Non-QB/WR Position Battles

IslandJetsFan

We've been Sanchez-Geno'd to death and we've even had some good WR talk, but what about some of the other position battles?

TE: How's Hayden and Konrad doing? Any think good out of Pantele/Shannahan?

RB3: Powell/Spann/McKnight/Griffin? Who's looking good?

S: Sounds like Antonio has an edge on Bush, but who else is impressing depth wise?

How are the Rooks doing on the OL? Winters got any shot to beat out Peterman to start the year?

What other battles am I missing? LB depth? DL depth? CB 4/5/6

I don't think the LB battles are solely for depth.  The only true LB who probably has his job sewn up is Harris.  We'd like to think that Davis does too, but I'm not sure he's proven he's a full-time ILB.  Mauga and Bellore may rate some time.  At OLB, Pace's job is certainly up for grabs.  McIntyre wasn't horrible last season and Sapp always gets talked up in practice.  Coples will see plenty of playing time, but how much will be at DE and how much at OLB?  There is even the question as to how much 4-3 vs. 3-4 they play and that will depend on how effective each is. 

S is wide open IMO.  Bush, Allen and Jarrett will probably fight for one job with Landry in the other, but if they impress Landry isn't exactly impossible to unseat.  

Powell, McKnight and anybody else they have are competing for carries.  These guys are not good enough to expect one to be RB1 and another to be RB2.  Especially Goodson who isn't even here. 

Idzik is preaching competition at every position.  There aren't too many guys on this team that deserve to have their jobs handed to them based on past performance.  A few surprise starters would be nice. 

I don't think the LB battles are solely for depth.  The only true LB who probably has his job sewn up is Harris.  We'd like to think that Davis does too, but I'm not sure he's proven he's a full-time ILB.  Mauga and Bellore may rate some time.  At OLB, Pace's job is certainly up for grabs.  McIntyre wasn't horrible last season and Sapp always gets talked up in practice.  Coples will see plenty of playing time, but how much will be at DE and how much at OLB?  There is even the question as to how much 4-3 vs. 3-4 they play and that will depend on how effective each is. 

S is wide open IMO.  Bush, Allen and Jarrett will probably fight for one job with Landry in the other, but if they impress Landry isn't exactly impossible to unseat.  

Powell, McKnight and anybody else they have are competing for carries.  These guys are not good enough to expect one to be RB1 and another to be RB2.  Especially Goodson who isn't even here. 

Idzik is preaching competition at every position.  There aren't too many guys on this team that deserve to have their jobs handed to them based on past performance.  A few surprise starters would be nice. 

You forgot about Barnes @ OLB.  He should flourish behind this DL imo.

I agree with this for the most part, although I'd say Landry's job is probably locked in, at least for the beginning of the season.  Rex's defense are known to have a lot going on and in addition to his level of play, I think a big part of the Landry signing was to get that veteran leadership back at the safety position with both his brother and Bell leaving, which is only helped by the fact that Landry already has past experience in Rex's D.  I think the other guys would really have to blow him away throughout all of camp and preseason in order to take his job.  Of course, that's not say you won't see plenty of instances of these other guys rotating in, which is something I think will be overall a much more common theme on this year's roster given how much younger it is these days.

You forgot about Barnes @ OLB.  He should flourish behind this DL imo.

Agreed.

I agree with this for the most part, although I'd say Landry's job is probably locked in, at least for the beginning of the season.  Rex's defense are known to have a lot going on and in addition to his level of play, I think a big part of the Landry signing was to get that veteran leadership back at the safety position with both his brother and Bell leaving, which is only helped by the fact that Landry already has past experience in Rex's D.  I think the other guys would really have to blow him away throughout all of camp and preseason in order to take his job.  Of course, that's not say you won't see plenty of instances of these other guys rotating in, which is something I think will be overall a much more common theme on this year's roster given how much younger it is these days.

I agree.  I'm pretty sure Landry will start.  Guys like Ivory will almost certainly start.  Still, these jobs are not set in stone and it would probably be for the best if some of these likely starters get beaten out.  

Archived