Plans A, B and C

varjet

So, if you are Mac and Bowles, there could be three ways to look at the Jets going forward:

Plan A-win as many games as possible in 2016

Plan B-Plan A, but don't fall off the cliff in 2017-2018-so don't do TOO much in 2016 so that 2017 and 2018 are awful.

Plan C (my preference)-build a team that could potentially to to the Superbowl in 2017 or 2018.

So assuming that they should always be drafting BPA (or almost always)-what do you do with each in each Plan?  I think what they end up doing will tell us alot about what Plan they are in;

Wilkerson-

Plans A and B-sign and trade. Use pick on BPA that can help ASAP

Plan C-sign and hold.  

Harrison-

Plans A and B-let walk (they will need the money)

Plan C-sign long term.

Richardson-

Plans A and B-have him play out his contract, with option, then let him walk

Plan C-get as much as you can now by trading him.

Fitzpatrick-

Plans A and B-sign as good as deal as you can, but sign him.

Plan C-let him walk

Giacomini-

All Plans-Cut

Plan A-sign a FA RT that can play better for awhile.

Plan B-draft a RT high (and hopefully can move to LT)

Brick-

Plan A-restructure and push money into 2017.  He is a serviceable LT that Fitz can play with because he gets rid of the ball fast.

Plan B-if they can sign or draft a LT, cut him now and go with that player.

Plan C-cut and use the money for the above.

Draft Picks-

Plans A and B-not necessarily a QB, but be opportunistic.  OL a priority.  Consider a RB high.

Plan C-consider a flyer on hurt or riskly LBs.  Consider a QB in Rd 1.  CBs.  Always OL.

FA-

Plans A and B-fill holes aggressively using restructured money.

Plan C-only on players that will be here in 3-4 years and contribute.

Restructurings

Plans A and B-consider strongly to push out money so that they can afford the signings (home and FA) above.  

Plan C-take salary hits NOW so that they can sign FAs to go with draft picks taken in 2016 and 2017.

The reality is if the Jets go backwards this year, lets say 7-9 or even 6-10, this fanbase will be calling for heads. Its just how it is, and we have a dumb ass owner to boot. So in a lot of ways, our fanbase is our own worst enemy. 

I am not saying Mangini was any good, but after a great first year, most fans wanted him gone the second year, and he was fired in his 3rd year after having a winning record and having his QB's arm fall off to finish out the season with a 1/6 TD/Int ratio. 

Mac and Bowles have no choice but to field as good of a team as they can this year, this fan base will not allow anything different. I agree with your premise whole heartedly, but most do not.

Archived