Here's what's happening...

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

Geno is showing legitimate improvement and is demonstrating that he can be a very good QB in this league.  I am very, very excited about what he can bring to this team.  Very strong in the pass game.  Good runner, very mobile.  A leader.  He's also showing me that he is coachable and capable of improving.  He is getting better and as we add pieces around him will only improve.  This is a very good development for us.

What's also happening is our defense is not progressing at the same rate.  For all the talent on that side of the ball we have been underperforming to our talent for years now.

Say what you want but we have an enormous amount of highly drafted players on our defense and in our secondary.  Mo, Sheldon, Q, Wilson, Milliner, Pryor are all 1st round draft picks on the D.  

I'm concerned that the league may have caught up to Rex's defensive philosophy.

Truth hurts.  Just like the Tampa-2 came and went...it's possible that Rex's style of defense may be passe.

Carolina.  Seattle.  Cincinnati.  Arizona.  They are more traditional defenses that rely upon a more sound approach.  Less gimmicky, risky.  

Jets.  New Orleans.  Pittsburgh.  Ravens.  They are more of a Rex style.  More amoaeba.  And much less effective these days.  Without top, top talent the scheme is not so confounding anymore.

Bottom line is Rex needs to show he can improve at the same rate as Geno or he's not going to be around.  He needs to evolve.  And that might mean actually  being more traditional.

That's the reality here.  Our defense is the problem and there are enough players there to be better than we are. 

One reason why the JETS defense may not be working is the refs are being to told to go easy on those offensive holding calls against defenses that can nail the QB. After all its all about protecting the Holy QB.

Yesterday's game was littered with quite a few offensive holding calls that should have gone JETS way.

So your front 7 is ineffective and you got a patch work secondary. That's just too easy for a QB like Rodgers to pick apart.

Archived