WRs Hammond, Harper, Whitehead, Wilson: Who Makes the Team

Sarge4Tide

"Journeymen" Wide Receivers?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these 4 "Journeymen" wide receivers who have impressed so far has the BEST chance to make the 2017 roster?

• Frankie Hammond 6'1" 184 Florida
    • Chris Harper 5'11" 185 Cal
    • Lucky Whitehead 5'9" 180 FAU
    • Marquess Wilson 6'3" 206 Washington State
    • None of them will be on the Jets 2017 active roster

Four "journeymen" wide receivers have impressed in the early going of Jets camp: Chris Harper, Frankie Hammond, Marquess Wilson, and Lucky Whitehead.

It's still early, but which one of the 4 has the BEST shot at making the 2017 Jets active roster?

18 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Peake is the guy who has to be a bit nervous right now

Of those 6, I'd agree.  Though if I'm not mistaken, It sounds like he's doing decently well out there this camp.  I guess the guy to watch is Chris Harper, apparently he's been balling. If you keep a Hammond Jr. or a Whitehead, you're saving a spot for a sole kick returner and nothing else.  I feel like they'd rather go with Jalin Marshall in that spot since he can actually go play WR too.  Although, he is suspended for a few games, right?  So maybe one of these guys does make the initial roster holding a spot warm for Marshall. 

Jalin Marshall showed a lot of upside last year. Sure, he made some mistakes - who on that team didn't? I don't think you give up on a guy after a handful of mistakes, you just knock him down a notch and coach him back up at the proper pace. Potential is potential.

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

Of those 6, I'd agree.  Though if I'm not mistaken, It sounds like he's doing decently well out there this camp.  I guess the guy to watch is Chris Harper, apparently he's been balling. If you keep a Hammond Jr. or a Whitehead, you're saving a spot for a sole kick returner and nothing else.  I feel like they'd rather go with Jalin Marshall in that spot since he can actually go play WR too.  Although, he is suspended for a few games, right?  So maybe one of these guys does make the initial roster holding a spot warm for Marshall. 

Exactly my thoughts. First of all, Marshall should be out of the equation b/c of the suspension. The Jets will bring 6 WRs onto the roster and then when Marshall's suspension is done they will make a decision on who should go, if anyone. 

As far as the vets, seems to me guys like Whitehead and Hammond have a shot b/c of their return skills. But honestly, I don't have any of them making the roster. One of them would have to shine as a returner and show that they can step in as a receiver if need be. I doubt that will happen. 

The one thing they have going for them is that they (unlike some of the young WRs trying to make the roster) are not PS eligible. I think that will factor into the decision making.

These are my 6 to make the initial roster:

Enunwa, Anderson, Stewart, Hansen, Peake, G.Marks, (Marshall-suspended). 

But as I said, the Jets may be looking at Marks as a PS player. And of course, there's always the chance that an injury will change things. 

Out of the vets, Whitehead has the best chance b/c he is not only capable of returning (although statistically, he was not great on the Cowboys as a returner last year) but he has experience with gadget plays on offense. 

Just now, Tinstar said:

Question.  I know Jalin Marshall and ASJ are both suspended for the start of the season, but is Robbie Anderson also facing a suspension  ?

Nope. Not until his case is resolved. So probably not until next season. 

Archived