Meet the Anti Gary Myers

Green Jets & Ham

BERGEN RECORD

By RANDY LANGE

Mike Tannenbaum's nickname as the Jets' assistant general manager was "Mr. T." Now as GM, he might have to be rechristened "Trader Mike."

On one of the most unusual days in Gang Green off-season history, Tannenbaum on Friday first executed a favorable trade for a potential starting quarterback when the Jets successfully waited out Washington and sent a sixth-round pick to the Redskins for Patrick Ramsey.

Then in the main event, Tannenbaum played two-fisted poker with Atlanta and Seattle in an attempt to trade disgruntled defensive end John Abraham.

The first to ante were the Falcons, who were reported to have agreed with Abraham's agents, Tony Agnone and Rich Rosa, on that long-term deal Abraham has coveted the past two seasons.

The next part was proving more difficult: striking a deal for compensation with the Jets, who had franchise-tagged Abraham for the second straight year.

The Falcons, apparently struggling with the concept of "trade", continued to balk at giving up value for one of the NFL's top edge rushers.

They were rumored to be offering their second-round pick, 47th overall, but not their first-rounder, No. 15.

Then Seattle raised. The Seahawks, who had visited with Abraham on Wednesday before he flew to Atlanta for a Thursday-Friday meeting, decided to work the other half of the trade. Before making a contract offer to Abraham, they offered the Jets their first-round pick, 31st overall.

"Seattle has the better offer on the table," an NFL source knowledgeable about the situation said. "What do you do if you're the Jets? You get the most you can in return."

It's believed Abraham prefers Atlanta, which is closer to his South Carolina home. That's where he worked out feverishly all last off-season to be ready to play for the Jets in September under the terms of his first franchise-tag tender.

By the mathematics of a popular draft-value chart, the Falcons would need to kick in a third-rounder to their second-round offer to meet the value of the Seahawks' first-round proposal. Or the Falcons could send the Jets their one while getting back a two or a three to balance the books.

Friday night, all sides were mulling their hands. There was no word if the Seahawks had made headway in contract talks with Abraham's agents or if the Falcons had decided to sweeten their draft-choice package.

The Jets have another option, which is to fold their cards for this hand and retain Abraham. They have five weeks to make a predraft trade, then could still deal him by the sixth week of the regular season for picks in the 2007 draft.

"Sure, that's still possible," the league source said.

The Ramsey trade, meanwhile, is a done deal. The Jets first inquired about the Tulane product (as is Tannenbaum) last year as their QBs began going down with season-ending injuries.

The Redskins originally sought a second-rounder for Ramsey but realized, after he lost his starting job to an opening-day injury and Mark Brunell last season, that getting something for him was better than nothing.

The Jets held firm on a sixth-rounder (with no indications that a conditional pick was included in the deal) and brought in the player they feel can at least compete with Chad Pennington and possibly beat him out for the starting job.

"We always wanted what was best for Patrick," Washington coach Joe Gibbs said, "and in working with him, we feel [the Jets] is where he wants to be."

"I'm grateful the Jets have brought me here to compete," said Ramsey, who presumably celebrated his new job on St. Patrick's Day. "I understand Coach [Eric] Mangini is going to play the best players and that's all I can ask for."

Tannenbaum let bygones be bygones with Washington, which in 2003 signed away four Jets, including restricted free agents Laveranues Coles and Chad Morton.

"I would like to thank the Redskins for their diligence throughout this process," said Tannenbaum, who three years later exacted partial repayment from the Washington "Raiders."

I WOULD

If Jay Cutler is there, I'm still taking him in a heartbeat

Pat Ramsey is a classic HTFG ... HOLD THE FORT GUY ... nothing less and nothing more

If it's my call, he's holding the fort for Jay Cutler

I agree, and that is why I think the Jets want a second first rounder. Besides feeling that Abe is worth another 1st I think that they can grab Cutler, then with one of their next 2 picks get someone that can help out the offense. Be it a RB, WR, TE or OL. Then it is defense with the other of the two picks (1st and early 2nd). jmo.

After what I heard today, unless the Jets trade up, they won't get Cutler. The Titans want him.... badly, even over Leinart.

A friend on Mine in Tennessee heard Norm Chow on sports talk radio down there, and he said Chow was "absolutely gushing" after Cutler's pro day. Chow said he has everthing you want in an NFL QB, there are no holes in his game. The Titans' GM said the same things. They now know Cutler better than anyone, after also having coached him at the senior bowl. I'm afraid we won't get the chance to take him.

If we go QB, it will be Leinart, I think. I don't like his upside as much as Cutler, but I wouldn't be disappointed either. I think Cutler could be the next great NFL QB.... Leinart I think will be a solid NFL QB.

I have a hard time believing that the Jets think Ramsey is the answer. He's Bolly's replacement, nothing more.

Archived