NFLPA Investigating Jay-Z's Role in Roc Nation's Recruitment of Geno

Jetsfan80

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/nflpa-investigating-jay-z-role-courting-jets-geno-article-1.1354868

NFLPA investigating Jay-Z's role in Roc Nation's recruitment of NY Jets

QB Geno Smith, according to report

The rap star’s possible involvement in Smith’s decision could be a violation of the 'runner rule' that doesn’t allow non-agents to help recruit athletes for agencies.

image-1-1354869.jpg

The NFL Players Association is investigating Jay-Z’s role in Geno Smith’s decision to choose Kim Miale and Roc Nation as his agency, according to NFL.com.

The rap star’s possible involvement in Smith’s decision could be a violation of the “runner rule” that doesn’t allow non-agents to help recruit athletes for agencies. Smith spent time with Jay-Z, as evidenced at least by an Instagram picture the Jets quarterback posted of him with the musician.

The NFLPA plans to send a letter of inquiry to Miale to determine Jay-Z’s role during the process, according to the report. Smith fired his former agents after he dropped to the 39th overall pick in the draft.

Smith’s former adviser, John Thornton, was quoted by CBS recently saying, "I was in those meetings, and Jay-Z connected with him on many levels." Thornton later said he was misquoted.

Smith announced on Wednesday that he decided to choose Roc Nation. 

All Jay-Z is going to say is he was a fan of the young man in college and wanted to meet him and they didn't talk about business. All Geno is going to say is he wanted to meet Jay-Z and it wasn't a big deal that the rapper has an athlete management agency. Badabing badaboom no proof investigation over. 

All Jay-Z is going to say is he was a fan of the young man in college and wanted to meet him and they didn't talk about business. All Geno is going to say is he wanted to meet Jay-Z and it wasn't a big deal that the rapper has an athlete management agency. Badabing badaboom no proof investigation over. 

I like this guy.  Welcome to JN.

The "adviser" mucked this up by opening his mouth but nothing is going to come from it. The NFLPA doesn't really care that much, I'm sure the agents are the ones butt hurt and filing a complaint. Geno and Jay Z just need to deny deny deny. I'd sign with him also, he just gave some chick Skylar Diggins from the WNBA a Mercedes Benz as a graduation present.

Archived