Mike Glennon still part of Bucs' future
February, 19, 2015
Feb 19
8:00
AM ET
By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com
  •  
  •  
INDIANAPOLIS – Once, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers declared Mike Glennon the quarterback of the future.

That was last year. More recently, it was looking like Glennon was the quarterback of the past. Not so fast.

If nothing else, Glennon is the quarterback of the present.

Glennon
“Mike is the only quarterback on our roster,’’ coach Lovie Smith said. “I think that’s where he fits.’’

That comes with a qualifier. The Bucs hold the No. 1 overall pick in the draft and it’s looking like they’ll use it on either Florida State’s Jameis Winston or Oregon’s Marcus Mariota.

But Glennon is in better shape than he was a year ago. He’ll be either a bridge quarterback – starting until Winston or Mariota is ready – or a backup with important duties as a mentor to the rookies. That’s better than last year when Josh McCown was brought in as Smith’s handpicked quarterback. In a bit of a surprise, McCown was released last week and Glennon was kept. Smith explained the logic behind that.

“That has nothing to do with the future,’’ Smith said. “Last year, we had Josh. We brought Josh here to be our quarterback. I wanted to let Josh have an opportunity to play. But that wasn’t a knock against Mike or anything like that. We made the decision early on to release Josh. You guys know what I think about Josh. I think he can still play football. But, going forward, I thought our best chance to win was with Mike right now as our quarterback.

"So where does that put Mike? Mike’s the only quarterback that we have that’s played on our roster. That should tell you an awful lot. We have a new staff also coming in. I let offensive coordinator] Dirk [Koetter] and [quarterbacks coach] Mike Bajakian look at our quarterbacks and see what they thought. We all feel comfortable right now with Mike being on our roster and being our quarterback.’’

“We like Mike Glennon,’’ general manager Jason Licht said. “We want him to be a part of the future. We like Mike Glennon a lot.’’

The future hasn’t arrived yet, but at least Glennon is part of the plan.

Guys,

Between the FA QBs out there they are all basically the difference between different bowls of sh*t. The only real difference between them all is the smell. McCown, Hoyer, and Moore head up the list as the best available and none may be any better than Geno. The draft has 2 QBs only probably going in the 1st round and neither is touted to be a high blue chip prospect like Luck was so they are both a significant gamble. If 1 falls to us at the 6th spot it would probably be better to trade down and get a chunk for the guy if we get a trade partner willing to give up a lot. If not, we'll see if they would actually draft the QB at that position. Then later in the draft probably mid rounds guys like Bryce Petty may be better to take a risk on. In any event, getting a FA to compete with Smith and then getting a QB probably in the mid rounds of this draft may make the most sense for the Jets since there probably is no better alternative. So, in closing, expectations at QB this year have to be properly set based on the supply out there, and no team has a QB to trade any better than the FAs out there, so that is probably not an option either. 

Actually I've heard Hoyer smells like pineapple juice.

Archived