Jets News 11-8

flgreen

AFC East chat preview

November, 8, 2011

Nov 8

3:30

PM ET

By James Walker

Join me at 4 p.m. ET Tuesday for our weekly chat on the AFC East.

The race for first place has tightened up. The Buffalo Bills (5-3), New York Jets (5-3) and New England Patriots (5-3) all share claim to the top spot at the midpoint of the season. The Miami Dolphins (1-7) also won their first game. We can discuss all of it.

Here is the link to join all the festivities.

Mid-season report: Playing time

November, 8, 2011

Nov 8

5:22

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

A few interesting trends developed over the second quarter of the season.

A shift in offensive philosophy -- back to power football -- resulted in increased playing time for FB John Conner and backup TE Matt Mulligan. It also meant less playing time for the No. 3 receiver, Jeremy Kerley, who played about half the time as Derrick Mason (the previous No. 3 WR) did in the first quarter.

Here's our unofficial breakdown in terms of percentage of snaps played (allow small margin of error):

Player --- G's 1-4 --- G's 5-8 --- Total P.T.

RB Greene ........ 54% ... 51% ... 53%

RB Tomlinson .... 50% ... 39% ... 45%

FB Conner ........ 20% ... 40% ... 30%

RB McKnight ..... 4% ..... 10% ... 7%

TE Keller .......... 86% ... 75% ... 80%

TE Mulligan ...... 32% ... 53% ... 42%

TE Cumberland . 19% ... 0% .... 10%

TE Baker ............ 0% ..... 7% ..... 4%

WR Holmes ...... 87% ... 90% ..... 89%

WR Burress ..... 79% ... 75% ..... 77%

WR Mason ...... 61% .... 2% ...... 32%

WR Kerley ...... 7% ..... 31% ..... 19%

WR Turner ..... 10% ..... 7% ...... 8%

Jets’ Bart Scott: ‘In Baltimore we were fighting over strippers’

Rick Chandler

Nov 8, 2011, 2:38 PM EST

bartscott.jpg?w=320

Jets linebacker Bart Scott feels comfortable in New York, if for no other reason than the area’s rich abundance of strippers. He explained this on ESPN New York radio’s Michael Kay Show recently. Behold:

Michael Kay: Do you sense a rivalry between the Jets and Giants?

Bart Scott: “Not at all. Like I said, when I was in Baltimore I could remember with the Redskins you had guys fighting over strippers and all kind of stuff. I don’t sense that here. I think it is a mutual respect. I think the town is big enough for both of us.”

Michael Kay: Bart you gotta help me out. You guys fought for strippers? What does that mean?

Bart Scott: “When you are in a small place like Baltimore and the temperature is relatively cold – hey you compete over the same chicks. That’s a football player’s favorite spot. Especially young football players. It was always a rivalry. Guys fight about, hey that is my girlfriend and that’s my girlfriend, hey. But here? Five million people, maybe more. There is plenty for everybody.”

Jets’ Bart Scott: ‘In Baltimore we were fighting over strippers’

Rick Chandler

Nov 8, 2011, 2:38 PM EST

bartscott.jpg?w=320

Jets linebacker Bart Scott feels comfortable in New York, if for no other reason than the area’s rich abundance of strippers. He explained this on ESPN New York radio’s Michael Kay Show recently. Behold:

Michael Kay: Do you sense a rivalry between the Jets and Giants?

Bart Scott: “Not at all. Like I said, when I was in Baltimore I could remember with the Redskins you had guys fighting over strippers and all kind of stuff. I don’t sense that here. I think it is a mutual respect. I think the town is big enough for both of us.”

Michael Kay: Bart you gotta help me out. You guys fought for strippers? What does that mean?

Bart Scott: “When you are in a small place like Baltimore and the temperature is relatively cold – hey you compete over the same chicks. That’s a football player’s favorite spot. Especially young football players. It was always a rivalry. Guys fight about, hey that is my girlfriend and that’s my girlfriend, hey. But here? Five million people, maybe more. There is plenty for everybody.”

LOL... Scott is out of his f'n mind. That's awesome.

Four Jets Take Away PFW Midseason Honors

Posted by Randy Lange on November 8, 2011 – 5:29 pm

Pro Football Weekly, a publication that I always enjoyed reading when I was a beatwriter covering the Jets from 1994-2006, announced today its Midseason All-Pro Team, and it’s perhaps a pleasant surprise that PFW found room for four Jets on its first team.

Darrelle Revis. was a lead-pipe cinch. Revis, tied for third in the NFL with four interceptions and leading all interceptors with 184 return yards, was the Green & White’s only unanimous selection by the magazine’s editors.

Revis was joined on the defensive team by ILB David Harris and DT Sione Pouha. And Joe McKnight was chosen as PFW’s kickoff returner.

A note on the all-star list: The magazine, with a nod toward the number of teams playing 3-4 alignments this year, selected four linemen, four linebackers and four DBs on its 12-man defense. PFW made cornerback an All-MetLife affair, pairing up Revis with Corey Webster of the Giants.

Harris gets a nice nod at inside linebacker along with the 49ers’ NaVorro Bowman. And Pouha squeezes onto the line at DT alongside the Ravens’ estimable Haloti Ngata.

The story on the Midseason All-Pro Team can be found in the current edition of Pro Football Weekly, now available on newsstands. And additional midseason content, including power rankings, can be found at ProFootballWeekly.com.

As far as I know, none of these guys gets any trophies, cut crystal or contract bonuses for reaching PFW’s halfway-point all-star team. But it’s some nice recognition nevertheless for all.

The three defenders, who were so honored not only for their general play but because of their takeaway plays.

The Green & White’s rankings are slowing improving into their usual top-10 surroundings (eighth in total yards allowed, seventh in passing yards allowed, tied for eighth in points allowed).

But they’re among the league’s top-ranked teams in takeaways. Their 19 takes are tied for second (one behind, coincidentally, Buffalo’s 20 after the Bills lost the takeaway battle to the Jets, 3-2).

Revis’ four interceptions leads the Jets defense, which now has 13 picks after eight games, one more than the Jets had all of last season.

One of those thefts was turned in by Harris on the stretching tipped-ball-to-himself off of Ryan Fitzpatrick late in the first half of Sunday’s win at Buffalo. I asked “the Hitman” after the Bills game if he’s turning into the NFL’s next great LB interceptor.

“I can’t say all that,” he said modestly. “I just saw the ball and tried to make a play on it.”

He did that expertly, and in addition to his tackling skills, he’s become something of a pass thief. He now has five career INTs, all in the last three seasons, and Sunday’s pick goes along with his INT-return TD that just for a second threatened to help the Jets turn their Sunday night affair against the Ravens into a close ballgame, which followed his theft of Tom Brady in last January’s playoff triumph in Foxboro.

Pouha, meanwhile, keeps growing in stature. He applied a crushing hit on Fred Jackson that forced a third-quarter fumble that Jim Leonhard took to the Bills 19. Shortly after, LaDainian Tomlinsonzugo.png vaulted into the end zone and the Jets had their 13-0 lead.

“Fred is the center of their offense. If you can affect their offense, that helps give you an edge,” Pouha said. “He wasn’t the same after that.”

Certainly not on his next four carries, on which he gained 6 yards. Jackson did shake off the effects of the hit to finish with 120 yards from scrimmage, but still, 58 of those yards came after the Jets had taken a 20-3 lead and Big Bo was one of the point men in the Stop Fred movement.

And Pouha’s on a fumble roll the past two seasons with his Sunday force and five other fumble recoveries — four coming in primetime. Just in time for the Patriots at home on Sunday night.

And lest we forget about McKnight, he continues to lead the NFL with his 40.2-yard kickoff return average. Just think: Joe’s average return is almost the equivalent of the Jets being recipients of a kickoff out of bounds every time the opponents kick off.

Sanchez explains The Flinch

November, 8, 2011

Nov 8

6:41

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Mark Sanchez said there was laughing in the Jets' film room Monday when his flinch against Bills CB Drayton Florence appeared on the screen. Sanchez, appearing in his weekly spot Tuesday on "The Michael Kay Show" on 1050 ESPN New York, called it embarrassing.

But there's some back story, he said, noting that Florence jacked up QB Mark Brunell on a similar Wildcat play in the 2010 finale. Brunell, like Sanchez, was split out as a wide receiver, attempting to block.

"He nailed Brunell last year, and we wre killing him in the locker room, making fun of him because he was just standing there and got punked," Sanchez said. "Well, this is even worse because I'm expecting it and I'm talking to him at the line of scrimmage ... I said, 'Drayton, don't do it.' ... He said, 'You know I'm gonna do it.' I'm like, 'Dang it.'

"I'm just staring at ball, waiting, so I can get a good jump and just move out of the way -- and he faked it. And I'm like, 'Dang it, that's gotta to be really embarrassing.'"

Indeed, Sanchez jumped back, just like you'd jump back if someone surprised you and yelled, "Boo!" To make it worse, Sanchez tried to block Florence when Joe McKnight -- the Wildcat -- reversed his field and ran to Sanchez's side.

And Sanchez was busted for a holding penalty.

A look back at the Jets' 27-11 division win against Buffalo

Published: Tuesday, November 08, 2011, 7:00 PM Updated: Tuesday, November 08, 2011, 7:08 PM

3492.png By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

10234414-large.jpgTom Szczerbowski/Getty ImagesWR Plaxico Burress had season-highs against the Bills for catches (5) and receiving yards (79).

Before Sunday’s 27-11 win against the Bills, RB LaDainian Tomlinson fired up his teammates in the huddle with a plea to out-physical their division opponent. “They play that pretty ball, we play physical,” Tomlinson said.

That was, in fact, the Jets’ key to victory Sunday and the No. 1 reason Bills coach Chan Gailey cited for losing the game. This kind of performance was especially satisfying for the Jets coming out of their bye week.

The victory helped put the Jets in a three-way tie for first place in the AFC East and set up an even bigger divisional clash Sunday night with the Patriots, the winner between the 5-3 teams to be in the drivers’ seat for the division. But first, let’s take a quick look back at 10 things from Sunday’s game that warrant a second look:

1. Plaxico Burress

When Burress woke up Sunday morning, he thought he might be inactive based on how his lower back felt. Coach Rex Ryan figured Burress may be limited to red-zone duties. But the receiver wound up playing 43 of 68 offensive plays unofficially (for comparison, Santonio Holmes was in for 59 plays). He posted his season-best 79 receiving yards on 5 catches, all of which were among the Jets’ 10 longest plays. On a 14-yard catch, he made a nice move at the line, faking outside to juke CB Drayton Florence and create separation. He also used his 6-foot-5 frame all day, stretching high for catches over the middle and plowing Leodis McKelvin and Jairus Byrd for a few yards to the 1-yard line on a 19-yard catch (though he may have gotten away with a shove off the cornerback before making that catch).

2. Power football

Keeping with the Jets’ physical theme, the Jets utilized power football against a team Ryan has a history of running all over. The biggest indicator: FB John Conner played 44 of 68 snaps, unofficially, by far his highest tally of the season. The Jets also used two tight end formations on about one-third of their plays and brought in Vlad Ducasse as an extra blocker for four plays.

3. Sub defense

How often were the Jets in a sub defense? Well, nickel CB Kyle Wilson played 47 of 53 defensive snaps, by an unofficial count. The Jets needed extra DBs on the field to defend Buffalo’s spread offense but still did a good job preventing RB Fred Jackson from doing much damage. Their cornerbacks played very physical, like on Darrelle Revis’ break-up of a pass to Jackson in the fourth quarter, part of a key red-zone stand that helped seal the Jets’ win. Tight man coverage in the secondary suffocated the Bills’ screen game (Buffalo attempted just one screen pass all game) and took away QB Ryan Fitzpatrick’s options, holding him to a season-low completion percentage of 48.4.

4. Neutralizing the Bills defensive front

Two weeks ago, the Bills sacked the Redskins 10 times. Against the Jets, they recorded just one sack, on the first drive. RT Wayne Hunter appeared to be off on the snap count, and DE Alex Carrington quickly got past him to sack QB Mark Sanchez for a loss of 8 yards. RG Brandon Moore wound up seeing a lot of first-round pick Marcell Dareus and “got him pretty good,” Ryan said. Dareus’ only splash was recovering Sanchez’s mishandled snap.

5. Mark Sanchez’s “flinch”

In one play, Sanchez put on film a holding call and an embarrassing flinch. These things are funny in victory. On a Wildcat snap late in the fourth quarter, Sanchez was split out wide against Florence -- who last year had upended back-up QB Mark Brunell. Florence faked a lunge at Sanchez, who flinched. Then, Sanchez went after Florence and wound up pulling his jersey to draw the holding flag. The penalty negated an 18-yard gain on the play.

6. McKnight in the Wildcat

Speaking of the Wildcat, the Jets used RB Joe McKnight as the quarterback instead of Jeremy Kerley, who had run the Wildcat during a preseason game. The Jets identified three players in training camp who could take the direct snaps -- Kerley, McKnight and Tomlinson -- and Ryan said they wanted to mix it up and give different looks. Last year’s Wildcat quarterback, Brad Smith, took no Wildcat snaps for the Bills in Sunday’s game.

7. Dustin Keller

One play demonstrated how the tight end can pick up his big gains in this offense: In the first quarter, Keller sprinted across the field on a route, while the cornerback and safety on that side both followed Burress. MLB Kelvin Sheppard couldn’t keep pace with Keller, and he hauled in a 24-yard catch, the Jets’ longest play of the day. That’s also why the Jets can’t afford Keller to try to high jump over defenders, as he tried to do to CB Terrence McGee early in the second quarter. Keller learned his lesson, and admitted that if he knew McGee would try to go high, he never would have jumped. The Jets leaned on back-ups Matt Mulligan and Josh Baker when Keller missed the rest of the second quarter to be tested for a concussion (he passed tests and returned). When the Jets went to hurry-up/shotgun mode at the end of the first half, Baker was used over Mulligan in the 11 personnel grouping.

8. Matt Mulligan’s penalties

Mulligan had a pair of penalties that stalled the Jets’ second drive of the game: A 5-yard false start, and a 10-yard holding call three plays later that wiped out RB Shonn Greene’s longest run of the season (41 yards). Mulligan sat out the next play in punishment and got an earful from Moore and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who grabbed his jersey. So far this season, Mulligan has five penalties for 33 yards (three false starts and two holding calls). Ryan said earlier this season he had spoken with Mulligan about tightening his focus but added that his penalties were a product of him wanting to do well.

9. Defensive line rotation

With Mike DeVito and Kenrick Ellis out, the Jets leaned on four defensive linemen for much of the game: Sione Pouha, Muhammad Wilkerson, Marcus Dixon and Ropati Pitoitua. Martin Tevaseu, mistakenly listed as not having played in the game book, came in for just a few plays in the second half after Pouha got banged up (Pouha returned).

10. Turnover ratio

The Bills led the league in takeaways entering the game, with 18. And they did take the ball away from the Jets twice, on Sanchez’s end-zone interception and fumbled snap. But the Jets won the turnover battle. They picked off Fitzpatrick twice (Calvin Pace and David Harris). And Pouha hit Jackson hard to force his first fumble of the season, recovered by safety Jim Leonhard to set up the Jets’ first touchdown of the game.

Archived