous wideout hadn't complained at all about being blanked that day and hasn't done so since.

Sanchez, who noted he was fine physically, also said Wednesday that Burress knows the season is "a marathon. He's in it for the long haul. He has a really good feel for this and the longevity of the season, so he's not fazed about it all."

Burress figures to get more opportunities this week. The Jaguars played a lot of Cover-2, guarding the outside closely but leaving space over the middle for tight end Dustin Keller, who had six catches, including a touchdown. Jacksonville often rolled its coverage toward the 6-foot-5 Burress, who was targeted only twice.

Oakland, however, primarily has been a man-to-man coverage team as long as Al Davis has been in charge, and that philosophy doesn't figure to change this weekend.

"If you're a wide receiver," Burress said, "these are the kind of games you love to play in. It's up close and personal, man-to-man, mano-a-mano, to see who is the better guy. I've played in these games before — they're fun and competitive."

Sanchez said, "He could have some opportunities if we see a lot of man-to-man this week," but Sanchez also said he'll do "whatever the game dictates."

Burress had four catches for 72 yards and a touchdown in the opener against Dallas but didn't have a reception until the second half. But even Burress, with his long wingspan, can't catch the ball when he is on the sideline. And part of the reason Burress isn't being targeted as often is so far, he is playing only the split-end position, or "X," as it is called in the Jets' system.

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said before the regular season began that he didn't want to put too much on Burress' plate, considering he is learning a new offense.

Burress understands that, even though he rarely came off the field on offense while with the Giants.

"I'm pretty comfortable with the things that I have to do," he said. "I'm learning as much as I can every day in the meetings and different things like that.

"It's different for me," he admitted. "It's a different role because I've always been a guy that has been on the field all the time. I just take it as, I'm just not in a certain package or whatever it may be. Maybe I don't fit the scheme of whatever they're trying to do at that particular point. I just try to perfect whatever they have for me when I'm in the game."

When will he get more snaps? "That I don't know," he replied. "That's something you'd have to ask the coaches."

As for his overall experience as a Jet thus far, he said, "It's fun. The guys here are really close. We do a lot of things outside of football.

"We come to work [and] we have fun. The goal is to win a championship and that hunger, coming here every day, it gets you motivated. It makes you want to come in here and work hard every day and help your fellow teammates get to that point."

Nick Mangold maintains he plans to play for NY Jets vs. Oakland Raiders despite high ankle sprain

BY Kevin Armstrong

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, September 22nd 2011, 4:00 AM

Rex Ryan runs the Jets defense through drills at Wednesday's practice.

Howard Simmons/News

Jets center Nick Mangold maintains he plans to play Sunday against the Oakland Raiders despite a high right ankle sprain, lobbying Rex Ryan and offering casual advice to his backup, Colin Baxter, the reserve readying to stand in for him.

"He's gotta cut his hair," Mangold said of Baxter. "It's too long."

Mangold, owner of the Jets' fullest beard, continues to approach the looming reality that he is expected to miss the Raiders game with levity and a mentality that he will not sit. Still, he has worked with Baxter to minimize any fall-off if Baxter starts on Sunday. No longer on crutches, Mangold remains in a walking boot. He is preparing as if his inclusion in the lineup for the 83rd consecutive game will happen.

"I'm not going to put the team in detriment over a number," he said.

WAY TO GO, CRO!

Cornerback Antonio Cromartie was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week for his two-interception performance in the 32-3 win over the Jaguars. "It's a building block for confidence," Cromartie said. "But it's just an award."

REACTION JACKSON

Raiders coach Hue Jackson was surprised the Jets did not allow secondary coach Dennis Thurman to be interviewed for Oakland's defensive coordinator job last winter when Jackson was hired. "If the organization has the opportunity to not let a coach move forward in his career they can do so," said Jackson, a friend of Thurman's who worked with him on the same staff at USC. "So I do understand the rules but I do understand that everyone has aspirations and goals they want to attain. I know that's something that Dennis wants."

Ryan reemphasized his relationship with Thurman, who was with him in Baltimore previously. "I love Dennis like a brother," Ryan said. "We don't have an open-door policy where you can come and take any coach you want."

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!

Asked whether his team needed him to "keep their spirits up" coming off a 38-35 loss to Buffalo during which the Raiders blew an 18-point lead, Jackson stopped short of making his response a Coors Light commercial.

"Keep their spirits up? We have a long season ahead of us. We're not worried about keeping our spirits up," Jackson said. "Our spirits are fine."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/09/22/2011-09-22_mangold_wont_count_himself_out.html#ixzz1YgVNkCQ4

What Injury? Jets’ Mark Sanchez ‘Feels Great,’ Ready For Raiders

September 22, 2011 7:57 AM

Share thisNEW YORK (WFAN/AP) – What’s all the fuss about? Mark Sanchez’s banged-up right arm feels fine, and so does his elbow.

So, hearing that his name was on the Jets’ injury report Wednesday surprised him a bit.

“They feel good,” the quarterback said of his arm and elbow. “Our training staff, they’re the best. They got me ready to roll. I took every rep in practice, so I feel good.”

Sanchez hit his arm on the helmet of Jacksonville’s Matt Roth late in New York’s 32-3 rout last Sunday. It was his last throw of the game, a pass intended to try to get Plaxico Burress a catch.

“I just banged it a little bit on the helmet,” he said. “You get your throwing motion and momentum going at a helmet, and then you hit something. It makes it hurt a little more and it freaks everybody out because it’s your throwing shoulder and stuff, but honestly, it feels great.”

Coach Rex Ryan acknowledged that Sanchez is “fine” and the notation on the injury report was purely a procedural thing.

“All we do there is we recognize that he’s getting treatment,” Ryan said. “He gets ice and all that stuff.”

But, that’s two games and two weeks of health concerns. Last week, Sanchez had concussion tests after taking a pounding from Dallas in the opener. This week, there were some initial fears about his arm – particularly when he first came out of the game holding it and appearing to be in some discomfort.

“I’m just trying to stand in there and get rid of the ball when I can and eliminate a lot of hits, especially along the sidelines trying to string out plays,” he said. “Some of the time, you just have to say `uncle’ and avoid a hit. There’s a handful of situations already, in two games, some hits that I don’t need to take. I’m taking them because I’m just stringing out the play. I’m not worried about it, but we’ll clean things up and I have to get rid of the ball.”

Some have pointed to the offensive line, which has a new right tackle in Wayne Hunter and hasn’t gotten off to a great start, as evidenced by the Jets’ sluggish running game through two weeks. All-Pro center Nick Mangold might also miss the first game of his career because of a high ankle sprain, raising more potential concerns about keeping Sanchez upright.

“Obviously, you try your best to protect your quarterback, especially a franchise-type quarterback,” Ryan said. “At the same time, the nature of the game says you’re going to get hit.”

Despite the bumps and bruises, Sanchez has helped lead the Jets to a 2-0 start and faces three straight road games, starting in Oakland. He knows he still has plenty to do to improve an offense that ranks 21st overall in the league. Part of that involves developing his on-field relationship with veteran receivers Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason.

“Whatever the game dictates, that’s how I feel,” Sanchez said. “If it’s 50 passing yards or 500 passing yards, it doesn’t matter to me. I’m sure the wideouts want their touches. That’s fine. They should. They’re competitive. If we rush for a million yards or throw for them, it doesn’t matter as long as we get the win and take care of the football.”

Sanchez has established an early season connection with tight end Dustin Keller, who has 11 catches for 162 yards and two scores, and wide receiver Santonio Holmes, who has caught nine passes for 112 yards and a touchdown. But Burress had no catches after having four, including a touchdown, in the opener.

Part of that, though, has been due to Burress seeing double teams from the Cowboys and Jaguars and freeing up other receivers. Both Burress and Ryan estimated the wide receiver saw double coverage on all but two plays when he was on the field against Jacksonville, a surprising sign of respect considering he is still getting back into the game after serving 20 months in prison on a gun charge.

“It was something that we didn’t expect and I didn’t expect,” Burress said.

While Ryan tried in vain to keep Burress from getting shut out, he also took blame for Sanchez getting banged up because of the play. Burress hasn’t complained at all, and Sanchez appreciates his attitude.

“He knows we’re (in) Week 2 of a marathon,” Sanchez said. “He’s in it for the long haul. He has a really good feel for this and the longevity of the season, so he’s not fazed about it at all.”

Meanwhile, Burress and Sanchez will continue to work on their rapport while the receiver also adjusts to a slightly smaller role than the one he’s used to.

“I’ve always been a guy that’s been on the field all the time,” Burress said. “I just take it as I’m just not in a certain package or whatever it may be, or maybe I don’t for the scheme of whatever they are trying to do at that particular point. I just try to perfect whatever that they have for me when I’m in the game.”

This week could provide the perfect opportunity for Burress to shine with Oakland playing a lot of man-to-man coverage.

“If you’re a wide receiver, these are the kinds of games that you love to play in: up close and personal, man to man,” he said. “See who’s the better guy. I’ve played in these games before. They’re fun, they’re competitive.”

Notes: CB Antonio Cromartie was selected the AFC’s defensive player of the week after getting two interceptions in the win over Jacksonville. … WR Scotty McKnight, the team’s seventh-round draft pick, was signed to the practice squad after being among the final cuts before the season. McKnight, a childhood buddy of Sanchez, said he spent the last few weeks home in Southern California staying in shape.

Sep 22nd 2011

Jets Mangold wants to play Sunday

AUTHOR: Marc A. Greenberg |

Jets center Nick Mangold has not given up hope that he will be able to play Sunday against the Oakland Raiders.

For Nick Mangold, 82 consecutive games is something he doesn’t take lightly. The New York Jets Center, who suffered a high right ankle sprain against the Jacksonville Jaguars, refuses to rule himself out of Sunday’s game.

“In my mind, I’m preparing to play Sunday,” Mangold said Wednesday. “If the ankle doesn’t let me, I’ve prepared well.”

While Mangold is positive, reports are that he will be out for at least 2-3 weeks.

“I’ll never say never but I don’t see it happening this week,” Jets head coach Rex Ryan said of Mangold suiting up.

Colin Baxter, a rookie from Arizona, will start if Mangold cannot play.

Mangold has even thought of bribing Ryan to let him play. “Please,” Mangold said. “That usually is a good way to start. Plus, it’s out in Oakland. That’s close to wine country. I’m sure I can get him a nice bottle while we’re out there. I figure that might help.”

Thursday Practice report

September, 22, 2011

Sep 22

12:47

PM ET

By Jane McManus

Nick Mangold was not on the Jets practice field for the second straight day, and Colin Baxter continued to take snaps at center for the veteran. Mangold sustained a high ankle sprain to his right leg during the win over the Jaguars last Sunday.

The Jets will leave Friday for the cross-country trip to Oakland for a 4 p.m. game this Sunday, and will likely make the decision on whether or not to take Mangold within the next 24 hours. Jets coach Rex Ryan has already said it's doubtful Mangold will go, but the center has been lobbying for a shot.

More likely is that Baxter, a rookie, will get his first NFL start in the Black Hole.

DT Marcus Dixon came out a bit late, and all other Jets were present accounted for. WR Logan Payne and OL Rob Turner, bit with broken limbs, were absent as expected.

By Rich Cimini

Mark Sanchez can laugh about it now. Back then, not so much.

In the final seconds of the Jets' blowout win at Oakland in 2009, the then-rookie quarterback was seen on camera eating a hot dog on the bench. He tried to hide it, but his jaw chomping was impossible to miss. It started a firestorm of criticism -- one of a few embarrassing rookie moments for Sanchez.

The Jets are headed back to Oakland this weekend. You think some of their fans will remind him of Hot Dog Gate? Absolutely.

"It wasn't very respectful to the game and other guys playing, and that's not the way I wanted it to be, and that's not the kind of player I am," Sanchez said Wednesday. "So it's a mistake you learn from."

Sanchez actually bumped into the CBS cameraman at a later date. He said the cameraman apologized.

"He's like, 'Man, I feel bad, that thing turned into a big deal for you, huh?'" he said. "I was like, 'You have no idea.'"

Some good came out of it. A few days later, Sanchez bought a large quantity of hot dogs for a homeless shelter near the Jets' facility.

STUCK IN MUD: After two weeks, the Jets' rushing attack has produced only 146 yards, 28th in the league. Now they're about to face the Raiders, who are giving up an average of 127.5 per game (27th) and 6.7 per carry.

Rex Ryan likes his chances against the Raiders, but it will be interesting to see howthe Jets try to run the ball. The Raiders were gashed last week by the Bills' spread formations. In other words, the Bills spread the field with receivers and ran against the Raiders' nickel and dime packages.

If anyone deserves a punch in the face it's this ******* clown. Cimini is a TERRIBLE NY reporter. Who the hell cares if Sanchez ate a hotdog on the sidelines during a blowout??? Only Rich would remember something so stupid and bring it up 2 years later. People get hungry. They eat. Other QBs ate on the sidelines last year, and none got criticized for it except Sanchez. The funny thing is I bet nobody even cared EXCEPT Cimini. He's probably the one who started the criticism in the first place.

Jaguars receiver apologized to wired Jets' Ryan

1:57 PM, September 22, 2011 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

Jets coach Rex Ryan and Jaguars wide receiver Jason Hill had a brief chat on the field before Sunday's game.

The exchange was caught on tape by NFL Films because Ryan wore a microphone for the game. Hill, who did not play, called Darrelle Revis and the Jets overhyped last week, but he told Ryan, "They took that the wrong way."

Ryan laughed and said, "You know we were going to roll coverage up on you."

Hill then asked Ryan to tell the Jets he didn't mean anything by his comments.

"It ain't no biggie," Ryan said.

The scene was featured on "Sound FX" on the NFL Network. The show also showed Ryan calling his teenage son, Seth, over to get some face time and asking him what the Jets defense should do.

"I think we need to blitz more," Seth said.

Ryan also cursed out the referees after a review that did not go the Jets way. Former Jets CB Dwight Lowery heard it from Ryan when he gave up a pass along the Jets sideline.

"Lowery, how about that catch," Ryan said.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jaguars_receiver_apologized_to_wired_BNrmjwKmJf4MFeIUMn5jWJ#ixzz1YiAzigZf

Remember the offseason?

September, 22, 2011

Sep 22

12:00

PM ET

By James Walker

Welcome to our first installment of "Remember the offseason?" It's a look back at some of the zany comments and incorrect predictions made from our AFC East community.

This time, we're not going to name names (warning shot). But occasionally we will run this post as a way to keep everyone accountable in the AFC East.

Enjoy.

New England Patriots

"I have New England in third place this year...a patched back together D and an O-line full of grannys."

"You only have to wait five weeks for the proof the Patriots are overrated in the East. You're off to a bad start Walker."

"The Pats are also overrated. I look forward to seeing how well the Bill Belichick's system holds up as [Tom] Brady ages."

Miami Dolphins

"Someone copy and save this: If Dolphins O-line gels and plays solid, Fins win AFC EAST."

"Dolphins have a top defense and if we can get our offense clicking we should be able to make a run at the playoffs."

"[The Dolphins] have an improved OL, and their defense was top 7. They have a new OC that has tailored to offense to Henne's strengths, who consequentially has played excellent in the preseason. It just doesn't make any sense. Miami is at worst a 9-7 team."

New York Jets

"

Yes the debate should be Sanchez vs. Marino, cause Sanchez has already crushed Henne."

"My cousin says our Jets are in really BIG trouble! We make CRAP moves while the rest of the division Improves! Boy! Do we STINK!" (I think most people know who this is.)

"The Jets will go 8-8, they will not get those 3 gift OT games like they did last year."

Buffalo Bills

"NE 10-6, NYJ 8-8, BUF 3-13, MIA 2-14."

"Rebuilding would imply that the Bills have been previously built."

"To talk about the Bills for a bit, the offense will be abysmal this year. Fitz will come back down to earth, Spiller will be exposed as I think Gailey will foolishly try to play him more than Freddy. Steve Johnson will be disappointing without Lee Evans drawing double teams all day, and the O-line is the worst it's been in a while and that's saying something."

Remember the offseason?

Archived