Ricky Wlliams struggles in 2nd CFL game

faba

Blue Bombers stifle Williams, Argonauts

Blue Bombers stifle Williams, ArgonautsJune 24, 2006

WINNIPEG, Manitoba (AP) -- Suspended NFL star Ricky Williams ran for 14 yards on eight carries Friday night in his second regular-season game for the Toronto Argonauts, a 16-9 loss to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Williams, playing in the CFL after he was suspended by the NFL for one year after a fourth positive drug test, also had one catch for a yard. Last Saturday, he ran for 97 yards on 18 carries in Toronto's 27-17 home victory over Hamilton.

"The way the game was going, a running back doesn't get touches unless the offense gets some kind of rhythm and they didn't allow us to get any kind of rhythm," Williams said. "When I do get touches, I've got to do a better job making more out of them."

Former Sacramento State star Charles Roberts, the CFL rushing champion last year, ran for 133 yards and a touchdown for the Blue Bombers. "Our offense played really, really well and we were able to get up early and be able to utilize the run more than they could," Roberts said. "Our defense was a great defense. You can't really just look at Ricky's numbers and say specifically that I outshined him."

So freakin' what? 8 carries for 14 yards. 8 CARRIES. There are some running backs who go out there carry the ball 18 times for 47 yards and bust out 3 15+ yard carries and everyone says yes he had an amazing game because he had those 3 runs. 8 carries for some backs isn't enough to get into the flow of the game. Especially since he had, what? 2-3 weeks of Training Camp / Preseason? In his NFL world this is still the Presesaon.

I was tuning into the montreal allouetes game today on SNY and the camera work is on par with tri-state HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL. I couldn't believe the stands were jam packed, I can't believe the league is still afloat.

The CFL and the residue in Ricky's water bong will always have one thing in common, one way or another, they'll always stay afloat.

Archived