Jets News 11-2

flgreen

Jets quarterbacks take hunting and camping trip over bye week

Published: Tuesday, November 01, 2011, 6:17 PM Updated: Wednesday, November 02, 2011, 4:08 AM

92.png By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

10209627-large.jpgWilliam Perlman/The Star-LedgerJets QB Mark Sanchez said the Jets looked as crisp as he's seen them in a post-bye practice on Monday.

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez spent part of his bye week home in California, watching alma maters Mission Viejo and USC. He spent the rest on a hunting and camping trip with teammates Mark Brunell and Kevin O'Connell.

The three quarterbacks went on the outdoors trip about 30 minutes from the team's facility in New Jersey, Sanchez said today on his weekly interview with ESPN 1050 radio.

"It was really fun, something I don't get to do a lot," Sanchez said. "We talked about the season, our families, guy stuff — it was cool, really fun."

Sanchez said Brunell is an avid bow-hunter of deer, dubbing him "Robin Hood." Sanchez and O'Connell, meanwhile, helped spot and track the deer. They later ate what Brunell had caught.

The Jets returned to practice yesterday, which Sanchez said was the sharpest he has seen the team coming off a bye week in his three years in the NFL. After practice, LG Matt Slauson made waves by calling Wayne Hunter an upgrade at right tackle over the retired Damien Woody.

"I think he's paying a compliment to Wayne; I don't think it's any slight on (Woody)," Sanchez said.

"I've had the luxury of playing behind both of those guys, and they're great people, great teammates, and ever better players. I think Wayne is really coming into his own right now, and really establishing himself in his right tackle spot and as a starter for the first time ... I'm thrilled with his production. Both guys are great in my book, and I think (Slauson) was just giving Wayne a compliment."

Woody also responded to Slauson's comments yesterday, saying they didn't bother him in the least, and that he hopes Hunter will succeed, calling himself one of Hunter's "biggest advocates."

"I look at it as, obviously (Slauson) has an opinion and that's fine," Woody said in a telephone interview. "Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. But I'm confident, I feel great about what I've accomplished throughout my career, particularly with the Jets, and what I brought to the team.

"I have nothing but fond memories and Slauson is a great guy, we have a special bond in that room and I got nothing but the utmost respect for those guys. Honestly, he's supposed to support his guy.

I'm not even in the locker room anymore, even though I know those guys I'm not in there anymore, so he's an ex-teammate.

"He's supposed to support his guy and I support Wayne Hunter too. I'm his biggest advocate, I want him to do well and succeed, he's a great guy. Did it bother me? Not at all, I'm happy where I'm at."

Staff writer Conor Orr contributed to this story.

For more Jets coverage, follow Jenny Vrentas on Twitter at twitter.com/Jennyvrentas

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

Brad Smith discusses his Jets departure

November, 1, 2011

Nov 1

7:15

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Caught up with former Jets all-purpose star Brad Smith, who will face his old team Sunday when the Jets visit Buffalo. A few thoughts from Smith on the game and other topics:

• "Actually, I've been trying not to think about it, but the guys on the team kept talking about it (Monday), so it kind of forced me to think about it. It'll be unreal. Being with the Jets for five years, and now to face against those guys you fought with, and did some good things with ... It's going to be fun. I'm looking forward to hitting Eric Smith (a close friend) and seeing those guys."

• Feelings about the Jets: "I have so much love and respect for those guys -- the organization, Mr. (Woody) Johnson and Rex (Ryan), and I mean that. I'm not just saying it to say it."

• On when it dawned on him that his days with the Jets were over: "I don't know if I can pinpoint it, but when free agency opened up, just talking to them and seeing where everybody was ... Time started ticking when you could sign. I started thinking, 'What if I'm not back? What if I'm not playing with these guys next year?' That's when it entered my mind."

• Fondest memories in New York: "So many. The thing that is helping me now is going back to my rookie year (2006), that first draft class when coach (Eric) Mangini was there. We all went through it -- Brick (D'Brickashaw Ferguson), Nick Mangold, Eric Smith, all those guys. It was tough. I'll never forget how all those guys came from different backgrounds, and we really became close, really good friends."

• On his closest friend, Smith, with whom he spoke only a couple of days ago: "He's not allowed to hit me. That's the rule for this week (laughing) ... We're like brothers. You get along with you're going against everybody else, but when you go against each other, there's probably going to be a fight."

• Thoughts on the Tim Tebow controversy/phenomenon (remember, Smith was a college quarterback who was drafted as a wide receiver): "I met him at a high-school quarterback camp in California, where I was a counselor. I got a chance to sit and talk with him and work out with him. He's a good guy. As a quarterback, he deserves a chance to learn and grow, just like any other young quarterback. He definitely deserves a chance."

Sanchez tells campfire stories

November, 1, 2011

Nov 1

6:44

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Mark Sanchez's bye-week break consisted of camping, hunting, fishing, male bonding and cheerleading at his alma maters.

Sanchez spent two days in the northern New Jersey woods, camping with fellow quarterbacks Mark Brunell and Kevin O'Connell. (Greg McElroy was on a family vacation.) Sanchez, appearing in his weekly spot Tuesday on ESPN New York 1050's "The Michael Kay Show," said Brunell killed a couple of deer with his bow. He and O'Connell served as spotters and trackers, not shooters.

kay_134.jpgListen to the complete interview:

button_play.gif button_download.gif"Brunell is a marksman with a bow, like Robin Hood," Sanchez said.

Sanchez said they caught fish and hung around a campfire, telling Rex Ryan stories. Only kidding; he didn't say that.

"We talked about the season, we talked about our families, we talked about guy stuff," he said. "It was cool. It was really fun."

After that, Sanchez flew home to California to watch his old schools, Mission Viejo High School and USC. Mission Viejo won, USC didn't, losing a thriller to Stanford. He said he was struck by how supportive the home crowd was to RB Curtis McNeal, who fumbled in the end zone in overtime.

Sanchez, who was on the field late in the triple-OT game, was near McNeal as they walked through the tunnel to the locker room. The Jets' QB said the fans weren't booing or ripping McNeal for costing USC the game, and he noted the stark contrast to pro crowds. At one point, Sanchez almost seemed to be pining for the innocent days of college ball.

"You throw a pick at the end of a game or you fumble at the end of a game and lose, oh, man, put some ear plugs in and walk in the locker room, and don't even bother picking up a paper for about a week and a half," said Sanchez, describing his current world. "It's such a different game and the expectations are so different. It just reminded me of where I'm at -- how lucky I am to be where I'm at -- and to remind myself you have to have thick skin here."

It was the second time in a week that Sanchez talked about how tough it is to play quarterback in New York. On a Los Angeles-based radio show last week, he discussed the fickle nature of fans and media.

Sanchez said he wasn't complaining.

"It's a job, it's a different atmosphere," he said, "but it was so different to see that. You almost forget, you forget what it was like there."

And to think, he's had it relatively easy in New York.

Nick Mangold and Rex Ryan pleased with progress of NY Jets offensive line

Gang Green o-line clearing the way for successful ground game

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Wednesday, November 2 2011, 12:10 AM

image.jpg

Rich Schultz/AP

Jets QB Mark Sanchez (red jersey) sees snappy improvement from his line including Vladimir Ducasse (from l.), Nick Mangold and Matt Slauson.

The offensive line will always be the backbone of “Rex Ryan Football,” the grind-it-out, mauling style that Gang Green was missing in the first month of the season.

For all the preseason chatter about the Jets’ promising aerial attack, Ryan & Co. have returned to their ground-and-pound roots thanks to a reenergized line that has found its way after a shaky start.

“Line play is all about rhythm and comfort with each other,” said All-Pro center Nick Mangold, who missed the better part of three games with a high ankle sprain in the first month. “It’s building that. It doesn’t happen overnight. As we had some (early-season) troubles, it gave us a good kick in the butt and let us know that, hey, we really need to pick things up. Our guys took the challenge really well. We’re happy with what we’re doing, but there’s still plenty of room for improvement.”

The line has been solid during the Jets’ two-game winning streak, limiting hits on Mark Sanchez and creating open spaces for Shonn Greene, who has come alive after a slow start.

“I feel really good about where we’re at,” Ryan said. “As an offense, I feel like we’re at our best right now. This should be the best our offense has looked and it kind of feels that way. We’re back to running the ball better. We’re protecting the quarterback.”

The line’s improved play has quieted some of the critics.

“I watched a lot of things on NFL Network and ESPN,” left guard Matt Slauson said. “They’re all saying that, ‘Well, the Jets aren’t running the ball because they’re not the same team. They don’t have those guys that can grind on you play after play.’ That just isn’t true. We have the guys.... So there’s no excuse for us to not run. We’re really close.”

“One of these games,” Slauson added, “We’re just going to pop.”

It could be Sunday against a vulnerable Bills run defense that ranks 20th in yards allowed (120 per game) and 27th in yards per carry (4.9).

“We can always get better,” right tackle Wayne Hunter said. “How much better? We still haven’t had a 300-yard game on the ground yet.”

If recent history is an indication, that could change on Sunday. The Jets’ offensive line has controlled each of the four games against the Bills under Ryan.

Ryan’s teams have rushed for a staggering 1,116 yards at 6.1 yards per carry against the Bills in the past two years. Gang Green has averaged 46 rushing attempts and 279 yards on the ground against Buffalo during that span.

“I like to say that we’re the foundation,” Mangold said. “We like to believe that we’re always going to be doing the right thing. We’re going to be out there working (so) other guys can grab onto it or feed off it. That’s our mind-set.”

INS AND OUTS

WR Michael Campbell was signed to the practice squad to replace WR Scotty McKnight, who was placed on practice squad injured reserve with a torn ACL in his left knee.

IN THE HUNT

Sanchez told ESPN radio on Tuesday that he spent part of the bye week going on a deer hunting trip in New Jersey with Mark Brunell and Kevin O’Connell.

REX A STEELER FAN

Although Ryan maintained that he’s not looking beyond the Bills, he admitted that he was impressed with the Steelers’ win over the Patriots, who come to the Meadowlands in Week 10.

“That was a great formula,” Ryan said of the Steelers’ plan last Sunday. “I love it. Pittsburgh has the formula to beat New England. I’ll give them credit for it. I don’t know what the time of possession was, but man, I’d sign up for that one. The (Steelers’) offense kept the football forever. The defense really challenged New England. But it’s much easier said than done.”

CHARGED UP

Ryan doesn’t harbor any ill feelings toward backup center Colin Baxter, who chose to sign with the Chargers’ practice squad over the Jets’ practice squad after Gang Green waived him. Baxter cleared waivers and returned to San Diego, where he spent training camp.

It wasn t like we didn t make an offer, Ryan said. We wanted him to come back to our practice squad. I understand where he s coming from. He thinks he has a better shot playing there than he would here.

Certainly, I m not going to argue with that. You ve got the best center in football, Nick Mangold. ... I certainly understand his position. I would never begrudge a guy for doing that if he thinks he has a better chance to play somewhere else.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/nick-mangold-rex-ryan-pleased-progress-ny-jets-offensive-line-article-1.970961#ixzz1cYHEKBMC

Jets-Bills matchup finally has some juice

Jets Blog

Last Updated: 8:23 AM, November 2, 2011

Posted: 1:17 AM, November 2, 2011

brian_costello.pngBrian Costello

ON THE JETS

The Jets and Bills have played 100 times over the past 51 years, and hardly any of those games have been memorable.

Unlike their other AFC East foes, the Patriots and Dolphins, the team from upstate has never been a true rival of the Jets. There is the 1981 playoff game, O.J. Simpson in the snow in 1973 ... and not

much else when you look at their shared history.

That is about to change.

The Jets and Bills play Sunday in Orchard Park in a game that holds huge implications for both teams. The Jets are trying to prove they are back, and the Bills are trying to prove they have arrived.

jets--300x300.jpg

AP

WEAK RIVALRY: O.J. Simpson rushed for his 2,000th yard against the Jets in 1973, who were unable to hold him under 200 yards in coach Weeb Ewbank’s final game. This was one of the few memorable matchups between the Jets and Bills, The Post’s Brian Costello says.

Since coach Rex Ryan was hired in 2009, it has felt like the AFC East was going to be a contest between the Patriots and Jets for the foreseeable future. But Chan Gailey’s Bills have crashed the party. With Ryan Fitzpatrick and Fred Jackson leading the offense, the Bills are tied for first place and are for real.

Sunday’s game could be the start of a rivalry that has never developed despite the two teams playing at least twice a year.

The Jets (then Titans) and Bills were AFL babies who first played each other in 1960. Both franchises have endured plenty of lean years (see the 1970s), and whenever one franchise has been up, the other has been down.

When the Jets were winning the Super Bowl following the 1968 season, the Bills were 1-12-1 -- though the one win did come against the Jets thanks to five interceptions (three returned for touchdowns) thrown by future team ombudsman Joe Namath. When the Bills were making annual trips to the Super Bowl in the early 1990s, the Jets were living with Browning Nagle and Bruce Coslet.

The teams have qualified for the playoffs in the same year just three times -- 1981, 1991 and 1998.

They have both finished with winning records in the same year just four times.

Two Simpsons have the only memorable moments in the series. O.J. Simpson rushed for his 2,000th yard against the Jets in 1973 with the Jets unable to hold him under 200 yards in Weeb Ewbank’s farewell game. The other, even more painful memory for Jets fans, is Bill Simpson intercepting Richard Todd at the 2-yard line in the final seconds of the Bills’ 31-27 playoff win in 1981.

Sunday’s game will be just the ninth time the teams have met with both having winning records this late in the season. The last time was 2008, but that proved to be just a tease. That year, the teams had the same records they have this year -- the Jets at 4-3, the Bills at 5-2. But the Bills were already showing signs of collapse, and the Jets’ marriage to Brett Favre felt as enduring as Kim Kardashian’s to Kris Humphries.

Jets look ahead

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Record

Print | E-mail

Jets (4-3) at Bills (5-2)

At Ralph Wilson Stadium

Sunday, 1 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2; Radio: ESPN-AM 1050

Early line: Bills by 1 1/2

The Jets have yet to win on the road this season, either on the scoreboard or against the spread, after two excellent seasons away from home. (They were 15-7 overall and 14-8 against the spread on the road the last two years, including playoffs.) Former Jet Brad Smith will play against his former team for the first time. The WR and Wildcat QB is averaging 4.4 yards rushing on 19 carries with one touchdown, but only 20.6 yards on five kickoff returns.

On the hot seat

Rex Ryan: Yes, the verbose coach has done a good job of getting the Jets back on track after their three-game losing streak, but he will face questions all week about how the Jets have lost both times coming out of the bye on his watch. He again gave the players six consecutive days off, and if rust is a problem Sunday, Ryan certainly will get the blame. He said Monday he believes the team is further ahead in preparation than usual coming off a bye.

Game plan

The Jets' running game finally got on track and they will need it again to control the clock and prevent Buffalo QB Ryan Fitzpatrick from establishing a rhythm. The Bills' defense has been rather pliable against the run, allowing 4.9 yards per carry, and NT Kyle Williams (foot) won't play Sunday. QB Mark Sanchez must be wary of a ballhawking Buffalo defense that has 14 interceptions, including three for touchdowns. Longtime nemesis Fred Jackson is having a terrific season with 1,074 yards from scrimmage. It will be interesting to see if Smith or former Buffalo OLB Aaron Maybin, who has been wreaking havoc as a Jet, makes a game-changing play against his old team.

— J.P. Pelzman

Scouting the Bills

November, 2, 2011

Nov 2

6:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

The Bills have come a long way since last Jan. 2, when they were embarrassed by the Jets' jayvee team in a meaningless season finale. Here's a quick take on the Bills (5-2), one of the surprise teams in the NFL:

• For the Jets, it's all about stopping two players, QB Ryan Fitzpatrick and RB Fred Jackson. Fitzpatrick, the Harvard man, is the sixth-leading passer in the NFL (97.8 rating) and Jackson (721 yards, 5.5 ypc) is the fourth-leading rusher. Jackson, one of the most under-rated players in the league, has five 100-yard rushing games.

• The Bills are what the Jets wanted to be on offense, a relatively balanced attack that spreads the field and can beat you with the run or the pass. (Run-pass ratio: 45-55.) They use three- and four-receiver packages the entire game, relying on Fitzpatrick's ability to deliver the ball quickly and accurately. When they run, they exploit defenses that have only five or six players in the box. The Jets won't be in their base defense much at all.

• The Bills blanked the Redskins, 23-0, their first shutout since 2006, but that doesn't mean that all is right with their defense. Before that, the Bills had allowed at least 400 total yards in five straight games, the longest streak by any team since the 2008 Chiefs. Their perennially awful run defense is slightly better with ILB Nick Barnett and rookie NT/DE Marcel Dareus in the middle, but it's still allowing 4.9 per rush. The Jets are licking their chops, having averaged 279 rushing yards per game over the last four meetings.

• If Mark Sanchez & Co. can avoid turnovers, it will be a significant boost to their chances of winning. The Bills' defense is all about forcing turnovers (we know they're not a shut-down defense), and when they don't create extra opportunities ... well, they lose. The Bills have lost 15 straight when they don't force a turnover. For the record, the Bills and tied for the league lead with 18 takeaways.

• Weird trend of the week: The Bills are only the eighth team in NFL history to start 4-0 at home after starting the previous season at 0-4.

• Former Jets WR/KR Brad Smith has had a limited impact in Buffalo. He's had only 30 touches -- 0-for-1 passing, 19 rushes for 84 yards (out of the Wildcat), five receptions for 43 yards and five kickoff returns for a 20.6 average.

• Like the Jets, the Bills' special teams are always excellent.

Morning take: Brad Smith vs. Jets

November, 2, 2011

Nov 2

8:00

AM ET

By James Walker

Here are the most interesting stories Wednesday morning in the AFC East:

• Buffalo Bills receiver Brad Smith talks about his first game against his former team, the New York Jets.

Morning take: Smith made some dynamic plays in New York and is still trying to find his niche in Buffalo. Could Sunday’s game against his former team get him going in the right direction?

Morning take: That is a lofty goal. Rex Ryan has been to back-to-back AFC title games. That success should help Rob Ryan get an opportunity. Will Miami make the call?

Morning take: Click on the link and find out. Bills fans will be happy.

Morning take: The offense hasn’t scored as many points the past two weeks. But I don’t think that’s enough cause for concern. New England is 5-2.

bassett1.png

Jets Sign Campbell to Squad, Move Scotty McKnight to IR

by Bassett on November 2nd, 2011 at 8:11 am

The New York Jets have announced the signing of WR Michael Campbell back to the practice squad after about a week’s absence. The team placed WR Scotty McKnight on practice squad injured reserve with a torn ACL in his left knee.

It will be interesting to see what the team does with Scotty McKnight long-term … do they foresee a Danny Woodhead role for him down the road? Woodhead of course wasn’t the right fit for the team

at the time, their between the tackles running didn’t support his skillset … something that Brady’s spread offense is much better suited at doing.

Kerley seems to be making a strong statement that he’ll be the slot receiver for many years to come, so where does McKnight fit? Will he be able to carve out a role on specials in 2012? That seems to be where he’d need to start.

Wayne Hunter fixes issue, has big support team

image.JPG

Updated: Nov 01, 2011 09:32 PM

By RODERICK BOONE

Multiple Page View

Wayne Hunter was disgusted with his early-season play.

He knew things were spiraling toward a place he wasn't quite ready to visit, not after inking a four-year, $13-million deal to replace Damien Woody at right tackle. So in the aftermath of the Jets ' Week 2 win over the Jaguars , he did some soul searching and tried to get his mind right with the help of left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and the Jets ' team psychologist Sara Hickman.

"I think both of them together really helped get me out of that funk because it could've easily just kept snowballing," Hunter told Newsday, "and I just could've had average games for the rest of the year. But I've been playing really good."

Especially in the last four games. But the first two weeks were tough. In Week 1, the Cowboys' DeMarcus Ware beat Hunter on the first play from scrimmage, sacking Mark Sanchez for a 5-yard loss.

"First game was rough," Hunter said. " . . . I just wasn't in it mentally. Everyone knows I've got the physical ability to do it. Mentally, I just wasn't there."

Hunter self-destructed in what he admits was a "rough game" vs. the Jaguars , committing 25 yards in penalties on successive drives. Visions of getting the hook in favor of second-year reserve Vladimir Ducasse began dancing in Hunter's head.

"I was like, 'If I don't talk to someone, this could easily snowball and get worse as the season goes along and eventually they are going to pull me and try to put Vlad in,' " Hunter said. "So it wasn't hard for me at all. I knew I needed to talk to someone and D'Brickashaw was the guy I needed to talk to."

The duo had a heartfelt two-hour conversation six weeks ago. Ferguson, the Freeport native and No. 4 pick in 2006, struggled in his first two seasons, yielding 23 sacks. But he's developed nicely and made the Pro Bowl the last two seasons.

"I can only imagine what he went through," Hunter said. "So it was good to talk to him."

For the 30-year-old Hunter, who spent time in domestic violence counseling during his rookie season in Seattle after he was arrested and charged with two counts of fourth-degree assault, discussing things with Hickman was important.

"Sara is just a totally awesome bonus to have on the side as just someone to talk to and vent what you are feeling," Hunter said. "I know when to swallow my pride and go seek help. My history speaks for itself. Having some off-the-field issues, you've got to know when to just say, 'You know what? You need to go talk to someone and get help.' And that's the way it felt after the first two games."

In essence, Hunter had a little bit of stage fright.

"When that first game came, the pressure was a little bit more than what I thought it was going to be," he said, "and I think that had to do with it being a full-time starter, also being 9/11, and knowing that everybody -- everybody -- was watching. It got to a part where Brick and Sara were like, 'You've just got to care about what the people in this building think, and forget about what everyone else thinks.' "

And now?

"I feel like the Wayne that played the preseason games last year," Hunter said, "the Wayne that they want, the Wayne that they paid for. I feel like that guy, finally."

Maybin back in Buffalo

Aaron Maybin had Sunday’s game against the Bills circled on his calendar once he re-signed with the Jets in September, and the linebacker is fired up to show his old team that he’s not a bust.

Maybin, who’s tied for the Jets’ team lead in sacks with three, failed to post a single sack in his two seasons in Buffalo after being selected No. 11 overall in 2009. “It’s a game that I’ve been eyeing for some time,” he said. “So I’m going to do my best to make sure I’m prepared.”

Goodbye, bad bye?

The Jets haven’t fared well in the Rex Ryan Era following the bye. They’re 0-2, having lost at home to the Jaguars (24-22) in 2009 and the Packers (9-0) last year.

“There are some things that we’ve done ,” Ryan said. “We’re ahead of the game right now as far as preparation goes for Buffalo.”

Fast Fred

The Bills have the league’s fifth-best rushing attack, averaging 140 yards per game. Fred Jackson has been solid, currently fourth overall in rushing with 721 yards. He has nine runs of 20-plus yards, tying him for first with the Bears’ Matt Forte .

“Fred Jackson has been a monster,” Ryan said. “He is really running the ball well and he’s catching the ball. He’s doing a lot of things for them. He’s making a lot of big plays for them.”

Bay Shore coach honored

The Jets announced that Bay Shore High School’s Jim Giattino has been named this week’s recipient of the Jets high school coach of the week award. Giattino will receive $1,000 to benefit the school’s football program and will be presented with a certificate from the Jets.

Bay Shore coach honored

The Jets announced that Bay Shore High School’s Jim Giattino has been named this week’s recipient of the Jets high school coach of the week award. Giattino will receive $1,000 to benefit the school’s football program and will be presented with a certificate from the Jets.

Hell yea. My alma mater. Go Marauders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rex Ryan, Chan Gailey praise Buffalo Bills' Fred Jackson

11:05 AM, Nov. 2, 2011 |

Comments

34300055001_1253610784001_vs-1253582183001.jpg?pubId=34300055001

Fred Jackson talks about his strong start to the 2...: The running back speaks as the Bills get ready to face the Jets Sunday in Orchard Park.

Written by

Adam Benigni

WGRZ-TV

Ask Jets coach Rex Ryan about the Buffalo Bills, and the first player he'll mention is Fred Jackson.

"Fred Jackson is a monster."

Jackson has been a force this season for the Buffalo offense and head coach Chan Gailey is quick to give him credit as the Bills get ready to host the Jets on Sunday in a key division match-up.

"He catches, he runs, he protects. He's doing an amazing job for our football team right now. We wouldn't be where we are without him, I know that."

Jackson's strength is his versatility, to the point where it's allowing him to make history.

Through seven games, Jackson has 1,074 yards from scrimmage. The only other Bills to have done that over seven games in the history of the franchise are O.J. Simpson and Thurman Thomas.

Jackson seems proud to be keeping that company. "Those two guys did it better for this franchise than anyone... It's great to be mentioned in the same breath," he says.

Jackson's scenic route to the NFL makes his story all the more compelling. He went undrafted out of Coe College. He played in indoor leagues and in NFL Europe before Marv Levy, another Coe alum and Bills GM at the time, gave him a shot in 2006.

It's an opportunity he's clearly made the most of.

Through Week 8, Jackson ranks fourth in the NFL in rushing with 721 yards.

Super Bowl Host Committee Announces Board of Trustees

By Special Contributor

Posted 50 minutes ago

The 2014 New York/New Jersey Super Bowl Host Committee today announced the nine individuals who will serve on the Board of Trustees.

A diverse group of notable professionals with distinct ties to New Jersey and New York, the committee comprises film executives, legal experts, political minds and former athletes.

Members of the 2014 NY/NJ Super Bowl Host Sponsor Committee Board of Trustees are:

Ira Akselrad, President, The Johnson Company Inc.

Akselrad, prior to joining The Johnson Company in 2006 as executive vice president and general counsel, was an attorney for 22 years at the New York law firm Proskauer Rose LLP.

Laura Forese, Senior Vice President, Chief Medical Officer and Chief Operating Officer, New York Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center

Forese is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon and former faculty member in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Columbia University and became a full-time hospital executive in 2003.

Al Kelly, President and Chief Executive Officer, 2014 NY/NJ Super Bowl Host Company Inc.

Kelly, the former president of the American Express Company, was appointed CEO and president of the Host Committee in April.

Curtis Martin, former New York Jet; Founder, Curtis Martin Foundation

Martin spent nine of his 12 years in the NFL with the Jets, retiring as a member of the organization in 2006. A five-time Pro Bowl running back, he is the league’s fourth-leading all-time rusher.

Bart Oates, former New York Giant; Principal and Licensed Broker, Cohn Real Estate

Oates was a member of two New York Giants teams that won Super Bowls, in 1986 and 1990, and spent 11 years in the NFL. A five-time Pro Bowl center, he also won a third championship in 1994.

Jeffrey Stewart, Co-Founder, Partner, and Managing Director, Walnut Hill Media LLC

Walnut Hill Media LLC is a privately held company that makes investments in a variety of media opportunities and develops original content. Stewart is the executive producer of the Emmy-nominated Beyond the Boardroom television series and a documentary film producer.

Paul Tagliabue, Former NFL Commissioner; Senior of Counsel, Covington and Burling LLP

Tagliabue, who led the NFL from 1989-2006, is senior of counsel in the law firm Covington & Burling LLP and has been the chair of Georgetown University’s Board of Directors since July 2009, having joined the Board in 2006.

Kevin Warsh, Distinguished Visiting Fellow, Hoover Institute; Lecturer, Stanford University Graduate School of Business

Warsh served as Special Assistant to the President for Economic Policy and Executive Secretary of the White House National Economic Council under former President George W. Bush. From 2006-11 he was a member of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System.

Christine Todd Whitman, President, The Whitman Strategy Group

Whitman was the first female governor of New Jersey, holding office from 1994-2001, and also served in the cabinet of President George W. Bush as Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency from 2001-03.

The original New Jersey/New York bid was summarized by the tagline “Make Some History” and conceived a Super Bowl experience unlike any other, one that will incorporate an array of stadium- and region-specific benefits, including the facility’s state-of-the-art technological advancements and the vast entertainment and business offerings of the area.

Acknowledging that the bid would be an opportunity to celebrate the great heritage and history of the NFL in the New York and New Jersey region, an NFL committee approved the application to bid despite the traditional requirement that Super Bowl host regions have a minimum temperature of 50 degrees or a climate-controlled indoor stadium.

The Host Committee is chaired by Woody Johnson, Chairman and CEO of the Jets, and Jonathan Tisch, Co-Chairman of the Board, Loews Corporation and Co-Owner of the New York Giants.

About the 2014 Super Bowl

In an unprecedented decision by NFL team owners, the New Jersey/New York region was awarded the 2014 Super Bowl on May 25, 2010.

The New York and New Jersey region will provide visiting fans an unparalleled Super Bowl experience — complete with a multitude of exceptional venues, landmark destinations, and sightseeing and shopping opportunities. The area offers 40 Broadway theaters, 60 Off-Broadway theaters, more than 100 museums and nearly 1,700 public parks, as well as more than 18,000 restaurant choices and 275 world-class hotels with 100,000 hotel rooms, suitable for a wide range of tastes and budgets.

MetLife Stadium is the only stadium to serve as the home to two NFL teams, the New York Jets and New York Giants. As such, it is able to provide equal “homefield advantage” to both competing teams, with two of everything, including locker rooms, training rooms, home team coaches booths, and premium in-game medical treatment facilities, as well as two full-practice training facilities, the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center and the Timex Performance Center.

No practice for DeVito, Ellis

November, 2, 2011

Nov 2

12:55

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

The Jets returned to the practice field Wednesday, greeted by the strains of "Buffalo Soldier" blaring from the loudspeakers. All but three players participated -- DT Mike DeVito (sprained knee), DT Kenrick Ellis (sprained ankle) and CB Isaiah Trufant (pulled hamstring).

DeVito and Ellis did some light individual work with trainers at the start of practice, but they repaired to the weight room when the team broke up into positional drills. This seemingly doesn't bode well for DeVito, but he's expected to play Sunday against the Bills, Rex Ryan said Monday.

Ellis seems iffy and Trufant is unlikely to play. The Jets will need as many healthy DBs as possible because the Bills run a spread offense, with three- and four-wideout packages.

Analysis of Jets struggles vs. run

November, 2, 2011

Nov 2

12:44

PM ET

By Trevor Ebaugh and John Parolin

Under Rex Ryan, the New York Jets defense built a reputation as one of the best teams in defending the run. Last season, the Jets allowed the third-fewest yards per game on the ground (90.9) and the second-fewest rushing first downs (70).

However, this year the Jets have struggled against the run, allowing 126.9 rush yards per game, and will be really tested by a formidable Buffalo Bills’ rushing attack on Sunday. The Bills average 5.1 yards per rush (fourth in NFL), and have nine rushes of at least 20 yards (fifth in NFL).

What’s been the difference for the Jets? They have been stout in stopping rushers from gaining extra yardage, allowing only 1.5 yards after contact per rush, second-fewest in the league. However, actually getting to the ball carrier has been New York’s Achilles’ heel this season.

The Jets’ front seven is in a state of flux, and has allowed 2.7 yards before contact per rush, ranked 22nd in the NFL. Rookie Muhammad Wilkerson replaced veteran Shaun Ellis, while a slew of relatively inexperienced faces have seen significant time like Jamaal Westerman, Ropati Pitoitua and Marcus Dixon.

The Jets defensive lineman have struggled in losing point-of-attack battles with opposing offensive linemen. This has caused linebackers Bart Scott and David Harris to regularly be kept out of opponents’ backfields. They combined for 9.5 tackles for loss in 2010, but have registered only one this season.

The Jets have also been especially susceptible to runs on the right side of their defense, where Westerman, Pitoitua and Bryan Thomas have made the majority of the starts. Four of the five runs of at least 20 yards the Jets have allowed this season have gone to the offense’s left, targeting the right side of the Jets’ rush defense.

For a detailed breakdown of the struggles,

Jets rush defense is not right

November, 2, 2011

Nov 2

11:35

AM ET

By Trevor Ebaugh and John Parolin

nfl_e_ebaugh-poa201jr_576.jpg

ESPN Stats & Information

The Jets have struggled defending the point of attack this season.

Under Rex Ryan, the New York Jets defense built a reputation as one of the best teams in defending the run. Last season, the Jets allowed the third-fewest yards per game on the ground (90.9) and the second-fewest rushing first downs (70).

nyj.gifHowever, this year the Jets have struggled against the run, allowing 126.9 rush yards per game, and will be really tested by a formidable Buffalo Bills’ rushing attack on Sunday. The Bills average 5.1 yards per rush (fourth in NFL), and have nine rushes of at least 20 yards (fifth in NFL).

What’s been the difference for the Jets? They have been stout in stopping rushers from gaining extra yardage, allowing only 1.5 yards after contact per rush, second-fewest in the league. However, actually getting to the ball carrier has been New York’s Achilles’ heel this season.

The Jets’ front seven is in a state of flux, and has allowed 2.7 yards before contact per rush, ranked 22nd in the NFL. Rookie Muhammad Wilkerson replaced veteran Shaun Ellis, while a slew of relatively inexperienced faces have seen significant time like Jamaal Westerman, Ropati Pitoitua, and Marcus Dixon.

The Jets defensive lineman have struggled in losing point-of-attack battles with opposing offensive linemen. This has caused linebackers Bart Scott and David Harris to regularly be kept out of opponents’ backfields. They combined for 9.5 tackles for loss in 2010, but have registered only one this season.

The Jets have also been especially susceptible to runs on the right side of their defense, where Westerman, Pitoitua and Bryan Thomas have made the majority of the starts. Four of the five runs of at least 20 yards the Jets have allowed this season have gone to the offense’s left, targeting the right side of the Jets’ rush defense.

nfl_rbdts_576.jpg

ESPN Stats & Information

The Jets have struggled at defending rushes to their right side this season.

Bettor’s Guide: NFL Week 9 Picks, Point Spreads, Over-Unders

November 2, 2011 By Jerod Comments (0) 0digg email.gif Email Post Share

I wish I had better news to report to you about my Week 8 performance, but it appears that my return from the depths was short-lived.

nfl-picks-point-spreads-odds-free-picks-ats-over-unders.jpgWeek 9 marked the third time out of the last four weeks that I have turned in a sub-.500 weekly record. I went 4-9, which dropped my overall record to 55-56-5 for the season. I have never been even close to the .500 mark this late in the season…ever, I don’t think.

I’m not kicking myself too badly because so many games were just odd (what the hell was that New Orleans?), but 4-9 is 4-9, and anything below .500 is unacceptable. It looks like I need to go back to my Week 7 strategy of limited myself to one sentence of analysis per game. Fine. Whatever will help me start to pile up the wins…

A couple of quick things to keep in mind:

• The following teams are on bye this week: Carolina, Detroit, Jacksonville, Minnesota
  • All times are ET.
  • All spread info as of Wednesday. If you want updated point spread info, or some expert advice as you make your weekly picks, here is a helpful link to the place I get my spread info from: DocSports (NFL Week 9 Odds and Lines)

Now here are your Week 9 picks, along with the point spreads and over-under odds for each game.

NFL Week 9 Bettor’s Guide

Picks – Point Spreads – Over-Under Odds -

Free Picks Against the Spread (ATS)

———-

Miami Dolphins at Kansas City Chiefs

• Dolphins-Chiefs Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, November 6th at 1:00 ET on CBS
  • Dolphins-Chiefs Spread: Chiefs -4
  • Dolphins-Chiefs Over-Under Odds: 40
  • Dolphins-Chiefs Spread Pick: The Dolphins keep playing teams closely, but they are due for a lifeless clunker at some point, and the surging Chiefs may be just the team to benefit from it. Dolphins-Chiefs free spread pick: Chiefs -4

Cleveland Browns at Houston Texans

• Browns-Texans Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, November 6th at 1:00 ET on CBS
  • Browns-Texans Point Spread: Texans -11
  • Browns-Texans Over-Under Odds: 41
  • Browns-Texans Spread Pick: Laying 11 points with a non-dominant team like the Texans makes me nervous, even with the Browns likely to be without both Montario Hardesty and Peyton Hillis, and with Houston to possibly get Andre Johnson back; so I won’t. Browns-Texans free spread pick: Browns +11

Seattle Seahawks at Dallas Cowboys

• Seahawks-Cowboys Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, November 6th at 1:00 ET on FOX
  • Seahawks-Cowboys Point Spread: Cowboys -12
  • Seahawks-Cowboys Over-Under Odds: 44
  • Seahawks-Cowboys Spread Pick: Laying 12 points with a non-dominant team like the Cowboys makes me nervous, even with the Seahawks still employing Charvaris Jackhurst at QB and the Cowboys likely out for blood after their embarrassing performance last Sunday; but I will anyway (because I think that latter point is important…and the Seahawks suck). Seahawks-Cowboys free spread pick: Cowboys -12

Tampa Bay Buccaneers at New Orleans Saints

• Buccaneers-Saints Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, November 6th at 1:00 ET on FOX
  • Buccaneers-Saints Point Spread: Saints -9
  • Buccaneers-Saints Over-Under Odds: 50
  • Buccaneers-Saints Spread Pick: I feel like I don’t even know who the Saints are anymore, and don’t forget that Tampa Bay beat them down in Tampa just a few weeks ago. Bucs-Saints free spread pick: Buccaneers +9

New York Jets at Buffalo Bills

• Jets-Bills Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, November 6th at 1:00 ET on FOX
  • Jets-Bills Point Spread: Bills -1.5
  • Jets-Bills Over-Under Odds: 44
  • Jets-Bills Spread Pick: I know at least one guy who definitely likes the Jets in this game, and I find it hard to disagree with him as I am not yet sold on the Bills as an elite team and the Jets seem to be rounding into their usually strong late-season form. Jets-Bills free spread pick: Jets +1.5

Atlanta Falcons at Indianapolis Colts

• Falcons-Colts Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, November 6th at 1:00 ET on CBS
  • Falcons-Colts Point Spread: Falcons -7
  • Falcons-Colts Over-Under Odds: 44
  • Falcons-Colts Spread Pick: The Falcons are coming off of their bye and get Julio Jones back on an offense that rediscovered how effective a balanced attack driven by the running game can be; the Colts, meanwhile, just continue to suck for Luck. Falcons-Colts free spread pick: Falcons -7

San Francisco 49ers at Washington Redskins

• 49ers-Redskins Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, November 6th at 1:00 ET on FOX
  • 49ers-Redskins Point Spread: 49ers -3.5
  • 49ers-Redskins Over-Under Odds: 38
  • 49ers-Redskins Spread Pick: I definitely think the 49ers are the better team, by a wide margin, and I think they’ll find a way to win this one; but strange things can happen when west coast teams travel to the east coast and play in the early game, especially when the west coast team in question is four games up in its division. 49ers-Redskins free spread pick: Redskins +3.5

Cincinnati Bengals at Tennessee Titans

• Bengals-Titans Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, November 6th at 4:05 ET on CBS
  • Bengals-Titans Point Spread: Titans -3
  • Bengals-Titans Over-Under Odds: 42
  • Bengals-Titans Spread Pick: The Bengals haven’t really beaten anyone of note other than the Bills, whereas the Titans have that nice trouncing of the Ravens on their resume; regardless, I like Tennessee not because of the two teams schedules but because either Chris Johnson is going to step up after his manhood was questioned or Tennessee will stop wasting carries on him, and either way it’s a positive. Bengals-Titans free spread pick: Titans -3

Denver Broncos at Oakland Raiders

• Broncos-Raiders Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, November 6th at 4:05 ET on CBS
  • Broncos-Raiders Point Spread: Raiders -9
  • Broncos-Raiders Over-Under Odds: 42.5
  • Broncos-Raiders Spread Pick: The Raiders would be the easy pick here because of how bad Tim Tebow has been, but I don’t think he’ll be quite as much of a disaster this week as he was the previous two weeks; and am I really supposed to trust Carson Palmer with a 9-point spread without seeing him to anything positive in game action? Broncos-Raiders free spread pick: Broncos +9

New York Giants at New England Patriots

• Giants-Patriots Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, November 6th at 4:15 ET on FOX
  • Giants-Patriots Point Spread: Patriots -9
  • Giants-Patriots Over-Under Odds: 50.5
  • Giants-Patriots Spread Pick: I don’t understand why the Patriots and their scuffling defense are nine point favorites over a pretty good Giants team; that was an easy decision. Giants-Patriots free spread pick: Giants +9

Green Bay Packers at San Diego Chargers

• Packers-Chargers Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, November 6th at 4:15 ET on FOX
  • Packers-Chargers Point Spread: Packers -5.5
  • Packers-Chargers Over-Under Odds: 50.5
  • Packers-Chargers Spread Pick: The Packers are clearly the better team here, and probably will win, but a number of things are going in the Chargers’ favor for this week, including the motivation that Philip Rivers and the rest of the Bolts will surely have after their Monday night “worst day ever” debacle.

St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals

• Rams-Cardinals Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, November 6th at 4:15 ET on FOX
  • Rams-Cardinals Point Spread: Not posted as of Wednesday
  • Rams-Cardinals Over-Under Odds: Not posted as of Wednesday
  • Rams-Cardinals Spread Pick: Frankly, I don’t even want to pick this nasty game regardless of who starts at QB for either team; that said, I’ll probably just go with the Rams and whatever points they are given or laying as I think they’ll win.

Baltimore Ravens at Pittsburgh Steelers

• Ravens-Steelers Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, November 6th at 8:20 ET on NBC
  • Ravens-Steelers Point Spread: Steelers -3
  • Ravens-Steelers Over-Under Odds: 42
  • Ravens-Steelers Spread Pick: This is going to be a fun game, and I think the Steelers are getting hot at just the right time to exact revenge on the Ravens for that Week 1 debacle. Ravens-Steelers free spread pick: Steelers -3

Chicago Bears at Philadelphia Eagles

• Bears-Eagles Date, Time, and TV: Sunday, November 6th at 8:30 ET on ESPN
  • Bears-Eagles Point Spread: Eagles -9
  • Bears-Eagles Over-Under Odds: 47
  • Bears-Eagles Spread Pick: I have a feeling the Eagles are about to get red hot, and I don’t trust the Bears’ secondary to stop Vick and his trio of DJax, JMac, and Jason Avant, or the Eagles pass rush once the offense gets them out to an early lead; oh, and then there is that LeSean McCoy guy… Bears-Eagles free spread pick: Eagles -9

DeVito, Ellis miss Jets practice again

| More Print

2:03 PM, November 2, 2011 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

Jets defensive tackles Mike DeVito and Kenrick Ellis did not participate in drills Wednesday during the portion of practice open to the media.

DeVito (knee) missed the Jets' game against the Chargers last week. Ellis (ankle) started in DeVito's place but left the game after the first series with his injury.

Jets coach Rex Ryan said Monday he expects DeVito to play Sunday against the Bills but was not sure about Ellis, the team's third-round pick in this year's draft.

The Jets had their first padded practice since the bye and were doing some hitting. During the season, it's a rarity to see the team actually going full-speed but Mike Westhoff ran a few special teams drills that featured some big hits.

The team ran a 3-on-3 kickoff drill where players had to fight through blocks to get to the return man then wrap him up. There was no tackling. The hit of the day while the media was watching went to Marcus Dixon, who planted Garrett McIntyre.

Bills coach Chan Gailey spoke with Jets reporters this morning. A few highlights:

On former Jets player Brad Smith: "Brad's going to be a very valuable member of this team as time goes on. We didn't get an offseason to implement him and to implement the things that I think he'll be able to do long-term for us. If we would have had that time to get to know him better and see what he can do and can't do I think we would have had a better idea on how to use the tools he has.

But he's been a big asset. He's done a lot of good things that don't come out in statistics sometimes and that's what people go on is statistics. But he's had a huge impact on our team."

On Bills QB Ryan Fitzpatrick: "He worked extremely hard in the offseason. He got the guys together and they were throwing, working out and getting on the same page, and I think that has really paid dividends for us early in the season. They didn't just go out and go through the motions. I think they went out and worked. I think that's the difference."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/devito_ellis_miss_jets_practice_UkG2eohinsxDAK5RdXfpjO#ixzz1ca3UdkXU

AFC East Week 9 X factors

November, 2, 2011

Nov 2

3:10

PM ET

By James Walker

The bye weeks are complete in the AFC East. All four teams will be in action this weekend.

Here are four X factors to keep an eye on:

buf.gifBuffalo Bills (5-2)

X factor: WR David Nelson

Analysis: Jets Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis could be matched up a lot this week with Bills No. 1 receiver Steve Johnson. That means other receivers, like Nelson, have to step up for Buffalo to be successful. Neslon could see a lot of Kyle Wilson in the slot. Both are among the most improved players in the AFC East this year. Nelson's battles in the slot will be crucial on third down. Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick often looks over the middle to Nelson and tight end Scott Chandler to move the chains.

nyj.gifNew York Jets (4-3)

X factor: C Nick Mangold

Analysis: The Jets are back to their ground-and-pound ways and at the center of it is Pro Bowl center Nick Mangold. It's no secret New York will try to control the line of scrimmage against the inconsistent Buffalo defense. But the Bills are coming off their best game of the season -- a 23-0 shutout against the Washington Redskins. Mangold has a tough assignment against Buffalo No. 3 overall pick Marcell Dareus, who recorded 2.5 sacks last week.

nwe.gifNew England Patriots (5-2)

X factor: CB Devin McCourty

Analysis: It's time to McCourty to step up. New England's No. 1 corner hasn't made any significant plays this year. He has zero interceptions and only three pass defenses. McCourty is suffering from a major sophomore slump. He recorded eight interceptions as a rookie in 2010. The New York Giants had a solid passing game but No. 1 receiver Hakeem Nicks is ailing with a hamstring injury. McCourty has to win his matchup with Giants receivers for New England's pass defense to be successful.

mia.gifMiami Dolphins (0-7)

X factor: RB Reggie Bush

Analysis: Bush produced his first 100-yard rushing game of the season against the Giants. He rushed for 103 yards on 15 carries. It helped Miami control the game for three quarters. The Dolphins will need control the clock with their running game again to have a chance to beat the Kansas City Chiefs (4-3) at Arrowhead Stadium. The Chiefs have the NFL's 22nd-ranked run defense. Miami, despite its many struggles, actually has an underrated running game. The Dolphins are 12th in the league in rushing.

Archived