Jets Linebacker Reilly Ready to Push for More Playing Time?

JetNation

10 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Anyone with eyes could see that Pace, Coples and Davis were all average to mediocre to downright sucking.  Sorry if you missed it.   Again, I am sure it was obvious to most fans that it was time to make a change but Coaches are typically conservative and like to stick with their vets; Bowles eventually recognized changes need to be made and to his credit he made those changes.

if you think this is hindsight that is your opinion and it is wrong.    

Bowles did not pick the players he had available at linebacker last year.  Coples again had a decent year in 14, as did D Davis.  Davis was entering his third season, and if you expected him to suck last year, you were the exception among Jet fans.  I think it fair to say D Davis was the biggest disappointment on the roster last year for most fans. 

Pace to be sure was nearing the end of his playing career, but who was Bowles supposed to give his time to?  Reilly?  Mauldin was a rookie picked in the third round and only showed promise as the year went on.

Your examples do not support the general allegation that Bowles favors older vets too long.

13 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Bowles did not pick the players he had available at linebacker last year.  Coples again had a decent year in 14, as Okay D Davis.  Davis was entering his third season, and if you expected him to suck last year, you were the exception among Jet fans.  I think it fair to say D Davis was the biggest disappointment on the roster last year for most fans. 

Pace to be sure was nearing the end of his playing career, but who was Bowles supposed to give his time to?  Reilly?  Mauldin was a rookie picked in the third round and only showed promise as the year went on.

Your examples do not support the general allegation that Bowles favors older vets too long.

Okay we will agree to disagree.  Yes I definitely would have given some of Pace reps to Reilly.  I don't care that he had a "decent" year in 2014, in 2015 his slippage was there for all to see.  Why not give Reilly more opportunities?   He obviously felt better with a more "proven" veteran player than play a unknown like Reilly. 

First off did you watch Davis even in preseason, he looked slow which was alarming because his strength was supposed to be his speed.  As you said he was entering his third year and you would expect the game to slow down but it seem like the opposite happened and he reaction time or play recognition seemed to regress.  He had Erin Henderson who to me outplayed him in training camp. I would have had Davis a on a shorter leash. I mean he is a new coach and has no allegiance to any of these players, Pace included.

Then there is the Cromartie example which I hadn't even brought up. You may not like my examples but they definitely support my allegation.  

48 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Okay we will agree to disagree.  Yes I definitely would have given some of Pace reps to Reilly.  I don't care that he had a "decent" year in 2014, in 2015 his slippage was there for all to see.  Why not give Reilly more opportunities?   He obviously felt better with a more "proven" veteran player than play a unknown like Reilly. 

First off did you watch Davis even in preseason, he looked slow which was alarming because his strength was supposed to be his speed.  As you said he was entering his third year and you would expect the game to slow down but it seem like the opposite happened and he reaction time or play recognition seemed to regress.  He had Erin Henderson who to me outplayed him in training camp. I would have had Davis a on a shorter leash. I mean he is a new coach and has no allegiance to any of these players, Pace included.

Then there is the Cromartie example which I hadn't even brought up. You may not like my examples but they definitely support my allegation.  

I spoke to Cromartie's situation already in this thread, so I think that has been covered.

Davis v. Henderson as in should have played Henderson more early hardly supports your point.  Henderson is the older vet compared to Davis.

Yes, we will agree to disagree.  Time to move on to another subject.

2 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I spoke to Cromartie's situation already in this thread, so I think that has been covered.

Davis v. Henderson as in should have played Henderson more early hardly supports your point.  Henderson is the older vet compared to Davis.

Yes, we will agree to disagree.  Time to move on to another subject.

Whatever, most folks in this thread tend to agree with me so no point in beating a dead horse.  You can have the last word if it is that important to you. 

3 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

Sorry on the Mauldin issue.  Still Mauldin did not start the rest of the way, and made no plays in the Houston game.

In any event the issue I raised Coples about was regards to whether Bowles favors vets or not.  Coples had a decent year in 14, was a first round draft pick who was in his fourth season.  And cutting him was about him not being a good fit with the D Bowles wanted.  It was not a salary cap issue.  I simply do not see how the way Bowles handled Coples shows that he favored older vets.

If it wasn't a salary cap issue they would have kept him for the rest of the season. However much Coples was or wasn't panning out, he wasn't literally worse - both in terms of production and potential - than what the 53rd roster-bubble player brought to the table. Prior to getting mostly-benched, I'm sure they tried to trade him and even with that 5th yr option locked in at "only" $7M, we got no offers. Coples was cut for cap reasons.

Had he gotten injured, even while playing part time, the Jets would have been on the hook for $7M guaranteed in 2016. This is HUGE and you are waving it off like it's not that important. It's the same reason Washington kept RGIII on the sideline all year; don't tell me he wasn't good enough to be 2nd string (or even 3rd string) on the active roster. 

The Jets surely already knew then they wanted to bring Fitz back (I'd be surprised to learn otherwise), and didn't have him signed yet either. Really, look at the cap situation this offseason, and imagine starting out being locked into another $7M for Coples. Excuse me, an injured Coples. They wanted Coples off the cap with 100% certainty in 2016. The only sure way to do that was to cut him in 2015, and the time to do that with confidence is after Mauldin showed enough to be on the field half the time. That is the rational way to look at it, and it also coincides with actual events as they transpired.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If it wasn't a salary cap issue they would have kept him for the rest of the season. However much Coples was or wasn't panning out, he wasn't literally worse - both in terms of production and potential - than what the 53rd roster-bubble player brought to the table. Prior to getting mostly-benched, I'm sure they tried to trade him and even with that 5th yr option locked in at "only" $7M, we got no offers. Coples was cut for cap reasons.

Had he gotten injured, even while playing part time, the Jets would have been on the hook for $7M guaranteed in 2016. This is HUGE and you are waving it off like it's not that important. It's the same reason Washington kept RGIII on the sideline all year; don't tell me he wasn't good enough to be 2nd string (or even 3rd string) on the active roster. 

The Jets surely already knew then they wanted to bring Fitz back (I'd be surprised to learn otherwise), and didn't have him signed yet either. Really, look at the cap situation this offseason, and imagine starting out being locked into another $7M for Coples. Excuse me, an injured Coples. They wanted Coples off the cap with 100% certainty in 2016. The only sure way to do that was to cut him in 2015, and the time to do that with confidence is after Mauldin showed enough to be on the field half the time. That is the rational way to look at it, and it also coincides with actual events as they transpired.

I have read your posts on this and find them totally unconvincing.  I see no point in discussing this subject further.

• 1 month later...

Archived