Hutchinson give a professional account

Scott Dierking

change of direction for Jets

Friday, July 28, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- D'Brick ashaw Ferguson showed his speed.

Eric Mangini showed his style. A bizarre opening day of training camp showed these guys definitely aren't the same old Jets.

On a day in which the new head coach wasn't available and player after player made it clear they were not supposed to comment about anything to anyone, Ferguson stole the show.

Upon exiting from the camp cafeteria, Ferguson playfully ran past fans and the media -- ignoring requests for autographs or comments on his new five-year, $27.5 million deal that included slightly less than $18 million in guaranteed money.

The Jets can only hope the 6-6, 315-pound offensive lineman moves that well on pulling plays.

At least Ferguson had fun, gig gling as he ran across the street and to the training facility. There didn't appear to be a whole lot of laughs elsewhere.

"I do as I'm told," guard Bran don Moore said.

"I have to get taped," quarterback Patrick Ramsey said.

"I have an appointment," guard Pete Kendall said.

"Is the PR department around?" quarterback Brooks Bollinger said.

And on and on it went.

Yes, the PR department was around: It asked the media to leave the area after getting a call from team security.

In the past, players have hung around after lunch, talking to fans and media before the start of an afternoon practice.

That practice apparently is in the past.

"It (the atmosphere around Weeb Ewbank Hall) is a feeling of being really focused," said veteran cornerback Ray Mickens, one of three players who spoke with the media and may be facing fines. "It's real intense. I guess it's like that anytime you have a first-year coach. Everybody is out to make a good first impression."

Mickens said he didn't mind it.

"Eric is being himself," Mickens said. "He's a very detail-oriented coach, he definitely studies a lot. He pays attention to the little things. That's what he wants out of us as players. You have to be a reflection of your head coach, and that's what he wants us to become."

Mangini, the youngest head coach in the league at 35, was unavailable for comment. He'll speak today.

The head coach usually addresses the media on the day players report to camp. But this is not business as usual.

Mangini already has shown he plans to do things differently and appears to be modeling his style after his mentor, Patriots coach Bill Belichick. He quizzes players in the hallway on plays. He expects them to know what everyone is doing.

"He's a very strict coach, it's another whole vibe you get," safety Erik Coleman said. "He's a disciplinarian, he expects his players to know everything about the team. I think that's a positive thing. It's pretty intense, everyone's serious about what's going to happen."

Apparently everyone except Ferguson. But here's guessing that might change.

Archived