About the rookie QB class...

stoicsentry

& everyone saying there are no good QB's to be found.

Three names from the past 2 years: Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins.

Now it looks like all 3 of these guys could be franchise QBs, given the opportunity. Did they have that reputation coming into the draft? I don't think they did but maybe I'm forgetting.

I would like to see more from Kaepernick, Wilson and specially Cousins before i call then franchise QB's.

They very well maybe franchise QB's but the skeptical me needs more evidence.

I don't blame you for that. But if any of those 3 were on our roster right now and if you're like me, you'd be doing backflips. :P

I guess I'm a little jaded with the experts that told us Sanchez was a franchise QB and those 3 weren't. Wondering if maybe we can't find a diamond in the rough in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I don't blame you for that. But if any of those 3 were on our roster right now and if you're like me, you'd be doing backflips. :tongue:

I guess I'm a little jaded with the experts that told us Sanchez was a franchise QB and those 3 weren't. Wondering if maybe we can't find a diamond in the rough in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Hey there is always an opportunity somebody drafted lower int he order could pan out. Just ask Belichick.

Kapernick was considered a project and some say the JETS were interested in him. Not sure how he would have developed under the likes of Cavanaugh.

Wilson was drafted lower because of his height and the fact last year was a strong draft class for QB's.

I am still really high on Tyler Bray, Draft him as a 21 year old junior, let him sit a season and learn. If he had the same season next season he did this season he would be considered a first round prospect. Tall, with a quick release and strong arm, perfect for a WCO.

I am still really high on Tyler Bray, Draft him as a 21 year old junior, let him sit a season and learn. If he had the same season next season he did this season he would be considered a first round prospect. Tall, with a quick release and strong arm, perfect for a WCO.

Tyler Bray couldn't hit water if he fell out of a rowboat.

i have said in the past that this is a really bad QB year. Now, i don't think it's bad so much as hard to evaluate. There gonna be about 6 or 7 top 100 QB's but there's no Cam Newton or RG3 type of 1 overall pick. If your KC it's a bad year. Teams will find 2 or 3 starters in this year but it's gonna be dicey. The best one might be Jeff Tuel or Zac Dysert or someone no one's heard of... (Tony Romo type of 7th/UFA)

i would rather have Alex Smith over Colin Humperdink

OMG HE CAN RUN FAST....but he can't beat the Ravens in the SB, can he??

They scored thirty one points, Kaepernick threw for 300 and ran for 62 (that's 1000 if you prorate it over a season) and yet it was Kaepernick who couldn't beat the Ravens. You're a funny guy. Mark Sanchez led the Jets to two AFC championships too, right?

Sounds like you just like to get high.

Nope, I think Bray is going to be a good QB in the NFL. Best in this draft, better then what we have already, better then anyone available to the jets now..

I don't blame you for that. But if any of those 3 were on our roster right now and if you're like me, you'd be doing backflips. :tongue:

Sanchez was along for the ride.  He wasn't terrible, but he was a game manager who turned the ball over often.  

Who knows if any of these guys pan out to be elite HOF type QBs.    Wilson had one of the best rookie QB seasons ever.  Him and Peyton Manning were the only QBs to have 26 TD passes their rookie year.  And Wilson had far fewer interceptions.     And its not like the Seahawks were known to be QB gurus.   They traded for Matt Flynn.   A one meaningless game wonder.   They traded for Charlier Whitehurst.  It's just one of those things.  He benefits from being on a team that has drafted well though.  But did anybody really think the Seahawks were a playoff team last preseason?  Probably not.  

Kapernick, I don't know.  He has his moments.  He also had some brain farts.   I don't know how much of it was him or the team though.  Smith was winning and had something like 70 percent completion percentage.  He might have gone on to have his best season.  And he was a special teams turnover from taking the 49ers to the super bowl himself.    So as great as Kapernick was,  I can't say for sure he's just lucky he was on one the best all around teams in the NFL.       The first half of that super bowl before the blackout,  Kapernick and the 49ers looked lost and bad.  The Ravens were the bully and beating them down.  He showed a lot of poise and heart though in the comeback.   You never know.   

Cousins?  The guy played what, 3 games and is a backup.    And he'll be the backup again if RG3 is healthy.  I wouldn't call him elite or heading in that direction.   Maybe in a few years when he's a free agent (matt schaub routine) he will prove he's a starter.  But until then,  he's just a backup QB.

Saying all that above though,  you never know.  You could take a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round who becomes your franchise QB.  Doesn't always happen, but considering how many teams pick top 10 QBs and they wind up busts or just not that good.  And Alex Smith was considered a buch and out to pasture until Harbaugh decided to keep him and give him a shot.  That was like 6 years after he was a rookie.

Thats the other worry I have about this draft.  If they front office thinks Rex Ryan is as good as gone after the season,  what are they actually planning or building?  You take a QB in this draft and the next coach doesn't like him or doesn't think he's the guy for his system,  where does that lead you?  These things always happen.    Kapernick was Harbaughs guy.   And the first chance he had to keep him in, even as great as Smith was playing, he picked it.   Nobody on the Broncos liked Tebow and they didn't ever want to play him.  Hell it didn't seem like anybody on the Jets liked Tebow and they didn't play him.

So if the front office is building from some plan and a new coach comes along and says that's not going to work,  what happens then?  Nobody cares if it's Joe Schmo from nobody ever heard of coaching university, but if it's somebody like a Gruden or Cowher and so on...people start scratching their heads and coaches start saying, no thanks.   

Think about it.  Reid went into KC and traded for Alex Smith.    they still might draft for the future, but they have a QB for the foreseeable future.   This is the problem with having a lame duck coach.  Your plan becomes lame duck.

You may want to start...he's poopoo

Meh. He's big, physically talented, has tons of experience, and is a way better (and healthier) athlete than Bradford was coming out of the same system. I thought he played better than the end result of that A&M game and that his WRs dropped at least two NFL-ish throw for TDs in that game.

Definitely do agree with the general concensus that there's something soft about him, but I wonder if some of that might just be the system. I think there's a more aggressive player in there, maybe. Maybe even Rexgressive.

Saying all that above though,  you never know.  You could take a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round who becomes your franchise QB.  Doesn't always happen, but considering how many teams pick top 10 QBs and they wind up busts or just not that good.  And Alex Smith was considered a buch and out to pasture until Harbaugh decided to keep him and give him a shot.  That was like 6 years after he was a rookie.

Thats the other worry I have about this draft.  If they front office thinks Rex Ryan is as good as gone after the season,  what are they actually planning or building?  You take a QB in this draft and the next coach doesn't like him or doesn't think he's the guy for his system,  where does that lead you?  These things always happen.    Kapernick was Harbaughs guy.   And the first chance he had to keep him in, even as great as Smith was playing, he picked it.   Nobody on the Broncos liked Tebow and they didn't ever want to play him.  Hell it didn't seem like anybody on the Jets liked Tebow and they didn't play him.

So if the front office is building from some plan and a new coach comes along and says that's not going to work,  what happens then?  Nobody cares if it's Joe Schmo from nobody ever heard of coaching university, but if it's somebody like a Gruden or Cowher and so on...people start scratching their heads and coaches start saying, no thanks.   

Think about it.  Reid went into KC and traded for Alex Smith.    they still might draft for the future, but they have a QB for the foreseeable future.   This is the problem with having a lame duck coach.  Your plan becomes lame duck.

I do not disagree with your point, but do not think it is totally applicable to ythe Jets.

Idzik is not going anywhere.  If Idzik has been given full control over the draft, he can choose who he wants to build the franchise around.  If Rex is indeed gone after next year, one of the first questions to the new coach is can you make it work with QB to be named later.

I do not disagree with your point, but do not think it is totally applicable to ythe Jets.

Idzik is not going anywhere.  If Idzik has been given full control over the draft, he can choose who he wants to build the franchise around.  If Rex is indeed gone after next year, one of the first questions to the new coach is can you make it work with QB to be named later.

This is the problem I have though.   Idzkik has never proved anything.   And if the Jets wind up 3-13 and Rex is dumped,  do you really think a potential great HC would listen to Idzkik and what he knows about QBs.      Most head coaches that have some kind of pedigree will have their own plan, own idea.    Say they interview a Gruden or Cowher or whomever like that.  Those guys aren't going to just accept what Idzik is selling. Especially after a terrible season.   Why would they.  Both are super bowl winners.

Which leads us back to the Jets and Idzik are making their own plans and they wind up hiring some nobody who is more a puppet than a guy who leads things.   I'm not really liking that concept at all.  

Like I said, Andy Reid went to Kansas City and traded for Alex Smith.     Harbaugh brought in Kapernick and in season 2, even after his QB almost lead his team to a super bowl and was throwing at a 70 percent completion rate,  he went with Kapernick.    John Fox and Elway never wanted Tebow, didn't draft him, and even after the Broncos won a playoff game, they brought in Manning.

Most HC who think they are good,  will probably want to bring in their own QB.    THis is why having a lame duck Rex Ryan season makes no sense in any future plans.   The next coach might have their own idea.   Unless of course they hire somebody like a Herm Edwards who just sucks and will listen to whatever they tell him to do.    Hows that worked out in the past?

This is the problem I have though.   Idzkik has never proved anything.   And if the Jets wind up 3-13 and Rex is dumped,  do you really think a potential great HC would listen to Idzkik and what he knows about QBs.      Most head coaches that have some kind of pedigree will have their own plan, own idea.    Say they interview a Gruden or Cowher or whomever like that.  Those guys aren't going to just accept what Idzik is selling. Especially after a terrible season.   Why would they.  Both are super bowl winners.

Which leads us back to the Jets and Idzik are making their own plans and they wind up hiring some nobody who is more a puppet than a guy who leads things.   I'm not really liking that concept at all.  

Like I said, Andy Reid went to Kansas City and traded for Alex Smith.     Harbaugh brought in Kapernick and in season 2, even after his QB almost lead his team to a super bowl and was throwing at a 70 percent completion rate,  he went with Kapernick.    John Fox and Elway never wanted Tebow, didn't draft him, and even after the Broncos won a playoff game, they brought in Manning.

Most HC who think they are good,  will probably want to bring in their own QB.    THis is why having a lame duck Rex Ryan season makes no sense in any future plans.   The next coach might have their own idea.   Unless of course they hire somebody like a Herm Edwards who just sucks and will listen to whatever they tell him to do.    Hows that worked out in the past?

Again do not disagree with any point.

My 50000 foot view is the Jets are setting up for a 2014 HC and QB search for some of the points you covered.

Garrard and Quinn are there to push Sanchez. Not to be long term solution.

If the Jets struggle and Sanchez continues to butt fumble, the new HC will have a high pick to spend on a QB.

The Jets have not gone for a big name coach during Johnson's tenure. What makes you think they will now short of Johnson seeing the error of his ways?

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/lewin-career-forecast-2013

Likes Geno Smith and Landry Jones if he goes in the first three rounds. There's writeups on the individuals in there.

Nassib's looking mighty tempting in round 2. Syracuse was 18th in OFEI and with the exception of Explosive Drives (which makes sense), they ranked no worse than 31 in the other offensive metrics.

Nassib's looking mighty tempting in round 2. Syracuse was 18th in OFEI and with the exception of Explosive Drives (which makes sense), they ranked no worse than 31 in the other offensive metrics.

If you draft a QB in round 2 that had to be your next guy. Nassib has average skills and is mediocre under pressure. He ceiling is like as a Matt Flynn. NO THANKS. 

I saw that Syracuse vs. Missouri game with Nassib. He is, I believe, tailor made for the WCO offense. He has a good arm, makes good decisions and you can see him go through progressions. Also, under pressure he finds the open receiver  The USC game showed some of his warts BUT he did make a lot of good plays and receivers dropped passes. He will be a good QB. I believe he will be available at the beginning of the 2nd round. However, I believe the Bills will draft him in the 2nd round if we don't trade up. 

The most underrated QB in this draft is Matt Barkley. That may change after his pro day. Barkley would have been picked in front of Tannehill last year and is now being considered a second rounder in this weak QB draft because of a bad year under an awful coach with a weak team.

The most underrated QB in this draft is Matt Barkley. That may change after his pro day. Barkley would have been picked in front of Tannehill last year and is now being considered a second rounder in this weak QB draft because of a bad year under an awful coach with a weak team.

He's not underrated, he's undersized, underarmed and under talented. There is nothing he does exceptionally well on a football field. 

Again do not disagree with any point.

My 50000 foot view is the Jets are setting up for a 2014 HC and QB search for some of the points you covered.

Garrard and Quinn are there to push Sanchez. Not to be long term solution.

If the Jets struggle and Sanchez continues to butt fumble, the new HC will have a high pick to spend on a QB.

The Jets have not gone for a big name coach during Johnson's tenure. What makes you think they will now short of Johnson seeing the error of his ways?

I just don't like this idea at all.  Setting up a plan for 2014 with some cheap coach nobody else would hire.  I don't know how that's building anything.    To me, if there is really a rebuild, dump Rex now and bring in some new HC who is on the same page.   Nothing like having a WCO this year and bringing in a coach who doesn't do the WCO next season.

Archived