Herm Interview - 11/25/05

Maxman

On injuries.

Out is (Jay) Fiedler, still, (Derrick) Blaylock, David Barrett. Sione Pouha is out. He strained his calf in practice yesterday. Harry Williams is still out. (John) Abraham is probable. (Brooks) Bollinger, probable. That's it. Curtis Martin is probable, they all practiced, they should be fine.

On David Barrett's eye.

It's pretty bad obviously. They're trying to get him squared away to play. He actually went and got a second opinion and the second guy told him the same thing. Can't do it. Hopefully next week he can start practicing. We'll see where he's at. Just add it to everything else; another day at the office.

On Kliff Kingsbury.

I think he's excited if he has to go in the game. He's excited; I'm interested. He's been fine, he really has. Even when he wasn't playing he was here in the morning, early, watching tape. He's studying it and trying to get it. It's tough. It's tough to be in his position. He hasn't gotten a lot of reps on our offense when he arrived here. Now all the sudden he might be pressed if something should happen to go play, which would be fine. We have some things we feel he can do well and try to orchestrate it.

On what particularly he thinks Kingsbury does well.

He throws fairly well, he really does. He's got a pretty good arm, has a good feel of routes and anticipation for where the ball should go. He reads coverages pretty good. Last game he was in he threw two of them, check down and a nice out. He set a record- we played five of them (QB) in a season.

On if he thinks Kingsbury might have to go in because of the season thus far and injuries.

If it keeps happening the way it's been happening, probably right. Might even see Doug Jolley before it's all over with. I hope that doesn't happen. Hopefully the injuries are done and left here, I said that to our coaching staff yesterday. We're running out of games, so eventually they're going to have to stop. I think our team has done a good job of dealing with the situation. I think the young guys and the players that have the opportunity to play are doing a good job, they really are. They're focused, they're practicing and doing what they're asked to do and that's all you can ask of them.

On if he can tell a great QB when he sees one in practice.

You have to watch them and you have to watch them play a lot. Kliff has been a practice squad guy basically. He's thrown some drills, you see him throw some nice balls at times, but he hasn't been pressed. It's one thing to practice on seven-on-seven. It's him getting familiar now with taking the ball from the C, dropping back far enough away from the QB to throw the ball. He has to feel more comfortable doing that. When he played in college, he never took a snap from the C, he was always in the shotgun. People think it's easy to do, well he hasn't done it for four years. You have to run plays that are a little different than playing out of the shotgun, running draws and those things. The footwork, the handoff ability, how to drop back on certain routes, all of that becomes a little bit of a process for a guy. just that alone before he even throws the ball, we can't overlook that.

On how to coach not turning the ball over.

If you're a runner, if you handle the ball, once you get hit, you have to put it away; you've got to tuck it. You have to be aware, the QB when he's in the pocket, he has to be aware that when he's hit, you have to put that thing away. Some QB have a better feel than other ones. They know when the clock is dwindling, in their mind, going, "I haven't thrown this ball yet, something bad could happen." They feel that and feel the pressure and can go with the pressure and get the ball away. Sometimes a guy makes a great play and strips it out of your hand. We have to be more careful with the ball that way and the guys who have to be careful with it the most is the QB. They deal with it first. Between them and the C they touch the ball the most on the football field. C touches it as much as the QB because he hikes it to the QB. Once he gets it in his hand he has to realize he has to be very, very careful with it. When we throw the ball we have to pick our stocks. We can't force balls and we have to know when the guy's covering and that you have to tuck it or throw it away. But we cant throw it to the opponent because that's never good. If you watch games on television, if you watched the game yesterday, turnovers are big again. They get you. We've been very, very good doing that. that's how we built our team from the beginning, five years ago, by not turning the ball over, taking it away, doing the little things you have to do to win games and we won doing that. Now, I think we've turned the ball over 27 times in 10 games and since we've been here, in 16 games, we've never done that. We're minus nine. We've never been minus nine. We were plus 18 the first year, then we were plus four, even, last year plus 17, now we're minus nine. We don't function very well when we do that, no one does and I know we don't.

On a hesitation in bringing Kingsbury in the game because of the fact he came from a completely different system in high school.

Yeah, but he was in camp, obviously. Some QB come out of that system in college, but if he's a good player you have to go back to the mechanics of him doing that. That's where he's at. He's been in a camp, so he's learned it. If you've done one thing for four years, and you've been in a training camp for one or two years, and you run a different offense, different run plays, different handoffs, all that is different.

On if there is anything Kingsbury might do better coming from the offense which he did.

Yeah, the shotgun. That's what he's done. He knows how to do that. he knows how to do that real good.

On how NO running game differs from DEN.

NO is more of a power team, where DEN was more of a zone team. They're pulling guys, G and C, running power. DEN is more of a zone team, they slide and try to cut you off on the backside and reach you on the front side. It's a three spoke run, really. He has the ability to come down hill according to who gets the cutoff. Those guys, basically is how they run. It's not always pretty. They make two or three yards, two or three yards, four yards, then all the sudden they bust one for 55 like they did. They don't lose a lot of yards on first downs, the way DEN runs. Like I said going into our game, I think they only had eight minus runs. They're generally making yards on first downs, which is critical because all the sudden your second downs are much more manageable and obviously your third downs become more manageable. They're guys are more of a zone team, these guys are more of a power team. Your run fits are a little bit different this week than last week.

On a 2-9 record vs. a 3-8 record.

Any time you win you always have more energy. You're preparing a week two win and that's the hard part about it. When you don't, you run out of games and you feel like, 'I did all this and we didn't win again.' The good thing about it is that you have an obligation to come into work every day, that's part of the deal. It's like when you were in elementary school and you were sick, you got a note from your mom and you got to go home. Well, in pro football, when you're sick, you still have to come to work. I've never missed a day of work and I've been sick and everything else. When you're a player or a coach sometimes this record makes you sick, but I can't ask my wife to write me a note saying you don't have to go in today. My wife would kick me out the door and say, 'You're going to work, buddy.' You have to have enthusiasm about what you're doing because at the end of the day you still get to play ball, and you get to coach ball. That's what it's about. I see players improving and that doesn't mean you always win. But I see young guys improving and some guys getting better. Collectively that's what you have to do; you have to collectively try to put it together and win a game. You really have to like football. You can't just like it when you're 8-2. If it was last year, we were really liking football. I still like it right now. I don't like our record, it doesn't make me feel good, I don't sleep well at night. But I like coming to work, coaching the players, being around the coaches, preparing to win a game and I like when they kick the ball off because you have a chance to win a game. You have to still like that, and if you don't then you're probably in the wrong profession. If you only like it when it's good, then it's too bad because it's not always going to be good. You're going to have seasons like this and I've had some, but never one that one that was due to the situation we're in. but that's what it is and you deal with it and you continue to coach. I haven't lost energy. I haven't changed. I still get in at the same time, leave at the same time, still practice with energy, try to give players energy and in my mind try to win a game and get players better. You don't get your time in life back. That's one thing about life: you control your time. No one else controls your time, everyone gets 24 hours. I always tell people that- your time and your attitude are yours. It's a lot easier when your winning. And when you do, if we win this week, boy, you'll really feel good. You're right, it will still say we're 3-8 and, yeah, but we won a game. That's a good thing.

On opposing players being hot-heads and trying to draw fouls from them.

Yeah, I think all players know differently, especially if you've been the league and have played against those types of guys. I think in this situation, with both teams in the situation that they're in right now a lot of players are a little flustrated, so you have to be careful. I always tell them to keep your composure. It's very important to keep your composure on the field and on the boundary because everything you do gets magnified when you don't have a winning record. You know that because it makes for print, it makes a better story than your record. If you have an incident of out of character, its out of character out of body, they are going to talk more about that than what you did on the playing field. You always have to be careful about that. It's human nature. People just assume that's why you're not winning and I don't believe that. No different than any other person; you get flustrated at your kids, you may have an outburst. Well, you don't treat your kids like that all the time, you just had one of those days. The problem with those in sports is that when you're not winning people say that's why they aren't winning. I don't believe that. I know better than that. Some people believe that.

On it being a positive that there has been no fighting amongst the team.

I think that it another thing that gets blown out of proportion. I've been on winning teams where guys get mad at each other and coaches argue, players say something about guys, guys get mad and swing at them, that's been on winning teams. Like I said, when you're not winning, they write about that more, it's more to talk about because it's another reason they're not winning. When you're not winning, you're walking a fine line because any little thing that's out of the norm people are going to talk about. And that's not true, I know that's not true. Things happen. Things happen when you win and when you're not winning. I've seen players fight when they won, and I've seen them fight when they haven't won. I've seen coaches get mad at coaches when we've been winning, and I've seen coaches get mad at coaches when we've been losing. It's part of the pressure that you're under every week. And long hours and the season, everyone is drained. Even when you're winning, you're drained, believe it or not. When you win you only enjoy those wins only for the day of and day after the game. When you go home at night you're worried about next week and the pressure of it and how we have to win again. When you're losing it's the same thing except the losses are more painful. That's the business, that's part of it.

On Woody Johnson's comments and Coach Edwards' job status.

First of all, my job was never in jeopardy. I never even thought that. I don't know how that got conjured up. Mr. Johnson didn't even come out here to tell the team I was going to be the coach because the team knew that. I know that, he knows that. we've had relationship for five years that has been very, very good. He knows exactly what we're trying to do here, we're trying to build a culture of winning. Because you have a season like this doesn't mean that you're not still trying to build that culture. He understands that. I think it was very, very graceful of him to come out and speak to the team and to speak to some of the media people just to make sure they know there is no division in my mind, or Mr. Johnson's mind on where we're trying to go with this football team. I think it was a situation where he put some foreclosure on it. We don't have to talk about it. I don't have to talk about it anymore. It's good, it's closed, now we can move on to the task at hand, trying to win some games down the stretch.

On Kingsbury being the number two QB just for this week or from now on.

I can't even tell you for next week because I don't know what's going to happen this week. We'll just say this week, right now, he's number two. Anything could happen. Could be someone else next week, you never know. Vinny can still play, yeah. He would play a little hobbled, but he could still go in.

On Kingsbury having great stats in college and not being a high draft pick and bounced around from team to team.

Well, I don't know his history of why he was at different clubs or anything like that. Obviously, this is a tough league to play in, there are a lot of good players. A lot of good college players don't find a home in pro football. It's not just him, but a lot of guys. It's a hard club to join- there are only 2,200 of them in the whole world. When you figure those odds out, it's tough. I think he's done a good job of hanging around because he has some ability. He's gone to different places and different guys see that, it just hasn't worked out for him yet. That's how it works. But, he's still on the radar screen.

On if Kingsbury is a product of the system.

People think so, otherwise he wouldn't be at camp. He has some ability, he has some talent. Other than that it's him having enough time to play, and that's the problem with that position. It's not like being an offensive lineman where there are five positions up there. It's not like playing DB, there are four positions up there. QB is QB, you're not going to play a whole lot. You're not going to get a lot of opportunities, especially in camp when you bring four or five QB to camp. Depending on where you are on the depth chart the fourth and fifth guys aren't getting any reps. That kind of posses a problem, too, according to what club drafts you or signs you as a FA. Sometimes that's all guys want- they want to get in camp so that they can be seen by somebody else and hopefully you can put them in the preseason and let them play in the preseason game. I feel it's my obligation always when we bring guys in to get them in games in the preseason. We do that. We get all of our players in the game, I make sure. If they're a FA, it doesn't matter to me. I just make sure they all get some tape so if we don't keep them at least other teams can say that he's been in this game. Whether its 10 plays, 20 plays, 30 plays. You owe that to the player that comes here in March, comes here in the offseason program, comes here during training camp to at least get them in the game. You have to do that. Some coaches don't do that, but I do. If they're not here, they got on tape, maybe they went to Canada, maybe the world league, maybe indoor league, maybe they go somewhere. At least you give them a chance to get a job if it's not going to be with your football team.

On if there was a connection between Kingsbury and the Jets.

The pro guys brought him in. I think he was in DEN at one time. I think Dinger (Heimerdinger) talked to Mike Shanahan and Mike had some pretty good things to say about him. Those guys keep in contact with all of those guys, I can't keep up with all of those guys and where they're at.

On a hesitation in bringing Kingsbury in the game because of the fact he came from a completely different system in high school.

Yeah, but he was in camp, obviously. Some QB come out of that system in college, but if he's a good player you have to go back to the mechanics of him doing that. That's where he's at. He's been in a camp, so he's learned it. If you've done one thing for four years, and you've been in a training camp for one or two years, and you run a different offense, different run plays, different handoffs, all that is different.

Did somebody actually ask Herm a question about Kingsbury in High School? HUH???

Is Hermie mistaking Eakin for Kingsbury? Kingsbury didn't get signed until during the season. He wasn't in camp with the Jets.

Man, no offense but every time i read one of these i end up scratching my head in amazement. What the hell does flustrated mean? Is that a cross between frustrated and flustered? Or is that a typo? I like Herm but he reminds me of that puppy chasing his own tail. Every once in a while, he stops to ponder why he's chasing his tail, then after a moment, continues on. I feel you guys' pain at times. #-o

Archived