JetNation Prospect Profile: Penn State OT Olu Fashanu

USATSI_21338424.jpg

With the New York Jets in desperate need of help along the offensive line, we take a look at Penn State OT Olu Fashanu ahead of this year’s NFL draft.

Measurements (will be updated after NFL Combine)

Height: 6060e (estimated)

Weight: 317e

Hometown: Washington, DC

High School: Gonzaga

Class/Age: Senior, 21 (December 9th, 2002)

Recruit: ★★★ #45 OT, #6 DC

Film Study: 86.5/100 (First Round Pick)

Games Watched: Illinois (2023), Iowa (2023), Ohio State (2023)

• Balance: 9.0

Rarely “on the ground” (OTG), can occasionally lose balance when he lunges

• Pass Protection: 9.0

Quick to his spot in pass pro, overshoots/lunges occasionally, great “scan”/looking for work, good stunt pickups, 

• Run Blocking: 8.0

Good at first contact but can get redirected, good blocks on pulls 

• Lateral Mobility/Athleticism: 8.5

Solid on the move, rarely gets to 2nd level, very good as puller

• Point of Attack Power: 8.0

Want to see more power on first contact to help him latch on better in the run game

• Hands: 9.0

Good hands lifting into defenders and maintaining good placement, specifically in pass pro

• Anchor: 8.5

Very good anchor to stifle power rushers

• Strength: 8.5

Strong lower half, good leg drive in run game

• Size: 9.5

Good length to keep defenders at bay

• Versatility: 8.5

Can slot in as a LT or RT

Summary:

Olu Fashanu was a 2-year starter for the Penn State Nittany Lions, totaling 20 starts in 2022 and 2023. Across his 681 pass blocking snaps over that time frame, Fashanu did not surrender a single sack, according to PFF.

Prioritizing an offensive tackle with a higher ceiling in pass protection makes the most sense for New York, and if he slips to 10th overall, it would be a “run the card up” scenario for Joe Douglas. Fashanu is an ideal fit for the Jets as they look to keep Aaron Rodgers upright, as he returns from his Achilles injury.

Olu Fashanu would give the offensive line a boost in both talent and age, replacing last year’s Week 1 starter Duane Brown and getting younger at the position by 18 years. A left side comprised of Fashanu, Alijah Vera-Tucker and Joe Tippmann would be a rock solid trio to build from moving forward.

Expect to hear plenty of talk about the likes of Fashanu, Joe Alt, Taliese Fuaga and lots of other offensive tackles in the very near future.

The post JetNation Prospect Profile: Penn State OT Olu Fashanu appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Whether we have a shot at this guy is dependent on what happens to Brock Bowers imo.

If Bowers goes before our pick we have a reasonable shot, if not he will be gone.

Tough to find mocks that have Bowers making it to 10 at the moment.  There are a few out there, but I looked at a ton of mocks the other day and I'd say 90% of them had him going at 5 or 7.  Sadly, the Jets won't have a shot at him.

I'd have the OT's ranked Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga but most of what I've watched from Fashanu was last season.  Jeremiah seems to think he took a step back this year.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Tough to find mocks that have Bowers making it to 10 at the moment.  There are a few out there, but I looked at a ton of mocks the other day and I'd say 90% of them had him going at 5 or 7.  Sadly, the Jets won't have a shot at him.

I'd have the OT's ranked Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga but most of what I've watched from Fashanu was last season.  Jeremiah seems to think he took a step back this year.

I just ran the PFN Mock 3x.

The Jets picked Odunze (Fashanu 2 to DC), Nabers (7 to Titans) and Rome or Bowers (7 to Titans).

Fuaga is rated by PFN in the late teens.  I think the value in this draft at 10 is at offensive playmaker.  We have to find FAs/trades for OL

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I just ran the PFN Mock 3x.

The Jets picked Odunze (Fashanu 2 to DC), Nabers (7 to Titans) and Rome or Bowers (7 to Titans).

Fuaga is rated by PFN in the late teens.  I think the value in this draft at 10 is at offensive playmaker.  We have to find FAs/trades for OL

Eh, I use the PFN mock machine but they've got some insane rankings.  Like, some completely off the wall stuff.

A couple years ago there was a player I watched quite a bit of and thought he was a mid-rounder.  I checked to see where PFN had him ranked and he was somewhere in the mid-500's.  Basically "you don't belong in the NFL" territory and the dude ended up going in the 4th round.

Grain of salt with them. 

I'd look more at guys like Daniel Jeremiah or Rick Spielman.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Eh, I use the PFN mock machine but they've got some insane rankings.  Like, some completely off the wall stuff.

A couple years ago there was a player I watched quite a bit of and thought he was a mid-rounder.  I checked to see where PFN had him ranked and he was somewhere in the mid-500's.  Basically "you don't belong in the NFL" territory and the dude ended up going in the 4th round.

Grain of salt with them. 

I'd look more at guys like Daniel Jeremiah or Rick Spielman.

Jeremiah does not like Fashanu as much as others.  He has him going 13 with the Jets taking Fuaga at 10-so DJ has the Jets passing on Fashanu and Brock Bowers, among others.

The CBS Sports Mock Draft that Spielman contributes to has the Jets taking JC Latham before the Patriots take Brock Bowers. 

I can see this really not working out.  

1 minute ago, varjet said:

Jeremiah does not like Fashanu as much as others.  He has him going 13 with the Jets taking Fuaga at 10-so DJ has the Jets passing on Fashanu and Brock Bowers, among others.

The CBS Sports Mock Draft that Spielman contributes to has the Jets taking JC Latham before the Patriots take Brock Bowers. 

I can see this really not working out.  

Yeah, he's on the CBS sports pod but those are usually done by Ryan Wilson and critiqued by Spielman.  Honestly not sure where he has Bowers going himself but the past couple mocks I've listened to on their pod had him going before pick 10.

Also like to peek at mockdraftable because it compiles a billion different mocks.  Some from garbage sites but it pulls mocks from mainstream draftniks as well.

In the last 15 mocks showing, here's where Bowers goes:

Gone at 10 9 times, goes to the Jets at 10 twice and goes after 10 4 times.