Patience, Perseverance paying off for Miles

JetNation

I think there are some simple reasons. 

• Miles played against the Jaguars and was a part of those 1,000 yards passing given up in 3 weeks.  
  • They have had some roster issues.  Mangold was hurt which meant they had to call up Johnson.  Colon was already in sketchy shape, so they didn't want to monkey with any of the guards.  Ivory and Powell were both hurt, so they had to bring Ridley back.  It wasn't going to be easy to squeeze another safety on the roster.  I think that is why they went with Williams at safety. Truth be told, the game that Williams plays should be suited to safety, but it did not work out. In order to bring Miles up they ended up cutting the 5th rounder Harrison.  By putting Colon on the IR they have more room to keep him around. 
  • They probably had Bailey and Martin on their list as good UDFA prospects and/or liked them after watching them in camp with the Seahawks.  They were both signed off waivers and there may be some necessity to carry guys for a certain number of weeks to do that - I know there is for practice squad players.  More importantly, they may have just wanted to evaluate them or looked upon them as special teams upgrades. From what I have seen, I would slot Miles ahead of Martin but behind Bailey. Based on how they were called up, that seems to be how the team sees them.

He was in on like 8 plays vs. the Jags.  It wasnt significant.  You're 2nd point makes sense.  And I get where you're going with the 3rd but think that was just a mistake. 

He was in on like 8 plays vs. the Jags.  It wasnt significant.  You're 2nd point makes sense.  And I get where you're going with the 3rd but think that was just a mistake. 

No big disagreement here.  I think it was 10 plays (I have been a bit snap count obsessed this year) against the Jags, but there were a couple of bad ones IMO.  I can see why you think the 3rd point was a mistake, but when they had Martin ahead of him they still had Pryor and Jarrett healthy.  At that point it might be worth taking a peek at an UDFA rookie.  I think Bailey looked pretty good, so I have no problem with him being ahead of Miles.  I think it will be interesting to see what they do next offseason. Gilchrist is due $5M for next year and they may consider monkeying with his salary (he got $1M +2.5M bonus for 2015).  Like Cro, that may be a place to save.  Allen and Jarrett are FAs.  Pryor, Martin, Miles and Bailey will be under contract.

No big disagreement here.  I think it was 10 plays (I have been a bit snap count obsessed this year) against the Jags, but there were a couple of bad ones IMO.  I can see why you think the 3rd point was a mistake, but when they had Martin ahead of him they still had Pryor and Jarrett healthy.  At that point it might be worth taking a peek at an UDFA rookie.  I think Bailey looked pretty good, so I have no problem with him being ahead of Miles.  I think it will be interesting to see what they do next offseason. Gilchrist is due $5M for next year and they may consider monkeying with his salary (he got $1M +2.5M bonus for 2015).  Like Cro, that may be a place to save.  Allen and Jarrett are FAs.  Pryor, Martin, Miles and Bailey will be under contract.

Gilchrist has been really solid, I'm not sure if he'd be cut. They'll save so much cutting Cro and Coples and restructuring others, they may not have to. Allen and Jarrett are probably done here. Even after cutting Cro, they'll still have: Revis, Skrine, Williams, Milliner, and McDougle (Walls is a UFA and can probably get a better deal/more PT elsewhere). So the secondary should be in solid shape. Next offseason will focus on LBs and RBs I'd imagine.

Archived