Smith vs. Sanchez: Show Alex more money?

Jetscode1

Just another comparison pice. Enjoy it.

I’m relatively sure Tom Condon, Alex Smith’s agent, doesn’t need my assistance.

Just in case, though, I went ahead and crunched a few numbers as the dollar bills fell after Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez received a three-year, $40.5 million contract extension Friday night.

If Sanchez is worth, on average, $13.5 million annually, it’s not hard to make a case that Smith should command more. (And Drew Brees should command … Europe?)

By the way, Tom, be prepared. The 49ers will probably have a ready response if you invoke Sanchez’s extension in negotiations: “The Jets aren’t smart. We are.”

I don’t have a good comeback for that, but here are those numbers I mentioned (Note: Naturally, I dutifully ignored any pro-Sanchez numbers):

*Smith had a better completion percentage (61.3 to 56.7) and passer rating (90.7 to 78.2) than Sanchez in 2011. He also averaged more yards per attempt (7.1 to 6.4).

* About that disparity in passer rating … if the 49ers had played a 17th regular-season game … and Smith had thrown 11 interceptions in 11 pass attempts in that game … he still would have finished with a higher rating than Sanchez (78.5 to 78.2).

* Speaking of interceptions, Smith threw five picks in 513 attempts and 18 games (includes playoffs). Sanchez threw five interceptions … in his last five quarters (no, really).

* Speaking of turnovers, Smith had eight in 18 games. Sanchez had 26 in 16 games.

* You probably get the idea regarding interceptions, but since I went to all the trouble … Alex Smith has thrown six interceptions in his last 665 pass attempts (including playoffs). Mark Sanchez has thrown 20 interceptions in his last 665 pass attempts (including playoffs).

* Finally, off the field, Mark Sanchez had that alleged (and legal) “relationship” with a 17-year-old girl and that not-Aaron-Rodgers-approved beefcake shot in GQ. Alex Smith has never jaywalked.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/03/10/smith-vs-sanchez-show-alex-more-money/

*Smith had a better completion percentage (61.3 to 56.7) and passer rating (90.7 to 78.2) than Sanchez in 2011. He also averaged more yards per attempt (7.1 to 6.4).

* About that disparity in passer rating … if the 49ers had played a 17th regular-season game … and Smith had thrown 11 interceptions in 11 pass attempts in that game … he still would have finished with a higher rating than Sanchez (78.5 to 78.2).

* Speaking of interceptions, Smith threw five picks in 513 attempts and 18 games (includes playoffs). Sanchez threw five interceptions … in his last five quarters (no, really).

* Speaking of turnovers, Smith had eight in 18 games. Sanchez had 26 in 16 games.

* You probably get the idea regarding interceptions, but since I went to all the trouble … Alex Smith has thrown six interceptions in his last 665 pass attempts (including playoffs). Mark Sanchez has thrown 20 interceptions in his last 665 pass attempts (including playoffs).

How can you not be excited about Mark Sanchez? Huh? Tell me?

Archived