In Last Five Years: Coughlin and Rex Have Identical Record 36-31

Lizard King

The over-arching point, CTM, is that Tom Coughlin is considered a great coach.  By your standards, he is decidedly not.  He's a slightly above average coach who was lucky to have Eli Manning and some fantastic pass-rushers over the years.  I give far more credit to the Giants' front office for those rings.

I've long been on record as saying there are very few truly great coaches, most have been made by their QB. I've had this argument a ton of times about BB in fact.

I don't think Coughlin is a great coach by any means, and that's not what I'm arguing, I'm saying he deserves more job security because of the SB wins, rightly or wrongly, it's just the way it works. If Rex had won 2 SB's there'd be a to less talk about him getting canned today

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O'Brien has the prior experience in teh NFL

He choked in the Superbowl.

2010 Patriots (pre-O'Brien as OC) = 32.4 ppg

2011 Patriots (with O'Brien as OC) = 32.1 ppg

2012 Patriots (post-O'Brien as OC) = 34.8 ppg

He has experience in the NFL similar to the way Mangini had experience in the NFL.  Convenient that the only offense he was given to run already had Brady & Gronkowski & Hernandez and a pocketful of refs.  But I'm sure he'd be just as successful with Mark Sanchez & Tim Tebow & a rookie Stephen Hill & Clyde Gates & mostly-injured Santonio Holmes & Dustin Keller.  Probably would have coordinated that offense to at least 31 ppg. 

But I'm sure he'd be just as successful with Mark Sanchez & Tim Tebow & a rookie Stephen Hill & Clyde Gates & mostly-injured Santonio Holmes & Dustin Keller. Probably would have coordinated that offense to at least 31 ppg.

I couldn't even read this with a straight face.

My bad, you're right. I neglected to mention we also had Jeff Cumberland. And Braylon Edwards for 3 games. Year before that we had Plaxico Burress. THE Plaxico Burress. And Plaxico has a superbowl ring.

STOP. great. now I'm the weird woman who laughs uncontrollably at her phone at work. thanks, assh*le.

Archived