Jets News 11-22

flgreen

Fred Jackson's status uncertain vs. Jets

November, 21, 2011

Nov 21

7:27

PM ET

By James Walker

buf.gifThere is good news and bad news when it comes to Buffalo Bills star running back Fred Jackson.

The good news is Jackson's calf injury is not significant or season ending. The bad news is Jackson probably will miss practice time this week and his status remains up in the air for Sunday's huge game against the New York Jets.

Buffalo (5-5) and New York (5-5) meet at Met Life Stadium next weekend in a playoff eliminator. The loser will essentially be out of the wild-card race.

The Bills need Jackson healthy and productive. He is the team’s MVP this season and Buffalo's leading rusher and second-leading receiver. Without Jackson, the Bills will have to drastically adjust their game plan.

If Jackson cannot return this week, Buffalo's 2010 first-round pick C.J. Spiller will start against the Jets.

Rex Ryan: I don’t want to give the NFL a black eye

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 21, 2011, 7:24 PM EST

r-ryanfrown.jpg?w=205 AP

Jets coach Rex Ryan said today that he’s sorry for telling a Patriots fan to “shut the f–k up” and won’t appeal the $75,000 fine NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell handed down.

“I know the Commissioner has a tough enough job,” Ryan said, in comments distributed by the Jets.

“I’m an NFL lifer and I know I represent the NFL and I represent the Jets, so I’m accountable for my actions. So I will not appeal it.”

Ryan said it doesn’t matter whether he agrees with Goodell’s decision or not. He just knows the decision was made and he’s going to have to live with it.

“His decision is that I should be fined $75,000,” Ryan said. “That’s the way it is. I just want to get it behind me. Obviously, it was a mistake that I made and I’m responsible for my actions. I haven’t denied that one bit or slouched on that responsibility. I understand it, and I know to coach in the National Football League is an honor. I don’t want to be the guy to put a black eye on this or whatever. I just want to get it behind me and move forward.”

Ryan said he talked to Goodell, apologized, and admitted he made a mistake. From now on, I presume Ryan will save his F bombs for his players, and not for opposing fans.

Eric Smith in "lose-lose situation" on blitz

November, 21, 2011

Nov 21

8:10

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Four days later, the Jets' ill-fated blitz remained a hot topic.

S Eric Smith, who failed to contain Tim Tebow on his game-winning, 20-yard TD run, spent the weekend replaying the play in mind. Over and over.

"Oh, it hurt, it hurt a lot," Smith said. "Something like that, I trip him up and we get another shot. If I trip him up, then maybe they don't score. They kick a field goal and we go to overtime."

Smith had a tough assignment. He was one of eight rushers on the play, a third-and-4, but he also was responsible for the tight end in pass coverage.

"When you get put in a situation like that, it's a lose-lose situation," Smith said. "You have to cover the tight end, blitz and keep contain, all on one play. It's a losing situation ... It's not a good situation."

We all saw what happened. Tebow beat Smith around the corner and raced for the end zone. Smith tried to chase him down, nearly tripped him up from behind at the 5, but it was no use.

Smith is getting hammered by fans and media.

"They don't actually know what anybody's responsibility is on the field," Smith said. "I'm the closest one to it, so it's my fault. So I expected all (the criticism) to happen."

Rex Ryan has absolved Smith for messing up the play, saying it was a tough assignment for the veteran safety. Ryan also defended Smith's play this season.

"Is he perfect? No, he's not perfect, but I know one thing: He's going to give you everything he has," Ryan said. "He's got heart. I can't say enough good things about Eric Smith."

The day after the game, Ryan said, with the benefit of hindsight, he wouldn't have called an all-out pressure. By Monday, he sounded like he was convinced it was the right call. He confirmed that he changed personnel moments before the play -- the game was stopped briefly when a fan ran on the field -- but he didn't change the play. It was a blitz, all along, he said.

Where's Plax? Handing out turkeys

November, 21, 2011

Nov 21

7:26

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

The Jets returned to work Monday to begin preparation for Sunday's critical game against the Bills, but Plaxico Burress was nowhere to be found.

He was down in Virginia Beach, Va., his hometown, doing community service.

Let's explain.

Burress received two personal days from the Jets, according to Rex Ryan, who said he agreed "a while ago" to grant Burress the excused absence. That was before Ryan changed the Thanksgiving-week practice schedule.

The usual day off for players is Tuesday, but Ryan changed it recently because he wanted to give them a day off on Thanksgiving. As a result, they're practicing Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday this week.

It certainly raises questions, with Burress missing two of four practices before a virtual must-win game, but Ryan wanted to keep his word to Burress, according to a team spokesman.

Ryan, in his news conference, didn't provide any details, saying, "He's got a personal day today and tomorrow. I'll just leave it at that."

ESPN's Josina Anderson tweeted late Monday that she told by Burress' wife that Plaxico is taking care of "philanthropic business" in the Virginia Beach area. He was planning to visit his old high school, meet with kids and distribute Thanksgiving turkeys to low-income families, she tweeted.

A team spokesman confirmed that Burress is in Virginia, doing community work.

It's unclear if Burress' charity work is connected to his probation. Burress was released in June after serving two years in prison for illegal weapons possession.

Ryan evidently feels that Burress is such an experienced player that two missed practices isn't going to hurt him or the team, but some might argue that Burress could use the time with QB Mark Sanchez. Burress leads the team with six touchdown catches, but he has only 30 catches in 68 targets -- the worst ratio on the team.

NY Jets' Shonn Greene tries to recover from rib injury suffered against Denver Broncos

NY Jets Shonn Greene looks for fit for Buffalo Bills

BY Kevin Armstrong

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Monday, November 21 2011, 11:11 PM

image.jpg

Doug Pensinger/Getty Images

Shonn Greene is injured against the Broncos, but hopes to practice on Tuesday.

Jets tailback Shonn Greene did not practice Monday afternoon as he continued to recover from the rib injury that knocked him out of last Thursday’s loss to the Denver Broncos. He remained optimistic he would return to practice on Tuesday.

“I feel good,” Greene said. “I’ll have some extra padding. I’m not worried about it.”

Greene, the team’s leading rusher, had X-rays taken during the game in Denver, and said the results showed no structural damage. He insisted he would have been able to return to the game, but he was never reinserted by Rex Ryan as the Jets struggled to move the ball and finished the game with 83 rushing yards.

Ryan he expects Greene to play Sunday against the Buffalo Bills, but injuries have mounted in the backfield. Tailback LaDainian Tomlinson, mainly used as the third-down tailback, missed Thursday night’s game with a sprained MCL. Tomlinson was relegated to agility drills during practice on Monday but said he would play against the Bills.

PLAXICO GETS A PASS

Wideout Plaxico Burress was excused from practice Monday and Tuesday for personal reasons, according to Ryan.

Burress, who was released from prison in June, was in his hometown of Virginia Beach delivering turkeys to low-income families and visiting with local children for the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday, according to an ESPN report.

The personal days were scheduled far in advance, Ryan said.

Burress led all receivers with four catches for 64 yards against Denver, but Mark Sanchez failed to connect with his tallest target on five other attempts.

POOL TABLED

Safety Brodney Pool (knee) said he hoped to return to practice Tuesday; WR Jeremy Kerley, who strained an MCL in the loss to the New England Patriots two weeks ago, planned on being active in practice on Wednesday.

Kerley did not play against the Broncos.

Left guard Matt Slauson, who scored a crucial touchdown in the loss to Denver when he dove on a fumble by running back Bilal Powell in the end zone, also missed practice due to a knee injury. After the game on Thursday, he walked with a noticeable limp in the postgame locker room

“I expect everybody to play,” Ryan said of those missing practice time.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-shonn-greene-recover-rib-injury-suffered-denver-broncos-article-1.981053#ixzz1eRQ2bZLa

Patriots putting AFC East on ice

November, 22, 2011

Nov 22

12:05

AM ET

By James Walker

nwe.gifThe AFC East is virtually in the bag for the New England Patriots. New England improved to 7-3 with an easy, 34-3, victory over the Kansas City Chiefs on "Monday Night Football."

New England now owns a two-game lead over the Buffalo Bills (5-5) and essentially a three-game lead over the New York Jets (5-5) after sweeping "Gang Green" this season. There's nothing to suggest the Bills or Jets, who are both struggling, can make up that deficit this late in the season.

The only question remaining for the Patriots is can they secure home-field advantage? New England is tied with the Baltimore Ravens (7-3), Pittsburgh Steelers (7-3) and Houston Texans (7-3) for the best record in the AFC. New England also has the easiest remaining schedule. The Patriots' final six opponents do not have winning records.

Texans starting quarterback Matt Schaub (foot) is lost for the season. Houston will likely be out of the running for the No. 1 seed.

New England's biggest competition is Pittsburgh and Baltimore. But the Ravens play the 9-1 San Francisco 49ers on Thanksgiving, in addition to a road game against the Cincinnati Bengals (6-4). The Steelers also play the Bengals and 49ers.

Pittsburgh holds the head-to-head tiebreaker over New England and would get the top seed if the Steelers win the AFC North and have a similar record. But, barring injury, the Patriots appears to be a lock for at least the No. 2 seed and a first-round bye in the AFC.

NY Jets look ahead with slim margin for error in crowded AFC playoff race

With six games left, 'it's now or never'

BY Manish Mehta

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Originally Published: Tuesday, November 22 2011, 12:40 AM

Updated: Tuesday, November 22 2011, 12:40 AM

image.jpg

Garrett Ellwood/Getty Images

The Jets may be having bad dreams of Tim Tebow's winning touchdown run, but they have no time to dwell on it with as they fight for playoff lives.

Less than a week after the Jets fell victim to the magic of Tim Tebow, Rex Ryan’s team is fighting for its playoff life amid a murky AFC wild card landscape. Gang Green is among five teams within a game of each other for the final playoff spot with six weeks left in the regular season.

“Everyone kind of feels it’s now or never,” safety Jim Leonhard said Monday. “We have to play well and we have to play well now.”

After losing two games in five days, the Jets (5-5) have a slim margin of error if they hope to avoid their first season without a playoff appearance under Rex Ryan. They are among four teams that trail the Bengals (6-4) for the No. 6 seed. The Broncos (5-5) and Titans (5-5) currently hold tiebreakers over the Jets, who will host the 5-5 Bills on Sunday.

“We were hoping at this point we’d be at the top of the AFC, but we’re not,” Ryan said. “We’re not going to dwell on what’s behind us. We’re going to try to learn from it and move forward . . .

“We’re not going to get our sixth win by keep looking in the rearview mirror.”

It took a few days for the shock of the disaster in Denver to wear off. Although only time will reveal the true impact of the Jets’ 17-13 loss to the Broncos, the defeat clearly did short-term damage.

Eight days ago, the Jets were positioned to gain the upper hand in the AFC East. Now, the division title is essentially lost and a playoff berth remains uncertain.

“In this game, you don’t have time to feel sorry for yourself,” linebacker Bart Scott said. “You have to move on, and you have to get ready to play. We dealt ourselves a bad hand, but we’re still in the game. . . . This is a good opportunity for us to get on the right track and try to go on a roll, because we have to.”

The Jets would be a virtual lock to make the playoffs if they run the table and finish 11-5. However, a 5-1 record over the next month and a half wouldn't necessarily guarantee anything for a team that doesn’t have the head-to-head tiebreaker over playoff contenders Ravens, Raiders or Broncos.

(The Ravens and Raiders are currently leading their respective divisions.)

It’s not the first time this season that the Jets have appeared on life support. They absorbed plenty of verbal shots during a three-game losing streak that began in late September.

“I don’t think we can afford to have any more losses, but we’ve got to win the next game and go step-by-step,” right guard Brandon Moore said. “I know that sounds boring, but that’s how you have to approach it or it won’t happen.

“It can be done. The season's not over. . . . You’ve got to catch some breaks, but things can still look up.”

“You don’t know how it's going to play out,” Moore added. “We were dead in the water when we lost those three games. . . . You could have said the season was over then. I don’t think you can map out on a Ouija board what’s going to happen.”

Ryan can also lean on recent history . In 2009, the Jets overcame a 4-6 record by winning five of their final six games and crashed the postseason.

“We have the kind of team that can get hot,” said Ryan, who pointed out inconsistencies in all three phases of the game in recent weeks. “We absolutely can make a run.”

The Jets face only one team (Giants) down the stretch that currently has a winning record.

“Everything we do is set up to get our team to be at their best at the end of the season. Here we are,” Ryan said. “We better get it done. And we better get it done in a hurry.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-slim-margin-error-crowded-afc-playoff-race-article-1.981082#ixzz1eRSwdjuD

NY Giants and NY Jets suddenly find themselves in a fight for playoff lives after brutal nine-day stretch

Talk of Subway Super Bowl are silenced

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Originally Published: Monday, November 21 2011, 11:53 PM

Updated: Tuesday, November 22 2011, 2:42 AM

image.jpg

Ron Antonelli/New York Daily News

It's been a rough football week for New York and its two quarterbacks, the Jets' Mark Sanchez and the Giants' Eli Manning (below).

image.jpg

Ron Antonelli/New York Daily News

Sixteen days ago, after the Giants beat the Patriots and the Jets beat the Bills, talk of a Subway Super Bowl was beginning to rise above a whisper, even though they have never even made it to a conference title game in the same year.

The whisper now has turned into eerie silence as the Giants and Jets are self-destructing.

In the last nine days, they have gone a combined 0-4.

And how’s this for a reality check: If the season ended today - and the Giants and Jets are sure glad it doesn’t - neither team would be in the playoffs.

The Giants would lose the NFC East to the Cowboys on the division record tie-breaker and lose out on the wild-card based on their overall record. The best news for the Giants, the No. 8 team in the overall NFC standings, is they still have their two games against the Cowboys and can take care of their own business.

The Jets have only an outside shot of catching the Patriots in the AFC East and trail in the wild-card standings by one game. Right now, the Jets are the No. 9 team in the AFC composite standings.

The best news for the Jets is their schedule is weak and so are the teams they are fighting for a wild card.

“Of course, you got to be concerned,” Jets linebacker Bart Scott said Monday. “You’re 5-5. Your cards are what they are. You got to play the hell out of the cards. You don’t have the best set of cards that you would want to have, but you still got a winnable hand.”

Rex Ryan’s face and Tom Coughlin’s words revealed how the once-promising New York football season has plunged into survival mode.

After his beloved defense allowed Tim Tebow, who can’t throw the ball, to drive 95 yards on Thursday night in Denver, Ryan walked into his news conference and looked like he was ready to cry. Or had been crying. He is an emotional man and takes losses extremely hard. This one socked him in the gut.

Although Coughlin never raised his voice, which he is quite capable of doing, his words were biting Sunday night after the loss to the Eagles, throwing just about the entire team under the bus. That included Eli Manning, whom he almost never criticizes, for not protecting the ball on Jason Babin’s crucial strip sack that clinched the lossfor the Giants.

The pressure is on the Giants and Jets to grab on tight as their seasons start to slip away. Back in the good old days of two weeks ago, the Giants were 6-2 and in first place by two games over the Cowboys. The Jets were 5-3 and playing the Patriots for first place.

Now the Jets are 5-5 after two losses in five days and have to rely on their history of playing their best when things are at their worst. The Giants are 6-4, fter losses to the 49ers and Eaglestied with the Cowboys and in big trouble.

“Obviously at this point, we have six games left now,” Manning said. “You are aware of where everybody sits and you are aware of what all the records are. We know we have a six-game season right now.”

By the time the Giants play in Dallas on Dec. 11, they could be trailing the Cowboys by two games.

The Cowboys play the Dolphins (3-7) on Thanksgiving and at Arizona (3-7) on Dec. 4. Meanwhile, the Giants play at New Orleans (7-3) on Monday night followed by a home game against the Super Bowl-champion Packers (10-0). Green Bay has won 16 straight, including its playoff run, dating back to their 45-17 victory over the Giants in the 15th game of last season.

So, the Giants’ next two opponents are a combined 17-3 compared to the Cowboys’ 6-14. The best chance for the Giants to make the playoffs is to win the division. If they don’t take the NFC East, they would have to jump over the Bears and Falcons to get the last wild card spot the way the standings are today.

The Jets have to pass the Bengals, Broncos and Titans to get to the No. 6 spot. The Jets have a favorable schedule the next three weeks. They are at home against the slumping Bills, who have been outscored 106-26 in their last three games; at Washington, which has lost six straight; and, the Chiefs at home.

The NFL took a big chance waiting until Christmas Eve to schedule the Jets-Giants game. What happens if both teams are out of the playoffs by then?

The Jets and Giants play only every four years and the game is highly anticipated. But the way the season has gone the last two weeks, it could be strictly for bragging rights.

Tebow beat the blitz and won the game with a 20-yard run. Riley Cooper caught an 8-yard TD pass for the Eagles to beat the Giants three nights later.

Tebow and Cooper were college roommates at Florida.

That’s how it’s going these days for the Giants and Jets.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-giants-ny-jets-suddenly-find-a-fight-playoff-lives-brutal-nine-day-stretch-article-1.981072#ixzz1eRV7OEE0

Sanchez’s development still continuing

70c3817548f18d91b8e6ce8c758e.jpg

AL PEREIRA/GETTY IMAGES

Mark Sanchez.

More about Jets

subSportsBullet.png

KRISTIAN DYER

NEW YORK

Published: November 21, 2011 11:16 p.m.

Last modified: November 21, 2011 11:29 p.m.

While they aren’t commissioning his bust for Canton yet, the hand-wringing over Mark Sanchez’s development isn’t warranted. After all, Sanchez is still just a third-year starter in a league where it notoriously takes five years for a quarterback to settle in.

Former Rutgers head coach Terry Shea, who recently served as the quarterback coach in St. Louis, Miami and Kansas City, says that the fact that Sanchez was rushed into the starting role in 2009 during his rookie season without the benefit of being groomed hurt his development.

“I believe there’s real value in a quarterback learning, working his way through things. That’s something Mark never had the opportunity to do. There is a tremendous learning curve for quarterbacks and I don’t think fans appreciate that,” Shea said. “Aaron Rodgers had that opportunity with Green Bay and he’s now the consummate professional because of that time learning.”

Shea, who has personally trained Matt Stafford, Sam Bradford and Josh Freeman and wrote the book “Eyes Up” on quarterback development, doesn’t see the glass as half empty with regards to Sanchez.

He sees the success of the Jets over the past two years as partially to blame for these high expectations on such a young quarterback. The numbers he’s put up may not make him a hot selection in fantasy leagues, but Sanchez during his first two years was a winning quarterback.

His performances weren’t always pretty, but they were always effective. As a starter, he accumulated a 19-12 mark during that stretch, including the infamous stat of 4-2 in the playoffs and led the Jets to consecutive AFC Championship Games for the first time in franchise history.

Now, with rather plebian stats and a mundane 5-5 record, Sanchez’s limited progression has drawn perhaps greater scrutiny than it should.

“I think that’s what the general fan and football people do is they revert to the carryover, which in this case is his playoff performance last year. But I think you look at it, his defense was giving him the ball in good places and he was able to benefit from that. He was able to develop that rhythm and I think Mark is that kind of a quarterback,” Shea said. “I believe there are quarterbacks thrown out there at the NFL level, some prospects like Bradford, who have early success and have those big wins, then look at this year, things are tougher. It’s tough to judge a quarterback so early. The old adage of it takes five years to tell where a quarterback is might not be exact science, but three years is too early to judge.”

It’s a point worth noting that, despite this year’s split record through 10 games, Sanchez does have a penchant for clutch performances and winning games. He’s orchestrated seven game-winning drives in his career, including twice this year, and his playoff record speaks for itself. When stacked among other NFL quarterbacks, Sanchez’s early success is nearly unrivaled.

New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees held a 21-21 record when he was with San Diego, before turning into one of the most dominant quarterbacks in the NFL. But Sanchez came into a 9-7 team that traded up in the 2009 NFL Draft to select him with the No. 5 overall pick. Unlike most quarterbacks selected that high draft, Sanchez had good pieces surrounding him.

“Going off what I’ve observed from TV, it appears to me he’s a much more productive quarterback when all the parts around him were functioning at a high level,” Shea said. “The complements around him -- the protection, the play-calling -- doesn’t seem to be there [right now]. The rhythm isn’t there and he’s the one who is suffering.”

Follow Jets beat writer Kristian Dyer on Twitter @KristianRDyer.

Jets’ playoff chances helped by other AFC losses

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 9:02 AM, November 22, 2011

Posted: 2:25 AM, November 22, 2011

Maybe the football gods owed the Jets after that brutal loss Thursday night in Denver because over the weekend things started to go right even without them doing anything.

While the Jets rested, the rest of the NFL gave them some help. In a crowded AFC playoff picture, the Bills, Titans and Chargers lost, bringing the Jets’ chances from bleak on Friday morning to much better yesterday morning.

“It seems like every week somebody gets beat and helps us,” safety Jim Leonhard said. “It helps keep us close. We’ve got enough issues that we’ve got to take care of ourselves. We’ve got to get back to winning games and playing our brand of football. You kind of feel like at the end of the day if you do that, it’s either going to take care of itself or not.”

22.1s064.Jets1c--300x300.jpg

N.Y. Post: Charles Wenzelberg

THANK YOU, GUYS! With a crowded AFC playoff picture, Mark Sanchez and the Jets received some help over the weekend when the Bills, Titans and Chargers lost their games, giving Gang Green some hope to continue dreaming of the postseason despite a two-game losing streak.

The Jets sat in ninth place in the AFC before last night’s Patriots-Chiefs game. They are one game behind the Bengals for the final wild-card spot, tied with the Broncos, Titans and Bills. The Jets have some tiebreaker issues, having lost five games in the conference already, but their schedule softens now and they returned to work yesterday confident they can make a run to the playoffs.

“We can, and this league, I think, will show you any time you think something’s a certainty or whatever, it really isn’t,” coach Rex Ryan said. “I don’t know how many wins we have to get or whatever, but certainly, we’re right there lumped in with a bunch of teams, fighting for playoff spots.

Absolutely, we can make a run.”

Ryan said the Jets are built to play their best at the end of the season. Two years ago, the Jets were 4-6 through 10 games and won five of their last six to squeak into the playoffs. Last season, they stumbled in December, losing three games, but still made the playoffs.

After the 17-13 heartbreaker in Denver, the Jets had a few days off before returning to Florham Park yesterday. They watched the film of the Broncos game then tried to put it behind them. They face the Bills on Sunday to begin their six-game homestretch.

“It’s a long season,” guard Brandon Moore said. “We were written off when we had the three-game losing streak. It’s a long season; it has peaks, it has valleys. We’re in a valley right now and I know it sounds simple and cliché, but we’re going to have to get better until the end and win our next game.

It’s as simple as that.

“I think our confidence is fine. ... We just have to be able to do it during the course of the week and prove it on Sundays.”

The Jets have left themselves no room to falter down the stretch.

“It’s now or never,” Leonhard said. “It’s do or die time. We’ve got to play well and do whatever it takes to get back in this playoff picture. It starts today.”

Ryan and several players admitted they paid attention to the games on Sunday that affected their playoff hopes. But all agreed that it won’t matter how much help they get if they don’t correct the mistakes they made during the last two losses.

“We have the kind of team that can get hot and can put it together,” Ryan said. “That’s been the biggest problem that I see, that we’ve been inconsistent in all three phases, and we have yet to really put together a great game where we’ve played consistently in all three areas.”

brian.costello@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/finding_help_J5J96YjNnCnfFAaUVDmAhP#ixzz1eRd0cwfX

Jets' playoff hopes aren't dead, but Rex Ryan's team needs to start winning again

Published: Tuesday, November 22, 2011, 4:00 AM

3492.png By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

10281630-large.jpgDoug Pensinger/Getty ImagesCoach Rex Ryan reminded the 5-5 Jets that they can still make the playoffs. “Keep on fighting," he said Monday. "We are still in it.”

Rex Ryan grinned sheepishly. Had he spent his weekend closely monitoring the other challengers in the AFC wild-card race?

“Absolutely,” the Jets coach said. “And I will for the rest of the time.”

The 5-5 Jets have put themselves in a spot where their playoff fate is uncertain, and not completely in their hands. And their conference is far from decided: With six games left, 13 of the conference’s 16 teams are within two games of a playoff spot.

Having used up all their wiggle room, simply put, the Jets need to start winning again.

“I think everyone kind of feels like it’s now or never,” safety Jim Leonhard said. “We have to play well; we have to play well now.”

Ryan’s message to his team Monday was simple: “Keep on fighting. We are still in it.” Unlike four weeks ago, when he showed his team a four-part path to seize control of the AFC East, he didn’t cite the NFL standings. But many players were doing their own messy postseason math.

The consensus is that a team probably needs 10 wins to qualify for the playoffs, and would be assured a spot with 11 wins. So running the table the final six weeks is the Jets’ best bet.

“I don’t know if we have to think that way, but it’s got to be close,” Leonhard said. “We’ve played ourselves into a situation where it is not in our hands anymore. We’ve just got to get moving.”

All five of the Jets’ losses are against AFC opponents, not good for tiebreakers. Two are in their division (New England Patriots), and the remaining three were against teams (Baltimore Ravens, Oakland Raiders and Denver Broncos) very much in the playoff picture, even worse for tie-breaking purposes.

Linebacker Bart Scott, thinking out loud, said it’s the Jets’ hope that the Ravens and Raiders win their divisions (each currently leads), since the Jets would not have the tiebreaker against either if competing for a wild-card bid. But they would also not have the tiebreaker against Denver, also 5-5.

He hoped the Bengals, 6-4 and in the second wild-card spot right now, would pick up some losses in their division.

jets_logo.jpg

The Jets may get some help, but they can’t count on it. Thursday night’s tough 17-13 loss at Denver backed them into a very tight corner.

“In this game, you don’t have time to feel sorry for yourself,” Scott said. “We dealt ourselves a bad hand, but we’re still in the game. And as long as you’re still in the game you’ve got to perform. This is a good opportunity for us to get on the right track and try to go on a roll, because we have to. We can’t afford to lose any more games.”

The Jets have been on a “rough” swing through the past eight days, Ryan admitted, from yielding control of the division to New England last Sunday to giving up a comeback victory to the Broncos on Thursday. Now, they face an urgent situation.

Under Ryan, the Jets are well familiar with late-season scrambles. In 2009, his team was 4-6 heading into Week 12 and won five of its last six to nab a wild-card spot. Last year, a tough loss at New England dropped the Jets into the wild-card hunt, and to make it they needed a hard-fought win at Pittsburgh and some help from the Redskins the following week.

Both years, they then made a run to the AFC Championship Game.

Ryan claimed he runs his team so that it is at its best at the end of the season, from the lifting regimen to the extra time he gives his players off during the bye week. That theory will be re-tested in the final six weeks this year, beginning Sunday against the Buffalo Bills.

“I just know, in my opinion, we have the kind of team that can get hot and put it together,” Ryan said.

“I just think we’ve got to be consistent. If we’re consistent, and I believe we can be, then we’ll be right there in the end.”

For more Jets coverage, follow Jenny Vrentas on Twitter at twitter.com/Jennyvrentas

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

Eric Smith in "lose-lose situation" on blitz

November, 21, 2011

Nov 21

8:10

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Four days later, the Jets' ill-fated blitz remained a hot topic.

S Eric Smith, who failed to contain Tim Tebow on his game-winning, 20-yard TD run, spent the weekend replaying the play in mind. Over and over.

"Oh, it hurt, it hurt a lot," Smith said. "Something like that, I trip him up and we get another shot. If I trip him up, then maybe they don't score. They kick a field goal and we go to overtime."

Smith had a tough assignment. He was one of eight rushers on the play, a third-and-4, but he also was responsible for the tight end in pass coverage.

"When you get put in a situation like that, it's a lose-lose situation," Smith said. "You have to cover the tight end, blitz and keep contain, all on one play. It's a losing situation ... It's not a good situation."

We all saw what happened. Tebow beat Smith around the corner and raced for the end zone. Smith tried to chase him down, nearly tripped him up from behind at the 5, but it was no use.

Smith is getting hammered by fans and media.

"They don't actually know what anybody's responsibility is on the field," Smith said. "I'm the closest one to it, so it's my fault. So I expected all (the criticism) to happen."

Rex Ryan has absolved Smith for messing up the play, saying it was a tough assignment for the veteran safety. Ryan also defended Smith's play this season.

"Is he perfect? No, he's not perfect, but I know one thing: He's going to give you everything he has," Ryan said. "He's got heart. I can't say enough good things about Eric Smith."

The day after the game, Ryan said, with the benefit of hindsight, he wouldn't have called an all-out pressure. By Monday, he sounded like he was convinced it was the right call. He confirmed that he changed personnel moments before the play -- the game was stopped briefly when a fan ran on the field -- but he didn't change the play. It was a blitz, all along, he said.

all out blitz in that situation was stupid at best, and if lionhard makes that tackle on the goal line, this conversation is pointless....with everything being equal this is not on smith but more on rex and his play selection.

Palladino: Jets Have Much To Fix This Week

November 22, 2011 8:46 AM

Share thisNo comments

mark-sanchez4.jpg?w=300

(credit: Doug Pensinger/Getty Images)

‘From the Pressbox’

By Ernie Palladino

» More Ernie Palladino Columns

Ernie is the author of “Lombardi and Landry.” He’ll be covering football throughout the season.

Gotta hand it to Rex Ryan. He’s ever the optimist.

The Jets coach may be $75,000 lighter in the wallet, thanks to the NFL’s fine for using too colorful a vocabulary while addressing a fan. But ask him about his floundering team’s future, and he’s all rainbows and lollipops.

“We have the kind of team that can get hot and put it together,” he said Monday in prelude to Sunday’s home game against Buffalo.

Well, at least they’ll face Ryan Fitzpatrick, not Tim Tebow. Fitzpatrick probably won’t take off around the edge on a closing-minutes blitz as Tebow did last week. Maybe this week safety Eric Smith will hold that edge just in case.

At least that’s what Ryan hopes.

“I’ll bet on Eric Smith any day of the week,” he said. “I can’t say enough good things about Eric Smith.”

Yeah, except last Thursday. But that’s just a piece of sad history right now. What’s ahead is important, and there are issues that need to be fixed this week if the 5-5 Jets expect to jump back into this wild card race.

He could start with the offense, a unit of which Ryan said, “Sometimes we look like a million dollars, sometimes we look like $75,000, sometimes we look like nothing.”

Through it all, he’s backed Mark Sanchez vociferously, which is what a coach is supposed to do. But he has to do something to make Sanchez look more franchise quarterback than coach killer.

He’s not going to please the Jets fans who are currently calling for offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s head, so we can forget that option. The key to improving Sanchez is for Schottenheimer to change his force-feeding habits and use him less.

With Shonn Greene expected to play Sunday despite bruised ribs that kept him out of practice Monday, and LaDainian Tomlinson expected back after missing last week with a knee injury, the ground game should be set for a solid day against a Bills defensive front that has struggled of late.

Run the ball to keep the pass rush honest — Tony Romo was unmolested Sunday in his 23-of-26 performance in the win against the Bills in Week 10 — and allow Sanchez to throw safer passes.

This trend of five touchdowns scored off Sanchez turnovers — three interception returns and two fumble returns — must end now.

It should be obvious by now that Sanchez can’t be trusted yet with an intricate passing game. And 40 attempts, as he had in Denver, is too much for any quarterback not in deep catch-up mode.

So don’t do that.

It wouldn’t hurt to get that offensive front playing a bit more physical, either. Eighty-three yards rushing isn’t going to win anybody too many games. They’re 26th in the league, averaging 96.6 yards per game. It’s time to get back to Ground and Pound seriously — and permanently — if only to keep the mentally delicate Sanchez from imploding emotionally.

There is much work to be done this week. But at least the Jets are getting some players back.

We’ll see soon enough if the work that goes on this week has any beneficiary effect.

For Gang Green’s sake, it had better.

Caption this: Tebow and Sanchez

November, 22, 2011

Nov 22

9:00

AM ET

By James Walker

ny_g_tebowsanchz_sy_576.jpgGarrett Ellwood/NBAE/Getty ImagesTim Tebow's last-minute touchdown was enough to beat Mark Sanchez and the Jets.

Quarterback Tim Tebow led the Denver Broncos to a 17-13 upset of the New York Jets last week. The Tebow-led Broncos dealt a huge blow to the playoff hopes of New York and quarterback Mark Sanchez.

In our latest version of "Caption this," provide your thoughts on Tebow’s post-game talk with Sanchez. What is Tebow saying? What is Sanchez saying back?

Have fun and keep it clean.

Caption this: Tebow and Sanchez

November, 22, 2011

Nov 22

9:00

AM ET

By James Walker

ny_g_tebowsanchz_sy_576.jpgGarrett Ellwood/NBAE/Getty ImagesTim Tebow's last-minute touchdown was enough to beat Mark Sanchez and the Jets.

Quarterback Tim Tebow led the Denver Broncos to a 17-13 upset of the New York Jets last week. The Tebow-led Broncos dealt a huge blow to the playoff hopes of New York and quarterback Mark Sanchez.

In our latest version of "Caption this," provide your thoughts on Tebow’s post-game talk with Sanchez. What is Tebow saying? What is Sanchez saying back?

Have fun and keep it clean.

Tebow: The Sovereign LORD will wipe away the tears from all faces; he will remove his people’s disgrace from all the earth.

Jets in tough spot for playoff push

Originally published: November 21, 2011 8:07 PM

Updated: November 22, 2011 12:05 AM

By RODERICK BOONE roderick.boone@newsday.com

image.JPG

Photo credit: Getty Images | Quarterback Mark Sanchez of the New York Jets and quarterback Tim Tebow of the Denver Broncos meet at midfield after the Broncos defeated the Jets, 17-13. (Nov. 17, 2011)

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Eric Smith's mind was essentially a DVR over the weekend, replaying Tim Tebow's winning 20-yard touchdown run.

"I was kind of reliving what happened on that play," the Jets safety said Monday, still lamenting losing outside containment on Tebow's scamper with 58 seconds remaining. "It's one of those things. If I had to do it over again, I would say [forget] covering the tight end. I'm just going to run up the field.

"But it's good to get the film [study] over, put it behind us and move on to Buffalo."

After spending three days wallowing in the disappointment of a second difficult defeat in five nights, the Jets got back to work preparing for Sunday's game against the Bills. They're ready to see if they can make a playoff push despite the ominous outlook.

With six games left, the Jets (5-5) are tied with Denver, Tennessee and Buffalo, leaving them a game behind the Bengals (6-4) for the AFC's second wild card. But only four other AFC teams have as many conference losses as the Jets' five, and all four of those teams trail them in the standings.

The Bengals, Bills and Broncos have three AFC losses and the Titans have four.

So the Jets will have a tough road to navigate, especially with the Broncos among the teams they're battling. Denver holds the head-to-head tiebreaker after Thursday night's 17-13 win.

"I think everyone kind of feels that it's now or never," safety Jim Leonhard said. "We have to play well now. We can't continue to play inconsistently and we have to find ways to get wins.''

That's the only way the Jets can make the postseason for the third straight year under Rex Ryan. Unless they get help along the way, going 6-0 against teams with a combined 25-35 record might be their lone legitimate shot. Ryan thinks it can be done.

"We have a kind of team that can get hot," he said. "That's been the biggest problem that I see is we've been inconsistent in all three phases, and we have yet to put together a great game where we've played consistently in all areas. Even our special teams, which is an outstanding unit, we've turned the ball over four times.

"Defensively, you play great for 57 minutes or whatever it was and then give up a drive. Our standards are higher than that. We're better than that. Offensively, it's the same thing. Sometimes we look like a million dollars, sometimes we look like $75,000, sometimes we look like nothing. I just think that if we are consistent, and I believe we can be, that we'll be right there in the end."

Said Bart Scott, "We dealt ourselves a bad hand, but we're still in the game . . . We can't afford to lose any more games."

Not if Ryan still has visions of hoisting the Lombardi Trophy he promised he'd deliver this season.

"We were hoping we'd be at the top of the AFC, but we're not," he said. "We're not going to dwell on what's behind us. We're going to try to learn from it and move forward. We're not going to get our six wins by looking in the rearview mirror. We have to get better and more consistent. And that's what we plan on doing."

Plaxico excused from two practices

Originally published: November 21, 2011 8:01 PM

Updated: November 21, 2011 8:20 PM

By RODERICK BOONE roderick.boone@newsday.com

image.JPG

Photo credit: Getty Images | Plaxico Burress of the New York Jets warms up before their game against the Buffalo Bills. (Nov. 6, 2011)

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Plaxico Burress has been excused from the first two days of practice this week because of personal reasons, Rex Ryan said.

"This was a while ago that we talked [about it]," he said Monday. "He's got a personal day today and tomorrow, and I'll just leave it at that."

ESPN reported that Burress' wife, Tiffany, said he is in the Virginia Beach area and is going to visit his old high school. Burress reportedly also was planning to join forces with a charity called United in Him in his native Virginia, giving out Thanksgiving turkeys to needy families.

The Jets expect Burress, who's been nursing a lower- back injury during the last two weeks, to return to practice Wednesday.

Rex defends Smith

Eric Smith tends to be involved in at least one negative play per game. The latest example came in the Jets' 17-13 loss to the Broncos on Thursday when he got sucked into the teeth of the Denver offensive line and failed to contain Tim Tebow on his winning 20-yard touchdown run with 58 seconds remaining. But Ryan heaped praise on the safety, calling criticism of Smith's roller-coaster season "unfair."

"I'll bet on Eric Smith every day of the week," Ryan said. "Is he perfect? No, he's not perfect. But I know one thing: He's going to give you everything he has. He's got heart. I can't say enough good things about Eric Smith."

Mending Jets

RBs LaDainian Tomlinson (knee) and Shonn Greene (ribs), WR Jeremy Kerley (knee), S Brodney Pool (knee) and RG Matt Slauson (knee) were held out of practice Monday. Ryan believes he'll have all five available against the Bills on Sunday. "Would [they] have played today? I don't know about that," he said. "But I think by Sunday, our guys will be ready." Greene, who was injured on the Jets' second series against Denver and didn't return, said he expects to be fitted with a special shirt to help protect him. Like Slauson, Greene hopes to practice Tuesday.

Goodell Remembers His Jets Roots

Posted by Eric Allen on November 22, 2011 – 9:53 am

Long before he was appointed NFL Commissioner, Roger Goodell served as a public relations intern for the Jets.

“The team was coming off an AFC Championship appearance. It was Joe Walton’s first year and a lot of things happened in that year,” Goodell told me of his 1983 season with the Green & White. “It was interesting for a young guy like me to be able to see that from the inside. As far as my duties —

I did anything, but my main job was to arrange interviews for the players with the media.”

It was our privilege to sit down with Goodell for this special “Four Quarters” interview that was shot inside MetLife Stadium. Much has changed for the Jets and the league since the Commish was a Jets seasonal employee in 1983 and the team played its home games at Shea Stadium in Queens, N.Y.

“It’s spectacular,” Goodell said while looking around MetLife Stadium. “What a great place for fans. It’s a great place to watch a game.”

Walton’s ’83 Jets finished 7-9 and out of the playoffs just one year after Walt Michaels’ ’82 team advanced to the infamous “Mud Bowl” AFC title game in Miami. But Goodell treasured his one-year stint with New York’s AFC representative and the relationships he made.

“Kenny O’Brien and Freeman McNeil and Marty Lyons — these guys, I just had a great relationship with them,” he said. “And I still see them from time to time and they always like to tease me about being their intern and I love that. They’re just great men and so are our players in general. I’m so proud of our players.”

Goodell, on hand at the Met in Week 10 for an NFL Health and Safety Forum for 200 youth football players, has placed an emphasis on the health of his players. As part of the new CBA, the NFL will spend more than $100 million over the next 10 years on concussion research.

“It’s our No. 1 priority and I think the game is safer and more popular than ever. But safety is critical for us,” he said. “The men play a very tough game and we have to make sure we have the right rules in place, we have the right equipment and the right medical attention when injuries do occur.

And I believe we have and I think we’ve made improvements on that. And we’ll continue to see those techniques that we want to take out of the game that will make the game safer but still keep the toughness of football and keep the competitiveness of football.”

The 5-5 Jets have been competitive this season again, but they’ve yet to meet their high standards.

Over the past few seasons, they’ve become a team with a national appeal and international zeal. Could the Jets be at team targeted for an overseas game in the future?

“They’d be great internationally and they’ve expressed some interest in wanting to do that. The great thing about our international series is as it grows in popularity, more and more teams want to participate and they want to be part of that international series,” Goodell said. “We’re going to expand the international series to be more than one game a year in the U.K. We have one game in Canada and we’d love to get back to Mexico.”

Sanchez-Fitz-Moore Watch

November, 22, 2011

Nov 22

11:00

AM ET

By James Walker

nfl_u_tripanel_gb1_576_576.jpgUS PresswireAnother efficient, if not sexy, game has Miami's Matt Moore atop the standings.

The "Sanchez-Fitz-Moore Watch" is getting interesting with a surprise candidate taking an early lead.

Here are our grades for Week 11:

Mark Sanchez, New York Jets

Result: L, 17-13 against Denver

Stats: 24 of 40 for 252 yards, one interception

QBR: 35.5

Analysis: Sanchez is hearing it in New York right now. He is not playing well at a crucial time and took most of the blame following last week’s loss to the Denver Broncos. Sanchez’s accuracy is an issue. He’s missing too many throws and seems to be bothered by pressure. Although it’s a small thing, I also don’t like Sanchez’s body language when things go bad. He has this down disposition that could permeate through the entire offense. That’s not something you want from your franchise quarterback.

Walker's grade: D+

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Buffalo Bills

Result: L, 35-8 against Miami

Stats: 20 of 39, 209 yards, two interceptions

QBR: 9.4

Analysis: Fitzpatrick has gone downhill the past three weeks. But the game wasn’t as disastrous as Fitzpatrick’s stats and QBR suggested. When you look deeper, both of Fitzpatrick’s interceptions were the result of dropped passes by receivers Brad Smith and David Nelson. “Fitz” missed his share of throws but isn’t the blame for the two turnovers against the Dolphins. But perhaps the biggest complaint I have with Fitzpatrick is that he’s failing to carry the team on his shoulders during a rough stretch. Maybe that’s asking too much, but that is what great franchise quarterbacks do.

Walker's grade: D

Matt Moore, Miami Dolphins

Result: W, 35-8 against Buffalo

Stats: 14 of 20, 160 yards, three touchdowns

QBR: 98.2

Analysis: Moore didn’t throw for a lot of yards — but he did exactly what was needed to stage a blowout against Buffalo, because Miami’s defense played lights-out. Moore has been managing games extremely well during Miami’s three-game winning streak. He’s not making mistakes and making plays when needed. It’s not sexy but it’s efficient.

Walker's grade: A

This week's winner: Moore (3 points)

Second place: Sanchez (2 points)

Third place: Fitzpatrick (1 point)

Overall standings: Third quarter

First place: Moore (6 points)

Second place: Sanchez (4 points)

Third place: Fitzpatrick (2 points)

Moore is creating separation in the third quarter. Is he second-best quarterback in the AFC East?

Stay tuned as the "Sanchez-Fitz-Moore Watch" continues next week.

Power Rankings: AFC East

November, 22, 2011

Nov 22

2:00

PM ET

By James Walker

There were a lot of ups and downs in the AFC East in Week 11.

Here is how the recent outcomes impacted our latest NFL Power Rankings:

nwe.gifNew England Patriots (7-3)

Results: W, 34-3 against Chiefs

Power Ranking: No. 6 (up two spots)

Walker’s vote: No. 6 (up two spots)

Analysis: The Patriots did what was expected in manhandling the Kansas City Chiefs. As a result, New England moved up two spots. What I was most impressed with is New England's defense holding a team to just three points. Sure, backup quarterback Tyler Palko played for Kansas City. But the Patriots are going to win a lot of games down the stretch with their easy schedule. It's all about improving their weaknesses before the postseason.

nyj.gifNew York Jets (5-5)

Result: L, 17-13 against Broncos

Power Ranking: No. 15 (down one spot)

Walker’s vote: No. 16 (down four spots)

Analysis: For three quarters, the Jets could stop Tim Tebow. But the Broncos quarterback pulled off another surprising comeback in the fourth quarter with a 95-yard touchdown drive to upset the Jets. New York has talent. But it plays like a middle-of-the-pack team. Some weeks the Jets are dominant, other weeks they struggle. The Jets pretty much have to win out to get into the playoffs. If not, there is a good chance New York will look back at this Denver game with anguish.

buf.gifBuffalo Bills (5-5)

Result: L, 35-8 against Dolphins

Power Ranking: No. 19 (down two spots)

Walker’s vote: No. 21 (down two spots)

Analysis: Buffalo is rated No. 19. But the Bills are playing like the 31st-rated team lately, slightly ahead of the Indianapolis Colts. Buffalo had no explanation for its drubbing against the Dolphins. Buffalo has been embarrassed and outscored 109-26 the past three weeks. I don't think this team can recover from this awful stretch. But Buffalo will try to make a run for the playoffs. It starts Sunday with a must-win game against the Jets.

mia.gifMiami Dolphins (3-7)

Result: W, 35-8 against Bills

Power Ranking: No. 25 (up four spots)

Walker’s vote: No. 23 (up four spots)

Analysis: The Dolphins are the hottest team in the AFC East. They won their third game in a row with a dominating performance against the Buffalo Bills. This is the competitive Miami team I expected all season. The Dolphins are playing efficient and physical on both sides of the football and could spoil a lot of teams' playoff dreams down the stretch. Miami likely ended the Bills' playoff hopes last week.

• rod_normal.JPG

rodboone
    Beat Writer / Columnist

Rex has given Mark Brunell an extra snap with the first team 'O' this week. It's Rex's plan to tick Sanchez off and hope he plays better.
    about 1 hour ago

• headshot_Manish_Mehta_normal.jpg

TheJetsStream
    Beat Writer / Columnist

Rex Ryan on if he'd bench Sanchez: "I'm not going to take him out. He's our QB. But don't write that. Let me think (I'd bench him)" #nyj

Archived