About the rookie QB class...

stoicsentry

I just don't like this idea at all.  Setting up a plan for 2014 with some cheap coach nobody else would hire.  I don't know how that's building anything.    To me, if there is really a rebuild, dump Rex now and bring in some new HC who is on the same page.   Nothing like having a WCO this year and bringing in a coach who doesn't do the WCO next season.

Again, I do not disagree with your point.

I would assume at some point during Izdik's interview he had to outline on the Jets' future with and without Rex.

Again, I do not disagree with your point.

I would assume at some point during Izdik's interview he had to outline on the Jets' future with and without Rex.

There is no outline if there is no coach.   It's not like this guy is a proven winning GM either.   And even if he was, that's all a crap shoot.

I have no problems with the new GM not really caring if Rex is for or against the new plan.   That's on Rex.    The problem I see is having some plan that kind of assumes you have a new coaching staff next year.   If Izdik had spent years building winning teams as a GM, might make sense, but the guy is an unproven GM who will have to depend on the next future coach.

I mean he spent how many years in Seattle where Mike Holmgren and now Pete Carrol are big names who won at the college or NFL levels with big personalities and egos.   And Idzik wasn't the GM.     Rex is the defensive guy,  so dump him, and regardless of what you think of the other coaches, the defense won't be the same.  Rex has proven he knows defense.  The offense, who knows.  If Marty sucks, he's gone and they start over.   

You can't really have any plan in place if you don't have a clue about the HC and the staff.  An Andy Reid has his own personality, style, wants, desires, needs, etc.  The same goes for a Gruden, Cowher, Dungy, etc.   Most teams start to resemble their head coaches. They don't resemble the GM.    When the GM starts to be the 'name,'  you wind up with some HC who is a puppet.  And puppets rarely win.  You wind up like the Chargers and AJ Smith.  Bring in a HC who won't bump heads and who really was never a good HC and watch the team go from 14-2 and a super bowl contender to a team who doesn't make the playoffs.   And they were one of the most talented teams in the NFL for a few years.   

This is why Rex is either part of the future plans or fire him now.  Otherwise this becomes one of those "we have no clue what we are doing" kind of scenarios and we will hire some no name coach that the front office  can control and start over again and again and again.  Because really, hiring 

some guy most people don't give two cents about that you can control is better than Rex?  probably not.

There is no outline if there is no coach.   It's not like this guy is a proven winning GM either.   And even if he was, that's all a crap shoot.

I have no problems with the new GM not really caring if Rex is for or against the new plan.   That's on Rex.    The problem I see is having some plan that kind of assumes you have a new coaching staff next year.   If Izdik had spent years building winning teams as a GM, might make sense, but the guy is an unproven GM who will have to depend on the next future coach.

I mean he spent how many years in Seattle where Mike Holmgren and now Pete Carrol are big names who won at the college or NFL levels with big personalities and egos.   And Idzik wasn't the GM.     Rex is the defensive guy,  so dump him, and regardless of what you think of the other coaches, the defense won't be the same.  Rex has proven he knows defense.  The offense, who knows.  If Marty sucks, he's gone and they start over.   

You can't really have any plan in place if you don't have a clue about the HC and the staff.  An Andy Reid has his own personality, style, wants, desires, needs, etc.  The same goes for a Gruden, Cowher, Dungy, etc.   Most teams start to resemble their head coaches. They don't resemble the GM.    When the GM starts to be the 'name,'  you wind up with some HC who is a puppet.  And puppets rarely win.  You wind up like the Chargers and AJ Smith.  Bring in a HC who won't bump heads and who really was never a good HC and watch the team go from 14-2 and a super bowl contender to a team who doesn't make the playoffs.   And they were one of the most talented teams in the NFL for a few years.   

This is why Rex is either part of the future plans or fire him now.  Otherwise this becomes one of those "we have no clue what we are doing" kind of scenarios and we will hire some no name coach that the front office  can control and start over again and again and again.  Because really, hiring 

some guy most people don't give two cents about that you can control is better than Rex?  probably not.

Realistically, how much can he do?

The Jets could not clean house and expect to sign a big name coach.

Rex is signed through 2014.  Yes, for a team worth (or close to) a billion dollars could easily swallow the 10-12 million he is owed.  However, they are already eating Tanny's contract.  They probably do not want too much in dead money and then need to go get a big dollar contract coach with a side order of GM.  Assuming, the Jets are interested in getting a Gruden/Cowher/Saban. 

The salary cap is a mess.  Even if the Jets were decent last year, the salary cap was going to be an issue that had to be dealt with.  Players needed to be cut or in the case of Revis possibly traded.  The last report I heard the Jets are 8 million under the cap.  Not exactly going shopping for the high dollar free agents.     

That is not exactly a great sell for a guy like Cowher or Gruden. 

The more important question is are the Jets trying to change the culture?

Archived