JETS ARTICLES - FRI 11/10

Sperm Edwards

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061110/SPORTS01/611100449/1108

Mangini: Team is in good shape

By Andrew Gross

The Journal News

(Original Publication: November 10, 2006)

HEMPSTEAD - When Jets coach Eric Mangini watches his players, he sees a squad whose conditioning has improved, not a team that's slowing down.

The question was raised yesterday after Laveranues Coles, speaking specifically about the receivers' ability to get outside, said Wednesday the team has not been as fast the previous few games as it was in Weeks 1 and 2.

"We ain't moving as fast," Coles said, "We've got to make sure we get our speed back."

Mangini, however, chose to interpret it as his wide receiver trying to assume some or all of the blame for the recent struggles in the passing game, thereby deflecting it away from quarterback Chad Pennington.

"If anything, we're getting in better and better shape," Mangini said. "I've talked to you a lot about how those guys, in between drills when the first offense isn't up, they're working on their conditioning. I think that's something that's going to help us as the season moves on. It's noble to take the blame on the receiving crew, that is the way Laveranues is. But it's all of them working together. It's not really one group."

Mangini ran a far tougher camp than ex-Jets coach Herman Edwards ever did, and his in-season practices have likewise been more intense. So whether the Jets are starting to show a little wear and tear in the second half of the season is something to monitor.

So close: Mangini was nearly finished with his daily press conference when he was asked if he was surprised he hadn't been asked any Bill Belichick questions yet.

"You ruined our streak," Mangini said. "I think it's great that we're just focused on the Jets and Patriots."

The play: Wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery provided the Jets' highlight play of the season thus far with his 71-yard touchdown catch in the 24-17 loss to the Patriots in Week 2. Cotchery kept his balance after landing on safety Eugene Wilson as cornerback Chad Scott hit him from behind.

"I've been hearing about it the whole season," Cotchery said. "I went home for the bye week and a lot of people, they haven't seen me and that's the only play they've been talking about. I guess I'm going to hear about it a lot because there are still a lot of people I haven't seen."

Ramsey still No. 2: Backup quarterback Patrick Ramsey (thigh) is listed as probable this week and has been able to practice. And while rookie Kellen Clemens did take snaps with the first team during the bye week, there's been no change in the depth chart even though Ramsey tweaked his thigh Monday.

"As much as a quarterback can tweak in practice," Mangini said. "But it was tweaked."

He's hoping: There were no changes to either the Jets' or Patriots' injury reports yesterday. Jets running back Cedric Houston (left knee), who's been inactive the previous four games and is listed as questionable, said he feels ready to play but it would be a "coach's decision."

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061110/SPORTS01/611100450/1108

Vilma working to fit in

By Andrew Gross

The Journal News

(Original Publication: November 10, 2006)

HEMPSTEAD - There are expectations for any inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. But that doesn't mean there's a mold.

So while Jonathan Vilma specifically studied game film of the Patriots' Tedy Bruschi in the offseason as the Jets prepared to import New England's scheme, he is not Bruschi's carbon copy.

"He's different than a lot of those guys because - not that the other guys are slow - but Jon has very good speed and he's extremely rangy," Jets coach Eric Mangini said yesterday.

The 4-4 Jets visit 6-2 New England Sunday and, like every week, they'll need a strong performance from Vilma. The Jets' defense is ranked 31st in the NFL and opponents are averaging 143 rushing yards per game.

Perhaps no Jet has had a tougher task in the transition from the 4-3 to the 3-4 that Mangini helped run as the Patriots' defensive coordinator than Vilma. So used to using his speed to make plays in the middle as well as sideline to sideline, Vilma's new assignment is often to stay in his lanes and take on offensive linemen.

"I feel comfortable with that," Vilma said. "Obviously (studying Bruschi) was a good start to learning the defense, and I also learned my little things here and there while I played during the season."

The 6-foot-1, 230-pound Vilma said he is no longer studying film of Bruschi. But Bruschi, similarly somewhat undersized at 6-1, 247, certainly knows what Vilma is going through.

"I haven't talked to Jonathan but I've seen him on film," Bruschi said. "There isn't just one way to play it, there are different variations, and he's developing his own style. You start to develop a familiarity of what you can do and what you can't, and that's something he's done a good job with.

"Eric Mangini did a good job when he was here. I'm sure he's helping them out, communicating the differences from the 4-3 to the 3-4. Once that gets communicated, I think any linebacker can get it done."

But Vilma is not just "any linebacker." He's the Jets' defensive leader, a Pro Bowler who led the NFL with 187 tackles last season.

"I think he leads by example," Jets safety Kerry Rhodes said. "He's a hard worker, that's the first thing I picked up from him when I got here. I mean, football is his life, that's what he's about."

Vilma has 69 tackles this season, 43 solo, with one interception. Over the last two games, he has 19 tackles with an interception, and in the last game, against the Browns, he did more roaming east to west to make plays.

"Over the past four to five weeks, Jon has made as much progress as anybody," Mangini said. "I think he's doing a good job with understanding how the blocking schemes unfold and understand the fits (positioning) a lot better."

Bruschi, who was inactive in Week 1 and who returned to play nine games in 2005 after suffering a stroke that February, has 44 tackles, 23 solo, and one interception.

While Bruschi is an outgoing, outspoken personality, Vilma tends to be more introspective.

"He's what I expected, a good tackling-machine kind of guy," said Jets linebacker Matt Chatham, a member of the Patriots from 2000-05. "Jon is almost infamous for how much time he spends at home, that's where he takes his stuff. I saw Tedy in the building. Jon does as much film work as anybody on the team, but he likes his DVDs and his little CDs. It was a lot more in your face with Tedy."

Still, the way Vilma's teammates see it, if he can adapt to the new system, they all can.

"Yeah, I think so," Rhodes said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/469881p-395472c.html

'D' line gets Moore beef

Friday, November 10th, 2006

Backup NT Rashad Moore, a 325-pound run stuffer, is expected to have a bigger role than usual Sunday in Foxboro. The Jets will beef up the line - literally - with Moore on the nose and NT Dewayne Robertson (317 pounds) moving out to right end in their wide-body look. They used the Moore-Robertson combo for 10 plays in the last game. "He's a big body, and those big bodies are hard to move," Eric Mangini said of Moore. The Jets expect the Patriots, led by running backs Corey Dillon and rookie Laurence Maroney, to attack on the ground.... Backup RB Cedric Houston (knee), who has missed four games, appears ready to play, but he could be inactive again because of a logjam at running back. ... Mangini on what type of reception he expects in New England, where he coached for six seasons as an assistant under Bill Belichick: "Probably balloons, parades, a lot of signs that say, 'Welcome home.' That sort of typical thing. It'll be magical."

Rich Cimini

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/469880p-395471c.html

Jets in blitz of questions

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

For the final 25 minutes in its last game, the Jets' beleaguered defense did something unusual. Two things, actually: It stopped the opponent and it did it with an in-your-face style.

The Jets blitzed and sacked the quarterback. They moved players like chess pieces, clogging running lanes. In short, they attacked, a departure from their bend-but-don't-break philosophy.

Was it a 25-minute tease or a harbinger of the second half of the season? The players hope it's the latter.

Though no one will publicly question strategy - the Jets' Thought Police frown upon freedom of speech - the feeling in the locker room is unmistakable: The players want Eric Mangini and coordinator Bob Sutton to crank up the heat and be aggressive.

The coaches' reluctance, coupled with the slow adjustment to the 3-4 scheme, has created an undercurrent of frustration. There's a sense that the conservative play-calling is not maximizing talent.

The numbers don't lie: The Jets (4-4) are ranked 31st in total defense as they prepare for Sunday's game at the Patriots (6-2).

Co-captain Shaun Ellis isn't an extremist - he doesn't believe all-out blitzing is the answer - but he'd like to see more of a balance.

"We have a lot of athletes on our defense," Ellis said yesterday. "To me, we have to play a little more both ways. We have to move guys and let them use their natural ability, and just do more."

The Jets did that against the Browns, and it worked for most of the second half. On the final six possessions, they sacked Charlie Frye three times and held Reuben Droughns - a monster in the first half - to 29 yards on 14 carries.

It would be foolhardy to call that a potential turning point for the defense. The mediocre Browns, milking a 20-3lead, had pulled in the reins, but Sutton's late-game play-calling whetted the appetite of his players. He called 12 blitzes in the second half, 16 for the game, tying a season-high from Week 1 in Tennessee.

"We really got after it a little bit more," linebacker Jonathan Vilma said. "We started to blitz more, so that was good."

Said Ellis: "We started doing a lot more than just our regular base package. We started creating more pressure. We started moving around a little bit, getting in the running lanes, pretty much causing the running back to hesitate."

Privately, some players wondered why they didn't start sooner. Ellis said the encouraging finish, albeit in a 20-13 loss, probably "opened some eyes. Other teams know we're very talented over here."

Asked if he believes it convinced Sutton to call more blitzes, Ellis said, "I hope so. But regardless of what's called, we have to play at that tempo all the time - a game-on-the-line tempo."

Ellis is a team leader, but he doesn't think it's his place to go to the coaches to make suggestions. He said the defense must prove in practice that it's capable of executing blitz-oriented packages.

Obviously, there's a risk-reward factor, and Mangini, whose goal is to prevent big plays, realizes an unsuccessful blitz can change the field position in an instant.

The game plan also depends on the opponent. Blitzing the inexperienced Frye is a lot less dangerous than going after Tom Brady. Then again, the Pats' receiving corps aren't what they used to be, so the Jets might be willing to take more chances.

Against the Browns, they confused Frye with an array of five-, six- and seven-man rushes. The players loved it and they want it to continue. Will it?

"We'd definitely like to keep doing it," Sutton said. "If it works."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets104969327nov10,0,6273244.story?coll=ny-jets-print

Kickoff returns are Miller time

Fearless approach, speed have produced 2 TDs, 29-yd. average

BY BOB HERZOG

Newsday Staff Writer

November 10, 2006

When these final returns are in, the Jets might have control of field position, which is pro football's version of Congress: It's hard to get anything done without strong support in this area.

Justin Miller is the Jets' leading candidate for Pro Bowl honors as a special-teams player because of his remarkable success as a kick returner. With two touchdowns this season and one in the final game of 2005, Miller has three in his last nine games. In just his second season with the Jets, Miller is already the franchise career leader in kickoff return touchdowns. He trails the Patriots' Laurence Maroney by percentage points for the NFL lead in return average, 29.73 to 29.68, but Maroney has no touchdowns and 10 fewer returns.

Miller will take on any player in an opposing jersey. Though he has speed, Miller seems to welcome contact en route to breaking into the clear.

"What I love about Justin is when he has the ball in his hands, he's fearless and he's aggressive and he takes the fight to the kickoff team," coach Eric Mangini said. "The way that he hits those seams - and sometimes those seams are pretty small - but he hits them with such speed, such aggressiveness, such a level of intensity, those guys have to make a decision whether or not they want to tackle him. He's powerful for his size. He has a chance each time he touches the ball to do something really positive."

Miller, 5-10, 202 pounds, has been breathtaking on several occasions. In Week 1 victory at Tennessee, his 41-yard kickoff return set up the go-ahead TD in the fourth quarter. In a victory over Miami in Week 6, his 56-yard runback set up another score.

Unfortunately for the Jets, Miller's spectacular touchdown returns have come in losses, a franchise-record 103-yard dash against the Colts and a 99-yarder against the Browns.

"You go out there every time trying to score," Miller said. "It kind of carries over from my return team. They go out there with an aggressive nature. They try to make every block that they can and give me the opportunity to return."

The Jets have done that often enough to put Miller in a position to lead the league in kickoff return average, which has been done only once in franchise history. Ron Carpenter did it in 1995 with a 27.7 average, but on only 20 kickoffs. Miller has already returned 29 halfway through this season.

"I believe in them," Miller said of his special-team mates. "Every time I go out there I want to make the best of every opportunity because if I'm successful, we're all successful as a unit."

Sounds as if Miller has been listening to respected longtime special teams coach Mike Westhoff.

"Justin is really a talented guy. He's very strong, very explosive and he certainly has the knack to do this," Westhoff said last week. "Justin has the things that you want. He has the speed, he breaks away, he's tough to catch and he's strong. He's had to learn some of the reads. Early in his career he missed some of those but he got better and better and he's into it now. We think we can break it all the time, that's our goal."

Miller has other goals, too, on defense. He lost and then regained his starting spot at cornerback.

"He has good natural ability for the position in terms of change of direction, speed bursts, strength and ability to jam at the line of scrimmage," Mangini said. "Like any young player, that's got to be refined. The difference between kickoff return and playing corner is with kickoff return, that attacking mentality is often a huge asset. At corner you need to be able to combine that with reading, reacting and adjusting [to] the route. It takes a little bit longer to develop that set of skills."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sphow104969331nov10,0,6405442.column?coll=ny-jets-print

Like fighting your big brother

Johnette Howard

SPORTS COLUMNIST

November 10, 2006

On the surface, this week would not appear to be a good situation for the Jets. Their defense is ranked 31st in the 32-team NFL and they are playing a New England team that is coming off a galling home loss to the Colts, the same team the Patriots used to reliably spook just by saying, "Hey Peyton."

For the Jets, playing the Patriots and their quarterback Tom Brady anytime is sobering enough. But the aura surrounding New England only gets more overblown when the Patriots have just been embarrassed. Brady suddenly becomes even more clutch and unflappable and determined, and coach Bill Belichick spends all week devising which sort of sledgehammer to hide up his sleeve. New England hasn't lost back-to-back games since the 2002 season. And the 4-4 Jets, who have lost seven straight to the Pats, know what the script is supposed to be this Sunday: They're expected to show up in Foxborough and get spanked.

ESPN analyst Mark Schlereth predicted yesterday that the Patriots will shred the Jets for 40 points, maybe more. (The Jets are giving up an average of 24.6.) When Belichick wasn't racheting up the rivalry with the Jets a little more this week by acting as if complimenting his former protege, Jets coach Eric Mangini, is about as pleasant as slamming his hand in a door, he was sniffing and saying sure, there's a lot about the Jets defense that looks "very familiar" - as in stolen.

Same fronts, same blitz packages, same looks, Belichick said.

What Belichick might have added is the Jets don't run the same defense nearly as well.

And yet, what's been largely overlooked this week is this game against New England would have been for a first-place tie in the AFC East had the Jets not blown their last game to Cleveland, which was 1-6 at the time.

This season New England has not approached the level of its past great teams. And the Jets aren't far from being a reliably good team. Yet you never hear a word of protest from them.

For whatever reason, the temperature of this Jets team is curiously hard to gauge no matter whom they're playing. Several defensive players, including Shaun Ellis, stood at their lockers yesterday and called this week a "huge"game. Yet their voices remained curiously flat.

It's hard to know if all the understatement is due to Mangini's constant harping about taking each week as a thing unto itself, the sheer volume of work and new systems the Jets are still adjusting to, or the humbling proof that they've still got miles to go, especially on defense.

Deep down, the Jets realize their margin for error each week is minuscule. They can theoretically play with anybody. But they can definitely lose to anybody, too. Even now at the halfway point of Mangini's first season, the Jets remain - to no one's surprise - a work in progress. The surprise is the defense, Mangini's area of expertise, has been lagging behind the offense.

Linebacker Jonathan Vilma admitted yesterday that the defense needs to execute better, tackle better, work more seamlessly as a unit. But if you read between the lines of what some other players say, some impatience is also setting in. The defense is craving the freedom to attack and blitz and take more risks, something the Jets finally did to great effect against Cleveland, though only out of desperation. And not until the second half.

"We can only go with the calls that are made," linebacker Matt Chatham said yesterday.

"I hope we do a lot more," Ellis said. "But the main thing is the coaches have to feel comfortable."

The Jets know Brady is one of the hardest quarterbacks to do much of anything against. But the Jets still played the Patriots tough in a 24-17 home loss in Week 2. And the Patriots, for all the Super Bowl era respect they still receive, are a significantly changed team still facing questions about themselves.

Much like the Bears, who come to Giants Stadium Sunday night with a 7-1 record that features six wins against weak teams, the 6-2 Patriots have yet to beat a winning club this year. The combined record of their opponents so far is 17-23.

Maybe the predictions are right. Maybe the Patriots will shred the Jets' defense and win in a rout. Or maybe the Jets, with two weeks to prepare for a Pats team that Mangini left only last year, finally will put together their best game of the season.

Given how circumspect the Jets have been about voicing any big ambitions this year, it almost qualified as a bugle call yesterday when Ellis quietly said, "We've got to get this win."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11102006/sports/jets/bruschi__mangini_doing_great_job_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

BRUSCHI: MANGINI 'DOING GREAT JOB'

By MARK CANNIZZARO

November 10, 2006 -- Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi, who played in Eric Mangini's defense for New England, said he sees impressive characteristics of mental toughness in the Jets that are a reflection of Mangini's coaching.

"This team doesn't quit," Bruschi said of the Jets, who face the Patriots on Sunday. "This team will keep playing you for all four quarters, whether it is on special teams or offense or defense. They play the whole game in its entirety. We had a big lead on them (24-0, Week 2) and they were still able to make some plays that put them back in the game and in a position to win the football game at the end of the fourth quarter. We respect that. (The Jets lost, 24-17).

"Eric Mangini is doing a great job of preparing his team, of instilling an attitude in his team, that if you just keep playing good, sound, solid football, good things can happen. Our last game with them was indicative of that, where they just kept playing and playing and made some big plays and all of a sudden it's a ballgame."

Mangini yesterday was very complimentary of LB Brad Kassell, an offseason free-agent acquisition who's playing a lot of special teams and spelling starting LB Eric Barton at times.

"Brad has taken advantage of his opportunities and he's carved out a nice niche on special teams," Mangini said.

Mangini also praised LB Jonathan Vilma and NT Dewayne Robertson.

"Jon has, in the last four or five weeks, made as much progress as anyone," Mangini said. "I'm pleased with the progress he's made. Dewayne has made great strides inside; I really like the way he's playing."

Despite the heavy rain that dampened the New York area Wednesday, the Jets practiced outside instead of inside the practice bubble, which Mangini rarely uses.

"I like practicing in the rain, heat, the cold, in the snow," Mangini said. "The more you can block out those distractions, the better you will be when you have to deal with it (in a game)."

The forecast for Sunday's game in Foxborough, Mass., is for temperatures in the mid-40s and rain.

S Kerry Rhodes, a Louisville graduate, said he planned on attending last night's Louisville-Rutgers game in New Jersey to see his alma mater. Rhodes and DT Rashad Moore, whose lockers are adjacent, made a bet on the game with Rhodes taking his Cardinals and Moore, a Tennessee grad, taking Rutgers.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11102006/sports/jets/jets_wont_run__hide_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

JETS WON'T RUN & HIDE

By MARK CANNIZZARO

November 10, 2006 -- The Jets know exactly what's coming Sunday in Foxborough, Mass. There are no secrets, no Bill Belichick wrinkles to worry about.

They know the Patriots are going to try to jam the football down the throats of the Jets with a productive running game.

Why?

Because the Jets have shown little in the way of any consistent resistance to opponents' rushing attacks, which is why the Jets are ranked 30th in the NFL in run defense and 31st in total defense.

Also, the Patriots ground the Jets like supermarket chuck meat in the first meeting between the teams, Week 2 at Giants Stadium, where New England rushed for 147 yards on 39 bruising carries in a 24-17 win.

Corey Dillon and rookie Laurence Maroney gashed the Jets for big yards and a TD each in that game, and the two undoubtedly are licking their chops at another shot at the Jets' defense.

In the Jets' most-recent game, Cleveland entered the meeting two Sundays ago as the most inept offense in the NFL. The Browns rushed for an identical 147 yards on 39 carries in their 20-13 win.

"Oh, it's demoralizing, absolutely demoralizing," Jets LB Matt Chatham said of being pounded by an opponent's running game. "The hard part for us at this point is we come in each week knowing what (the opposing team's) game plan is going to be, so it's insulting when you can't stop the run when you know they're going to run on you.

"The only way to stop that is to stop the run."

Indeed.

"We expect (the Patriots to run on the Jets), but not because it's the Patriots," Chatham said. "We expect it because of our track record, so we're very aware of it. It's something we're working on daily and it's something we think is correctable. It's not something where we have bad run defenders and we just have to live with it and hope for the best.

"It's really just cracks in the dam."

Those cracks often are inexcusable. The Jets underwent a well-publicized change in defensive scheme when Eric Mangini took over, switching from a 4-3 base to a 3-4, and it's taken time for a lot of players to make the transition.

But the Jets are eight regular-season games and four preseason games into 2006. That should be enough time for players to have learned the system, which is what makes their porous run defense so maddening.

"It's beyond what scheme we're running and whether we're acclimated; it's more just a matter of technique and guys playing better," Chatham said.

LB Eric Barton said, "There is a transition period, but I do think we've had enough time to be better than we are. We've gotten better but still are not where need to be."

DE Shaun Ellis said, "We've had eight games under our belt, so that should be enough. It is time for us to step up and make a statement, not only for this game but throughout the year."

Part of the Jets' problem through the first half of the season has been missed tackles. Players often are where they're supposed to be but they don't wrap up the runner.

"It's just something we have to stop," LB Victor Hobson said. "It's not going to go away until we make it go away."

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/116314183248860.xml&coll=1

Jets: Pennington's gamble looks like it will pay off

Friday, November 10, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jets quarterback Chad Pennington confirmed yesterday he's close to recouping the entire $6 million pay cut he took during the off-season. He agreed to the pay reduction with the chance to earn the money back in playing-time incentives.

Pennington, who underwent his second rotator cuff surgery in two seasons last October, must play 60 percent of the snaps, approximately two more games, to get all of his money.

Originally, Pennington was scheduled to earn $9 million this season as part of his seven-year, $64 million contract. Only $3 million of that was guaranteed this season. The rest would be earned on a weekly basis through playing-time incentives.

"It always feels good when hard work pays off, no doubt about it," Pennington told The Star-Ledger yesterday. "So now my focus has shifted from proving it to sustaining it and being consistent throughout the rest of the season."

Pennington, whose improbable comeback has stunned many in the organization and the NFL, took a huge gamble on himself and won. Some thought his career was over. He said he decided to swallow the pay cut and remain with the Jets because it was the best career move.

"My first approach was I wanted to do what was best for my career," said Pennington, who has led the Jets to a surprising 4-4 mark and began the season with back-to-back 300-yard passing games. "I didn't look at the money first. I looked at my career. I felt like staying here with the Jets and trying to finish what I started was best for my career.

"Then, I looked at the money side and the potential earnings and weighed it that way. But my initial reasoning, the first thing that came to my mind, was what was best for me as a football player."

This season, Pennington has a 62.4 completion percentage with nine TDs and eight INTs. He ranks second in the NFL in third-down passing with a 68.2 completion percentage with four TDs, two INTs and a 106.0 passer rating. Only the Colts' Peyton Manning (67.1 percent, 13 TDs, 0 INTs, 133.6 passer rating) is better.

Notes: Coach Eric Mangini said he practiced outside on Wednesday in the rain and high winds because his team might face those conditions in New England on Sunday. Mangini said he prefers to practice in the elements. The Jets have yet to hold a regular practice in the bubble this season, staging only one walk-through session on a Saturday morning.... RBs Kevan Barlow and Leon Washington split time with the first team yesterday.... Rookie QB Kellen Clemens worked with the second team but coach Eric Mangini said veteran Patrick Ramsey remains the backup.

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/116314179548860.xml&coll=1

Jets are working on fixing defense

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- On the surface, the Jets' switch from a 4-3 defensive scheme to a 3-4 alignment wouldn't seem like a big deal. After all, football is football, just tackle the guy when he tries to run by you.

Right?

Wrong.

"It's like learning a new language," outside linebacker Victor Hobson said yesterday. "In the 4-3, you're able to move around more freely. In the 3-4, you have to trust the person next to you and do your job.

"You can't try to overcompensate for yourself or the guy next to you because then that leaves a bigger problem in the defense."

In short, the 3-4 scheme is black and white. There's a right and wrong. There's no freelancing. You must play it by the book or else the entire scheme crumbles like a house of cards.

"You have to be in the right spot," safety Kerry Rhodes said. "If you're not, you're going to be a gap short and it's going to be exposed. You just have to be technically sound."

Therein lies the problem for the Jets as they continue to try to master their new 3-4 alignment. You must carry out your assignment to the letter or else the running back is going to find a seam and be off to the races. And your teammate can't help you because he has his own responsibilities to worry about.

That's what coach Eric Mangini means when he says the Jets' "run fits" have to be better. Every member of the front seven (linemen and linebackers) must two-gap -- play the running lanes on each side of them -- for the defense to work.

On Sunday, the Jets (4-4), who rank 31st in the NFL in total defense, will get a chance to see how the defense should be played when they meet the Patriots (6-2) in Foxboro. New England has perfected the scheme and won three Super Bowls playing it.

"There are different techniques that you have to get used to," Patriots inside linebacker Tedy Bruschi said. "(Mangini) did a great job of (teaching) here. He wasn't just involved with the coverage aspect of our defense, he was involved with the fronts also and did a great job of relaying information on how to play different defenses."

The Jets, who still have most of the 4-3 personnel left over from the previous regime, spent the bye week trying to shore up their porous run defense. The unit ranks 30th in the NFL, allowing a whopping 143 yards per game. Overall, the Jets are yielding 359.1 yards per game.

And although much of the focus has been on undersized nose tackle Dewayne Robertson, he has been perhaps the most consistent player in the front seven, several players said.

Inside linebacker Jonathan Vilma, however, is still experiencing major growing pains. Expect big changes next season.

"We spent the bye week trying to correct things in the running game and we're really anxious to see how it's going to play out once we play this week," defensive end Shaun Ellis said.

In the final 20 minutes against Cleveland last week, the defense suddenly came to life, blitzing and making plays as the Jets tried to battle back from a 17-3 deficit.

Privately, some players have said they want defensive coordinator Bob Sutton to be more aggressive with his calls, but they understand it's risky business. The Jets must perfect the basics of the 3-4 scheme before they can venture out and do more things.

"I can't say (blitz more)," Ellis said. "I hope we do a lot more different things than we've been doing, but the fact is the coaches have to feel comfortable and we have to feel comfortable, too. We just have to be more consistent as a defensive unit."

Mangini: Vilma Has Made as Much Progress as Anybody

Published: 11-09-06

By Jets PR Department

Regular Contributor

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/mangini-vilma-has-made-as-much-progress-as-anybody

The New England Patriots may have the best running back combo in football with Corey Dillon and Laurence Maroney in the backfield, so the Jets front seven will have to bring their "A" game come Sunday at Gillette Stadium. Fortunately for the Green & White, linebacker Jonathan Vilma is finding his comfort zone in the middle.

“Jon over the past four to five weeks has made as much progress as anybody,” said New York head coach Eric Mangini. “I think he is doing a good job with understanding how blocking schemes unfold and understanding the fits a lot better. He has always been good with orchestrating the defense and leading the defense, but even getting a better feel for not just about his role but other guys’ roles."

Read below for Coach Mangini's press conference transcript

Opening statement…

Overall, yesterday was not a bad practice. It was hard in the sense that it was pretty cold, pretty wet, pretty loud, pretty windy; pretty similar to what we could encounter on Sunday. I just talked to the guys, especially the practice squad guys, about the importance of the look that they give us and how unique the last two opponents have been in the sense that if you're on the practice squad or if you're in that 45-to 53-man bubble, these last two opponents because of the similarities defensively, gives you a chance to make a real case for either moving up or getting more playing time because there is the carryover, and you're not just purely operating off cards. We always give the Practice Player of the Week after a victory, and I think that's so important because the look is so key to executing well.

One of the things that New England does, arguably better than anybody else, is they execute effectively and then they take advantage of the times that you don't execute effectively, and I think that's a real strength of theirs, and that's why it's so important that we practice well and then carry that level of execution into the game.

One guy that I think has been very good at taking advantage of his opportunities has been Brad Kassell. He's gotten some shots on defense, done a good job with that. But more importantly, he's carved out a real important role for us on special teams, being a core guy, having a lot of production, and then also developing some leadership, which has helped our depth and helped our overall performance on teams.

On if the team has practiced in the bubble this year…

We did once on a Saturday, walk-through that we have on Saturday. That was it.

On practicing in the rain yesterday…

I like it. I like being able to practice in the rain, the heat, the cold, the snow. We incorporate the noise. Every day, the more that you can block out those distractions, which are going to come up throughout the course of the season, and just focus on what you're doing, which is executing the plays, the better you're going to be when you actually have to deal with that during the course of the season.

On practicing in favorable conditions in order to have a crisp practice…

There are some days where it's just so bad out that it is counterproductive to be outside, where you can't throw the ball no matter what. There are things that you want to work on and maybe the place that you're going you're not anticipating similar weather conditions, like the Miami week where you're probably not going to get a lot of snow. You have to make a decision there.

On yesterday’s conditions being similar to the Carmine and Frank Mangini Football Camp in June…

It was. There were a couple snaps there that looked like the performance at the football camp, but overall it was pretty good.

On if anyone was injured at yesterday’s practice…

No, everything was pretty clean. Obviously, Trey's situation was really disappointing for us and for him, and like I said, it was such a freak thing for something like that to happen to the same guy. It's hard for him because he had worked so hard to get back to where he was, and it's just tough.

On Jonathan Vilma’s performance this year…

Over the past four-to-five weeks Jon has made as much progress as anybody, and I think he's doing a good job with understanding how the blocking schemes unfold and understanding the fits a lot better. He's always been good with organizing, orchestrating the defense, leading the defense, but even getting a better feel, not just for his role but other guys' roles and as we shift into different fronts where he fits. I've been really pleased with the progress he has made. There are so many different styles of playing. Ted Johnson had one, Tedy (Bruschi) had a different one, Roman Phifer had a different one, Junior Seau has a different one. It's finding what works best for you within the system.

On what Vilma has picked up from studying Bruschi…

You'd have to ask Jon the tips that he got, but I'm sure there's some carryover. The specifics I couldn't say offhand.

On if Vilma reminds Mangini of any other players…

He's different than a lot of those guys because he has, not that the other guys are slow, but Jon has very good speed and he's extremely rangy. His strengths are a little bit different for each one of those players.

On Vilma moving sideline-to-sideline in recent games…

Each front changes. So for example, if we reduce down, if we bring the defensive end to his side down, there's no difference between that front and the under front in a 4-3; you're just turning a linebacker into an end and an end into a tackle. Even though it's the same number of linebackers and defensive linemen, it's a different look, and a lot of that shows up where the front changes slightly, which turns into more of a 4-3 type concept. It may look similar, but it's different.

On any corrections that were made to the defense during the bye week…

We worked on a lot of different things actually. We worked on some of the core concepts. We added some packages, and that is true offensively, too. We worked on the things that we've done that we need to do better, and then we also introduced and started some things that we'll do moving forward. It had a dual purpose.

On what is holding the defense back…

One of the things that we work on all the time that we need to do better and need to be more consistent with is tackling. It's so important that the three-yard runs stay three-yard runs, the eight-yard runs stay eight-yard runs and we can't give up those extra yards after contact. We did that a ton during training camp, we do it each week two-to-three times a week as a group defensively, and then also spend some time individually in the defensive back period, that type of thing. So tackling is critical. Even tackling in the passing game where in Jacksonville they threw a six or seven-yard completion, you get a missed tackle, now it's a 41-yard pass, where it's really not a 41-yard pass, it's the catch, missed tackle and yards after the catch. That stuff is critical for improving the overall production.

On how to improve on tackling…

It's like any other skill set. You've got to practice it, put them in those situations. So we'll do a drill which will go from the sideline to the bottom of the numbers, and the runner will start in the middle of that area. The tackle will start in the middle of the area, and that's the space they can work with, and that simulates an open field tackle where you have to establish a leverage position, take away what you're taking away, use the sideline as your other boundary, that's sort of one element. Then you can bring the defender outside the numbers and the ball carrier, and now it's simulating a sideline tackle. So they're both starting towards the sideline where there's a good cutback lane, and that's different than the first one. You can talk about the stiff arm; as running backs come and they place out the stiff arm, the way to play the stiff arm, how they need to break it down and then wrap them up before just trying to go wrap them up. So there are different elements to tackling, the leverage of it. There are things like tackling the sled coming in, bringing your hips, bringing your hands, wrapping up, putting the sled on the ground to simulate the explosion and that element of it. So we break it down technique-by-technique and then situation-by-situation. It is something that you can improve on, but it's like anything else, it's consistent work at it.

On if there are any guys on the defense who are tackling well…

I think it's important to talk to everybody about that because sometimes when you lose sight of the fundamentals and you're just big picture, that's the game that really the fundamentals could have helped you because you're in the right spot, but maybe you lose your leverage on the ball carrier and he cuts back and things like that. It's the same thing like with Chad (Pennington). He has his progressions and the routes and things like that, but then he also needs footwork, where he holds the ball, ball security, and those are all fundamentals.

On Dewayne Robertson at different positions…

He worked at defensive end some in the games prior. I like Dewayne being able to move to both those spots because as the nose you can shade him or you can bring him over, you can slide him over to the other side to build an even front. At end, you can play him in a standard technique or bring him down. That's why during the preseason he did so much work at the different areas. He's made great strides inside, and I think he does a nice job at end, and he's learning about those blocking schemes more as we go, too.

On Rashad Moore’s improvements freeing up Robertson…

He's doing pretty well. He's a big body, and those big bodies are hard to move. He had some exposure to that in Oakland with Ryan. They've moved away from it a little bit, but at least there was some carry over from that experience.

On the team becoming fatigued…

No, I don't think so. If anything we're getting in better and better shape. I've talked to you a lot about how those guys in between drills when the first offense isn't up they're working on their conditioning. I think that's something that's going to help us as the season moves on, to not just maintain the level that we're at but actually improve on that level, and that sometimes can get lost during the course of the season, as well. It's noble to take the blame on the receiving crew, that is the way Laveranues (Coles) is, but it's all of them. It's all of them working together, it's hitting the right routes, it's the right timing by the quarterback and all that stuff ties in together. It's not really one group.

On Tom Brady…

He looks pretty good on tape. He hits all of his receivers. There will be eight or nine guys involved in the passing game; (Kevin) Faulk, (Laurence) Maroney, (Corey) Dillon, straight on down the line to (Doug) Gabriel, (Chad) Jackson. They all get their opportunities, (Benjamin) Watson and (Daniel) Graham as well. Tom forces you to defend the whole field because if a guy is open, regardless of who it is, he's going to get it to him.

On Brady’s interceptions versus Indianapolis…

I think there are definitely some elements of that on a couple of those. The one early, there was a shot there for a home run that he took a shot on and it didn't work out. The safety made a nice play. Another one he put it into some tight coverage, but he'll hit nine out of ten of those, and that tenth one they get. He's got that ability to thread it in there between defenders. Less often than not, they happen to get it, and they got it last game.

On Chad Pennington bouncing back from the Cleveland game…

I thought that there were quite a few balls yesterday that he did a nice job. He hit a seven route to Brad Smith yesterday on 4th and 2 during our two-minute period that was a really nice throw. He put it over the head of the corner and outside of the safety. With Chad, the similarity between Chad and Tom are pretty great in terms of the way that they reflect on things, they work on things, they correct things, and they continue to compete the same way.

On the depth at quarterback…

We were able to get Kellen (Clemens) some more reps during the bye week with the first group, so that was good for him. And then we mixed him in there some, as well, to keep him sharp. We do a lot of work with him after practice, as well, and Patrick (Ramsey) does this, in addition, going through the same script that we had with Chad.

On if Ramsey will be the back-up quarterback versus New England…

Yes.

On Ramsey being injured this week in practice…

Yes, as much as a quarterback can tweak in practice, but it was tweaked.

On the "rookie wall"…

Those guys, especially during the bye week, a lot of them were tone setters, they were the rabbits. They were out there setting the tempo. I haven't seen the signs of that coming, and I think that one of the good things that they've all done is hitched themselves to veterans, picking veterans' brains, trying to understand the process, trying to understand the best weekly approach. They take that information and it's not just something that they hear, they actually listen to it and apply the advice that the veterans help them with. I think that will go a long way to going through the extended season.

Thursday Injury Report

Jets

Questionable: FB B.J. Askew (foot), CB David Barrett (hip), WR Laveranues Coles (calf), WR Tim Dwight (thigh), RB Cedric Houston (knee), & WR Justin McCareins (foot)

Probable: *RB Kevan Barlow (calf), *LB Matt Chatham (foot), *CB Andre Dyson (ankle), *OL Pete Kendall (knee), *QB Chad Pennington (calf) & *QB Patrick Ramsey (thigh)

Patriots

Out: S Rodney Harrison (shoulder)

Questionable: TE Daniel Graham (ankle), CB Ellis Hobbs (wrist), G Russ Hochstein (ankle), RB Laurence Maroney (ankle), TE Garrett Mills (thigh), G Stephen Neal (shoulder), DL Richard Seymour (elbow), DL Ty Warren (shoulder) & S Eugene Wilson (hamstring)

Probable: *QB Tom Brady (R shoulder)

*Denotes players who participated in practice

http://jets.blogs.nj.com/default.asp?item=274624

26149-E4FDA1C4-D0AC-4D15-840B-5E18399DCB5B.jpg

Belichick Needs to Move On

I don't know about you, but I am getting very tired of listening to Belichick avoid questions about Jets' coach Eric Mangini. Why does the guy have to act like an ass every time the teams play? This week's meeting with the media went the same way as last time. The guy seems to have an issue with Mangini just because he left the Golden Empire and went to coach his own team.

"I think the Jets are a good football team; he's the coach,'' Belichick finally said in an exasperated tone. "I think he's done a good job with them. We have a lot of respect for him. What do you want me to say?''

It was like it killed the guy to say something positive about Mangini. I guess it will probably continue until the Jets kick the Patriots butt one time, then Belichick won't be so cocky. For now though, we will have to continue to listen to him wage his cold war against his former defensive coordinator and "friend" Eric Mangini.

Next Two Weeks to Decide Season

Like it or not, weeks 10 and 11 will decide Gang Green's fate for the 2006 season. This week against the Patriots in Foxboro and next week's game at home against the Bears will be the telling tale of how Mangini's first season turns out.

"But while he deserves kudos for the job he's done thus far, the next two weeks will be a true litmus test. With a pair of Super Bowl contenders on the schedule in New England and Chicago, we will see what the Jets coach is all about."

That is what Dan Leberfeld wrote today in his piece on MSGNetwork.com.

The team can be anywhere from 4-6 to 6-4 over the next two weeks. The difference between those two records is huge at this portion of the NFL schedule. All said and done, if the Jets can win at least one of these next two games and be sitting at 5-5 with six games left, a successful season is still very much there for the taking.

Washington: We Control Our Destiny

Published: 11-09-06

By Jets PR Department

Regular Contributor

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/washington-we-control-our-destiny

The New York Jets rookie class has now played in 12 games when you combine the preseason schedule and the regular season slate. That number would equate to a full college season, but head coach Eric Mangini hasn't seen any sign of his first-year players hitting the "rookie wall."

"Those guys, especially during the bye week, a lot of them were tone setters," Mangini said. "They were the rabbits; they were out there setting the tempo. I haven't seen the signs of that coming, and I think that one of the good things that they've all done is hitched themselves to veterans. They have been picking veterans' brains, trying to understand the process and trying to understand the best weekly approach."

Leon Washington, a fourth round selection from Florida State last April, leads the Green & White in rushing with 397 yards. Washington, a shifty 5'8", 202-pound back, ran for 129 yards against the Lions in week seven. It was the most yardage gained by a Jets rookie running back since Matt Snell rushed for 180 yards in 1964. Washington has averaged 4.6 yards per carry and it shouldn't come as a surprise that he doesn't feel he has met the "wall."

"I feel good; I feel fortunate," Washington said Thursday. "Twelve games already, including preseason, that’s a college season. But I feel pretty good, so I don’t think I got there yet."

Read below for transcripts from Inside the Locker Room

New York Jets’ DE Bryan Thomas, 11.9

On how difficult his job is against Tom Brady…

Tom Brady is an excellent quarterback. Like you said, in the last game, he had 10 different receivers. Finding the receivers on the field and knowing where he wants to go with the ball, that’s excellent. Playing against such a good quarterback, we’ll just have to go out there and play well. He’s a good quarterback, he sees the field well and watching him on film is exciting.

On how important the pass rush is against Tom Brady…

With any quarterback, if you give him time to find his receivers, he’s going to find them. If that wasn’t the case, they wouldn’t be quarterback. Any quarterback can hurt you, given time.

On wanting to turn it up more than normal for Tom Brady…

Like I said, we’re just going to execute the game plan. Whatever the game plan calls for at the time, that’s what we’re going to do, it’s a coaching decision. Whatever is required of us at the time, that’s what we’re going to execute and that’s what we’re going to do out there.

New York Jets’ RB Leon Washington, 11.9

On what stands out about New England’s front seven…

You have a veteran group of guys who have played together for a long time and know how to run it really well. You have guys who, like I said, know how to do what they need to do to win games. Their front seven, basically doesn’t make mistakes. We’ll have to go out there, play hard and be conscious of that.

On how to combat the front seven…

Basically, what you want to do is go out there, execute and don’t hurt yourself. They’re the New England Patriots, so they’re not going to make a lot of mistakes.

On the “Rookie Wall”…

I’ve been talking to some of the other rookies, and I’ve been talking to the coaches about the things they went through when they were rookies; I don’t think I got there yet, so that’s a good thing. I feel good, I feel fortunate. Twelve games already, including preseason, that’s a college season, but I feel pretty good, so I don’t think I got there yet.

On being ready for a heavy work-load in the second half…

Who knows? The way we approach the season and the way we approach practice, you prepare yourself, so if the opportunity comes, you’ll be ready for it.

On how to ward off the “Rookie Wall”…

It’s all mental. That’s what coach Sam Gash was explaining to me and the other rookies. When you start to feel tired, like you can’t do it anymore, it’s all mental. Just think about some tough things that you’ve been through in your life and try to relate it.

On how much he played in the last New England game…

I think I returned a few kicks, so I had a chance on the sideline to actually go out there and look, which was good, to evaluate from the sideline. I learned a lot from that game.

On having an advantage since he didn’t play much last time…

I wouldn’t say it’s a big advantage. They’ve played against very good running backs before and we just want to go out there and do the things we need to do to have a chance to win.

On Belichick’s compliments…

I accept his compliments. Belickick is a guy who has been around football for a long time, I definitely accept that compliment. Like said before, I’m going to approach this game the same way I approach every game. I will prepare myself in practice, and if I have the opportunity to go out there and give my team energy, provide a spark, then I’m going to do that. I’ve just been fortunate enough to get an opportunity.

On having similar stats to Laurence Maroney’s…

Actually, I don’t even look at the stats because the main thing is the win and loss column. I don’t really look at the stats, I let that stuff handle itself on the field; if I go out there and do the right thing, it will handle itself. The main thing is the win and loss column.

On being recognized at the end of the year, as one of the top rookie running backs…

I would be telling stories if I said I didn’t want to do the best I could. That’s the way I am, I want to go out there and do the best that I can and if that’s going out there and leading the rookies in rushing at the end of the year, then so be it. But like I said, the main thing is winning games.

On being excited to play…

You should always be excited about getting an opportunity to play in this league. Some of these guys never get a chance to play, there are only 45 guys on the roster. That’s the way I view it, I go out there and try to do my job to give us the best chance to win.

On winning this game to get back on track…

Whenever you win a game, it’s always good for your team and there’s momentum that you could create from that. Whenever you go into an NFL game, you play to win. I’m just going to go out there and try to win this game. It will be a tough challenge to beat this New England team, but at the same time we control our destiny and we like it that way.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jets-defense&prov=ap&type=lgns

Jets looking to tackle defensive issues

By DENNIS WASZAK Jr., AP Sports Writer

November 9, 2006

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- The New York Jets have had their share of struggles on defense this season, and coach Eric Mangini has the simple solution.

"One of the things that we work on all the time that we need to do better and need to be more consistent with is tackling," Mangini said Thursday.

Sounds pretty fundamental, especially for an NFL team that's 4-4 and has playoff aspirations.

"It's so important that the 3-yard runs stay 3-yard runs, the 8-yard runs stay 8-yard runs and we can't give up those extra yards after contact," Mangini said.

That's precisely at the heart of some of the Jets' biggest defensive problems. New York is ranked second-to-last in overall defense, with its run unit 30th in the league after allowing an average of 143 yards rushing per game. Many times this season, opposing running backs have hit a hole and been met by a defender -- but managed to break away for a long gain.

"Tackling is critical," Mangini said. "Even tackling in the passing game where in Jacksonville, they threw a 6- or 7-yard completion, you get a missed tackle -- now it's a 41-yard pass, where it's really not a 41-yard pass, it's the catch, missed tackle and yards after the catch. That stuff is critical for improving the overall production."

The art of the tackle is often an afterthought in the professional ranks, but Mangini has been stressing it lately to all the players -- even some of the best tacklers on the team.

"Sometimes when you lose sight of the fundamentals and you're just big picture, that's the game that, really, the fundamentals could have helped you because you're in the right spot, but maybe you lose your leverage on the ball carrier and he cuts back and things like that," Mangini said.

The players have been peppered for weeks with questions about their adjustment to the 3-4 defensive scheme from the 4-3. They've also heard all about their habitual fourth-quarter letdowns, and their inability to consistently stop the run.

They're just determined to have the second half of the season breed new results.

"We're hoping that we do a lot more than we've been doing," defensive end Shaun Ellis said. "It's just the fact that the coaches need to feel comfortable, and we've got to feel comfortable, too. The main thing is we've got to be more consistent as a defensive unit."

And that all starts Sunday against the New England Patriots. They have the seventh-ranked rushing attack with rookie Laurence Maroney (458 yards, three touchdowns) and veteran Corey Dillon (381, six TDs) leading a two-headed punch.

And then there's the issue of dealing with Tom Brady.

The Patriots quarterback is coming off a rare four-interception game in a 27-20 loss to Indianapolis, and New England hasn't lost consecutive games since Dec. 2002 -- a span of 57 contests. On top of that, the Patriots have won seven straight against the Jets.

"Of course it would be big, it would be great, especially since it's a divisional game and we always want to rack those victories up," linebacker Jonathan Vilma said of beating the Patriots. "But we're not going to go out there as we haven't done in any game and make it out to be the Super Bowl or the game of all games for the season."

New York knows it needs to pressure Brady into rushing throws and force him into making mistakes. That will only come with a consistent pass rush -- something else the Jets have struggled with.

"With any quarterback, if you give him time to find his receivers, he's going to find them," said defensive end Bryan Thomas, who has two of the Jets' 13 sacks. "Any quarterback can hurt you, given time."

Brady obviously isn't just any quarterback. He's 9-1 as a starter against New York, and has been exceptionally efficient in his 11 games facing the Jets -- throwing 11 touchdown passes and just four interceptions.

"Tom forces you to defend the whole field because if a guy is open, regardless of who it is, he's going to get it to him," Mangini said.

With an extra week of preparation following the bye week, the Jets insist they've put the first eight games behind them.

"It's kind of a two-month race now, so as much as it's a game against the Patriots and as much as they're our rival, it's the first game of this new opportunity to thrive," said linebacker Matt Chatham, who spent the last six seasons with New England. "It's the first game to go out and prove that we're a better team in the second half and we're capable of picking up the slack."

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMTc1NzImeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Jets' Washington showing no signs of fatigue

By RANDY LANGE

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Talking about the "NFL rookie wall" the second week of November is like talking about North Jersey leaves turning colors the second week of October. Maybe a little premature.

On the other hand, the Jets have a lot of rookies approaching said wall. And none is more important to a smooth-functioning second half than Gang Green's de facto starting tailback.

"I feel good. I feel fortunate," said Leon Washington, the (almost) 5-foot-8, 202-pound fourth-rounder. "Twelve games already, including preseason -- that's a college season. But I feel pretty good, so I don't think I got there yet."

Washington said he's been networking with the Jets' other rookies and consulting with assistant running backs coach Sam Gash on this concept of the barrier many first-year players confront in the 11th month.

"It's all mental -- that's what Coach Gash was explaining to me and the other rookies," he said. "When you start to feel tired, like you can't do it anymore, it's all mental. Think about some tough things you've been through in your life and try to relate it."

We heard all about Washington's tough upbringing in Jacksonville before the Jets played the Jaguars in Week 5. That was the game in which he began to emerge. He didn't start -- fellow rookie Brad Smith took a toss as the tailback on the first play -- but he was the next tailback in and wound up as the first Jets rookie since Blair Thomas to rush for 100 yards.

Washington started the next three games and picked up 129 yards and two TDs against Detroit. Heading into Game 9 at New England, his 397 yards trail only Joseph Addai of the Colts (490 yards) and the Patriots' Laurence Maroney (458) in the race for the rookie rushing title.

"I would be telling stories if I said I didn't want to do the best I could," Washington said. "That's the way I am. I want to do the best I can, and if that's leading the rookies in rushing at the end of the year, then so be it. But the main thing is winning games."

Besides the yardage, there is the usage. In the last four games, here is how the Jets' tailbacks have divided the offensive workload:

Washington: 168 plays, 71 carries.

Kevan Barlow: 60 plays, 34 carries.

Derrick Blayock: no plays (inactive two games)

Cedric Houston: no plays (inactive four games)

Considering all this, wearing Washington down has to be a Jets concern. But coach Eric Mangini said he's seen no signs of fatigue from his little big man, or any of the other rookies.

"During the bye week, they were the rabbits, they were out there setting the tempo," Mangini said. "I haven't seen the signs of that coming, and I think that one of the good things they've all done is hitched themselves to veterans, picking veterans' brains, trying to understand the process, the best weekly approach."

So there's no reason to expect Washington to be coddled and throttled-down in the second half. On Sunday, he could well surprise the Patriots, against whom he got three plays and one carry in Game 2.

But it may be time to try to pound the Pats with multiple ground weapons, so Barlow's contributions could increase. And Houston, who has been out since hyperextending his knee vs. Indianapolis, has been moving around more in practice this week and could return to the mix.

"Who knows?" Washington said of his anticipated workload as the wall looms. "The way we approach the season and the way we approach practice, you prepare yourself so if the opportunity comes, you'll be ready for it."

Archived