JETS ARTICLES - FRI 10/27

Sperm Edwards

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sphow274949666oct27,0,6269781.column?coll=ny-jets-print

Not easy to block Mount Washington

Johnette Howard

SPORTS COLUMNIST

October 27, 2006

The subject was Big Ted Washington, the Cleveland Browns' venerable nose tackle, a man who is listed at 365 pounds; speculation rages that he's probably closer to 375, maybe even 400. We're talking Sumo territory. And thrown into Washington's way this Sunday will be Jets center Nick Mangold, a rookie who weighs in at a svelte 300 and looks more like an Amish farmboy with his shoulder- length blond hair and that two-inch-long beard he's been growing since training camp.

When asked yesterday if he has any advice for young Mangold, Jets linebacker Matt Chatham smiled and said, "Eat your Wheaties."

"Advice?" repeated Jets guard Pete Kendall. "Not unless Nick can gain 50 pounds between now and Sunday."

For someone as accomplished as Washington, a 16-year veteran of NFL mosh pits, the idea of going against any rookie, even one who's acquitted himself as well as Mangold, has to be delectable.

The best nose tackles in the NFL - and Washington is one of the best ever - have a long and eccentric history of being fun off the field but very hard on the poor stiffs who are put in front of them.

Before Super Bowl XXXV, Giants defensive end Michael Strahan joked that Baltimore's enormous nose tackle, Tony Siragusa, ate so constantly that he used to leave chicken bones out on the field. "Chicken bones?" Siragusa snorted as if insulted. "Those would be quarterback bones."

Kevin Mawae, the perennial All-Pro whom Mangold replaced this season as the Jets' starting center, used to hate playing the immovable Washington because of the great opportunity for public embarrassment. And it's easy to empathize. While centers such as Mawae or Mangold have to be nimble enough to do a lot of things, a nose tackle's job is simple: Plant yourself in the middle, then try to impersonate a small foothill.

After looking at recent still photos of Washington, I'm not saying the man is big, but there's 10 bucks here that says when he gets into the whirlpool at the Browns' complex, everyone else yells, "Tsunami!"

"I don't want to hazard a guess on his weight," Kendall said, "just in case he's sensitive."

Good point.

Siragusa was fined $10,000 in 2001 for intentionally belly-flopping on Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon and knocking him out of the AFC title game, a pancake scene that one writer compared to the Hindenburg falling on a kitten.

Washington, who has been accused by Mawae of the same move, dislikes talking to the media so much, he sprayed disinfectant around his locker when reporters approached him a few weeks back to talk about his slow start with Cleveland. That was a week after an anonymous NFL coach caused a stir by saying the 38-year-old Washington "is retired but he doesn't know it."

Washington responded with his best game of the season as the Browns lost to Baltimore, 15-14.

Now Mangold and the Jets face Washington just as they're making progress. And if you think about it, what Mangold is being asked to do is a bit preposterous: Try to overcome a 60- or 75- or 100-pound weight disadvantage against a marvel of heft and agility.

When Kendall was asked if he ever got to, say, the third quarter of a game against Washington and thought "this is just stupid," Kendall deadpanned, "Usually you find that out in the beginning of the game when everybody's fresh. I remember I played against him last year when he was with Oakland. He's so strong it's just like, 'Gawd awmighty, I can't believe this ... "'

"The thing is, he's a really scary-looking guy," said Chatham, a former teammate in New England. "But then he's got such a light, funny side to him, he really catches you off guard. When you come toward him in the hallway, he looks like he might eat you. Then all of a sudden, he cracks a joke."

Mangold has to hope for the nice Ted, the near-retirement Ted, on Sunday.

Failing that, the rookie said, "Help would be nice."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets274949667oct27,0,4630251.story?coll=ny-jets-print

Master plan: Wing it

Running no-huddle is tricky but it works, thanks to Chad's savvy

BY TOM ROCK

Newsday Staff Writer

October 27, 2006

Early in training camp, Jets players were subjected to a presentation on the history of the no-huddle offense. The lesson focused on the origins of the philosophy and traced it to the Sam Wyche-coached Bengals of the 1980s, the Jim Kelly Bills of the early '90s and the modern-day Colts under traffic cop Peyton Manning.

The students of that summertime history lesson have become the latest chapter in the story. The Jets now are one of the many NFL teams that use the no-huddle, and lately they have been successful. About half of their meaningful plays this season have come from either a strict no-huddle or, more commonly, a "muddle huddle," in which players gather loosely about five yards behind the ball and await instruction from quarterback Chad Pennington. The wrinkle keeps defenses from shifting personnel and recognizing packages, but it also is a complicated symphony of shifts, reads, options and sequences that requires extra concentration by the offense as it promotes confusion among the defense.

"I really liked it from my days with Ted [Marchibroda], and as a defensive coach, understanding the pressure that it put on," Jets coach Eric Mangini said of adapting the style he and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer have developed. "It was us talking about it and wanting to move toward that as a system."

The key has been the ability of Pennington to manage the game, a skill that has never caused the Jets as much concern as his right shoulder has. Pennington ran a no-huddle at Marshall and always has been considered one of the brightest quarterbacks in the league. Now, at 30 and with the perspective of two possible career-ending surgeries behind him, he is fully prepared to orchestrate the offense.

"There's an awful lot of stuff that Chad has to manage," guard Pete Kendall said. "He has to get the play call, the formation, be aware of the play clock and everybody's alignment. Then he has to call the cadence. There's a lot of things there that you can lose one piece or another and have a bad play, and Chad's been very efficient with that this year."

The Jets use the no-huddle the way a basketball team would use the fullcourt press, as a way to force mistakes, change tempo and confuse opponents.

They first tried the no-huddle early in the preseason game against the Redskins, and it resulted in a 23-play drive. That seemed to whet Mangini's and Schottenheimer's appetite for what it would allow them to do.

They used it effectively against the Titans in the Week 1 win; then, when trailing the Patriots, they really put it to the test. In that game, the Jets ran 65 plays, 41 without a formal huddle.

Against the Colts, they went no-huddle 36 times in 63 plays, drawing ire from coach Tony Dungy about their borderline illegal substitutions and quick snaps. It forced Indianapolis to use all its second-half timeouts with 9:11 left in the game and nearly kept Manning from leading two comeback drives.

The split has been more balanced in recent weeks - almost down the middle in yards and plays in the wins over the Dolphins and Lions - as the Jets try to keep opponents guessing. Pennington has looked comfortable juggling his many tasks, even though his passing yardage has not reached the 300-yard levels he posted early in the season.

"I take pride in being able to manage a game effectively, because what that means to me is that you understand how to win the game," he said. "A lot of times, when you manage the game correctly, the stats don't reflect it."

Except for the most important stat of all: wins.

Notes & quotes: Mangini said CB David Barrett (hip) is making progress but that in recent weeks the injury occasionally "flared up" ... Having a bye at the exact midpoint of the regular season seems optimal, but Mangini downplayed the timing, saying, "The break is nice whenever you get it." ... The Jets added DE Shaun Ellis (back) and T Anthony Clement (back) to the injury report. Both practiced yesterday and are questionable for Sunday.

http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=315695

Crennel, Mangini: Belichick disciples

By STEVE DOERSCHUK REPOSITORY SPORTS WRITER

BEREA - The apple doesn't fall far from the tree ... or is it the chicken parmesan?

It's Bill Belichick reunion week, with former Belichick defensive coordinators Eric Mangini and Romeo Crennel as Jets and Browns head coaches meeting Sunday in Cleveland.

Mangini added some spice Thursday by sending a lunch spread from Bucci's to the Browns' media room.

It was a nod to his odd 1990s roots as a Browns public relations intern. One of his jobs was delivering pizza to beat reporters on Wednesdays. Another was running Bucci's orders to Belichick and his Browns coaches.

Bucci's, about a mile from the Browns' complex, is older than Mangini, 35, a ripe pick from the Belichick vine.

Mangini was a brilliant business student at Wesleyan University who swiftly realized he preferred football to finance. He put out NFL feelers and came to Cleveland on a flyer, taking a training camp job as ball boy because it was a way onto a field.

Mangini talked his way into a job as a public relations intern. When that term expired, Belichick asked his boss, Kevin Byrne, "What are you doing with the kid from Wesleyan?"

Belichick, a Wesleyan graduate, was looking for a success-obsessed kid to do the dirty jobs and break down an eternity of game films.

Mangini rose through the ranks, much the way former Canton McKinley quarterback Josh McDaniels, now Belichick's New England offensive coordinator, did.

By 2001, Crennel was Mangini's boss in New England. After they won a third Super Bowl together, Crennel went to Cleveland and Mangini became Belichick's defensive coordinator. The Patriots reached the playoffs despite numerous obstacles, prompting the Jets to pursue Mangini.

Mangini went to New England with Belichick in 2000. Crennel didn't join them until 2001 because he had been Cleveland's defensive coordinator in 2000.

"I lived with Eric and his wife for about five months," Crennel said. "The house I decided to purchase in New England was under construction.

"I was going to live in a hotel, but he asked me to say with his family because they had enough room. We drove to work on some days. We went out to dinner and had dinner in the house. It was a nice relationship."

They stay in touch.

"I'll ask about his daughters and grandchildren," Mangini said. "He'll ask about my kids. He is a really good human being."

Another of Mangini's friends, former Patriots coach Jeff Davidson, was named offensive coordinator of the Browns on Tuesday.

"Jeff is a real smart, detailed, innovative, hard-working guy," Mangini said. "One thing that impressed me was that even though he came from the offensive line background, he was always trying to learn about the passing game.

"He eventually transitioned to the tight ends. He is constantly trying to hone his craft."

Mangini is the youngest head coach in the league. He has the second-youngest offensive coordinator, Brian Schottenheimer, next to McDaniels in New England.

Inheriting a team that went 4-12, he seemed doomed to a rough first season, but the Jets come to Cleveland with a 4-3 record.

One of the wins was 20-17 against Nick Saban's Dolphins. Pundits thought Saban would be this year's Belichick-era Brown who broke through as a head coaching star, but it's Mangini who is turning heads.

It's anybody's guess what would have happened had Mangini accepted Crennel's invitation to coordinate Cleveland's defense last year.

Crennel says Mangini was close to saying yes.

"I really believe in Romeo," Mangini said. "I worked with Phil Savage as well, and I know how good he is.

"At that point, I knew the organization was going in the right direction and building something special. It was intriguing. I just felt if was the best decision for me and my family to stay in New England."

The stay ended abruptly.

Now, Mangini will be Crennel's house guest, in a manner of speaking, having no choice but to assume a home-wrecking role.

Crennel's team is 1-5, needing desperately to avoid a second home loss to a first-year NFL head coach.

Reach Repository sports writer Steve Doerschuk at (330) 580-8347 or e-mail: steve.doerschuk@cantonrep.com

The Cuyahoga kid

Jets Head Coach Eric Mangini has numerous direct and indirect ties to Cleveland. Among them:

n His wife, Julie, is the sister of Indians General Manager Mark Shapiro.

n In Mangini's first official year as a Browns assistant coach, 1995, Mike Tannenbaum worked in the Browns' scouting department. Now, Tannenbaum is the Jets' general manager.

n Mangini's boss in New England from 2001-04 was Browns Head Coach Romeo Crennel.

n Mangini's offensive coordinator, Brian Schottenheimer, is the son of former Browns Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer.

n His defensive line coach, Denny Marcin, was a coach at Lakewood St. Edward High School from 1964-73.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1161938530225110.xml&coll=2&thispage=2

Browns have unknown commodity

No one knows what new coordinator will do, including opposition

Friday, October 27, 2006

Tony Grossi

Plain Dealer Reporter

What if the Browns' offense came out Sunday against the New York Jets, lined up in a conventional three-receiver formation, and then shifted to have Joshua Cribbs move under center?

Wouldn't that be something?

Or what if they lined up on the first play in a power I-formation, isolated tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. in single coverage and threw to him deep on a go route?

Haven't seen that before.

Or what if they just came out in a no-huddle mode and kept the Jets on their heels, pecking away at them down the field?

You get the idea. The canvas is clean. New play-caller Jeff Davidson can paint it anyway he wants. And his advantage is that nobody knows what he'll do. There's no body of work with his name attached.

Not even Jets coach Eric Mangini can predict what he'll see from Davidson on Sunday. Davidson and Mangini were assistants with the New England Patriots with Bill Belichick, and Mangini thought well enough of Davidson to try to hire him as his offensive coordinator before this season.

"I worked with Jeff for a long time at the other place," Mangini said of Jets-rival New England.

"He is a real smart, detailed and hard-working guy. He is innovative.

"One of the things that impressed me about Jeff was that even though he came from the offensive-line background, he was always trying to learn about the passing game. He eventually transitioned his work to the tight ends. He is constantly trying to hone and develop his craft."

Nobody is saying what immediate changes Davidson will bring to the Browns' offense in his first game as the successor to Maurice Carthon. Judging from the sparkle in the eyes of the maligned offensive linemen, a renewed commitment to the running game is a foregone conclusion.

But as far as innovations that eluded Carthon, we may glean some ideas from the Jets' offense.

The Jets utilize a controlled no-huddle offense about half the time. They are not shy about using gimmick plays, often involving rookie Brad Smith, a converted quarterback from Missouri.

"I'm not surprised," Browns coach Romeo Crennel said, "because Eric told me if he ever got a [head coach] job he would do everything on offense that's hard on a defense, and that's what he's doing."

Brian Schottenheimer - Marty's son - was hired by Mangini to run the Jets offense after Davidson opted to stay in Cleveland after a promotion to assistant head coach. Schottenheimer's flair for fun and creativity on offense comes from playing three years for Steve Spurrier at the University of Florida.

The Jets have three rookie starters on offense. They have a rookie head coach and a rookie coordinator. They have a quarterback coming off his second rotator cuff surgery and no established workhorse running back. Yet they currently rank 12th in the league in points per game - and that includes a game in which they were shut out by Jacksonville.

It's safe to assume that Mangini expected the same kind of offensive unpredictability from Davidson, who learned alongside Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis, the creative mind behind Belichick's three Super Bowl teams with New England.

The challenge facing Davidson is trying to incorporate some new wrinkles in one week without overloading his players.

Crennel said he did not feel the need to caution Davidson about doing too much too soon.

"I know he'll be concerned about what the players can do," Crennel said. "I think he'll try to give them the best chance to be successful. If that means not giving them too much, he won't. If he thinks they can handle a lot, he might give them more."

So we shouldn't rule out some interesting new wrinkles immediately, then?

"That is a possibility," Crennel said.

Receiver Braylon Edwards said Thursday that Davidson already has introduced changes - some subtle and some dramatic.

"We're still running the same offense," Edwards said. "You can't have a guy come in in the middle of a season and change the whole offense around, but we are utilizing some things we haven't been."

Mangini said Davidson believes in attacking a defense's weaknesses.

In the case of the Jets, that sums up the unit in its entirety. They are 30th in yards allowed per game, 28th against the rush, 32nd in sack percentage and 27th in points per game.

How will the Browns' offense look under Davidson? For now, one can only imagine the possibilities.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/465595p-391767c.html

Don't be shocked if Cleveland rocks

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Let's be honest: the Browns stink on offense. They're also in disarray, having changed play-callers this week.

An easy mark for the Jets? Maybe not. They suspect the Browns will be energized by the switch to offensive line coach Jeff Davidson, who replaced coordinator Maurice Carthon. After 1-1/2 seasons of offensive futility, Carthon resigned under pressure Tuesday.

"For them, it can go one of two ways," LB Jonathan Vilma said. "They can either fold it up, call it a day and fold up the season, or they can rebound from it, try to fight and try to make a playoff run. We feel they'll probably go with the latter and really try to make a statement at home."

The Browns are ranked 32nd in total offense, and they've topped the 17-point mark only once in six games. But the change to Davidson seems to have boosted team morale. Carthon wasn't popular among the players, many of whom trashed him this week in the Cleveland papers.

"Anything that is new tends to reinvigorate people a little bit," Jets LB Matt Chatham said. "I'm sure they're having one of their best weeks of practice and they've recharged the battery."

Davidson is a first-time play-caller, so he has no tendencies for the Jets to study. They suspect that, as an offensive line coach, he will try to emphasize the running game, taking some pressure off mistake-prone QB Charlie Frye.

notebook.gif

ONE-MAN'S GANG: Coach Eric Mangini has lightened up the last two weeks. Instead of practicing in full pads on Wednesday and Thursday, as they did early in the season, the Jets have gone to "shells" (helmet and shoulder pads) on Thursday. Players say it has made them fresher.

Was that a response to input from the players? Not exactly, according to LG Pete Kendall, one of six captains - a group that meets every week with Mangini to discuss team issues.

"It's not a democracy here," Kendall said, smiling. "It's not like Congress, where if two-thirds of the captains like something, it gets overturned. It doesn't work quite like that.

"It's a dictatorship - a benevolent dictatorship."

SHOWING IMPROVEMENT: DE Shaun Ellis (back) and RT Anthony Clement (back) were added to the injury report, but they should be fine. They both practiced and they're both listed as probable. ... Mangini hinted that CB David Barrett (hip), RB Cedric Houston (knee) and C Trey Teague (ankle) could be ready to return.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/465594p-391763c.html

Chad thinking on his feet

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

64-pennington_chad.JPG

It was a second-and-16 from the Jets' 47-yard line. Chad Pennington fired a 15-yard "out" to Laveranues Coles, who made a diving catch along the Lions' sideline. While the entire stadium marveled and wondered about the play - Wow! But did he stay inbounds? - Pennington's mind already was on to the next down.

Not giving the Lions any time to challenge the play or set their defense, Pennington rushed the Jets' offense to the line, called his own number and picked up the first down with a quarterback sneak. The Lions looked completely befuddled.

"That was a huge swing in the game," rookie Kellen Clemens, one of Pennington's understudies, said yesterday. "That was all Chad, keeping on top of things mentally."

Eric Mangini calls them "Chad plays," and there are usually a handful in each game - awareness plays in which the savvy Pennington finds clever ways to outfox the opponent. He's the football version of Tom Glavine: He won't blow you away with his fastball, but he still finds a way to get you.

A cerebral quarterback often gains a reputation for being a "game manager." Some believe that label has a negative connotation, as it sometimes conjures up images of journeyman passers with marginal arms, but Pennington doesn't mind it at all.

"I take pride in being able to manage a game effectively, because what that means to me is that you know how to win the game," said Pennington, who takes a 25-19 career starting record into Sunday's game at the Browns (1-5).

Pennington has good, if not stellar statistics - he's the eighth-rated passer in the NFL - but there are no numbers that quantify the way he has operated Brian Schottenheimer's no-huddle offense. The controlled no-huddle puts an enormous strain on the quarterback, but there haven't been many glitches.

Consider his to-do list before every play:

Receive the play from the sideline; relay the call, the formation and the cadence without the benefit of a huddle; make sure the other 10 players are aligned properly; read the defense and decide whether to check into another play.

All in less than 40 seconds.

"It's a new offense for everybody," Clemens said, "but Chad already is playing like a guy who has been in this offense for a few years."

Pennington has found ways to create hidden yardage. At times, he will use a hard count, attempting to draw the defense offsides. Hey, it works; he has drawn 11 offsides flags this season, including three in last week's win over the Lions.

"I think quarterbacks can use cadence as an effective tool to gain free yards," Pennington said.

If he senses fatigue or a lack of focus by the defense, Pennington will shift into a hurry-up, trying to catch the defense in a weak moment. He can force the defense to burn a timeout (that happened twice against the Colts) or he can run a quick play, hoping to catch the defense in snooze mode.

Pennington did that at the Lions' 3-yard line, calling a quick pass to Jerricho Cotchery. It nearly worked. Cotchery dropped the ball. Otherwise, he would've walked into the end zone.

According to Pennington, an effective game manager understands the importance of third-down situations, the turnover battle and field position. He also must be able to identify the strengths and weakness in a defense.

Pennington spends an inordinate amount of time in preparation; he's often the last player to leave the facility.

It's 10 p.m. Do you know where your quarterback is?

"He studies all the time," Mangini said. "He's here all the time."

Said Clemens: "He likes to have all the answers."

The rookie paused.

"For the most part," Clemens said, "he does."

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/football/nfl/cleveland_browns/15861854.htm

Mystery illness plagues Tucker

Butler most likely to start at right tackle against Jets

Tucker is being treated for an unspecified malady ``on an outpatient basis,'' coach Romeo Crennel said Thursday.

Tucker is being treated for an unspecified malady ``on an outpatient basis,'' coach Romeo Crennel said Thursday.

Tucker's absence means Kelly Butler probably will get his first start as a member of the Browns. He started 16 games last season with the Detroit Lions but was waived after training camp this season. The Browns claimed him.

Butler is 6-foot-7, 334 pounds and was considered a player with potential when he started three years at Purdue University (after redshirting for a season).

He left for the NFL after his junior season, then was arrested twice in one day -- for public intoxication and driving with a suspended license -- before the NFL Draft.

That dropped him to a sixth-round pick, where he was considered a steal. Butler was inactive with the Lions for most of the 2004 season.

Butler apparently has moved ahead of Nat Dorsey, whom the Browns picked up a year ago but who never has overcome weight problems to get into the lineup.

``I put a value on experience -- good experience particularly,'' Crennel said. ``Kelly started 16 games last year. That says he knows a little about playing the game and knows how to handle himself with things that may come up in the game.

``That goes a long way, I believe.''

Butler is well-spoken and does not seem like the kind of player who will have continued problems. Asked to describe himself, he replied: ``Smart player. Try to be physical. Try not to make too many mistakes.''

He will line up against Shaun Ellis, a former first-round pick who is one of the Jets' better defenders. In 2003 and 2004, Ellis had 3 ½ sacks but dropped to 2 ½ last season.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10272006/sports/jets/cotchery_catching_on_as_a_big_time_player_jets_brian_costello.htm

COTCHERY CATCHING ON AS A BIG-TIME PLAYER

By BRIAN COSTELLO

October 27, 2006 -- Jerricho Cotchery entered this season, his third with the Jets, with 25 catches and no touchdowns in 28 games. Through seven games this season, the wide receiver has 30 catches for 418 yards and three scores.

Head coach Eric Mangini singled out his 24-year-old receiver yesterday for some praise.

"A guy that I'm continually impressed with is Jerricho," Mangini said. "He's a guy who really made his way as a special teams player and then slowly developed, got a few more opportunities, and then this year got some opportunities, and he really took advantage of them at training camp.

"Now that he's playing quite a bit more, he continues to take advantage of those opportunities and create more. And his run blocking has been outstanding, his run after the catch, his toughness, his approach, his professionalism."

Cotchery is seventh in the AFC in receiving yards and tied for ninth in receptions with Cincinnati's Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh. Last week against Detroit, Cotchery led the team with seven catches for 79 yards.

The Jets are in an interesting position trying to game plan for Cleveland's offense. On Monday, Browns offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon resigned and was replaced by Jeff Davidson, a first-time coordinator, who Mangini tried to hire last winter.

The Browns are ranked last in offense in the NFL, but the Jets now have to prepare to see different wrinkles brought by Davidson.

"It's really a guessing game at this point," linebacker Matt Chatham said. "(Davidson) is a very bright guy, he has a really great offensive mind and he has weapons to work with, there are a lot of guys on that team who can make plays. It's really interesting and we're kind of in an unfortunate situation because we have the first shot and we really don't know what is going to be there."

Mangini poked some fun at himself yesterday when a reporter pointed out that the talk of his age has died down from the preseason. The 35-year-old said he enjoyed some of the jokes made at his expense.

"There was actually some funny age references, I thought," he said. "I don't know who had them, but put a sandbox in the facility, that was one of my favorites; the only head coach that needed balloons at his birthday party, that was a good one. That's good stuff."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10272006/sports/jets/ted_alert_jets_brian_costello.htm

TED ALERT

By BRIAN COSTELLO

jets114a.jpg

GOODLUCK, ROOK: Jets rookie center Nick

Mangold (6-foot-3, 300 pounds) received

advice on how to battle Browns behemoth

Ted Washington: "Try not to be on the

bottom of the pile."

October 27, 2006 -- Against the Browns this Sunday, Jets center Nick Mangold will face the biggest challenge - literally - of his rookie season.

Staring at him across the ball will be Ted Washington, the behemoth nose tackle who is listed at 6-foot-5, 365 pounds, but who is probably closer to 400 pounds.

"(It's) another huge challenge," Mangold said yesterday. "You guys have seen him. He's a dominating guy in the middle there. It's going to be a long 60 minutes."

The 6-foot-3, 300-pound Mangold said he'll turn to some teammates, who have faced Washington before, for advice.

Here's a sampling of that advice in the locker room yesterday:

"Try not to be on the bottom of the pile," guard Pete Kendall said.

"Eat your Wheaties," said linebacker Matt Chatham, who played with Washington in New England in 2003.

Mangold will not be facing Washington alone. Jets coach Eric Mangini promised they would give the big man different looks, but the brunt of it will fall on Mangold.

The match-up is a key one in Sunday's game. The Jets' run game showed signs of life against Detroit last week, gaining 221 yards. In order to duplicate that success, the Jets will have to control the middle of the Browns' defense, starting with Washington.

"The big thing I keep hearing is how strong he is," Mangold said. "Looking at him, you can believe it, but I think it's one of those things that it's really going to hit home when we're out there."

This will be Mangold's eighth NFL game, and Washington's 222nd, so the experience edge is a huge one. Even veterans have struggled with Washington, though. When Kevin Mawae was with the Jets, Washington was one of the opponents he hated the most.

Washington even accused Mawae of breaking his leg at the bottom of a pile in 2003.

"The fact that he's been able to play that many years at that size," Kendall said, "you would hope as an offensive lineman that things would average out in the end - if you're going to be that big, you're not going to play that long. No such luck for us."

The Jets took Mangold, out of Ohio State, in the first round (29th pick overall) of April's draft, making him the first center taken in the draft. He was expected to battle Trey Teague in training camp for the starting spot, but Teague broke his left ankle in June, forcing Mangold into the starting role.

So far, so good, his coach said.

"There are things, like with every rookie, that he's getting used to and looks that he's seeing," Mangini said, "but he's doing a really good job coming up, identifying fronts, understanding what those fronts mean, understanding how the whole offensive line fits based on that front. He played a lot of football in college.

"He's been a starter for a long time, and he's really done a good job with that role here."

Mangold said he's always been the "little fat kid stuck on the line," and he is OK with his other more celebrated teammates getting all the glory.

"(On the line) you're not in the game for any reason other than the love of the game," he said. "For me, I feel satisfied when the skill guys make big plays and they do everything and you see their names up in the stats.

"That's when I know, as an offensive line, we did our job."

brian.costello@nypost.com

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061027/SPORTS01/610270415/1108/SPORTS01

Jets' center faces big test

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original Publication: October 27, 2006)

HEMPSTEAD — Nick Mangold can look all he wants at the Browns' roster, which lists nose tackle Ted Washington at 6-foot-5 and 365 pounds. The estimate in the Jets' locker room yesterday was that the 16-year pro is at least 400 pounds.

But until Mangold lines up against the four-time Pro Bowler Sunday at Cleveland, the 6-4, 300-pound rookie center won't really know what he's up against. He does know he's never faced anybody as massive, either in the NFL or while at Ohio State.

"You guys have seen him, he's a dominating guy in the middle there, it's going to be a long 60 minutes," Mangold said. "The big thing that I keep hearing is how strong he is. Looking at him, you can believe it. It's one of those things that will really hit home when we're out there."

Jets veteran left guard Pete Kendall had some succinct advice for Mangold: "Try not to be on the bottom of the pile."

Though the 38-year-old Washington has 34 1/2 career sacks, he has not had one since 2004, when he was with the Raiders. He has 24 tackles this season, including one for a loss, and he's still a prototypical run stuffer.

"You would hope, as an offensive lineman, things would average out in the end," Kendall said. "If you're going to be that big, you can't play that long. But no such luck for us."

But this is the lot Mangold has accepted since his youth football days. He's always been a lineman.

"The little, fat kid that was stuck on the line," said Mangold, picked 29th overall in this year's NFL draft. "You're not in the game for any reason other than love of the game."

Which means the best way to get noticed is not to be noticed.

And other than mistakenly blocking downfield and having his 5-yard, illegal-receiver penalty nullify a 13-yard shovel pass from Chad Pennington to rookie running back Leon Washington in a 28-20 win at Buffalo on Sept. 24, Mangold has not committed any infractions.

"I think you want that with any rookie," Jets coach Eric Mangini said. "When you're not hearing their name called very often, that usually means good things, and Nick's name isn't called that often."

But Mangold is in charge of calling the signals for the offensive line.

"Probably the highest compliment that anybody could give him is he's come in and, to me, he's played like he's been here before," Kendall said. "I was prepared, if the game got a little too big or too fast for him at times, to try to help out if I could. But it hasn't come up. I have some input on the sidelines. I talk with him, ask him what he sees, what he wants to do. But this is Nick's line. This is his show, and he's running it well."

Recruiting failure: Jets tight end Chris Baker, 26, first met Browns counterpart Kellen Winslow, 23, in January 2000, when the latter came to Michigan State on a recruiting visit. Baker hosted the scholastic star, hoping to convince him to join the Spartans. Winslow, of course, wound up going to Miami.

"He's from San Diego, so it's kind of hard to compete with Miami in January and Michigan in January," Baker said. "His dad wanted him to come to Michigan State, obviously he made a wise choice going to Miami. He played in a lot of big games and made a name for himself. I hosted him for a weekend. We had a good time. He's a cool guy."

Winslow, who missed all of last season following a motorcycle crash and all but two games his rookie season after injuring his right fibula, is leading all NFL tight ends with 33 receptions.

"He's obviously a special player," said Baker, adding he's also familiar with Kellen Winslow Sr.'s storied career, though he wasn't old enough to see him play for the Chargers. "I'm happy for him to be able to bounce back from the two things. It's a tough way to start a career, but he's making up for it."

Injury report: Defensive end Shaun Ellis (back) and right tackle Anthony Clement (back) were added to the Jets' injury report as probable, though both practiced yesterday. The Browns added fullback Lawrence Vickers (elbow) as questionable and he did not practice.

Mangini reported some progress with cornerback David Barrett (hip) and running back Cedric Houston (knee) but neither is likely to be active.

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1161929129242550.xml&coll=1

Jets: Receivers grabbing much of the spotlight

Friday, October 27, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- At the start of the season, the Jets' receiving corps was thought to be pedestrian at best.

There were whispers that Laveranues Coles was slowing down after all of those violent collisions on routes across the middle.

Jerricho Cotchery hadn't done much in his first two seasons, although many in the organization were excited about his potential.

Justin McCareins had been a disappointment since coming over from the Titans two seasons ago and costing a second-round pick.

Veteran Tim Dwight was a roll of the dice, an injury-prone speed guy who had seen better days.

Rookie wide receiver/quarterback/running back Brad Smith, a fourth-round pick, was a wild card. No one knew whether he could make the transition to wide receiver from college quarterback.

Seven games into the season, this diverse and talented group may be the deepest on the team as the Jets (4-3) prepare to meet the Browns (1-5) on Sunday in Cleveland. Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has shown uncanny imagination in getting everyone involved and quarterback Chad Pennington has been an equal-opportunity deployer.

"I think a lot of people took us for granted," said Coles, who is third in the NFL in receptions (42), fourth in receiving yardage (566) and has three touchdowns. "But we all knew what we were sitting on. In the off-season, when you watched us work, we knew we had a special group of guys."

Cotchery, who beat out McCareins for the starting job in training camp, is having a breakout season with 30 catches for 418 yards and three touchdowns. He is fearless going over the middle and bounced off two defenders and somehow kept his knee off the turf for a sensational 71-yard touchdown grab against the Patriots.

McCareins, 6-2 and 215 pounds, has all the physical tools but hasn't blossomed the way many had thought he would. Even so, he has seven catches for 131 yards, including a 44-yard touchdown in last week's 31-24 victory over the Lions.

Dwight, a ninth-year pro, can still run with the big dogs despite his age (31). He has eight catches for 49 yards. The Jets like to get him the ball in space on short routes so he can run after the catch.

Smith, a record-setting quarterback at Missouri, has amazed everyone by making a seamless transition to wide receiver. He has only three catches for 5 yards, but he has six third-down conversions (one pass and five runs).

And, of course, there's Coles. He and Pennington have recaptured the magic they had in the 2002 season.

The depth of the Jets' receiving corps was in all its glory against the Lions. Detroit had decided to roll its coverages toward Coles and take him out of the game. Bad move.

Cotchery stepped up and delivered a career-high seven catches for 79 yards, and McCareins caught his touchdown pass on a brilliant play-action fake by Pennington. Plus, the Jets rushed for a season-high 211 yards.

"I don't feel like we're a one-man show in our passing game," said Pennington, who has a 65.8 completion percentage with nine touchdowns, six interceptions and a 91.3 passer rating. "People know about Coles, but Cotchery is a great receiver. Tim Dwight brings a lot of great things.

"We also mix in Brad, with his versatility, and Justin McCareins. When our guys are called upon, they can make plays."

The group also blocks extremely well, can run after the catch and is tough as a whole. They have good, but not great, speed.

"We have a well-rounded group," McCareins said. "We have guys who make plays in the passing game, block in the running game and are unselfish. We want to see each other do well."

Notes: Rookie RB Leon Washington worked with the first team yesterday and is expected to start. The Jets apparently want to run to the outside and not challenge Browns nose tackle Ted Washington, who is listed at 6-5, 265 pounds but is closer to 400 pounds.

Rookie C Nick Mangold, who has played well and has only one penalty, has the primary job of blocking Washington. He said he has spoken to veteran G/C Pete Kendall and C/T Trey Teague and tried to pick up some pointers.... CB Cedric Houston (knee), CB David Barrett (hip) and Teague (ankle) remain questionable. Barrett appears to have the best chance of playing.

http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_news.jsp?articleID=20061026105903630000101-a&newsgroup=ap.sportsml.american-football.nfl.news&sports=american-football&team=Jets&league=nfl

Jets look to soar above four in Cleveland

Cleveland, OH (AP) -- The resurgent New York Jets try to surpass their victory total from last season and win three straight games for the first time since 2004 when they visit the lowly Cleveland Browns on Sunday.

New York improved to 4-3 when it hung on to defeat Detroit 31-24 last week, matching its win total from last season. The Jets beat Miami 20-17 in Week 6 and are now trying to record three straight victories for the first time since Nov. 21-Dec. 5, 2004.

That run started with a come-from-behind 10-7 victory at Cleveland in the teams' last meeting.

"We are 4-3. That's it." first-year Jets coach Eric Mangini said. "The things that happened last year, I was in another place at that point.

"The consistency at practice and the individual preparation now is carrying over into better execution in the game, which is carrying over into wins. That's the most important thing for us to be successful is consistency, work ethic, preparation and detail."

Mangini and the Jets have benefited from a healthy Chad Pennington and a developing running game.

Pennington has completed 65.8 percent of his passes for 1,450 yards and nine touchdowns this season after missing 22 games over the previous three years with shoulder and wrist problems.

Rookie Leon Washington, meanwhile, has emerged as New York's featured back and ran for 129 yards and the first two touchdowns of his career in last week's win over the Lions.

"For me, the most impressive thing is his physicality," Pennington said about the 5-foot-8 Washington, who was selected in the fourth round of April's draft. "People are learning about his speed, but he's very physical between the tackles. He doesn't go down with one defender, it takes multiple defenders to take him down. He bounces off of tackles, he's a very physical person even though his size wouldn't make you think that."

Washington, whose 346 rushing yards are the third-most by a rookie this season, will be facing a Cleveland defense that is ranked 29th in the NFL against the run, allowing 144.2 yards per game.

The Browns (1-5), though, will be taking the field against a shaky Jets defense that gives up 372.3 yards a contest, third-most in the NFL. New York has allowed 74 points in the fourth quarter, two fewer than it's given up in the entire first half.

"Same story right now," Jets safety Kerry Rhodes said. "We've got to find a way to maintain our intensity on defense throughout the whole game."

The Browns need to show some intensity as they hope to avoid their second three-game losing streak of the season. Cleveland fell 17-7 to Denver last Sunday behind an offense that had 165 total yards and three turnovers.

That performance helped lead to the resignation of second-year offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon on Tuesday. Under Carthon, the Browns were averaging an NFL-worst 245.2 yards of total offense per game.

"We talked man-to-man about our situation that we are in," coach Romeo Crennel said. "To do what I thought was best for the Browns, the organization and the fans of Cleveland, I decided to accept his resignation."

Jeff Davidson, the club's offensive line coach the past two seasons, will replace Carthon. The 39-year-old Davidson was given the additional title of assistant head coach after last season when he nearly took a job with the Jets.

"Jeff is putting his thoughts together about what he thinks and feels," Crennel said. "We'll see how that manifests itself. I don't think that you can realistically expect that it's going to manifest itself into a wide-open offense overnight. For one, the players are ingrained in a system, terminology and so forth. If you go in and change all of the terminology and all of the plays, you are starting from scratch."

On defense, Cleveland will be without Gary Baxter after the veteran cornerback tore the patellar tendons in both knees during last week's loss to the Broncos. He has appeared in just eight games with the Browns since signing a six-year deal prior to last season.

Baxter joins fellow cornerbacks Daylon McCutcheon and DeMario Minter, and safeties Jeremy LeSueur and Shawn Mayer on injured reserve. But despite all the injuries to the secondary, Cleveland is 10th in the NFL with 192.8 passing yards allowed per game.

New York has won six of the last nine meetings in this series, including four of six in Cleveland.

http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_news.jsp?articleID=v0000msgn20061026T164215775&newsgroup=ap.sportsml.columnist.article&sports=american-football&team=Jets&league=nfl

Why the Jets should rock Cleveland

Dan Leberfeld

There is a pattern developing with the 2006 New York Jets. And based on that pattern, they should win this Sunday in Cleveland Browns Stadium.

The Jets beat the bad teams and lose to the good ones. The 1-5 Browns qualify as a bad team.

The Jets have beaten Tennessee (1-5), Buffalo (2-5), Miami (1-6) and Detroit (1-6), a combined 4-22.

Gang Green has lost to New England (5-1), Indianapolis (6-0) and Jacksonville (3-3), with a cumulative record of 14-4.

But hey, the Jets have nothing to apologize for. You can only play the teams on your schedule. They've done a good job of winning the games they should win -- and staying competitive against perhaps the top two teams in the AFC, the Patriots (a 24-17 loss), and the Colts (31-28). Let's give them a mulligan on the 41-0 blowout loss to the Jaguars. It was just one of those days.

But what should be taken out of the first seven games is that the Jets are still a team with a lot of concerns, and they can't let their surprising start go to their collective heads.

And they won't -- not with Eric Mangini at the helm. He is one of the most even-keeled humans you will ever meet, and approaches every week the same, whether the team won or lost the prior Sunday.

"I think our team has done a really good job of maintaining the same approach week in and week out," said Jets quarterback Chad Pennington. "When we were 2-3, we kept the same approach. When we were 3-3, we kept the same approach. So that's what we are focused on. It's too early in the season to get too confident about the possibilities."

And obviously they have a strong possibility of going 5-3 playing a Browns team with a lot of issues. But before anybody assumes this will be an automatic "W" for the Jets, let's not forget that none of their four wins against the contestants in "The Brady Quinn Sweepstakes” was easy. All those games were close calls where the Jets had to hold off the opponents late.

Expect the same kind of game against the Browns.

Sometimes wins can be like Maybelline, covering up a lot of blemishes.

Something else that can help a team overcome shortcomings is having a special quarterback, and the Jets have one of those in Pennington.

The Jets beat three teams with major quarterback problems -- Tennessee, Buffalo and Miami. It's unfair to throw Detroit's Jon Kitna in that category. Despite the team's record, he's actually playing fairly well. But the Titans started journeyman Kerry Collins, who has since been replaced by Vince Young, who isn't ready. Buffalo is kidding itself with J.P. Losman, and Miami is starting Joey Harrington, who is a lot like Losman. They both have great arms, but are basically one-read quarterbacks.

And one of the things that makes Pennington so good is that he's not a one-read quarterback. He sees the whole field and is tremendous at reading defenses.

Pennington's ability to read defenses will be the Jets’ trump card in this game. The Browns have major injury problems in their secondary, and Pennington will go after the weak links.

The Browns’ best cornerback, Gary Baxter, blew out both his knees (ugh) last week, and is done for the season. The team's other starter, Leigh Bodden, has missed the last couple of games with a severe ankle sprain, and there is a chance he's not going to play on Sunday. On top of that, the team's nickel back, Dayleon McCutcheon, is on IR. So the Browns could be without their three most-talented cornerbacks.

So the Jets will be facing cornerbacks like Daven Holly, Antonio Perkins and Ralph Brown. The first two are inexperienced, and the third has been on three teams in seven years for a reason.

To make matters worse, the Browns are also banged-up at safety. Free safety Brian Russell has a sprained ankle and is questionable, as are both backup safeties, Brodney Pool (hamstring) and Justin Hamilton (ankle). If Russell can't go, it's a mystery who might replace him.

And the Pool injury has ramifications beyond safety. He's also played cornerback, and actually started against Carolina and did a good job against Keyshawn Johnson. If Pool can't play, the Browns’ options are cut down at both positions.

Pennington has to be salivating watching Browns game film, thinking, “Who should I target?”

And it will probably have to be Pennington and the passing game that is going to spearhead the offense this week.

People are getting way ahead of themselves thinking the Jets’ running game is now established because of one good game against Detroit. Remember, the Lions were without starting defensive tackles Shaun Cody and Shaun Rogers, perhaps the NFL's best at his position. Let's be honest, Leon Washington doesn't rush for 129 yards if Mr. Rogers was in the neighborhood last week.

Don't expect a repeat performance against Cleveland's 3-4 featuring nose tackle Ted Washington, who uses his 370-pound frame to clog the middle -- which allows the team's two talented inside linebackers, Andra Davis and D'Qwell Jackson, to make a ton of tackles. They also have two good outside linebackers in Willie McGinest and 2006 first-round pick Kamerion Wimbley.

The Browns have the parts to play the 3-4 properly. The Jets are still a year or two away from that.

But the Jets’ 28th-ranked run defense, which hasn't stopped anyone this year since Week One, should be able to handle a Browns running attack which has been awful. They have never recovered from the preseason injury to center LeCharles Bentley.

The middle of the Browns’ line isn't getting much push with former Eagle Hank Fraley at center and average guard play.

So this game will likely come down to an aerial battle between Pennington and Charlie Frye, a second-year player out of Akron, who is learning on the job and has a 67.4 quarterback rating.

Who would you pick in that battle?

That's a no-brainer. Pennington in a landslide, and this is probably why the Jets will win this game.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMTEwOTEmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Tight ends in the spotlight

Friday, October 27, 2006

By RANDY LANGE

STAFF WRITER

get_image.php?story_id=7011091

Kellen Winslow leads the NFL's tight ends with 33 receptions.

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Chris Baker could have changed the course of college football in a small but significant way early in 2001.

"I hosted Kellen Winslow when he visited at Michigan State," the Jets' tight end recalled. "I took him around and showed him the campus. I know he had a good time. But it was kind of tough to show a guy from San Diego a nice cold January Michigan night. He made a good choice, obviously."

Winslow's choice: Go from the warm West to the warm East and the University of Miami, where in three years he became one of the most storied tight ends in Hurricanes history.

His penalty, perhaps, was to be drafted sixth overall by the Browns, plunged into the Cleveland cold, then into two seasons of limbo with injuries to his fibula and knee, the latter courtesy of his motorcycle.

Winslow is finally back -- his 33 receptions lead the NFL's tight ends. Baker is happy for the player who almost became a fellow Spartan, but the Jets who have to defend against him Sunday are less thrilled.

"He's a good player who can run like a receiver," said safety Kerry Rhodes, who will have some of the coverage responsibility. "He's always a threat."

Linebacker Jonathan Vilma remembered Winslow as "a fiery guy" at "the U," and Cleveland's most productive offensive player returned to that fire after the Browns' 17-7 loss to Denver dropped them to 1-5.

"Great teams and great players go through failure," he said. "We have to do a better job executing, coming out vs. the Jets."

The Browns' shortcomings have held Winslow to a tame 9.6 yards per catch. But maybe the shock of this week's changing of coordinators from Maurice Carthon to Jeff Davidson, coupled with the Jets' pass-coverage struggles, will allow Winslow to erupt.

If that happens, Baker would love to match him catch for catch, but he's not asked to do the same things for the Jets as Winslow is for the Browns.

But at least "C-Bake" can take comfort in his career arc. He went from being MSU's "move" tight end with record-setting receiving numbers to the seldom moving, seldom catching TE for three seasons under Jets coordinator Paul Hackett, to a half-season of improved play under Mike Heimerdinger during last year's nightmare.

After becoming an unrestricted free agent, then re-signing to play for Eric Mangini and new coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, Baker has become a valued contributor.

"Things are good. I guess you have to ask me that more toward the end of the season," he said of whether he was happy with his decision to remain a Jet. "In the beginning we didn't know what Eric really wanted, what he expected. As we go through the year, you start to figure those things out."

Baker is a move tight end again, part of Schottenheimer's Swiss-watch offense that sends him shifting and motioning almost every fifth play. His run-blocking is strong. His receiving numbers are Hackett-esque in average (8.2 yards per catch), more 'Dinger-like in catches (14 catches, six first downs, game-winning grab at Tennessee).

He wouldn't mind just once hearing that he, not the hotshot high schooler he ushered around East Lansing five years ago, leads NFL tight ends in receptions.

"Of course. If you're a tight end, you want to catch as many balls as possible," Baker said. "I've caught a lot of passes in my career, in college. I'm capable of it. At the same time, it just depends on what we need to be successful."

Sunday, the Jets' success might hinge on a few more catches for Baker. And a lot fewer for Winslow.

E-mail: lange@northjersey.com

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMTEwNDAmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Jets blog

Friday, October 27, 2006

Caution: Wide load

October 27, 2006

Nick Mangold, the 300-pound rookie center who's been the Jets' most consistent offensive lineman, has a big test in Cleveland, emphasis on "big" -- 15th-year nose tackle Ted Washington, program weight 365.

Many had words of advice for Mangold. Guard Pete Kendall: "Try not to be on the bottom of the pile."

And coach Eric Mangini: "Nick might have to spend a little time in the 'caf' with Brick and carbo-load." (Rookie left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson may now be under 290 pounds.)

"I don't think I could load up enough this week for Ted," Mangold said.

"Ted is a remarkable guy," Kendall said. "You would hope as an offensive lineman things would average out. If you're going to be that big, you can't play that long. No such luck for us."

-- Randy Lange

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMTEwMzgmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Jets notebook

Friday, October 27, 2006

'X' marks the spot

Fox TV's Sam Rosen and Tim Ryan were gushing about Brad Smith during the win over Detroit.

"They call him the X-Factor," T-Rock crowed as the Jets rookie slashed for 8 yards and a first down on his first-quarter end-around.

That nickname was news to Smith.

"No, I don't have any nicknames around here that I know of," he said Thursday. "But X-Factor? I'll take that."

The Browns are ready for No. 16. "They almost have a Smith package," coach Romeo Crennel said.

Even though defenses are waiting for that package, it continues to deliver.

On his 12 offensive touches, Smith has produced eight first downs.

On third down, the success rate is higher: eight touches, six first downs.

And he's 3-for-3 on third-and-1, tied for the NFL lead.

Lennie gets a look

Family and friends of Lennie Friedman will be happy to know the West Milford product, now a backup center-guard with Cleveland, should play against the Jets.

"We have experienced guards who are dealing with some issues," Crennel said of playing Friedman several series at both guard spots last week vs. Denver.

"We felt by giving them a break every now and then, it would be helpful. Plus it gives us an opportunity to find out a little more about Lennie."

The Browns are Friedman's fourth NFL team. He arrived via an August trade from the Bears.

Briefs

For the first time, Eric Mangini has added players to his injury report on a Thursday. DE Shaun Ellis (back) and OT Anthony Clement (back) are both probable and both practiced.

The Jets' I-list is up to 19 players.

Mangini said CB David Barrett (hip) has "a good opportunity" to play for the first time in three games.

Fullback B.J. Askew (foot) has been gimpy but hasn't missed a game.

-- Randy Lange

Archived