Jets' Coles thrives under radar-USA Today

SoFlaJets

Jets' Coles thrives under radar

New York Jets wideout Lavernues Coles ranks second in the NFL for receiving yards after gaining more than 100 during a win on Sunday.

By Tom Pedulla, USA TODAY

It's almost impossible to be largely overlooked in a massive media market such as New York, and yet that is Laveranues Coles' plight.

The New York Jets' primary threat heads into Sunday's game against the visiting Detroit Lions ranked second in the NFL with 537 receiving yards, only 15 yards fewer than the Lions' Roy Williams.

He is tied with New Orleans Saints rookie running back Reggie Bush for third with 38 catches, behind the Arizona Cardinals' Anquan Boldin (40) and the Houston Texans' Andre Johnson (39).

But most of the time it is left to Coles' teammates to salute him since he seems to make the national sports highlight shows infrequently and is rarely mentioned among the premier players at his position.

"I've always thought he's a top receiver in this league," Jets quarterback Chad Pennington says of the seven-year veteran. "He is just not flashy. He is a blue-collar, hardworking receiver who is very tough. His toughness and physicalness is what separates him from a lot of receivers."

Says fellow wideout Jerricho Cotchery: "We feed off each other, but mostly we feed off that guy. He's a true warrior. He plays hurt. He's a tough guy who makes plays. Eventually, people are going to be considering him as one of the great receivers in the league."

Coles points to the success of the Indianapolis Colts' Marvin Harrison and the Dallas Cowboys' controversial Terrell Owens before saying, "You look at those guys, and it's just hard to put myself on a level with them. I'm just elated to be in the league and be a wide receiver."

Coles slipped to the third round of the 2000 NFL draft amid concerns about his character. He was dropped from the Florida State football team as a senior after he and then-teammate Peter Warrick were observed on a surveillance camera being given an improper discount on clothing purchased at a department store. They were arrested and charged with a third-degree felony, which was reduced to petty theft.

He shed light on his difficult youth when he revealed last season that he was sexually abused at gunpoint while he was in middle school by a man who was then married to his mother, Sirretta Williams. He discussed the matter on The Oprah Winfrey Show because he hoped his coming forward might help other victims.

Coles' past might help explain the ferocity he brings every Sunday, allowing him to play much bigger than his 5-11, 193-pound frame.

"He's a go-to guy who makes play after play, game after game," Jets coach Eric Mangini says. "His toughness is a real example for everybody."

Cornerbacks who think they can manhandle him to keep him from releasing at the line of scrimmage typically find themselves on the losing end of that battle.

"He's the type of receiver you'd rather see in press coverage than in off coverage," Pennington says, "because he creates separation with his physicality."

Coles' headiness and grit were on display when his five catches for a game-high 106 yards and two scores led a 20-17 victory Sunday against the visiting AFC East rival Miami Dolphins.

After running a succession of slant patterns and getting defensive back Eddie Jackson to sit on that route, he urged offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer to take a deep shot on a slant-and-go. It went for a 58-yard touchdown.

"They were taking away my short and intermediate routes," Coles says. "When guys are starting to sit on you, you need to run by them at least one time."

He outfought the defender, Travares Tillman, for his second TD, a 22-yard score. Coles was surprised Pennington made the throw because the area around him was so congested he did not have a clear view of the quarterback.

"I saw his arm ****ed," Coles says, "and I said, 'I need to make a play.' And I went and got the ball."

Posted 10/17/2006 10:44 PM ET

Archived