Jets let a good one get away?

AFJF

I remember this guy being on the PS but never saw much of him.  Funny (and by funny, I mean sad) that they had this guy as an UDFA and dumped him, but they can't get to the QB.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2016/10/eagles_need_to_be_aware_of_lions_kerry_hyder_forme.html

quick quiz, who's leading the NFC in sacks?

If you guessed the Lions' Kerry Hyder, you either study the league stats was too closely, or you're a die-hard Jets fan who remembers him from the team's 2014 practice squad.

Hyde has five sacks in four games this season, including at least one in every game and will try to extend that streak when the Lions host the Eagles, Sunday at Ford Field.

"I'm happy for him,'' Eagles linebacker Stephen Tulloch, a former teammate of Hyder's, said. "He's a great kid.''

Hyder went undrafted out of Texas Tech in 2014 and then signed with the Jets as a rookie free agent. He didn't make the final 53-man roster, but spent the season on the team's practice squad.

"When the season was over, Rex (Ryan) wasn't there anymore and it was clearly time for me to find a better situation," Hyder told AP in Detroit of leaving the Jets.

It took him time, but he found it.

"He's a scrappy kid, who's really tough,'' Lions head coach Jim Caldwell said of Hyder. "Every time in practice, it seemed like he was in the offensive backfield. He was just always making plays. And he loves the game and loves to play it. He just keeps digging and making things happen.''

Hyder made the Lions' 53-man roster with a good preseason and has gotten the opportunity to play because of starting defensive end Ziggy Ansah's ankle injury.

He's more than made the most of it.

"When he started having the opportunity to play and the success is coming the way it did, it didn't surprise me,'' Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin told the team's website. "If he bites as a puppy, he's going to bite when he's a grown dog. And he's doing that.

"Those guys are all around the league. You have guys all the time that play their way into this league, free agents, seventh-rounders, guys that do that. They come in, they just keep grinding, working at their craft. What you find out is, they're pretty good.'' 

Mark Eckel may be reached at mjeck04@verizon.net. Follow him on Twitter @MarkEckel08Find NJ.com Eagles on Facebook.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

It would be nice to have that gamer Jermey Kerley with Deck out too but you know, NFL Executive of the year had different thoughts. 

I said a few times after the season that the Jets biggest screw ups on offense were burying Kerley and Cumberland.  Kerley is showing what he can do for those fans who forgot, and Cumberland is far from elite, but he's sure as hell good enough to do more than what he was given the opportunity to do last season.

I still like Gailey, but that was some odd decision-making IMO.

It would be nice to have that gamer Jermey Kerley with Deck out too but you know, NFL Executive of the year had different thoughts. 

I was sad when they let Kerley go he was a good reliable target for us. I understand not wanting to pay your backup reciever 4m a year though

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Archived