Jets News 10-14

flgreen

This Week Jets Are Building a Brick Foundation

Posted by Randy Lange on October 13, 2011 – 5:14 pm

Brick is the nickname of the Jets’ left tackle. But this week it’s also a metaphor for the preparations this week for the Jets’ Monday night game against the Dolphins.

Stack the bricks.

Head coach Rex Ryan used the phrase at the end of his Wednesday news conference and the players have seen the saying around the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center this week. It is from the family of NFL and sports catchphrases that also include Eating the Elephant and Chopping Wood. It is the way the Jets plan on digging out of their 2-3 hole with a win over the winless Dolphins.

“I experienced this two other times in my career as head coach,” Ryan said of suffering through three-game losing streaks. “The only way we fixed it back then was by working hard, trying to get better each day, and that’s what we’re doing now.”

The brick-stacking has taken several different forms. Ryan and his staff instituted a basketball/hockey horn that went off several seconds after the snap with the idea of improving the offense’s tempo. The O made improvement from the Ravens to the Patriots but not enough, so the horn is back.

“Especially with this team,” Ryan said of coordinator Mike Nolan’s Dolphins defense. “We know they’re going to be blitzing us. The bigger the game, the more you get from Mike. We know it’s coming.”

Mental errors such as penalties? “We’re working hard on that, there’s no question,” he said. “I don’t want to say exactly what we’ve done. We still aren’t doing the pushups yet, but we’ve certainly talked about it and are doing things, even off the field, to get better in these areas.”

Defense against the Miami running game? “We talked about alignment-assignment-technique,” he said. “That’s been our mantra this week. That’s the way we’ve really approached it this week.”

Not overlooking the Dolphins’ goose egg in their win column? “I look at the Dolphins, they’re very competitive. Even this year at 0-4, they’ve been in every game. This is a competitive team, a very physical team. When you think about this team, the first thing that comes to mind is that this is a very competitive, well-coached football team. We’ve only beaten them once since I’ve been here.

“We’ve got to find ways to beat them.”

Need more incentive? Two NFL facts. Since 1990, 40 percent of teams that start 0-4 (30 of 75) win their fifth game. And 7.5 percent of teams that lose to go 2-4 make the playoffs.

The Jets say they remain confidence.

“I think it starts off each week, because even if you win, you kind of start from scratch,” said G Brandon Moore. “I think we have enough veterans and enough guys on this team that understand that we’ve lost three games in a row but we’re still good football players and competitors. And you go into each game anew. So I don’t see confidence being a problem for this team.”

Payne Free … of Cast

WR Logan Payne finally had the short cast removed from his left wrist. I asked him for a one-liner on how he felt. He gave me one word “Freedom, I guess you could say.” OK, that’s six words. But the key word is free.

“I’m still waiting for them to let me off the leash,” he said of the Jets’ doctors and trainers. “I’m kind of getting antsy. But we’re going to push it as much as we can. The doctors see it every day and I get it X-rayed twice a week.”

So he’s not yet ready to return to action — especially because some of the pins involved in the surgery on his wrist six weeks ago are protruding through the skin.

But it’s a measure of the Jets’ interest in him that they kept him on the active roster and are hoping to get him on the field this season.

And Payne likely will come out as if shot from a cannon. He’s technically a second-year pro, but he first signed with Seattle in 2007 and got on the field for the first two games of the Seahawks’ ’08 season, when he caught three passes for 39 yards and three first downs. Then he hurt his knee, spent the rest of the year on IR, and proceeded to bounce to the practice squads of the Lions, Chiefs, Vikings and Jets.

So if Payne can get on the field and make just one reception this season, it will be his first pro catch in over three years. Good luck with the coming weeks of rehab, Logan.

Injury Reports

Besides Payne, the Jets’ first injury report of the week lists 12 players. Not practicing in team drills Thursday were C Nick Mangold, DT Ropati Pitoitua (knee) and CB Isaiah Trufant (hamstring).

On Mangold’s ankle, Ryan said: “I just think he’s a little tender. He’s going to be like this for a couple of weeks. He’ll be limited, I would anticipate, tomorrow in practice … but I expect him to play.”

On Pitoitua, Rex said, “We’ll see,” on Trufant, “I think he’ll be out this week.”

Limited were LS Tanner Purdum (low back), CB Donald Strickland (concussion) and RB LaDainian Tomlinson (calf) . Full-go were CB Marquice Cole (hamstring), DT Marcus Dixon (shoulder), LB Garrett McIntyre (concussion), LB Bart Scott (toe), DT Martin Tevaseu (low back) and DT Muhammad Wilkerson (shoulder).

For Miami, five players were limited today down in South Florida, four with hamstring issues: CB Nolan Carroll, S Chris Clemons, CB Vontae Davis and RB Daniel Thomas. Also limited was TE Will Yeatman (shoulder). Full participants were DE Tony McDaniel (hand) and LB Koa Misi (neck).

Holmes says Jets' line keeps passing game grounded

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Anyone who thought the trade of Derrick Mason would suddenly muzzle the complaints coming out of the Jets locker room should think again.

Two days after Mason was shipped to Houston, fellow wide receiver Santonio Holmes was back at it, criticizing the Jets offensive line for not giving quarterback Mark Sanchez enough time to throw deep passes..

"I may be criticized again for saying it but I think it starts up front," Holmes said Thursday. "The big guys know it. They give Mark enough time to sit in the pocket and complete passes I think everything changes. The routes that are being run are short routes, 'Hey, let's get the ball out of Mark's hands quick. Let's move the ball down the field and let's go from there.' But if you can't protect the quarterback for 4 or 5 seconds, then there's no point in dropping back 7 yards to throw a football when he doesn't have enough time. So, we pretty much have to roll with the way our offense is rolling right now."

Holmes said the receivers have talked in their meeting room about how throwing the deep ball could change the offense, but they have not been able to do it. The longest pass the Jets have completed this year was a 74-yard catch in Oakland, but that was a short pass to LaDainian Tomlinson the running back turned into a big gain. The longest catch by a receiver was a 30-yard grab by Mason against the Ravens that also was a long run after catch.

Asked if the Jets should throw deep more often, Holmes said, "If you were in my shoes, what would you think?"

Holmes took a shot at the offensive line after the loss to the Ravens and the team made an effort to keep such comments in-house.

Mason also was critical of the offense that night, and there was speculation that contributed to the Jets getting rid of him.

A reporter asked if any linemen have said anything to Holmes about his remarks.

"Those guys, meaning my offensive line, live in a totally different world than we do," he said. "I can sit here and complain as much as I want to about protecting our quarterback. Sometimes little things as far as getting their toe stepped on, can't get back in their protection in their dropback long enough, are some of the things that affect play-calling. Like I said, I can complain all day about it."

The Jets face the Dolphins on Monday night after losing three straight. Holmes was asked if there is a sense of desperation around the Jets.

"I can honestly say yes," he said. "A feeling of desperation like we definitely have to win this game. It will set us back at 0-2 in our division. It will set us back in losing against an 0-4 team and giving these guys a victory. We can't give them a chance. We've got to come out and play New York Jet football on Monday night."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/holmes_can_complain_all_day_about_I2jRFyIwGG0ibkvZkZ0n3I#ixzz1alLZoUkY

Dolphins' Marshall wants to fight Jets, get ejected

Jets Blog

NewsCore

Last Updated: 6:28 PM, October 13, 2011

MIAMI -- Dolphins wide receiver Brandon Marshall added some interesting, albeit unusual, drama for Miami's upcoming Monday night matchup against the Jets, telling reporters Thursday his "goal is to get thrown out" of the game.

Marshall, who is no stranger to off-field issues, said he would flip the switch Monday night and become a "monster."

"If y'all think I'm still the beast or washed up, I consider myself a monster now," he said, according to NFL.com. "I don't want to be a beast anymore. I want to be a monster."

The 27-year-old wideout, who this summer was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, said his "goal is to get thrown out midway through the second quarter" of the Monday night game at MetLife Stadium.

"I don't care what the commentators say, I'm just going to play football," Marshall said. "If it's throwing a ball 15 yards into the bleachers or punting the ball, I'm probably going to get kicked out in the second quarter."

Marshall said he was merely trying to fire up his team after an 0-4 start to the season.

The two-time Pro Bowl player went on to say going after some of the Jets players was not out of the realm of possibility.

"I might even get into a fight with (linebacker) Bart Scott and (cornerback Antonio) Cromartie," he said. "I'm not joking, I'm serious."

Marshall has 22 catches for 313 yards and one touchdown this season.

Jets know they have to get their passing game going

Friday, October 14, 2011

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

The Record

FLORHAM PARK – Five days after the Jets signed Derrick Mason, quarterback Mark Sanchez was effusive in his praise for the 15-year veteran wide receiver.

"He’s an easy target," Sanchez said on Aug. 11. "He gets open really well, knows how to use his body, understands the timing of routes, spacing of your concepts and he’s doing a really good job for us."

That was then. This was what Sanchez said Thursday about Mason, two days after the underperforming wideout was banished to Houston for a conditional seventh-round draft pick by general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

"We respect Derrick Mason and we wish him, obviously, the best," Sanchez said, "and that’s something that was between him, Coach [Rex Ryan] and Mr. Tannenbaum. So, I didn’t get involved with it too much. … I thought the trade was Rex’s decision and Mr. Tannenbaum’s decision, and I’m not going to get into a relationship thing with Derrick and I. But I obviously respect him as a player and I want to wish him the best."

It sounds as if Sanchez won’t have any problem moving forward after Mason’s ouster, and perhaps he has the right idea. Certainly rookie Jeremy Kerley, Mason’s replacement as the slot receiver, doesn’t figure to be lobbying for the ball as much as a veteran would, given that his NFL career is only five games old.

Mason was averaging only 8.8 yards per catch, symptomatic of a passing offense that has only 15 pass plays of 20 or more yards, tied for 18th in the NFL. In the loss to New England on Sunday, Sanchez’s longest completion was for 22 yards.

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes, whose longest reception this season is a 28-yarder, again said Sanchez needs better protection from his offensive line to throw deep. Holmes made similar comments after the loss to Baltimore on Oct. 2.

"The routes that are being run are short routes," Holmes said, with the mind-set of, "Hey, let’s get the ball out of Mark’s hands quick, let’s move the ball down the field, let’s go from there. But if you can’t protect the quarterback for four or five seconds, then there’s no point of dropping back 7 yards to throw a football when he doesn’t have enough time."

Miami’s 31st-ranked pass defense is allowing 307 yards per game, but Holmes indicated that doesn’t necessarily mean the Jets will be an aerial circus Monday night.

"Obviously, it doesn’t make a difference on our team because New England was ranked what in pass defense, and what did we do against those guys?" he said, referring to New England’s 32nd-ranked pass defense entering Sunday. "So, it really doesn’t matter what defenses are ranked.

It’s according to how well guys play on the field at that time."

Holmes also said the Mason trade "kind of shook up a lot of guys" and added he had "not one clue" why he was traded.

Holmes is sure that "the big guys [on the offensive line] know it — if they give Mark enough time to sit in the pocket and complete passes, I think everything changes."

Sanchez believes the Jets need to start faster, after not recording a first down in the first quarter in the loss to the Patriots.

"Those first few third downs we need to convert," he said. "That first offensive possession is huge for us and we’d love to come out and [score]. It sets a good tone for the team, it sets a tempo for the game and I know we have the guys to do it, we just need to come out fast and start fast. … [With] the throwing and catching, we’ve got to be better than we were."

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Jets notebook: Dolphins' 'Monster' Marshall ready for a fight

Friday, October 14, 2011

The Record

'Monster' Marshall

Miami wide receiver Brandon Marshall had 10 receptions in the first game against the Jets last season, and caught the only touchdown of the game in the second meeting. And he's planning even more for Monday night's game.

He wants to be ejected.

Marshall told south Florida media Thursday that he intends to be a "monster" on the field against the Jets. He has a team-high 22 receptions through Miami's first four games, but also has dropped four potential touchdown passes.

All my life I've been an emotional person," said Marshall, who was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder in the off-season and is not on medication. "It's just being able to turn that switch on and off. It took me four games to really realize how to do that, and I'm going to turn it on.

Hopefully I get kicked out in the second quarter.

"I'm serious," he added. "I might get in a fight with [LB] Bart Scott. [CB Antonio] Cromartie, we pretty much matured our relationship and grew a little bit. We used to fight in Denver and San Diego. If that happens [again], it happens, so we'll see."

Cromartie, who often faced Marshall when they were with the Chargers and Broncos, respectively, said with a smile, "We really didn't talk too much trash, but sometimes it got heated."

Other side of Taylor

Miami linebacker Jason Taylor will make his return to North Jersey after a one-year stint with the Jets. He is on his third tour of duty with the Dolphins.

"I was looking forward to an opportunity to get back to New York," said Taylor, released by the Jets in February, "and talk to those guys once the lockout ended, but things worked out here and it fits."

Of his year in green and white, he said, "I got a chance to walk in the shoes of another man, so to speak, and see it from the other side. I had a really good time and it kind of changed my perspective on what the Jets are all about."

As for his reception, he said, "I know I'll get booed."

—J.P. Pelzman

Jets' Santonio Holmes voices concerns about offense heading into Dolphins game

Published: Friday, October 14, 2011, 4:00 AM Updated: Friday, October 14, 2011, 5:06 AM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Star-Ledger Jets reporters talk about Monday's game against Miami Dolphins Star-Ledger Jets reporters talk about Monday's game against Miami Dolphins Conor Orr and Jenny Vrentas talk about the Jets' game against the Miami Dolphins on Monday. (Video by Noah K. Murray/The Star-Ledger) Watch video

The Jets have sent a public message of resilience, gotten creative on the practice field, and have dubbed Monday’s game against Miami a “must-win.” Behind it all, is there a feeling of desperation for a 2-3 club that has lost three straight games?

“I can honestly say, ‘Yes,’ ” receiver Santonio Holmes said Monday. “A feeling of desperation, like we definitely have to win this game.”

The team as a whole is reeling, searching for answers on both sides of the ball. But the attention is on the offense, which has been prone to slow starts, inconsistency and chemistry concerns — further subjected to the public microscope after veteran receiver Derrick Mason was traded this week.

Holmes, who has this year emerged as an outspoken captain, again publicly highlighted his concerns with the unit, including its scoring output, the play of the offensive line and the lack of deep balls.

He cited the Jets’ 24.2 points per game average — 13th in the NFL — and said the offense is “just not looking good for everybody else on the outside looking in.” This week they play the 0-4 Miami Dolphins, who are ranked 31st in pass defense, but Holmes didn’t see much upside in that after losing to the New England Patriots’ worst-ranked defense in the NFL last week.

“Obviously, it doesn’t make a difference on our team,” Holmes said. “New England was ranked what in pass defense? And what did we do against those guys?”

Coach Rex Ryan has kept a constructive attitude about improving on offense. Last week and this week, they have used a buzzer in practice to encourage the offense to move at top speed and get pass plays off quickly. Left guard Matt Slauson said the scout team has also been encouraged to give the first-team offense "game-speed looks" with pass rushers coming at the line at full speed.

Ryan said the Jets are going over quarterback Mark Sanchez’s routine to help kick slow starts and are using some tactics to cut down on penalties and mental errors. He didn’t get into specifics, but players said if they commit a penalty in practice they must sit out the next play. The receivers are also keeping a chart in their meeting room to tally drops.

Holmes sees more than execution problems. He said there has been “a lot of talking in our meeting room” about how the offense would improve if more deep shots to stretch the field were taken.

The Jets have 15 pass plays of 20 or more yards this season, 18th in the league. According to Pro Football Focus, only 11 percent of Sanchez’s aimed passes (not including plays like throwaways or spikes) have traveled more than 20 yards.

Holmes said the Jets have to run the plays that are called, and it’s up to the quarterback to deliver the ball. He made one attempt to not answer a question on the topic — his post-game comments after the Baltimore loss spurred a locker-room reminder to keep criticisms in house — but then identified the offensive line’s play as part of the problem.

“I may be criticized again for saying it, but I think it starts up front, and the big guys know it,” Holmes said. “If they give Mark enough time to sit in the pocket and complete passes, I think everything changes. The routes that are being ran are short routes, ‘Hey, let’s get the ball out of Mark’s hands quick, let’s move the ball down the field, let’s go from there.’

“But if you can’t protect the quarterback for four or five seconds, then there’s no point of dropping back 7 yards to throw a football when we don’t have enough time. So we pretty much have to roll with the way our offense is right now.”

Holmes also said “I can complain all day” about the linemen protecting the quarterback, but did reference the nuances of the position that can be difficult.

More coverage:Despite his critiques, the unofficial offensive spokesperson said he does think this desperate team can have a successful offense with coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s system.

The focus this week, for the players and coaches, is finding the answers to do so.

“If you really want to ask me, I’d say just throw the ball to No. 10,” Holmes said. “But I think we have to do the little things correct. That’s protecting the guys, giving Mark the chance to throw the ball down the field. And we have to come up with the big plays every time we throw the ball, and not leave anything out on the field.”

For more Jets coverage, follow Jenny Vrentas on Twitter at twitter.com/Jennyvrentas

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

NY Jets, Mark Sanchez struggle to get air-attack off ground, Santonio Holmes points at O-line

BY Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, October 14th 2011, 4:00 AM

The play was so strange and surreal that you couldn't help but hit the rewind button a few times.

For all the talk about the Jets' stagnant offense, an innocuous four-yard completion to Jeremy Kerley midway through the third quarter of last week's loss to the Patriots was a microcosm of a pedestrian unit.

On third and 6, Gang Green went with a five-receiver, empty-backfield look. All five wideouts ran a route short of the first-down marker before Mark Sanchez, sensing pressure, quickly fired a pass to Kerley.

It was a three-man rush.

Losers of three in a row, the Jets are at a crossroads entering Monday night's divisional showdown with the Dolphins. A week after failing to exploit the Patriots' NFL-worst pass defense, Sanchez & Co. will have a crack at the 31st-rated pass defense. Gang Green's inability to stretch the field is an indictment of an offense that hasn't clicked yet. Sanchez, who averages 6.8 yards per pass attempt (21st in the league), attempted only two passes for longer than 20 yards last week.

"We've done a lot of talking in our meeting rooms about how things can change if we were to stretch the ball a little bit more down the field," wide receiver Santonio Holmes said. "I may be criticized again for saying it, but I think it starts up front. And the big guys know it. (If) they give Mark enough time to sit in the pocket and complete passes, I think everything changes.

"If you can't protect the quarterback for four, five seconds, then there's no point in dropping back seven yards to throw a football when he doesn't have enough time."

Holmes later admitted that he "could sit here and complain as much as I want to about protecting our quarterback," but realized that the offensive linemen have myriad responsibilities on each snap that factor into keeping Sanchez upright.

The Jets' inability to consistently stretch the field is the latest concern surrounding an offense that was maligned for weeks for not being able to effectively establish a run game, either.

"(When) you lose three games, people are searching," Sanchez said. "Everybody wants an answer. Everybody wants one thing that you can fix. One thing we could fix from last week is getting better on third down."

The protection issues, which didn't surface against the Patriots, have prompted opposing defensive backs to sit on predictable short routes by the receivers. Holmes recalled only one or two times all season when he caught a pass off a double move, an unthinkable number for one of the league's best playmakers. Asked whether the Jets should take a more liberal approach with more shots downfield, Holmes tried to be as diplomatic as he could.

"If you were in my shoes, what (would) you think?" said Holmes, one of three Jet receivers to question the offense in recent weeks, as the Daily News reported Sunday. "It's tough. You want to answer these questions, but you got to do what you got to do. Just show up and play.

"We have to honestly run with the plays that are being called," he added. "There's no audibling from the receivers saying, 'Hey, I want you to throw me the ball on this route. I don't want to run (that) one.' So it's pretty much what we have to do from the plays that are being called."

The Dolphins' porous pass defense, which is giving up 307 yards per game, doesn't necessarily guarantee anything, Holmes insisted.

"Honestly, it doesn't make a difference on our team," Holmes said. "Because New England was ranked what in pass defense? And what did we do against those guys? So it really doesn't matter what defenses are ranked."

Twitter.com/TheJetsStream

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/10/14/2011-10-14_for_holmes_its_long_wait.html#ixzz1alQMRS1Z

Brandon Marshall sets monster goal 'to get thrown out' against NY Jets on Monday Night Football

BY Kevin Armstrong

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, October 14th 2011, 4:00 AM

Dolphins wideout Brandon Marshall plans on leaving his mark on Monday night's game against the Jets by not playing past halftime.

"My goal is to get thrown out midway through the second quarter," Marshall said.

Marshall, diagnosed earlier in the year with borderline personality disorder, mentioned the sentiment four times yesterday in a 12-minute session with reporters at the winless team's facility in Davie, Fla.

"I'm serious," Marshall said. "They want to fine me, it'll probably be like a $50,000 fine. But I'm going to play. That quarter and half I'm out there, I'm going to play like a monster."

A two-time Pro Bowl receiver who is attempting to better manage his emotions, Marshall has been limited to one touchdown this season. He has 22 catches, but is third in the league with five drops.

"I'm best when I play with passion, and you guys are going to see that on 'Monday Night Football,'" Marshall said. "I don't know if it's throwing a football 15 yards into the bleachers and getting a 15-yarder (penalty), or punting the ball and getting thrown out of the game, but something is going to happen."

Marshall proved mercurial against the Jets last season, exploding for 10 catches and 166 yards in a September meeting, then mustering two receptions for 16 yards at the Meadowlands.

"I'm going to play with a lot of emotion, a lot of passion," Marshall said. "I'm going to be that Monster. Not the Beast. The Monster."

MANGOLD WATCH

Jets center Nick Mangold, still recovering from a high right ankle sprain that he suffered in the Week 2 win over Jacksonville, did not practice for the second straight day. Rex Ryan maintained that he expects Mangold to play Monday night.

"It's still a little tender and it will be that way for a few more weeks," Ryan said.

Mangold, who worked on agility drills with trainers off to the side, managed to play last Sunday in the loss to New England. It was his first live action since the Jaguars game. He said afterward that he felt fine, and spoke yesterday about taking care to prevent re-injuring it as he went through practice in limited fashion.

JASON LIVES

In 16 games with the Jets last season, outside linebacker Jason Taylor tallied five sacks and forced one safety, assisting the pass rush. After the season, he returned to Miami, his previous home on two occasions, and has recorded one sack through five games with the Dolphins.

Ryan said he appreciated Taylor's efforts and would have liked the 37-year-old to return.

"Jason can still rush the passer," Ryan said. "We would have loved to have Jason back here."

VONTAE WHO?

Ryan referred to Dolphins cornerback Vontae Davis as "Vontae Revis" in response to Davis dubbing Miami's cornerback pairing with Sean Smith as the league's top tandem.

The real Revis said he expects Dolphins quarterback Matt Moore to probe the Jets' secondary deep on Monday night.

INJURY UPDATE

DL Ropati Pitoitua, who sustained a second-degree PCL injury Sunday against the Patriots, did not practice....DB Donald Strickland (head) was back with the team, but was wearing a red non-contact jersey....WR Logan Payne had the cast removed from his arm. Ryan said he hopes to see him back to practice soon.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/10/14/2011-10-14_dolphins_marshall_plans_monday_ejection.html#ixzz1alRBeoUB

5 questions for ... Joe Klecko

Jets Blog

By JUSTIN TERRANOVA

Last Updated: 9:49 AM, October 14, 2011

Posted: 3:20 AM, October 14, 2011

SNY analyst and former Jets defensive lineman Joe Klecko talked with the Post's Justin Terranova about Mark Sanchez's regression, Rex Ryan's personality and the need for someone to "smack somebody around" in the Jets locker room.

Q: What do you see that concerns you about the Jets?

A: Mark Sanchez has taken two steps backwards, so let's wait for him to take that step forward again. On defense, nobody has run the ball on Rex up to now. The outside play of the linebackers has been a little suspect at keeping the edge and containment of the runners. One of the glaring things the past two years, is the safety position. The way Rex (Ryan) likes to get after you, and he doesn't have the four-man pass rush to do it, he brings extra people. And when you bring extra people you put the burden on the safeties and linebackers to cover. So, either he has to change his way of thinking and play a little bit of a softer defense, or it's a personnel thing.

Q: Does Ryan have the personality where he can back off?

A: I don't know because Rex's whole bravado is a tough one, and he likes to keep that attitude with his defense. I don't know if he can actually change his mentality. But I've said it before, Rex is a great coach, and he's trying to figure it out himself a little bit. I'm sure he'll change it up and make it work eventually.

Q: Do you think going back to the ground-and-pound ultimately will be the answer?

A: Now with Nick Mangold back in there they have that ability. I think Shonn Greene has to step up. Against the Ravens he was a little bit shy, against the Patriots someone got in his ear a little bit. He ran the football harder, and if he can step up and be that 25-, 30-carry guy that pounds for yards like Maurice Jones-Drew I believe it's a step in the right direction.

Q: Do you think this team is lacking a leader?

A: Somebody has to control that in the locker room, somebody has to step up and be a leader, and smack somebody around if they have to do that. The coaches are who they are, the gameplan is what it is and they just have to go out there and execute. That's something they have to accomplish as a team together. I think Damien Woody was a big one to lose. That's something someone has to step up and do. It's not the guy that screams and yells, it's the guy that puts forth the effort and people will listen to.

Q: The Jets have lost two straight to the Dolphins at home. Any chance that becomes three in a row?

A: Nothing is easy in the NFL, but the Dolphins are the worst team in football, they have a quarterback issue now, and if the Jets can't roll over this team big time I have no idea how they are going to do it.

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...O#ixzz1alSQZw30

Sanchez needs to be heard above roar of other Jets

Jets Blog

Last Updated: 9:51 AM, October 14, 2011

Posted: 2:29 AM, October 14, 2011

As the self-proclaimed leader of the Jets and the quarterback of a team that has lost three straight games, Mark Sanchez said all the right things yesterday.

“It’s on me as a leader to assert myself and make sure we’re doing the right things,” he said before adding, “I think we’re working through a tough experience. Three tough road losses is no fun and

it’s not easy. But it’s a good test for us. It’s a good test for this team to see how we’re going to bounce back.”

Give Sanchez credit. From day one he has understood that he was the Jets franchise quarterback and has tried to embrace all that it entails, including being the leader of the team both on the field and in the locker room. It’s during a time of crisis when true leadership demonstrates itself and having dropped three straight games amid high expectations is about as big a crisis as the Jets have experienced during his tenure.

UPDATES FROM OUR JETS BLOG

Heading into Monday night’s game against the Dolphins would be a prime time for the third-year quarterback to demonstrate his stature on the team. But it’s hard to hear him because of all the other opinionated voices in the Jets locker room. Wide receiver Santonio Holmes yesterday was chirping about how the offensive line needs to improve to protect Sanchez, and there was this somewhat lukewarm endorsement of the quarterback from cornerback Darrelle Revis.

“Mark has taken strides to be more of a vocal leader. We trust in Mark. In Mark we trust,” Revis said with a grin. Then he said, “We’re stuck with him. This is the guy for us and that’s how we feel.”

It seemed to be odd phrasing even if Revis might have meant no disrespect. Still, the Patriots would never say they were “stuck with” Tom Brady or the Packers with Aaron Rodgers. It’s clear Sanchez still has a ways to go before earning that kind of status from his teammates.

Rex Ryan has said he doesn’t muzzle his players. But the problem is the more opinions that are expressed; the harder it will be to hear Sanchez.

We’ve seen this before in this city. When Giants quarterback Eli Manning was in his early years, he was swallowed up by the personalities of more vocal teammates like Tiki Barber, Michael Strahan, Jeremy Shockey and Antonio Pierce. It wasn’t until Barber retired and Shockey was injured during the team’s Super Bowl season that Manning seemed to come into his own.

Manning, now in his eighth season, still isn’t a big talker, but there’s no question who is the leader of the Giants.

Sanchez hasn’t gotten there yet, and that might be as big a problem as all the discussion about whether the Jets need to throw the ball more or run it more.

Much of leadership has to be earned. Sanchez understands that. He also understands he always will be a target for the talking heads on television whether they’re ex-Jets or ex-coaches. He has thick enough skin to handle that. Six road playoff wins and two trips to the AFC Championship

Game have given him enough success to ignore the outside critics.

“That’s part of this job,” he said. “That’s what you sign up for playing in New York. If you can handle the praise when everything is going well, going to the AFC Championship and beating the Patriots in the divisional game, you’ve got to be able to handle the flip side.”

If Derrick Mason was squawking about Sanchez, then he needed to go. But it will be difficult for Sanchez to truly become the leader of the Jets if Holmes is talking about what the offensive line needs to do or if Revis uses phrases like “we’re stuck with him.”

Such talk in the locker room could stunt his growth as much as anything that happens on the field.

george.willis@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/sanchez_needs_to_be_heard_above_56FaX9ZfT0a05VOT3qM0hN#ixzz1alTAZQXM

‘Ultimate Pro’ Taylor Returns as Jets Foe, Again

Posted by Eric Allen on October 14, 2011 – 8:39 am

The times certainly have changed.

Sure, the Jets and the Dolphins probably won’t exchange recipes Monday night, but Jason Taylor’s season of service with the Jets in 2010 has changed the rhetoric between South Florida and New Jersey.

“JT was a real professional about the way he went about his business, the way he interacted with other plays on the team,” said Jets QB Mark Sanchez on Thursday. “He was respectful of the trainers and the equipment staff. He was the ultimate pro. We loved having him and it’s going to be fun to face him again.”

Taylor started eight regular-season games and appeared in 15 for the Jets last year, racking up five sacks, two forced fumbles and two recoveries along with 35 tackles.

“I’m happy we had him last year. Jason played great for us last year,” said head coach Rex Ryan.

“He made some huge plays. I thought Jason was great for this football team, his presence on the field and in the locker room as well. He’s a class act all the way, so I don’t regret signing Jason Taylor here for one second.”

Ryan would have been happy to have Taylor return for a second season, but the Dolphins had renewed interest in the 37-year-old. So he decided to return to Miami for his 15th pro season and 13th with the ‘Fins.

“I had a great time,” said Taylor on a conference call of his time with the Jets. “There are probably some people in Miami who don’t want to hear that, but the fact of the matter is I enjoyed myself last year. We had a good bit of success. Didn’t go quite as far as we would have liked, but the journey was a lot of fun.”

Jets OLB Jamaal Westerman, who attended St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Fort Lauderdale, looked up to Taylor when the latter was in his prime. Now a starter with Taylor gone and Bryan Thomas on injured reserve, Westerman used last season to learn from one of the game’s greatest pass rushers.

“He has a tremendous get-off, long arms and he really knows how to work throughout the game,” Westerman said. “You’ve seen him do it all throughout his career, kind of set guys up. Even last year he had some big games for us. He was a very good player. It was fun playing with him and learning from him also.”

It might have been odd to see Taylor in Green & White, but he had no trouble adapting to a locker room. He was well-liked from the start and his former ‘mates continue to rave about him.

“It was great to cross paths like that,” said NT Sione Pouha. “You have tons of respect for an individual like that. He was a great teammate.”

Jets Nation had a more difficult time embracing the man who once said of some fans, “Jets fans take the C-L out of class.” But many did embrace him and the good-natured Taylor was cheered in 2010.

But he isn’t expecting a warm reception Monday night when he turns heel again on the visiting sideline.

“I’m sure I’ll be booed. I tried to do my best to make them cheer last year, but being on the other side of the coin now, I’ll get my fair share of boos, which is to be expected,” he said. “They’re Jets fans and they should be. They’re very passionate about their team and that’s the way it’s supposed to be.”

A veteran of 221 regular-season contests, Taylor has an interesting take on the matchup between the 0-4 ‘Fins and the 2-3 Jets.

“There’s no reason to be desperate. You start being desperate, you do things outside of yourself, you start to take too many risks, and you end up making mistakes because you’re playing with desperation. You don’t need to do that. Just have a sense of urgency. And trust me, we fully anticipate they will have that sense of urgency and focus, and we’re going to have the same thing.”

You wonder if this will be Taylor’s last appearance as a visitor in the rivalry. The teams meet again in Miami on Jan. 1, 2012 and the Jets hope to have playoffs on their radar by then.

“We’ll be excited to see him before the game. And then during the game, we have to get after him, we have to block him,” Sanchez said. “After the game, we’ll say good luck and stay healthy. But hopefully we win this thing.”

Jets Takeoff! A Preview of Week 6 Matchup with the Miami Dolphins

AUTHOR: Alan Schechter | IN: Jets | COMMENTS: None Yet |

A Preview of Week 6 Matchup with the Miami Dolphins

The Jets are finally home, and it couldn’t come at a better time. They are coming off a 3 game skid where the defense has looked pedestrian, and the offense has sputtered most of the time. Monday night they take on the winless Miami Dolphins, on a night where they induct 4 more former Jets into the ring of honor. It won’t be an easy task, as the Dolphins are never an easy out for the Jets. The Jets have not beaten the Dolphins at home in the Rex Ryan era, and have won four of the last five over the Jets. The Jets lead the overall series 47-42-1. The Dolphins have also historically performed well after the bye, with a 13-9 record. The Jets are seeking their 4th consecutive home win, and are 4-0 against the Dolphins at home on Monday night football. Here are some things to watch for:

QUICK START FOR MARK SANCHEZ

It is imperative to get Mark Sanchez out of the gate quickly on Monday night. Schottenheimer’s game plan will be key here. The Dolphins can be thrown on, with a defense ranked second to last in the AFC, giving up 307 yards per game. That doesn’t mean they should throw the ball 50 times, despite what Bob Ryan had to say following the Patriots game. They must establish the run, but with a controlled passing game they need to get Mark Sanchez off the block quickly. As much as the Dolphins defensive backs talk themselves up, they can be beaten, and Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress and company should be able to do so. That is of course, if my next key plays well.

BIG NIGHT FOR THE OFFENSIVE LINE

Nick Mangold didn’t practice today, but coach Rex Ryan expects him to play, and that will be key.

We have all seen the perils of the offensive line. For whatever reason, they haven’t added much depth on the line, and the injury to Robert Turner was a back breaker. Wayne Hunter has not been good, and they are a different team without Mangold. It’s a big night for the offensive line for many reasons. Phil Simms put it right when he said when a team has trouble on the offensive line, it spills over to the whole team.

First, they do need to establish the run. There were some good signs last week on this regard.

Shonn Greene showed some signs of life, finally, with a season high 83 yards and 1 TD. They can’t get away from who they are, which is a run first team. The way to keep Sanchez effective is to run effectively, so he can go down the field off of play action. This will not be an easy task.

The Dolphins, although winless, do have a tough defense. The run defense of the Dolphins ranks second in the AFC in rushing yards allowed with 430, and 7th in the conference in yards per game allowed on the ground with 107.5. They have a tough front seven, and this will be a key matchup against the Jets offensive line.

Secondly, in order to get Mark Sanchez off the blocks quickly, he needs to be upright, which has been a tough task so far in 2011. The Dolphins haven’t been great rushing the passer so far this year, but they have punished the Jets in the past. In the last matchup, the Dolphins sacked Mark Sanchez 6 times. Their top rusher is Cameron Wake, with 3 of the team’s 6 sacks over the first 4 games. Our old rent a lineman Jason Taylor has 16.5 sacks against the Jets in his career. Don’t underestimate the Dolphins here, this will be tough.

BRANDON MARSHALL ON REVIS ISLAND

So far in 2011, Brandon Marshall has recorded 22 catches, 313 yards and 1 TD, on pace for a 1,200 plus yards season. He will be hampered a bit with Matt Moore at quarterback, and we know how wide receivers perform out on Revis Island, but this is still a matchup to watch. Brandon has a good history against the Jets, with 17 receptions for 237 yards and 2 TDs in 3 career games against the Jets. He also comes to play against AFC East opponents, as a member of the Dolphins, recording an average of 89.6 yards per game over 7 AFC East contests. Marshall is still a star, even with a pedestrian QB, and will be a matchup to watch with Darrelle.

T

here it is fans, your Jets Takeoff for week 6. Enjoy the game, see you on the other side.

Ten months later, Sal Alosi starting over

Ex-Jets strength coach moving on from Tripgate, rebuilding career at Bryant

Cimini By Rich Cimini

ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Ten months ago, Sal Alosi's life changed in a nanosecond. He made a mistake, a horrible mistake, and now he's far away from the New York Jets and the NFL, trying to rebuild his career at tiny Bryant University in Smithfield, R.I.

Alosi works long hours as the school's strength and conditioning coach, living in a small house near the campus and eating most of his meals at the student union. Friends say he likes the anonymity, the opportunity to be Sal the strength coach, not "Sal the Tripper."

The Miami Dolphins return to MetLife Stadium on Monday night for the first time since the infamous tripping incident last Dec. 12, when Alosi -- the Jets' strength coach -- stuck out his knee and tripped the "gunner" on the Dolphins' punt team, Nolan Carroll.

It mushroomed into a huge controversy, ultimately costing Alosi his dream job.

"That was just a disaster," said defensive tackle Mike DeVito, who keeps in touch with Alosi. "It struck me, too, because if you're in the spotlight … you have to make sure you're doing the right thing. One little mistake, one little lapse, and his whole life changed."

Alosi has received numerous interview requests, but he isn't talking. When reached by ESPNNewYork.com, he politely declined to comment. A Bryant spokesperson issued a two-month-old statement from Alosi that was released when he was hired in August. It didn't say much. He spoke to The Providence (R.I.) Journal last month, touching briefly on Tripgate.

"I immediately regretted it the second it happened," he told the newspaper. "It was a knee-jerk response. … When it first happened, I didn't know how it was going to play out, but I knew it wasn't going to be good."

No, it wasn't good. Alosi was suspended, fined, vilified, shunned, mocked … you name it. Aside from the actual tripping incident, he organized an illegal "wall" of players on the Jets' sideline, according to the team. That put the team in hot water, ultimately resulting in a fine from the league.

Alosi lost a $200,000-a-year job and was relegated to working as a personal trainer out of the garage of his home in New Jersey before hearing about the Bryant opening.

"I'm glad he's back doing what he loves," said DeVito, who hired Alosi during the lockout. "He made a mistake and he knows it. The thing about Sal, he'll own up to it."

Carroll, through a Dolphins spokesman, declined to be interviewed for this story.

Week 6: Jets vs. Dolphins on ESPN

Gang Green tries to rebound on Monday Night Football. Jets Center » Blog »

Alosi's moment of infamy transcended sports. When David Letterman had Rex Ryan on his late-night TV show last spring, he seemed more interested in Alosi than any other topic. Ryan has said that Alosi was the best strength coach in the league.

Alosi still follows the Jets. Sundays are one of his busiest days at work, but he always tries to sneak a peek at a TV in his office to see how his old team is doing.

Bryant is a Division I program, with about 500 student-athletes. They draw about 1,700 fans for football games at their home stadium, so intimate that fans can walk up to the sideline and hear the coaches' chalk talks in the bench area. The school's mascot, a bulldog, is wheeled around the stadium in a baby stroller-type contraption.

You can't get much further from the NFL than that.

"Sal has moved on in his career, accepting all responsibilities from the past, and in just a short time has already made significant improvements in the areas of strength and conditioning with our teams," Bryant athletic director Bill Smith said in the same two-month-old statement.

For his first game, Alosi traveled to Maine, where he saw a display of "Black Bears in the NFL" -- including DeVito and tight end Matthew Mulligan. Alosi took a picture and texted it to DeVito, who doesn't think he'd be in the NFL if it weren't for his old strength coach.

"Hopefully," DeVito said, "he can get back some day."

For now, Alosi works in relative obscurity, trying to work his way back from one bad moment.

Follow Rich Cimini on Twitter: @RichCimini

Gerry Philbin's Style in a Word: Relentless

By Randy Lange

Posted 7 minutes ago

On Monday night at halftime of the game against the Dolphins, the membership in the Jets' Ring of Honor will swell to 10 with the induction of the four members of the Class of 2011 — LB Larry Grantham, RB Freeman McNeil, DE Gerry Philbin and WR Al Toon. Over five days we'll present a profile on each player along with a slideshow recalling their playing careers and audio of a news conference each player had with reporters this past week. Today: Gerry Philbin.

Many key pieces were being added to the Jets' defense as they grew into the underrated but overpowering force that would team up with the offense and specialists to form the Super Bowl III champions.

The names roll mellifluously off a veteran Jets fan's tongue: Atkinson, Grantham, Baker, Sample, Beverly, Hudson, Baird, Biggs, Elliott, Rochester.

And at the left end of the line, last but not least, was the inescapable Gerry Philbin.

"Football was different back in those days," Philbin said this week as he recalled the group he helped propel to greatness all while the group was helping move him toward Jets Ring of Honor status more than 40 years later. "What was great about it was we were able to play as a unit for so long and play together. I think just knowing one another, playing with one another for that amount of time was a great catalyst."

Catalysts come in all shapes and sizes, and Philbin was a different breed of cat for defensive end, even in those days. He stood 6'2" and 245 pounds and even though offensive tackles were smaller, too, back then, it must have looked as if most could have swallowed him up for a game at a time.

Yeah, just try.

"When you talk about a relentless motor and that Jet mentality, that was Gerry Philbin," said Jets head coach Rex Ryan, who lists Philbin as one of his three all-time favorite Jets from that 1968 team he hung out with while his father, Buddy, coached up Weeb Ewbank's defensive line.

"I remember my dad telling the story about him going up against Bob Brown, who was a Hall of Fame tackle who was mean as he could be. He was having a good day against Philbin, but Philbin just kept coming, kept coming. At the end of the game, Gerry got back-to-back sacks and the Jets won. It was one of those deals where he was so relentless, he never let up the entire game. If you weren't at your best, he was going to beat you."

That was in the early Seventies, when "Boomer" Brown had moved to the Raiders. In the late Sixties, though, Philbin was not only relentless but he was nearly unstoppable by any tackle. In that 1968 Jets season, Philbin came off the edge for 19 sacks. NFL defensive sack totals before 1982 remain unofficial, but Philbin's season was one of the most unheralded super seasons of pass-rushing not only in franchise annals but in the pro game's history.

Let's take the 19 sacks at face value. It gave Philbin, who started all 14 games that year, an average of 1.36 sacks a game. The best average in Jets history belongs to Mark Gastineau, who averaged 1.38 sacks per game when he set the NFL's official sack record of 22 in 1984. Others in the league have surpassed that figure but not by much. Michael Strahan's record-breaking 22.5-sack season in 2001 averages out to 1.41 a game. Reggie White soars above the crowd with his 1.75 average (21 sacks in 12 games) during the 1987 strike season.

"I had a unique style to rush the passer," Philbin remembered. "I liked to do the spin move on the inside a lot. I think the quickness helped me, not being as big as some of the linemen."

Philbin also credits his fellow front-seven mates. His D-line included RE Verlon Biggs and DTs John Elliott and Paul Rochester. The linebackers that patrolled behind it were Larry Grantham — a fellow member of the Ring's Class of '11 — Al Atkinson and Ralph Baker.

"We knew one another for a while," Philbin said, "and we had great camaraderie."

And some great pass-rush numbers. Before the Sack Exchange arrived on the scene, Philbin, Biggs and Elliott combined, over roughly the same timeframe, for 160.5 sacks, with Philbin leading the way with 64.5 sacks in his nine seasons of wearing No. 81. That was the Jets' top sack figure until Gastineau and Joe Klecko came along and then, in the first decade of the new millennium, Shaun Ellis. But it's still good for fourth on the franchise's all-time list.

Rushing the QB wasn't the only thing Philbin did great, not by a long shot.

"I always remember Gerry down on the goal line," said Grantham. "He'd always get penetration and that would really help stop any kind of running play to his side. He rushed the passer great, he played the run great, and he gave you 120 percent every play."

Philbin played in the AFL All-Star Game and was named AFL All-Pro after both the '68 and '69 seasons. And once the AFL fully merged with the NFL for the 1970 season, one of its last acts was to select its All-Time Team. On the first team at left defensive end was Gerald John Philbin.

Philbin has at least one other claim to football fame, which was knowing the Ryans all the way back in the early Sixties, when he first ran into Buddy Ryan as a coach when he was a player at the University of Buffalo.

"I think Buddy was the defensive coordinator at the time," Rex said, "and when Weeb Ewbank was looking for a D-line coach, Philbin's the guy that recommended my dad. That's how the Ryans got into professional football."

Now Philbin, 70, has been out of the game for a while. He had been living in his native New England, up in New Hampshire, until he moved down to the Palm Beach area in Florida several months ago.

"The cold weather was too much for me there," he said with a raspy laugh. "Now I come down here and catch a cold. I can't believe it."

It's expected to be a little chilly in the Meadowlands, around the 50° mark, on Monday night when the Jets' second class of Ring of Honor inductees stride out to midfield at MetLife Stadium. But for Philbin, vivid memories and the fans' applause for his relentless motor will warm his night just fine.

Mangold (ankle) returns to practice

October, 14, 2011

Oct 14

12:59

PM ET

By Mike Mazzeo

C Nick Mangold (ankle) returned to practice Friday after missing Thursday’s session.

Head coach Rex Ryan said he expected Mangold to be limited on Friday. According to Ryan, Mangold’s ankle was “a little tender” but he will play on Monday night against Miami.

DL Ropati Pitoitua (knee) and CB Isaiah Trufant (hamstring) did not practice, making it less likely that they will play versus the Dolphins.

If Pitoitua can’t go, the Jets have a couple options as to who would dress as their fifth lineman.

They promoted DL Martin Tevaseau from the practice squad, and they also have rookie DT Kendrick Ellis who has not been active for a game yet this season. It would be pretty telling if Ellis doesn’t get the call.

CB Donald Strickland (concussion) participated in position drills without his red no-contact jersey.

RB LaDainian Tomlinson (calf) was cutting and running full speed during drills. LS Tanner Purdum was also seen on the field after being limited Thursday.

Dolphins CB Vontae Davis nearing return

Davis, who has missed past two games with a hamstring injury, could be back for Monday night game at Jets.

By Andrew Carter

12:43 p.m. EDT, October 14, 2011

DAVIE — Until recently, Vontae Davis had never missed an NFL game. He'd never been hurt. Never sat out. Then he suffered a hamstring injury in the Dolphins' 23-13 loss to the Houston Texans in the second week of the season and he hasn't played since.

Now, Davis is close to making his return. It could come on Monday night when the Dolphins play the New York Jets at MetLife Stadium.

"I'm working towards it," Davis said with a smile when asked whether he'd play on Monday. "I'm just working. You've got to ask Coach — he'll make the decision."

The Dolphins' defense has clearly missed Davis, the team's first-round draft pick in 2009. The team's pass defense wasn't all that effective with Davis in the lineup, and it certainly hasn't improved with him out of it.

Davis' replacement, Nolan Carroll, has also been battling a hamstring injury and has been limited in practice for the past week and a half. Davis, meanwhile, has been increasing his work load in practice.

"It's real tough because I [want to] be out there with my teammates," he said. "You know, football's a fun game. I like playing football. One of those things, man. Like a kid, the same way they want a candy bar, a Snickers or something, that's the way I want to get on the field and play football."

McDaniel returns

In the moment, DT Tony McDaniel wasn't sure what to think. He had just attempted to make a play in the second quarter of the Dolphins' season-opening loss against the Patriots, and his hand landed under the knee of an opposing player.

A wave of pain stretched from McDaniel's hand to his neck, he said Thursday.

"I knew something wasn't right," McDaniel said.

Then came a visit with a doctor.

"The doctor told me three to four weeks," McDaniel said. "When I felt the pain, I thought it was going to be longer than that, but the doctor was right — they fixed it."

McDaniel, who thought he might be placed on the injured reserve list, missed the Dolphins' next three games and didn't return to practice until earlier this week. He'll likely make his return Monday night.

If he does, he'll be wearing a protective covering.

"They made it where I can still use my hand and protect my thumb at the same time," McDaniel said.

"So it's pretty cool."

Taylor the teacher

For the third time in less than two years, LB Jason Taylor will be playing against his old team. He did it twice a season ago as a member of the Jets, when they played the Dolphins. And now, back with the Dolphins, Taylor is anticipating his first game back against the Jets.

Dolphins coach Tony Sparano is hoping Taylor can teach his teammates a thing or two that might come in handy on Monday night.

"There's a few things that he can add," Sparano said. "This is different than just pulling a player off of a practice squad from some place or anything like that. He was there a year ago. I think he has a pretty good understanding [of] philosophy. … I think philosophically you might be able to get some things on their approach to us."

Final Word: AFC East

October, 14, 2011

Oct 14

1:30

PM ET

By James Walker

Five nuggets of knowledge about Week 6:

Can Rex Ryan beat the Dolphins? Surprisingly, New York Jets coach Rex Ryan has had more success against the New England Patriots in the AFC East than the Miami Dolphins. Ryan is just 1-3 against Miami since joining the Jets in 2009. Ryan has never beaten the Dolphins at home. Miami has come into East Rutherford and beaten the Jets two years in a row. That streak has to end for New York, because this is a must-win game for the Jets (2-3). New York is on a three-game losing streak and is falling behind in the AFC East and playoff races.

Kerley's time: The Jets believe they got a steal in fifth-round pick Jeremy Kerley. The rookie from TCU has shown promise in the return game and at wide receiver. That is why the Jets were not hesitant this week to trade unhappy veteran receiver Derrick Mason to the Houston Texans. Kerley will get a chance to play Mason's former role as the No. 3 receiver against the Dolphins. Kerley caught three passes for 35 yards and a touchdown last week after Mason was benched in a loss to

New England

Battle of No. 28s: Miami's defense entered the season with high expectations. It was ranked No. 6 in the NFL last year. But not much has gone right for this group in its first four games. The Dolphins (0-4) are ranked No. 28 in total defense but have a chance to get back on track against the Jets' struggling offense, which also is ranked 28th. Something has to give between these two underachieving units. Miami's biggest issue is giving up big passing plays. The Dolphins are ranked 31st in passing yards allowed. New York hasn't made many big plays in general in recent weeks.

Pats face a second Ryan: One week after beating Rex Ryan and the Jets, the Patriots host his twin brother, Rob Ryan, who is the defensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys. Both brothers have similar philosophies. Therefore, expect heavy blitzing and attempts to confuse and batter quarterback Tom Brady. Rob Ryan had success against New England's offense last year. As defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns, Ryan and Cleveland pounded New England 34-14 last November.

Rookie contributions: The Buffalo Bills are getting strong contributions from their rookie class. It's been a quiet part of Buffalo's 4-1 start. First-round draft pick Marcell Dareus has been a force on the defensive line all season. Third-round pick Kelvin Sheppard is starting to come on at linebacker, and fourth-round pick Chris Hairston is expected to start his second game at left tackle in place of the injured Demetrius Bell. Rookie defensive back and second-round pick Aaron Williams also contributed before his collarbone injury in Week 3.

Namath jabs Jets again: “These guys aren’t as smart as they think”

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 14, 2011, 2:04 PM EDT

Joe Namath AP

Joe Namath’s campaign of criticism against the Jets doesn’t appear to be ending any time soon.

Namath, who hasn’t missed any opportunities to go after the Jets during their current three-game losing streak, has blasted the team once again.

“These guys aren’t as smart as they think they are,” Namath said on ESPN 1050 in New York.

“They’re making too many penalties; they’re busting too many assignments. They just haven’t been focused the way you need to focus to win consistently in the league.”

After previously saying coach Rex Ryan has the Jets thinking they’re better than they are, Namath has now added that Ryan is too nice to his players.

“Rex is Mr. Good Guy to these guys. He has been. He’s been talking about how good they are all the time. He’s doing everything to win their favor. He bends over backwards for the guys to be on their side,” Namath said. “It might work in the long run, I don’t know. I just think he’s been too darn nice to this team.”

Namath also said that even when the Jets won in Week One against the Cowboys, it was more a matter of the Cowboys’ mistakes than anything the Jets did.

“We’ve lost three in a row,” Namath said, “and if it wasn’t for Tony Romo it may be a 1-4 record.”

Green Lantern: Jets’ Inner Divas Are Killing Them Loudly

Holmes' Latest Outburst Illustrates The Mess This Team Is Fast Becoming

October 14, 2011 2:30 PM

NEW YORK (WFAN) — And you wonder why NFL wide receivers have this reputation.

In the past week the Jets have made more noise off the field than on it. You may be wondering how that’s different than any other week. Well, I’m here to tell you.

Usually, or at least in Jets circles, the idea of talking big takes the form of a demonstrative calling-out of someone on an opposing team. We’ve heard it many, many times with this bunch and by and large it has just been viewed as the “Jets being the Jets.” At first it was shocking because the public wasn’t used to a predominantly underachieving franchise being so boisterous and thinking of itself in such high regard.

But that all changed when Rex Ryan came aboard a few years ago. Winning became the norm and talking about how great you are became the battle cry. I’m still not totally used to it. Maybe I’m insecure. I have no idea.

Regardless, the Jets had become Rembrandts in the art of psychological warfare, not because the opposition took it that seriously, but because being the schoolyard bully worked extremely well for the Jets’ own collective psyche. Simply, they played better. They developed that overused term “swagger,” and executed said touting of themselves while belittling the opposition in grand fashion.

But then a funny thing happened. The Jets started to lose. And with the defeats came a form of mutiny.

Leading the attack on their own kind, naturally, was two receivers. It’s always the receivers who lead the uprising. It’s hysterical. They punch, run and then drop passes.

I didn’t want to believe Santonio Holmes was such a diva. I really wanted to believe Holmes is just a fiery guy with an eye on nothing but winning, as his Super Bowl ring and MVP and penchant for being a game-changing force out wide would seem to suggest.

I was wrong. Holmes is a tremendous football player. He’s also a diva.

As is Derrick Mason.

In the past week, Holmes and Mason joined a star-studded cast of the pampered and famous. One outburst eventually led to a trade and the other set teammate relations back about 50 years.

Both are now, officially, part of the “There’s Plenty Of ‘I’ In T-E-A-M” production on Broadway. They have taken over for Terrell Owens and Randy Moss as the leads. And, rest assured, their actions were partly about getting bravos and curtain calls. Yes, they both want to win. I’d never question their hearts. I just have a serious problem with their approaches.

Mason’s mouth was well known. For him to get fired up about something shouldn’t have come as a shock to anyone. You just figured the guy would go along before he’d get along a bit with the Jets, a new team he’d been with for all of five weeks.

Of course not.

While the plot thickens over what Mason supposedly said to Rex Ryan to get him tossed out of town, Holmes has managed to alienate his entire offensive line with his multiple diatribes to the media. You’d think $50 million would at least buy some class.

Of course not.

“Just throw the ball to No. 10,” he said the other day when asked what the Jets could do to fix their offensive woes.

Doesn’t that sound an awful lot like someone we know, someone who had physical gifts from God but not the first clue how to conduct himself in front of cameras and writers?

Let me try it again: “Just throw the DAMN ball to No. 10.”

Does that help?

Funny, that guy now makes his living in front of a camera. Again, I have no idea.

Anyway, when first the Jets started talking some years back the younger generation of fans felt an inner pull to a faraway land and wanted to be on the last shuttle out of Loserville. They jumped on the Rex bandwagon and bought into the “us against the world” mentality. The old among us cringed and made daily stops at our local house of worship to ask our God what the hell we had done to deserve the burden of having to defend ourselves to opposing fans over our team’s behavior and collective voice.

Ya see, older people don’t give a crap about swagger. We just want to win a championship before we die.

But that all said, a funny thing happened this week. Even the youngest of Jets fan started having moments of pause. When Holmes decided it was time to attack his offensive line for the second time this season, not to mention an earlier verbal barrage on quarterback Mark Sanchez, the young pups started rolling their eyes and saying, “Dude, please, enough already.” Trust me, it’s happening. I have the tweets to prove it.

Jets fans are finally getting wise to this team’s old and busted act. Now some of you, including myself, believe the Jets simply play better when their mouths are running. That’s all well and good.

But this team is hardly the united front it thinks it is when it starts attacking its own kind. You want to get on Tom Brady, good. You want to blast teammate Wayne Hunter or Brandon Moore, bad.

Very bad.

The Jets have backed themselves into a corner with no windows. They have no idea what they are offensively, no clue what they want to be viewed as by the public and absolutely not a hint of an understanding that you keep team issues in-house. They have no identity. They keep trying out different personas and keep ending up looking like rank amateurs.

Sooner or later, this team has to realize that the best way to send a message is to do it on the field. I know. That’s about as overused a cliche as there is, but it’s so apropos right now I can’t think of any other way to state it.

The Jets are currently men without a country. Jets Nation is beginning to protest. The media is having a field day. Opponents are chomping at the bit to smack around the “greatest show in print.”

This isn’t even a case where one could feel sorry for the Jets in some form. They’ve totally made their own bed this season, but are currently on the outs with the wife and sleeping on the couch.

The only way to fix this problem is to swallow some pride, ease off on the off-field histrionics and get back to the basics of playing football.

Because if you thought this past week was interesting just imagine what next week will be like if they lose or look bad in beating the winless and crummy Dolphins on Monday night.

It would be a nightmare of epic proportions.

And they’d have no one but themselves to blame.

Jets Takeoff! A Preview of Week 6 Matchup with the Miami Dolphins

AUTHOR: Alan Schechter | IN: Jets | COMMENTS: None Yet |

The Dolphins, although winless, do have a tough defense. The run defense of the Dolphins ranks second in the AFC in rushing yards allowed with 430, and 7th in the conference in yards per game allowed on the ground with 107.5. They have a tough front seven, and this will be a key matchup against the Jets offensive line.

Holy fake stats Batman! They are 2nd in the AFC in rushing yards allowed, but 7th in yards per game? They had a bye. They also have the 31st rated pass defense.

Jets' Brandon Moore calls Santonio Holmes' comments disappointing, fragmenting

Published: Friday, October 14, 2011, 3:36 PM Updated: Friday, October 14, 2011, 3:46 PM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Receiver Santonio Holmes has made critical comments of the Jets' offensive line twice now, after the loss in Baltimore and again yesterday. Right guard Brandon Moore, the longest-tenured member of the Jets' line, has been bothered by his teammate's words.

"I'm disappointed," Moore said after practice today. "I've never had a teammate do that that I can recall. It's not really being a captain, a leader. It fragments. It’s not productive."

Holmes has called out the line's ability to protect quarterback Mark Sanchez this season and yesterday said the Jets can't throw the deep ball because of protection issues.

After the Baltimore game, Sanchez said the locker room was reminded to keep such criticisms "in house."

"Obviously, he’s got the green light to do that from somebody up top, the people that run the team or whatever," said Moore, a 9-year veteran. "He’s got the 'C' on his chest, and he can do that."

Holmes was selected by coach Rex Ryan as one of the team's five captains this season. Asked who might have given Holmes the green light, Moore said, "I don’t know. It keeps happening, so obviously it is OK."

Holmes said yesterday he was trying to avoid saying what he really felt, and he also did seem to acknowledge how difficult of a job the linemen have. But before the end of the interview, he said: "I think it starts up front, and the big guys know it. If they give Mark enough time to sit in the pocket and complete passes, I think everything changes."

Holmes added: “But if you can’t protect the quarterback for four or five seconds, then there’s no point of dropping back 7 yards to throw a football when we don’t have enough time. So we pretty much have to roll with the way our offense is right now.”

Moore said he has not spoken directly to Holmes about his comments.

"We don't have any contact," he said.

Asked if the other linemen felt similarly disrespected, he said he thought so.

"I think it’s just upsetting and disappointing," Moore said. "A guy you play for every Sunday -- you know, you play for each guy on the team, he’s one of those guys you play for -- for him to do that is disappointing. So yeah, I would say so."

How fracturing can it be in a locker room? Moore didn't cite any specific evidence, but he knows there can be an effect.

"I think it can be," Moore said. "Whenever you’ve got a person on your unit that is publicly diminishing the job and work you put in, I guess it can have an effect."

LT shows Kerley some TCU love

October, 14, 2011

Oct 14

4:49

PM ET

By Mike Mazzeo

LaDainian Tomlinson showed Jeremy Kerley some serious TCU love after Friday’s practice.

“I think he can be Wes Welker or Wayne Chrebet,” LT said of the dynamic rookie slot wide receiver/punt returner. “I think he can really be that type of guy because of his quickness, [ability to] catch the ball and his toughness. I think he’s everything that you would want in a receiver that can play slot or line up wide and play.”

Kerley, of course, will get the opportunity to be the Jets’ third wideout now that Derrick Mason has been traded.

“I wouldn’t say Wes Welker or anything like that,” Kerley replied when told of LT’s praise. “I’m just trying to fill a role.”

Tomlinson met Kerley when he was a sophomore at TCU during spring practice.

“He’s a Horned Frog, that’s just how it is,” Kerley said of LT. “We had that bond right away.”

Asked how Tomlinson has mentored him, Kerley said, “Just helping me out on the field and telling me little things as far as keeping my head in it and watching out for this and that.”

LT finished his TCU career with 5,263 rushing yards -- including an NCAA-high 2,158 and 22 touchdowns his senior year in 2000.

• Nick Mangold says he’s “doing well” despite being limited at Friday’s practice. Mangold missed Thursday’s practice with an ankle injury.

The veteran center says he’s feeling less pain and getting more movement.

Rex Ryan said “he’s not real sure” about Ropati Pitoitua, who missed Thursday’s and Friday’s practices, calling his status for Monday night's game against Miami “really questionable.”

Brandon Moore rips Santonio Holmes for ripping Jets’ line

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 14, 2011, 4:56 PM EDT

Moore_Brandon

The sniping inside the Jets’ locker room continues.

Jets receiver Santonio Holmes told reporters that the blame for the offensive struggles lies squarely on the offensive line, and now Jets guard Brandon Moore is telling reporters that Holmes ought to shut his mouth.

“It’s disrespectful,” Moore said. “Guys work hard. To put your teammates out to dry, guys you work with every day so on Sundays you can have productive day, that’s not really being a leader. That’s not being a captain.”

Moore said he went to Holmes privately when Holmes had previously bad-mouthed the offensive line, and since that didn’t work he now thinks it’s OK to do his talking with Holmes through the media.

“I talked to him after the last time he did it the week after the Baltimore game and he didn’t see anything wrong with it,” Moore said. “I don’t know what he thinks about me; I don’t deal with him, and I probably won’t deal with him after this.”

Although Jets coach Rex Ryan and quarterback Mark Sanchez have both indicated that they want players to keep their complaints in-house, Moore hinted that he thinks someone told Holmes to go ahead and come forward with his critique of the offensive line.

“But apparently he’s allowed to say whatever he wants to around here now,” Moore said.

“Apparently someone around here told him that it’s OK to do that because he keeps doing it.”

Moore, who’s been with the Jets for nine years, added, “I’ve just never seen anything like this.”

Ellis likely to make debut Monday night

October, 14, 2011

Oct 14

5:54

PM ET

By Mike Mazzeo

Get excited, Jets fans: Kenrick Ellis may make his NFL debut on Monday night.

“It’s looking that way,” defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said Friday. “I can see this being the week. He’s been getting all the reps in practice.”

The rookie defensive tackle, the team’s third-round pick out of Hampton, has yet to be active for a game this season. But with the Dolphins being a run-oriented team, Pettine said he “wants to beef up the middle.”

The 6-4, nearly 350-pound Ellis certainly fits the bill.

Ellis making his debut would mean that Ropati Pitoitua will miss the game, and it’s looking more and more like that’s going to be the case.

Coulda Woulda Shoulda: In hindsight, Pettine wishes he had gone to a more “heavier” defensive scheme on the Patriots’ final drive last Sunday, daring them to throw the ball.

But instead, Pettitte elected to put seven defensive backs on the field for the first four plays. Tom Brady easily figured out what the Jets were doing.

So Brady called runs on the first seven plays of the drive -- even after the Jets finally inserted more run stoppers -- allowing the Patriots to march down the field. They eventually capped off the 13-play, 69-yard drive with a field goal to put the game out of reach.

“Daring Brady to throw it isn’t always the best way to get them off the field,” Pettine said.

Thanks for the info: Pettine said backup quarterback Kevin O’Connell has been a great source of information this week because he was in training camp with the Dolphins -- especially with regards to the mobility of their signal-callers.

Miami signed O’Connell on Aug. 5, but released him nearly a month later, and the Jets picked him up the next day.

What a waste: Pettine said the Jets wasted what he called the best performance of Mike DeVito’s career.

The fifth-year defensive end had three tackles.

Pettine, Defense Wary of Matt Moore at QB

By Andrew LeRay

Posted 24 minutes ago

When the Miami Dolphins enter MetLife Stadium for Monday night’s matchup with the Jets, they will be led by their new starting quarterback. Matt Moore replaces Chad Henne, who will miss the remainder of the season after suffering a shoulder injury on Oct. 2.

The Jets will be glad to see the Dolphins without Henne, who has posted a 3-1 record with six touchdowns, one interception and a passer rating of 94.2 against them in his career. Although Henne is out, Moore presents his own problems for the Green & White defense.

“What worries us is his ability to run the ball,” said defense coordinator Mike Pettine during his weekly news briefing this afternoon. “It’s something they coach down there. He’s very mobile.”

A fourth-year veteran, Moore has career rushing numbers that are less than impressive — 21 attempts for 26 yards. However, once outside the pocket, he is able to keep plays alive with his feet, buying time to find an open receiver or tuck the ball and run.

“It’s a challenge for us every week,” said CB Darrelle Revis. “We’re familiar with Matt Moore, with him being in Carolina and making plays throughout the years. We just have to do a good job studying this week and making sure he doesn’t hurt us through the air.”

Pettine said that Jets QB Kevin O’Connell has been particularly helpful in learning the tendencies of the Dolphins’ offensive system. O’Connell spent this past training camp in Miami, sharing snaps with Henne and Moore.

Moore is aided by his ace target, WR Brandon Marshall. At 6’4” and 230 pounds, Marshall is a difficult matchup for any defense, combining ferocious physicality with plus speed.

“He’s one of the best receivers in the league,” said Revis. “He’s a threat. We figure this game is going to come down to a dogfight.”

While Revis was speaking metaphorically, Marshall also believes the game may come down to a scrap.

“I’m going to play like a monster,” Marshall told the Miami media on Thursday. “I might get into a fight with Bart Scott. Antonio Cromartie, we pretty much matured our relationship a little bit. If it happens, it happens. We’ll see.”

Pettine wouldn’t mind if Marshall decided to get himself ejected on Monday.

“I just shook my head when I saw that one,” said Pettine. “As long as it’s not a one-for-one trade, he can go right ahead.”

While part of this week was spent developing a defensive scheme to stop Moore and Marshall, the Jets spent most of their time on self-improvement. All week, head coach Rex Ryan preached the importance of “alignment, assignment and technique.”

“It’s the basics,” said Pettine. “Do your job and good things will happen. Part of doing your job is knowing your job.”

Pettine pointed out one particular instance from last week’s loss to the Patriots where failure to complete seemingly menial tasks resulted in an undesirable outcome.

“I addressed it Monday — we probably wasted Mike DeVito’s best performance of his career,” said Pettine. “We have some guys playing at a very high level and other that are hit or miss. If we raise our level of consistency, we’ll get back to where we need to be.”

According to Revis, where the Jets “need to be” is in the win column.

“We’re desperate for a win. We need a win,” said Revis. “We’re on a three-game losing streak, so it’s good to be at home, and we need to get a win.”

League won’t be sending a warning letter to Brandon Marshall

Posted by Mike Florio on October 14, 2011, 7:17 PM EDT

Dolphins receiver Brandon Marshall said Thursday that he plans to get ejected from Monday night’s game. In past cases of players making known their intention to break the rules, the league has sent a strongly-worded letter pointing out that, if they do so in premeditated fashion, the consequences will be even worse than they otherwise would have been.

In Marshall’s case, he’ll be getting no such letter.

Said NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told PFT earlier today regarding that possibility, “No. He knows the rules.”

Right. He knows the rules. And he plans to break them.

The difference may be that Marshall hasn’t stated any intention to try to injure an opponent. Still, he apparently plans to be a disruption on Monday night, unless it truly was a joke without a punch line.

Archived