Jets Top 25 No 20--------

flgreen

JETS TOP 25: No. 20 Mike DeVito

12:33 PM, June 28, 2012 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

As the Jets enter the quiet part of the summer between the spring program and training camp, I am going to examine the roster and give you my top 25 players on the Jets roster. Each weekday we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into training camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game. Hope you enjoy.

No. 20: MIKE DEVITO

Position: DT/DE

How acquired: Signed as an undrafted free agent on May 12, 2007

Contract status: 1 year, $2.5 million remaining

How he did in 2011: Knee injuries limited DeVito in 2011. He missed four games due to injuries. When he was in there, DeVito continued to be a steady run-stopper for the Jets.

DeVito is one of those lunch-pail guys that gets overlooked until he’s not in there. The Jets really missed him when he was out of the lineup. DeVito is one of their best defenders against the run.

He’s hard to move at the line of scrimmage and is a sure tackler.

Where DeVito is limited is in his pass rushing ability. He is a straight-ahead rusher without much quickness. The Jets removed him in most passing downs last year.

Outlook for 2012: Things got interesting for DeVito on the day of the NFL Draft. When the team selected Quinton Coples in the first round, it was a sign that DeVito’s playing time was about to get slashed.

DeVito handled the move with a lot of class. He has not publicly complained about it, and agreed to a pay cut to stay with the Jets.

There is no doubt that DeVito’s role is going to be reduced with Coples’ arrival, but the team is making a shift to running more four-man fronts and DeVito will be a part of that.

The Jets see DeVito as part of a rotation of guys that can line up inside with Coples and Muhammad Wilkerson on the outside in the four-man look.

The problem for DeVito is teams, in general, are moving more and more to a spread look on offense. The Jets feel like they need to get more of a pass rush from their front four to counter that. DeVito needs to improve as a pass rusher if he wants to stay on the field.

DeVito has proven doubters wrong before. He transformed from an undrafted free agent into a reliable starter. He is also in a contract year, so there are plenty of reasons to expect improvement from DeVito. It just seems unlikely he will be on the field as much in 2012 as he was in 2011.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_top_no_mike_devito_iprsre2DYjJir58WGg8awN#ixzz1z7NjYsOR

NOW IT'S HEATING UP

LOL

This is an interesting spot for DeVito. Does this mean that Dixon is a better Player? Bryan Thomas at this stage of his career. Off an Achilles? Or will both of them be off the list completely?

Will the suspense never end?

Archived