Rontez Miles ~ ~ ~

kelly

On a day when the Jets were struggling to get their engines fired up, midway through the fourth quarter S Rontez Milesicon-article-link.gif would be the sparkplug.

Snatching an Eli Manning pass intended for WR Rueben Randle on the Jets' 4-yard line, Miles’ first NFL career interception was the play that changed the course of the game in which the Jets ultimately beat the Giants, 23-20 in overtime.“We were doubling,” said Miles during his media scrum. “He ran a pick route, so I jumped the under route. I guess he saw it. [Manning] hesitated and I think [Leger] Douzable added pressure so he had to get rid of the ball anyway earlier than he wanted to. Right place, right time, and it was in my hand.”

The Jets were down by 10 points when the Giants decided to take a shot at the end zone or at the very least first-and-goal on fourth-and-2 instead of kicking a Josh Brown field goal that would have given Big Blue a 13-point lead.“Make them score two touchdowns to beat you,” said head coach Tom Coughlin addressing reporters. “By the same token, if we scored there on fourth-and-2, then we push the score up to where maybe they can’t beat us with whatever, so we’re up 17. I stand by it.”

“I thought they would kick the field goal, honestly,” said Miles. "I told myself when I saw the screen, ‘One more play, fourth-and-2. We can go for it.’ Everybody was saying it could change the game. We rallied up together, we held in — it was amazing. Amazing feeling to be a part of that, too.”The Jets' offense, ignited by Miles, capitalized on the turnover by moving 12 plays and 80 yards to a Randy Bullockicon-article-link.gif field goal.

“It was a turning point,” said head coach Todd Bowles. “Miles came in, he’s been playing great the last two weeks now and we were fortunate to make some plays and the guys didn’t get down on themselves, so we finished out.”Miles replaced S Calvin Pryoricon-article-link.gif, who was out for the rest of the game with a stinger. But with Coach Bowles’ motto, “Next Man Up,” the backup safety out of California, PA, has made the most of his opportunities.“He stepped up,” said veteran DE Muhammad Wilkersonicon-article-link.gif. “Whenever his name has been called this season, whenever he has to be in there and do his job, he’s been doing it. That interception was big for us. Can’t ask for anything more from a player like him, a practice squad guy, he gets in, gets activated and makes plays for us.”

Along with his interception, Miles finished Sunday’s matchup with four tackles and one pass defense and was part of a Jets overtime defensive stand that held the Giants scoreless.

“It just speaks volumes of what guys can come in,” said CB Antonio Cromartieicon-article-link.gif. “Step in and continue to thrive with each other and just go from there.”

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Jets-Ride-Miles-a-Long-Way/be3540ca-41c0-4d5f-abb0-990a3fcef523

Great play by Miles and perhaps the turning point of our season.  Jets never gave up and I'm glad to see the other guys or "next man-up" guys making these types of plays.  Interesting to get his take on the Eli throw.  In situations like that we would criticize the QB's throw but it seems like in this case he had to get the ball out of his hands because of the pressure. Better to release it and pray for a completion than take a 4th down sack.

Miles is straight balling.  There really isnt a huge drop off when Pryor is out and Miles is in.  They are both explosive players who play like their hair is on fire.  Fun to watch, for sure.

Miles needs to see some run when Calvin is healthy.  Those situations where they play Lattimore and Henderson; Bolwes might want to start considering playing Miles in that hybrid LB'er role.  We dont really have LB'ers who can cover.  Lattimore missed timed both throws to Tye over the middle for big gains. I think Miles can make those types of plays or eliminate the option all together. 

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Film review of the Rontez Miles interception, the game-turning play in the Jets' win over the Giants: Leger Douzable came free on a stunt and pressured Eli Manning. Terrific pass coverage across the board; no one was open. Nice recognition by Miles on the slant route. And a sloppy route by Reuben Randle; he broke off the route for some reason. He made it an impossible throw for Eli.

The coverage on that play was outstanding. The Jets had doubled Randle on that route and if Miles doesn't step in front of Walls, he picks it. Says something when both Jets players had a better chance on that play of catching it than the Giants did. Defense in the 2nd half was awesome.

Honestly the Miles INT in my opinion was a whatever moment when it happened. We got the ball at the 10 yard line and the way our Offense wasn't moving the ball I thought it was a small exciting moment, but nothing more. In my opinion I think coughlin going for it was the right move  he doesn't get it the jets have the ball at the 2 yard line and if he gets it the game is iced. But that's just me  

Looking back on it. Obviously such a huge play by miles since we came back. Good for him. Great moment for him now. He's been making some plays out there the few games his had his chance. 

Archived