Bored at work so looking at 2012 draft

JayKwaz

I am not giving up at all on 2011, I am the ultimate Jet optimist. Just bored at work so I figured I would look ahead a little. Please feel free to critisize as it will give me something to do.

I would sign 1 Free agent who isn't our own:

FS Michael Griffin from Titans.

My draft:

1 - WR Nick Toon Wisconsin

2 - LB Bruce Irvin West Virginia

3 - OT Zebris Sander Florida State

4 - QB Nick Foles Arizona

5 - SS George Ilaka Boise St.

6 - DT Nicolas Jean-Baptiste Baylor (to practice squad unless he beats out MTV)

7 - assuming it will go to Packers for Schladeroff

MY 53

QB - Sanchez * McElroy * Foles

RB - Green * McKnight(KR) * Powell

FB - Connor * Baker(TE)

TE - Keller * Mulligan * Cumberland

WR - Holmes * Toon * Kerley * Turner * Payne/McKnight

LT - Brick * Sanders

LG - Slausen * Landolt/Kroul

C - Mangol * Baxter/Boggs

RG - Moore * Schlauderoff

RT - Ducasse * Hunter

DT - DeVito * Pitoitua

NT - Ellis * Teveseau

DE - Wilkerson * Dixon/Gilbert

SLB - Westerman * Mcyntire/Jones

ILB - Scott * Mauga

ILB - Harris * Bellore

WLB - Irvin * Maybin

CB - Revis * Wilson * Posey/Trufant

CB - Cromartie * Cole

FS - Griffin * Cook

SS - Leonhard * Ilaka

Nickle LB - Eric Smith

K - Nick Folk

P - TJ Conley

LS Tanner Purdum

Undrafted free agents for practice squad

QB John Brantley Florida

OL Charles Burton Montana

WR Travis Benjamin Miami

LB Sammi Brown Houston

CB Gary Gray Notre Dame

S Trent Hunter Texas A&M

I would cut Calvin Pace. With the extra cap i would front load a few contracts for a few guys to make a splash in free agency in the future. Keeoing one practice squad spot open since we seem to juggle that a lot.

You took more work going into the draft picks than I would/could, but I like to nitpick, so I will.

I think you have downgraded the defense significantly. Adding a real safety is a good start, but changing both OLBs is a recipe for disaster. I think we will see that Westerman is a slight downgrade against the run. I don't think he will be a major downgrade, but he will be worse than Thomas. Maybin is completely incapable of playing OLB in the base defense right now. I am not confident that he will improve enough by next season. You completely forgot about Pouha. The starting DLine should be Devito - Pouha - WIlkerson with Ellis coming off the bench. If Pouha is still there then I don't see as much trouble. I don't see the purpose in drafting another NT unless they feel he is a real value. They obviously like Tevesau, but he's on the practice squad, so no roster spot. Same thing with Gilbert.

I'm not a huge fan of Burress or Mason, but they probably will want at least one other experienced WR unless Kerley really takes off. Considering our passing offense they probably both will be available cheap but may not want to return. I am probably the guy's biggest supporter here, but the idea of letting Ducasse start at RT is a pipe dream. If things don't take a huge change for the better I would expect a 1st rounder and/or a high level FA for RT. I don't like the idea of McElroy and a rookie as backup QBs. Brunell isn't much to lose, but I'd expect some experience. Mulligan has looked pretty sh*tty so far. He has had a few false start penalties and drops. Keller, Cumberland and Baker are all smaller pass catching TEs, but the Jets need another real banger.

Based on what I've seen so far I would look to upgrade Conley, but who knows who will shake loose, so I certainly don't blame you for not adressing that.

When i looked over the possible free agents, I just didn't see much as big upgrades. With that in mind I was taking a promote and grow from within aproach so i didn't overpay anyone. As fas as Pouha I believe he is a free agent and I was looking to save money since they do seem to like MTV.

With WR in mind I wanted another young guy to grow with Sanchez and be here for the long haul. Let him get into a comfort zone with his skill players. I may be the only one but I like Mulligan and think he could be useful once he gets his head straight with the penalties. He showed in the pre-season he had hands. With the QB again I cuold only go with who would be a free agent and not cut and my first choice would be Shaun Hill, but for the money is he that much better then McElroy. Plus I like Foles and if Sanchez doesn't earn a second contract we could have a future QB in waiting.

With Vlad I am hoping we see vast improvement as the season goes on and he gets more work. Otherwise I would have to change the Toon pick to a RT and go after a free agent WR like Robert Meacham.

On a side note thanks for taking the time to read it and pick at it.

• 4 months later...

Archived