Mo and Richardson out 1st Quarter

whodeawhodat

10 minutes ago, faba said:

Wilkerson seems to be playing hurt- I hope that is the case at least

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he's not 100% physically.  That would explain his subpar season. There is no excuse however, for putting the coach in the position of having to send a message to you, by sitting you down for a quarter.

He was paid a lot of money to be a cornerstone of the team for years to come. What does it say to the rest of the team when your defensive "leader" alllows himself to let this happen?

And after the game, I can understand not wanting to explain the specifics to reporters.  But, from what I read he basically just left the locker room.  At least have the guts to admit that whatever you did was wrong, and that you let the team down.  That it will never happen again.  

That is what a "leader" would do.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/11/jets_sheldon_richardson_muhammad_wilkerson_miss_te.html#incart_river_index

1 / 17

Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com By Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on November 07, 2016 at 8:38 AM, updated November 07, 2016 at 9:10 AM

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. — Two of the Jets' defensive leaders may not be the best at leading by example. 

A source with knowledge of the situation told NJ Advance Media defensive ends Sheldon Richardson and Muhammad Wilkerson are regularly late or miss team meetings. The source added it happens "all the time," and "definitely" more often than other players on the team. 

It is unclear if this was the reason why Richardson and Wilkerson were benched for the first quarter of the Jets' loss to the Dolphins on Sunday. After the game, coach Todd Bowles wouldn't say anything more than it was a "coach's decision," and would not say if it was for disciplinary reasons.

The Dolphins scored a touchdown on the only complete drive Richardson and Wilkerson missed.  

Richardson had never been benched for disciplinary reasons since being drafted by the Jets in 2013. But Wilkerson, who signed a five-year contract extension for $86 million this offseason, has gotten in trouble for being late to team meetings before. Last season, he was benched and fined for the first quarter against the Giants as a result. 

11 takeaways from Jets' embarrassing loss

11 takeaways from Jets' embarrassing loss

Thoughts, takeaways and observations from the Jets' 27-23 loss to the Dolphins.

The 2016 season hasn't been the kindest to the Jets. The team has fallen apart during a 3-6 start. The offense, low-lighted by Ryan Fitzpatrick's league-high 13 interceptions, can't get out of its own way. The defense, meanwhile, has an abundance of issues. 

Ads by ZINC

The unit has allowed nine plays of 40-plus yards, the secondary six of nine quarterbacks to finish with a rating of 100, and outside of Leonard Williams, the defensive front has been largely invisible. 

Wilkerson, who had 12 sacks a season ago, has 2.5 sacks this year. Richardson has just 1.5. 

After the loss to the Dolphins, Wilkerson left without speaking to the media. Defensive end Sheldon Richardson talked briefly to a small group of reporters. When asked about why he wasn't playing, he said "that was the starting lineup and that's where I was." 

Representatives from Wilkerson and the Jets did not have comment. A representative from Richardson did not return contact. 

Archived