The most important free agent move for the Jets? A backup QB

villain_the_foe

Revis, Harris, DeVito, Wilkerson, Dixon, Ellis, Wilson, Ropati, Pace. DBrick, Mangold, Moore, Greene, Holmes, Keller, Kerley, Slauson.

The offense needs to be revamped, some might be a stretch...but the D is still solid.

Devito - decent

Dixon - who?

Ellis - has he played more than 3 downs?

Ropati - who?

Wilson - 1st round nickle corner who gives up an extremely high completion percentage

Pace - overpaid and underperforms

Greene - can't carry the load, hurt a lot, not an every down back, needs to be upgraded

Keller - average player at best

Slauson - come on.

I think you're overrating a lot of these guys.

Starting RT > Backup QB

Deep threat WR 2 > Backup QB

Pass rushing defensive player > Backup QB

If Sanchez is here he is the QB, Just say you want a new QB, this backup nonsense is that nonsense. The old saying if you have 2 QB's, you really don't have 1.

How many games did we lose because of the backup QB? None. We are actually 1-0, in games started by the backup since Sanchez was drafted.

There is 2 corners the Sanchez corner, or anyone but Sanchez corner, backup QB is needed, but not a priority, and not needed to compete with Sanchez, but to be insurance for whoever the QB is in 2012.

I've said it 100 times if you believe Sanchez needs to be pushed in year 4 by competition, then you believe he is not the guy for the Jets. Year 1 was the year for an actual competition not year 4, no QB considered a franchise QB in the NFL needed to be pushed year 4.

Though I like Sanchez I do feel like he does need to know that this isnt a job that has just been "given" to him. We need to make sure that there's no complacency. Its the job of the person who is performing. Peyton Manning imo is a bad move and an incredible waste of money. What we need is a quality QB and compete with Sanchez.

We need to get Jason Campbell. This is a perfect opportunity to get a quality player who is under appreciated in this league. That is instant quality at the QB position and isnt just a "back up" in that sense. We have the money for manning, but its at the expense of not dealing with other positions, and if we dont win the superbowl then it was a failure. We've committed ourself to Sanchez, but if he doesnt work out this could be an opportunity for Jason Campbell, playing for a franchise that dont switch offenses every 15 minutes. We need to get this guy.

Jason Campbell will get paid to start for a team that is looking to finish 8-8. I see no reason to bring him here unless we want to do the same...rather have Dennis Dixon or Josh Johnson that are considered young. inexperienced with an upside...yes they both add a wrinkle as a possible Wildcat triggerman.

The team has no starting RT and has not 1 starting safety. If such a team's top priority is a #2 QB the the top priority is really a #1 QB.

We need at least one safety that rest remains average at best but doubt we sign one in free agency and another top draft choice...I could support one or the other but doubt Tanny can pull both.

They can draft a RT and Safety. This is why I said the most important free agent move and not the teams "top priority". You're becoming such the pessimist, especially when I comment about Sanchez or anything related to that position....even when its something that I technically didnt say.

We cannot expect both to start...the problem is both the free agents and draft prospects for the RT are weak unless we see some additional cuts which would be too late IMO.

Put the season in the hands of a rookie RT? OK

Why not just start Vlad? he was a hight pick RT

I have zero confidence in Vlad and doubt Rex and boys do as well...total disaster if we have Vlad and Hunter battling it out for starting job in preseason and hoping that our swingman Turner comes back to demand the job is expecting a little much.

I'm on your side on this one. If we really look at our drafting, it's been a nightmare. We've gotten guys like Revis and Mangold and Brick, but honestly, when you draft the highest rated prospect at a position, it should work out. You don't look like a genius for taking the best C in the draft when you need a center and that center ends up being good. You're a genius when you find a great center in the 5th round.

We haven't had an impact player since 2007. Enuff said...

Because, the real genius of bellichick is having a pulse on what wins in this league. It's a passing league now, and bellichick built a team that creates match-up nightmares on every level.

Why I want to combat what he's done with the TE offense and find players who can cover TE and rush the passer with only four...other than that we're just chasing our tail.

Revis, Harris, Mangold, Brick. The rest are guys you just threw in to fill out a list.

It used to include Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Alan Faneca, Damien Woody, Shaun Ellis, Kris Jenkins, and Kerry Rhodes. The only one who has a replacement, and can make a argument he will be part of the core is Wilkerson for Ellis, the rest have been woefully replaced. It's no surprise every player listed here was a huge part of the 2009 team, best roster, and team they had in the last decade, besides the QB, that's where the Jets dropped the ball, they would have won the SB that year if they had a solid QB for Sanchez to sit and learn from.

Archived