Oft injured McGahee breaks rib; Reed hospitalized

Bills' McGahee has broken rib; bruised kidney for Reed

Associated Press

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills running back Willis McGahee has a broken rib and backup receiver Josh Reed was hospitalized overnight Sunday with a bruised kidney.

Coach Dick Jauron said Monday that Reed is resting comfortably, but will likely spend another night in a Buffalo-area hospital as a precautionary measure.

Both players were hurt in the Bills' 24-10 win over Green Bay on Sunday, but the extent of their injuries was not revealed until Jauron's announcement on Monday.

Jauron said he will await further tests before ruling either player out for Buffalo's game at Indianapolis this weekend.

"We'll make initial decisions on Wednesday and then move from there, but we'll be cautious with them," Jauron said.

McGahee broke his ninth rib.

Of the chances McGahee will play on Sunday, Jauron said "It depends on how painful it is and depends on the extent of the fracture and all of those things that we're still learning."

As for Reed, Jauron said the team is erring on the side of caution by keeping him in hospital for an additional day because the injury is to an internal organ.

McGahee was hurt on Buffalo's seventh play from scrimmage, stuffed for a 3-yard loss by defensive tackle Colin Cole at the Packers 9. Cole and fellow lineman Ryan Pickett then both fell heavily on McGahee.

The running back lay on the field for several minutes and winced as he was helped to the sideline. The training staff attended to McGahee's left side before carting him off to the locker room.

Buffalo's first-round pick in the 2003 draft, McGahee is the Bills' leading rusher the past three seasons, including 579 yards this year. He had 15 yards on four carries before he was hurt.

McGahee was replaced by Anthony Thomas, who finished with 95 yards and a touchdown on 20 carries.

Reed was hurt after making a 6-yard catch on a quick out early in the second quarter. Reed returned to the field later in the half, but was diagnosed with a bruised kidney during halftime. He was then taken to an undisclosed hospital by ambulance.

Buffalo's second-round pick in the 2002 draft, Reed is being used as a slot, third-down receiver this season. He ranks third on the team with 23 catches, and second with 229 yards and has also scored one touchdown.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

Oft injured?

How many games has Willis missed since he started playing in 2004?

The Jets' rbs should be as durable as him, and maybe we wouldnt be using a rrbc

The same thing I thought. Since taking over for Travis Henry I'm not sure if he has missed any games (maybe one, not sure). Doesn't matter, you could cut one of his feet off and come December 10th he'll still rush for over 150 on us...

The same thing I thought. Since taking over for Travis Henry I'm not sure if he has missed any games (maybe one, not sure). Doesn't matter, you could cut one of his feet off and come December 10th he'll still rush for over 150 on us...

hey tx, did last nights loss cause you to change you're username? still a very trollish post. we know its you man

So, tell us how many games he has missed since he started playing in 2004?

0 but has not started in 6 of those.

Also has not performed well in a lot and he's a dumb **** for declaring himself the best back in the business because he's not even Top 10. JC I like you but please do not get your U love get in the way of a guy who is always injuried and it effects the number of carries he receives and the way he plays.

This isnt about my love for the UMiami- it's more about your hate for certain teams, which comes thru on the baseball board, too. The title of your thread is misleading, and not backed up by facts. It's something to consider as an aspiring journalist. I'd say Cedric Houston, CP, Dwight, and Kendall are more "oft injured" than WMc.

Just like I'll take Jeter as my ss on my team anyday, I'll take McGahee as my rb,too.

This isnt about my love for the UMiami- it's more about your hate for certain teams, which comes thru on the baseball board, too. The title of your thread is misleading, and not backed up by facts. It's something to consider as an aspiring journalist. I'd say Cedric Houston, CP, Dwight, and Kendall are more "oft injured" than WMc.

Just like I'll take Jeter as my ss on my team anyday, I'll take McGahee as my rb,too.

Cedric Houston is oft injured after 1 injury? Kendall has missed how many games in a Jets uniform?

Sorry but it is backed by facts because he has has multiple different injuries but played through them.

Now you're just being obtuse. Was he even on the roster in 2003?

He had a horrible knee injury in january 2003, and he is oft injured?

He played in every game in 2004, 2005 and 2006.

So the next game he misses due to an injury in an nfl game will be his first.

Face it- YOU are the biased one here, by misleadingly stating he is oft injured and inferring he misses games due to injuries.

Now you're just being obtuse. Was he even on the roster in 2003?

He had a horrible knee injury in january 2003, and he is oft injured?

He played in every game in 2004, 2005 and 2006.

So the next game he misses due to an injury in an nfl game will be his first.

Face it- YOU are the biased one here, by misleadingly stating he is oft injured and inferring he misses games due to injuries.

Never said he missed games due to injury did I? I said that he doesn't miss games but that when he plays he's often INJURED and plays through the pain but when he plays in pain he doesn't perform as well.

2006, so far...not over yet. Maybe he'll blow out his knee again...only those who hate ****y RB's can hope.

Archived