Jets decline to exercise option on Chris Johnson, making him a FA

DaBallhawk

Same as Bilal Powell.

Powell is a better fit for this team, he's way younger, way fresher legs, way more vertsatile, way less a headache, way cheaper to re-sign. Plus this allows us to "promote" Ivory who a lot of people feel has the potential to be a top 3 back in the NFL, behind AP and Lynch maybe.

I am a big Bilal Powell fan. He did not get enough carries to show he measured up to CJ last year. The Jets got their money's worth out of CJ. Good luck to him.

That's like a wee little bit of hyperbole to me.

I think Ivory is best suited as a member of a committee, rather than a guy asked to carry 70+% of the load himself. He's a violent runner with a injury history, limiting his work is a good plan. Signing Chris Johnson could've been the right idea, but he's just not the same player anymore. Signing Spiller will be the same idea, and if it happens, I hope it works out. The Gailey connection helps the hope there.

I like Powell as a back, too, but I can't imagine him not wanting to test the free agent waters - especially if the team signs Spiller, relegating him to the #3 spot (or worse). I could see him leaving if given the opportunity for a larger role somewhere else.

Powell will probably end up in Buffalo. With Spiller leaving in free agency, and Fred Jackson no longer what he used to be, they have very little at the position.

Archived