Second Team Safeties Making a Push(Article)

eboozer

http://www.jetsinsider.com/blogs/evan_slavit/?p=47

Cortland, NY – Dawan Landy and Antonio Allen have been taking the first team reps so far in camp, but that doesn’t mean those spots are locked down. Yes, it’s pretty safe to assume Landry will be occupying one spot, but Allen is still in a heated battle with Jaiquawn Jarrett.

rex_riled.jpg

Rex Ryan is pleased with the way the safety competition is shaping up

“Well it’s good competition because Jaiquawn Jarrett is behind him [Allen], and that is going to be real fun to watch because both guys are physical players,” said Rex Ryan. “We’ll just let that play out, but I think it is going to be a real good competition with those two.”

Jarrett was a second round pick of the Eagles back in 2011, but was cut near the beginning of last season. With that change of fate so early in his career he is not taking his shot for granted.

Read the rest of the article at link above. I don't want to get in trouble. I think it's a common courtesy among blogs.

If the mods here tell me it isn't I'll post the whole articles from now on.

Allen has always been the more impressive player relative to Josh Bush, IMO. I feel like Tanny and Rex got over enamored with Josh Bush due to the ever popular 'intangibles' he possesses and over drafted for him. He has the mental edge over Allen, but Antonio has much better natural physical ability and instincts.

Considering Landry is already the Rex appointed 'cerebral' leader of the secondary, it appears the likelihood of Bush starting has been diminished.

Antonio was pretty beastly at the spur position. More impressively, he was able to wreak havoc in the SEC against the best teams and players in the country. I'm looking forward to seinge what he can do in the NFL. He's going to have some hickups in coverage every once in a while, but hopefully he can continue getting better.

Allen has always been the more impressive player relative to Josh Bush, IMO. I feel like Tanny and Rex got over enamored with Josh Bush due to the ever popular 'intangibles' he possesses and over drafted for him. He has the mental edge over Allen, but Antonio has much better natural physical ability and instincts.

Considering Landry is already the Rex appointed 'cerebral' leader of the secondary, it appears the likelihood of Bush starting has been diminished.

Antonio was pretty beastly at the spur position. More impressively, he was able to wreak havoc in the SEC against the best teams and players in the country. I'm looking forward to seinge what he can do in the NFL. He's going to have some hickups in coverage every once in a while, but hopefully he can continue getting better.

Funny you mention intangibles because I think Bush's stock rose because he ran very fast at the combine.  Almost 2 tenths faster than Allen IIRC.  They weigh about the same.  I think it's curious that they seemed to use Allen more while keeping Bush safely on the roster. It's also possible that the fact that Allen played that specific position which fit better with the Jets than other teams and Bush seems a fairly traditional FS might have contributed to that.

Archived