Why IR?

AFJF

I don't get it. Maybe there's a blatantly obvious reason that I'm not seeing, but why does the NFL force teams to handle their injuries the way they do?

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a "DL" type system? It's crazy that a team has to take a guy who gets hurt early in the season but will be fine come playoff time, and either waste a roster spot for a couple of months, or put him on the shelf for the season, instead of making him inactive until he's well enough to play.

Is it because the way the cap is costructed? I can't see a logical reason for it and whenever that's the case, it usually boils down to money.

Am I missing someting here?

I think that is why they have the inactives, that is basically the disabled list.

The difference with that is that the inactives can contribute in some way during the week. They can get reps and be actively engaged in game planning. A guy who can't walk/run/tackle shouldn't count as a roster spot during the time he's not able to take part in any team activity IMO.

It's to prevent stockpiling. Football and baseball are very different games. Football players are hurt almost constantly, and it would be easy to build a 70 man roster and logroll people onto and off of a "disabled list" on an as needed basis. The IR system allows teams to replace injured players without needing to cut them, but prevents logrolling by making the move to IR permanent for the season. The eight man inactive list gives teams wiggle room to keep injured players on the roster while waiting for them to heal.

Archived