Fo_Block's Draft Strategy

LionelRichie

with all of the draft talk on the board i wanted to post a strategy of my own. the following are fo_block's draft thoughts on how the jets should approach the draft:

#1 - draft players that fit your system - pretty straight forward, draft football players who are smart and buy into what is being taught. you don't need 'workout warriors' and highlight makers you need football players (think teddy bruschi vs. lavarr arrington).

#2 - look for the same player later in the draft with much less hype - this is the price/performance ratio. why pay $20M for cutler when croyle costs $1M? if cutler really that much better? the same can be said for d'brick vs. winston, mcneil, justice, whitworth and ngata vs. watson. are the higher rated players 10-15x better to warrant such a significant pay gap? at the end of their rookie contracts what will the pay disparity be?

#3 - never pay an unproven player $20M+ signing bonus unless you are sure he is a pro-bowler. making that mistake is huge and could ultimately cost the GM his job and cripple a team for years. if you are going to select here you better be damn sure that the player is a stud AND fits the system. too many busts in the top 5 when every year these are the can't miss players.

#4 - it takes QB's time to assimilate to the NFL game, college QB's take time to develop (i.e don't be afraid to pull the trigger on Schaub, he is more nfl ready than anyone in the draft)

#5 - never let anyone know who you really want to take and always hype up other players. the jets should spend as much time as they can hyping cutler, d'brick, young, etc... someone has their eyes on those players and wants to move up. the jets need to create as much value for #4 as possible before moving down.

Archived