(8/7) Lange: Jets notebook

Sperm Edwards

Monday, August 7, 2006

Tough marker

Third-round rookie linebacker Anthony Schlegel has had a low-key training camp playing on the second defense behind Jonathan Vilma and Eric Barton as the first defense's 3-4 inside 'backers.

But the Ohio Stater may have started to make a statement with a strong Giants Stadium scrimmage Sunday. His biggest plays: dropping Cedric Houston for no gain on a screen, then rushing Patrick Ramsey into a desperate backpedal and a throwaway, which he swatted backward.

"My dad [Roger] always gave me a grade after games, and he was really tough – he coached 30 years," Schlegel said. "But I just have to go back and watch the film. There definitely were some positive things, but there's always going to be something I messed up on."

Wounded knee

It hasn't been a summer of good health for Jets named Coleman or for the Gang Green secondary in general. Sixth-round rookie cornerback Drew Coleman injured his right knee during situational drills in the second half of the scrimmage.

The Jets didn't comment on Coleman's injury, but he left the locker room on crutches with an inflatable cast and a wrap around his swollen right knee. It is believed he'll need an MRI today.

Coleman will join three other DBs on the sideline: Safety Erik Coleman (flu), who hasn't practiced since the first day of camp, and cornerbacks David Barrett and D.J. Johnson.

Briefs

First draft pick D'Brickashaw Ferguson was called for two false starts. ... The longest first-half pass was Ramsey's 30-yarder to WR Reggie Newhouse. ... The running games weren't as impressive as the passing attacks. Derrick Blaylock had 12 carries for 25 yards for the Greens, Houston five carries for 8 yards for the Whites. ... Today's Hofstra practice is scheduled for 2 o'clock, followed by two-a-days Tuesday and Wednesday.

-- Randy Lange

Archived