Jets add Power to Backfield With Additon of RB Braelon Allen

Braelon-Allen-scaled.jpg

Assembling what could become one of the top backfields in the NFL, the Jets selected Wisconsin running back Braelon Allen with the 134th pick.  The youngest player in this year’s draft, Allen combines size, explosion and contact balance to make big plays out of the backfield.

Been a huge Braelon Allen fan for a couple of years now. Thought he'd be a guy getting top 50 buzz come draft time. While things haven't panned out that way, some team is going to be very luck to add him to their backfield. Size/burst/agility combo is very impressive. https://t.co/G9xZ6Yx9XE pic.twitter.com/nMbLsMnqEO

— Glenn Naughton (@JNRadio_Glenn) February 5, 2024

The number one ranked running back in this class by Emory Hunt of CBS Sports, Allen logged over 3,400 yards and 35 touchdowns on the ground in three seasons at Wisconsin.

With Breece Hall and Izzy Abanikanda already on the roster, Allen brings a power element that the backfield currently lacks.

Man let’s get the @HeismanTrophy back to its rightful position..

I’m all in on @BadgerFootball RB Braelon Allen 😤💪🏾 pic.twitter.com/oR3tnaETF0

— Emory Hunt (@FBallGameplan) July 19, 2023

The Jets still have picks 173, 176, 185, 190 and 257 before the draft wraps up.

The post Jets add Power to Backfield With Additon of RB Braelon Allen appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

This is a backfield that completes itself well. I was never sure what Michael Carter really added. He looked good his rookie year and that is it.

A strong back, short yardage, lets go!

• Sympathy 3

41 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d say that maybe Allen replaces Bawden but Allen can’t catch at all. Really curious stuff. 

I was just about to ask, can Allen play FB? He has the size. I just don't know much about his blocking. If he can be a good FB and short-yardage RB, this could be a really good pick.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2024 at 5:16 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Same thing w/ Izzy last year.  He was super young too.

We have a real solid, explosive 1-2 punch w/ breece and Izzy and this kid will be rb3.

Thank you Joe Douglas!  Thank you!!

Rivka Boord seems to question pretty harshly Izzy making the final cut with the addition of Allen and Davis, hope she's wrong

Robert Saleh’s excuse that Abanikanda had to learn how to pass block to get on the field further bodes poorly.

The truth is that Abanikanda is a one-trick pony: his only asset is speed. He has atrocious contact balance, an inability to break tackles, poor hands, and dismal pass protection skills. The 40-yard dash does not correlate with NFL success for running backs, and it’s easy to see it with the Pitt product.

The Jets’ switch to a gap scheme seems to add to the writing on the wall. It could be between Abanikanda and Nick Bawden (fourth running back) or Zack Kuntz (fourth tight end) for a roster spot.

38 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

Rivka Boord seems to question pretty harshly Izzy making the final cut with the addition of Allen and Davis, hope she's wrong

Robert Saleh’s excuse that Abanikanda had to learn how to pass block to get on the field further bodes poorly.

The truth is that Abanikanda is a one-trick pony: his only asset is speed. He has atrocious contact balance, an inability to break tackles, poor hands, and dismal pass protection skills. The 40-yard dash does not correlate with NFL success for running backs, and it’s easy to see it with the Pitt product.

The Jets’ switch to a gap scheme seems to add to the writing on the wall. It could be between Abanikanda and Nick Bawden (fourth running back) or Zack Kuntz (fourth tight end) for a roster spot.

Dont believe Rivka Boord.

• Upvote 2

On 4/27/2024 at 1:33 PM, T0mShane said:

I’d say that maybe Allen replaces Bawden but Allen can’t catch at all. Really curious stuff. 

Connor Rogers showed that he once caught 7 passes in a game.  

It’s not that he “can’t” I think Wisconsin has been notorious for never passing the ball until last year.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

I don’t think this assessment is far off, although the rookie RBs and Yeboah are all probably in the same pool. Bawden’s a league minimum guy, so there’s no rush to cut him, but he also only played on 11% of the offensive snaps last season. Where he’s useful is on special teams as a core player playing on 62% of the snaps. 

Specials is going to be a deciding factor. All four RBs can make the roster if they all contribute on STs (or maybe Boyer pounds the table for Bawden?). I believe that the Jets want Allen or Davis to be the #2 behind Breece as a more physical change of pace back, which works against Abanikanda. Kuntz’ progression at TE will probably determine whether he beats out Yeboah or not. If they opt to dump Bawden, Ruckert and Allen can pick up the FB slack pretty comfortably. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Shonn Greene had 2 decent seasons and was slow as dirt.  Lets have higher expectations than Shonn Greene.

Greene was very tough to bring down when he had a head of steam.

I won't bother debating if Allen is quicker or not, (Allen definitely is) but their running styles are similar - at least from the little bit that I've seen.

I've learned to keep my expectations in check.

• Upvote 1

On 5/9/2024 at 11:14 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Dont believe Rivka Boord.

To be fair, Rivka saves himself a bunch of time by skipping the part where you would normally watch the player play football and goes straight to writing the scouting report.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

To be fair, Rivka saves himself a bunch of time by skipping the part where you would normally watch the player play football and goes straight to writing the scouting report.

Hoping that people doubting Izzy are disappointed. Like last year at this time I hope that Izzy becomes a Leon Washington like type complement to Breece.

Oh,  It's easy to make the mistake, but Rivka Boord,  the new Jets beat writer, is a female... wouldn't want the misgendering police to come knocking lol

51 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

Hoping that people doubting Izzy are disappointed. Like last year at this time I hope that Izzy becomes a Leon Washington like type complement to Breece.

Oh,  It's easy to make the mistake, but Rivka Boord,  the new Jets beat writer, is a female... wouldn't want the misgendering police to come knocking lol

Neon Leon was the speedy, shifty, third down alternative to the more physical Thomas Jones. Today, Breece is the speedy, shifty, three-down threat to score from anywhere on the field, but what they need to spell him is a power back. If Breece has one shortcoming, it’s that he has not been effective in short yardage situations. That’s why the Jets brought in two bruisers. They want that role filled, and they know Abanikanda is not the man for that job. 

The other issue with Izzy is his teeny-tiny, 8.25” hands. With his athletic abilities, what he should be is a receiving threat out of the backfield, but those little hands are suspect. In college, his rushing numbers more than doubled from his sophomore to junior years while his receptions were cut in half from 24 to 12. Neither Allen nor Davis was a prolific receiver in school, but they both saw their receptions increase year after year. 

Not saying Izzy is gonna get thrown to the curb, but he has his work cut out for him in order to avoid it. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Neon Leon was the speedy, shifty, third down alternative to the more physical Thomas Jones. Today, Breece is the speedy, shifty, three-down threat to score from anywhere on the field, but what they need to spell him is a power back. If Breece has one shortcoming, it’s that he has not been effective in short yardage situations. That’s why the Jets brought in two bruisers. They want that role filled, and they know Abanikanda is not the man for that job. 

The other issue with Izzy is his teeny-tiny, 8.25” hands. With his athletic abilities, what he should be is a receiving threat out of the backfield, but those little hands are suspect. In college, his rushing numbers more than doubled from his sophomore to junior years while his receptions were cut in half from 24 to 12. Neither Allen nor Davis was a prolific receiver in school, but they both saw their receptions increase year after year. 

Not saying Izzy is gonna get thrown to the curb, but he has his work cut out for him in order to avoid it. 

Great analysis!  I guess as you state that  it's pretty obvious what they envision for Allen and Davis along with, to a lesser degree, their possible usage in the new kickoff rules. Izzy must be felling the heat, it should be interesting to see how he responds.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, slats said:

If I were Izzy, I’d be working on catching the ball all day every day until the sun sets. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

Seth Meyers Whatever GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

On 4/27/2024 at 4:33 PM, T0mShane said:

What makes you say that? He most certainly can catch a football. Just because Wisconsin didn't ask him to do it often, doesn't mean he can't.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, OilfieldJet said:

I just don’t trust this coaching staff to recognize players strengths and deploy them appropriately. 

On offense, big time.

Recess is over. The offensive CS gets it done this year or the entire CS and maybe JD are gone. If so, likely with them Rodgers. Knock on wood it doesn’t come to that.  

On 4/27/2024 at 4:33 PM, T0mShane said:

Bawden has all of 8 catches over 3 seasons.  For 50+ yards.  
Not a lot to replace 

• Upvote 3

Allen is rb 3 or 4 behind breece and izzy and wont play much unless one of them gets hurt.  Heck im not even sure if he will beat out davis to dress on gameday.

A real nice back to have in the pipeline, but there should be 0 expectations for him for this upcoming season.

• More Ugh 1

On 5/12/2024 at 8:34 AM, slats said:

I get that it is popular to expect Izzy to be a cut candidate and I agree the idea that he will be some kind of scat 3rd down back is misguided, but I don't think a criticism of him for having less receptions his last year is particularly valid.  He went from 12% of PItt's offense to over 29%.   Allen caught more balls his last year than the year prior, but his rushing yards dropped considerably and his percentage of the O went from like 28% to 22%.  We all write that off as being based on the coaching change, and his ypc were identical, but Izzy had a lot deal with as Pitt lost Pickett and he was carrying their O.  Izzy had 20 rushing TDs and 1 receiving.  I think the rest of the team combined for 22 and I think he only played 11 of the 13 games.. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.jetsconfidential.com/news/displaying-soft-confident-hands/

It’s hard to tell much about running backs in spring practices because there is little contact and no tackling.

However, since these are mainly passing camps, you can glean some things about running backs in the passing game, and Jets’ rookie runner Braelon Allen stood out today catching the ball.

Can’t put a number on how many catches he had because stats this time of year are foolish, but he had quite a few.

He displayed soft, confident hands and could be a factor in the Jets’ passing game right out of the gate.

In the Air Raid Offense last year at Wisconsin under first-year head coach Luke Fickell, a more pass-happy attack than his first two years in Wisconsin, Allen had a career-high 28 catches.

And you could tell that experience helped polish his pass-catching skills.

• Upvote 1