Cimini Can Write

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Really nice article from Rich. The guy can write when he applies himself.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40077096/aaron-rodgers-update-qwantez-stiggers-draft-journey-jets-notebook

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

If this kid makes it, that would really be something.  Maybe the story of the draft!

Sounds like Bobby Slogans is back at it, btw:

8. 'Jot' this down: Every offseason has a theme. This year, the coaches are preaching J.O.T. -- Just One Thing. They want each player to focus on one area of improvement. Linebacker Quincy Williams revealed his J.O.T. -- ball skills. He said he dropped too many would-be interceptions last season.

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Sounds like Bobby Slogans is back at it, btw:

This is pretty typical stuff for a former-corporate leader. I’m guessing they don’t use teaching mantras for the fry cooks at Hardee’s?

• Haha 3

ESPN Cimini is very different than his usual crap.  There is a reason he doesn’t have a single source in the building but yes when he isn’t trolling he can be good 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Cimini is a pimp. He could never write something this good. But I didn't know until this day that Donnie was Cimini all along.

Tattaglia is a pimp.  Cimini is just a sports writer.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

This is pretty typical stuff for a former-corporate leader. I’m guessing they don’t use teaching mantras for the fry cooks at Hardee’s?

They better not start. I hate waiting to eat. 

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

It's amazing how the talent level of sports writers changes based on how much their opinion agrees with mine.. like why can't they write as well when they disagree with me?!

I came here to say just about the same things you and @Warfish did.

When I saw the thread title my first thought was “Cimini wrote something with a positive slant about the NYJ” had he done the opposite, he’d have been called a hack who writes for a site nobody cares about.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

They better not start. I hate waiting to eat. 

Is there anything worse than hearing “I don’t think it’s ready. I’m going to leave it in the oven another 5-10 minutes” and you’re sitting there at the table staring at an empty plate?

25 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I love the stuff with anonymous sources. 

I presume most folks understand that the "anonymous" sources aren't anonymous to the writer or their employers, right? 

And that any reputable media entity will need to get independent confirmation of that source via another source before they'll publish, right?

And that most of the so-called anonymous sources in sports are the teams PR dept., front office staff, or players themselves.

And that without these sources we'd get a hell of alot less info about what's going on.

Don't get me wrong, dishonesty in the media is a thing, and some media is far, FAR worse about it than others.  

But a source being "anonymous" doesn't mean made up per se.  Even in the cesspool that is NY sports media.  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I presume most folks understand that the "anonymous" sources aren't anonymous to the writer or their employers, right? 

And that any reputable media entity will need to get independent confirmation of that source via another source before they'll publish, right?

And that most of the so-called anonymous sources in sports are the teams PR dept., front office staff, or players themselves.

And that without these sources we'd get a hell of alot less info about what's going on.

Don't get me wrong, dishonesty in the media is a thing, and some media is far, FAR worse about it than others.  

But a source being "anonymous" doesn't mean made up per se.  Even in the cesspool that is NY sports media.  

I’d be shocked if anyone doesn’t understand why anonymous sources are cited by journalists.

Akin to what @jeremy2020 mentioned a few moments ago, the angst over those anonymous sources only occurs when the reader disagrees with what’s been written in the story.

For example, there was a big to do here recently about a Russini/Rosenblatt story where they claimed up to 30 unnamed sources. It was refuted in an OP and in various other threads by someone who posts here saying he knew they fabricated the story.
I found it very amusing that he used an anonymous “source” he claims to have within the organization as his proof.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Anonymous sources are legit when they support what you want to believe. 

• Haha 1

Cimini could always write 

What happened was he covered the team legit, reported the dysfunction and fans, rather than believe that, tore down the source 

That's the world we live in. I don't have to disprove the logic and facts presented against my chosen beliefs, I just have to attack the source 

• Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Anonymous sources are legit when they support what you want to believe. 

They're legit when they've been properly vetted by the standards generally used by most major journalists working for reputable entities, as noted.

They're not legit if not.

Has nothing to do with what I, or anyone else, believes or thinks.  Same way his writing can be evaluated as good or not on it's face, regardless of it's content.

Cimini can write, and is usually good for a few stories each year that are really cool human interest pieces about someone tied to the Jets.  I remember him interacting with us fans 30 years ago in AOL chatrooms, back when that was a thing (I know I'm dating myself here).

What makes me shake my head (or laugh) sometimes is how he'll throw a negative comment into an otherwise "just deliver the news" article, usually at the very end, that seems almost outside the tone of the rest of it.  Maybe he's just jaded after so many years covering this black cloud franchise, or maybe he's savvy enough to know that when he does that he gets the positive/hopeful fans riled up and feeds into the negativity of the other faction.  Either way, paraphrasing the old cliché, there's no such thing as bad attention when you're in the public eye, and this thread is a perfect example.

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

It's always fun watching a collective group who can barely string together two coherent, consistent, logical sentences evaluating the writing skill of professional article writers as if they just won the Pulitzer themselves.

Either you can tell a story or you can’t.

It doesn’t take a well educated person to know a good story teller.

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

Cimini could always write 

What happened was he covered the team legit, reported the dysfunction and fans, rather than believe that, tore down the source 

That's the world we live in. I don't have to disprove the logic and facts presented against my chosen beliefs, I just have to attack the source 

Public distrust of main stream media has never been greater and its warranted.

“News” now means click bait, making up stories, and burying stories that don’t fit the intended narrative.

Maybe you missed the since fired NPR reporter story about the way the NPR works and who they hire?

14 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Really nice article from Rich. The guy can write when he applies himself.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40077096/aaron-rodgers-update-qwantez-stiggers-draft-journey-jets-notebook

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

He's always been the best writer on the beat.  He just rarely has a story worth writing because they're usually a joke and fans get pissed when he tells the truth.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

“News” now means click bait, making up stories, and burying stories that don’t fit the intended narrative.

Maybe you missed the since fired NPR reporter story about the way the NPR works and who they hire?

It's 100% warranted.

Like I tell my kids, the News is like any other TV show.  They need viewers to sell advertising.  Making people angry, scared or confused will keep them tuned in.  Has little to nothing to do with reality.

2 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

So where did you see that? In the media?

He’s been excellent for years and people should appreciate him while they can, actually appears to be a Jets fan but doesn’t hold back on the criticism, ok he occasionally goes way overboard with things like the butt-fumble but his knowledge of this team is unmatched and his Sunday Notes are always informative.

People who complain about what a waste of space this team can be get all bent out of shape when he points out what a waste of space this team can be!….if all he did was rah rah they’d complain he’s a homer

guy can’t  win 

Rich Cimini is one of the few consistently good things about the Jets the last 30 years. His Flight Deck podcast is really good too, always has an interesting array of ex-jets come along.

• Sympathy 1