JETS ARTICLES - SAT 11/25

Sperm Edwards

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1164434995167190.xml&coll=1

Jets know Texans have lots of weapons

Saturday, November 25, 2006

BY ELI GELMAN

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jets cornerback Drew Coleman knows when he's getting picked on.

Two weeks ago it was Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, whose receivers beat him several times. Last week he missed a tackle on Bears receiver Mark Bradley on a short sideline pass and watched as the ball was taken 57 yards for a touchdown.

This week's bullies: Texans quarterback David Carr and 6-3, 219-pound, league-leading wideout Andre Johnson.

"Coach and (everybody) warned me: Once you show a weakness, it opens up the gates for everyone to look at you and attack you," Coleman said. "I know they're going to come after me. There's only one way to stop it: to get up there and get the (best) of them and stop them from coming at you. Or they'll keep throwing at you throughout your career. It's either go ahead and stop it now or you can get used to it."

If it makes Coleman feel any better, he's not the only one who might get picked on when Houston (3-7) visits Giants Stadium tomorrow. The Texans are not the pushovers they used to be and have a potentially explosive offense.

Carr leads the NFL with a 69.5 percent completion rate and has his share of targets. If it's not Johnson -- who is atop the league with 74 receptions and fourth with 884 receiving yards -- it's veteran wideout Eric Moulds (39 grabs) making plays. Then there's rookie tight end Owen Daniels, who is tied for second in the league at his position with five touchdown catches.

The Jets defense must also contend with Houston's ground game. The Texans rushed for 188 yards last week and are averaging 139.2 yards on the ground the last five games.

"A lot has to do with them having two very good receivers that scare teams out of pressuring them," Jets linebacker Victor Hobson said. "They present a lot of problems with the offensive line playing good and with the running game getting better each week.

"As an outside linebacker, you have to be ready in all phases. You got to be prepared to stop the run, but at the same time that tight end could release for a pass and he might be your responsibility as far as your pass drop, so you have to be ready for everything."

While the Texans' running game continues to improve, their air attack is garnering most of the Jets' attention. And no receiver is being talked about more than Johnson.

"He's just so gifted and so big," Coleman said. "We know they want to give him the ball. We've seen him in triple coverage and quadruple coverage and Carr's still trying to give him the ball. So we know we can't relax on him on one play."

"He's a good all-around receiver -- big, strong, fast and very athletic. He goes up and grabs the ball out of the air," Jets safety Erik Coleman said. "It's tough to stop a guy like that. I don't think anyone has this year. We're going to try to slow him down as much as we can."

But at the end of the day the offense runs through Carr. With an improved offensive line, shorter passes and more three-step drops, he has been sacked 25 times through 10 games. Last year at this point, it was 47 sacks.

"He can buy time with his feet in the pocket and he can also pull it down and run with the football, which makes him that much more of a threat overall to the defense," Jets coach Eric Mangini said.

Said Hobson: "They're a whole lot better than their record says. That's something I pretty much threw out the window. We definitely have our work cut out for us."

Notes: RB Cedric Houston says he did not aggravate his knee injury against the Bears last week despite being listed as questionable. Said Mangini: "(He's) there because it's something that came up, but I wouldn't say it's as significant as it has been, but it's something that we monitor." ... CB Andre Dyson (neck) is listed as questionable but says, "I don't plan on (not playing)."...

Mangini finally explained yesterday why he doesn't predict whether injured players can suit up. He doesn't trust his gut feelings. "Even though I have a sizable gut, those feelings aren't always correct," the coach quipped. ... Texans DE Mario Williams (foot) returned to practice yesterday after sitting out Thursday. He's listed as probable. DE Jason Babin (illness) is listed as probable but did not practice yesterday.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/474510p-399163c.html

Jets scramble backfield

Cedric, Kevan, Leon all in mix

BY KRISTIE ACKERT

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

In the last three games, the Jets have had three different leading ushers.

Last week, it was Cedric Houston running for 50 yards in a 10-0 loss to the Bears. With Houston's successful return from a knee injury, plus Kevan Barlow and Leon Washington, the Jets have a crowded and confusing backfield.

With three healthy backs, who will be the odd man out when the Jets face the Houston Texans tomorrow at the Meadowlands?

No one, Eric Mangini said.

"It will be week in and week out, just their package of plays, how those plays end up hitting against the opponent," the Jets' coach said. "Each one of those guys brings a different element, a different strength to the running game and really to the passing game, for that matter."

Mangini was adamant that a three-back system can work, and he does not intend to whittle it down to two. The smaller, faster Washington has become the Jets' rushing leader with 452 yards. Barlow is leading the team in rushing touchdowns with six. In his return last week, Houston averaged 4.5 yards on 11 carries.

"He did a really nice job," Mangini said of Houston's return. "When Cedric comes through there, he makes you deal with him. That's a really positive trait; you're going to tackle him, but he's going to make sure you feel his presence."

But Mangini also was quick to heap praise on his other backs.

"Kevan had a good game the week before," Mangini said. "Leon has had some good games. They all complement each other. Each game just unfolds a little bit differently. New England happened to unfold one way and Kevan was really productive. This past week, it happened to be Cedric's turn to be productive."

It's an unusual arrangement, even a somewhat delicate one, but in some ways better than the past.

For years, while Curtis Martin was the only running back the Jets needed, his apparent heir, LaMont Jordan, grew anxious and fumed.

None of the three backs has asked for more touches as Jordan did, and they are learning to make the system work, Barlow said.

"In our minds, we're all starters. I know I think I'm a starter," Barlow said. "I think Leon Washington runs a lot of plays better than me, I think Cedric Houston does too and vice versa with myself. It comes down to a matter of the downs, the distance, the personnel, the position all of it comes into play.

"The bottom line is, it's working. If it's not broke, don't fix it."

DUEL STILL ON: Texans DE Mario Williams, the No.1 draft pick who has been battling plantar fasciitis, did not practice yesterday. It was the first time this week he had missed practice, but he still is listed as probable to match up against No.4 pick D'Brickashaw Ferguson ... No word on CB Andre Dyson (neck), who Mangini said had taken reps in practice: "It's like a lot of these injuries, we don't like to make any decisions too early or judgments too early."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11252006/sports/jets/backfield_boggle_jets_pat_reichart.htm

BACKFIELD BOGGLE

By PAT REICHART

November 25, 2006 -- For a man who stood at a podium yesterday morning and for 13 minutes preached consistency above all else, it's surprising that Jets head coach Eric Mangini presides over one of the most mysterious and unpredictable running games in football.

Consider that in the Jets' eighth, ninth and 10th games of the season, they have featured three different leading rushers - Leon Washington (15 carries for 51 yards at Cleveland), Kevan Barlow (17-75 at New England) and Cedric Houston (11-50 vs. Chicago).

Their leading rusher on the season, Washington (454 yards), has one-third of the number of the touchdowns as Barlow (who enters tomorrow's game with six), yet Houston averages the most yards per carry (4.4) of the three.

So who can we expect to get the majority of the touches tomorrow afternoon against the 3-7 Houston Texans - a game that's critical for the 5-5 Jets' playoff dream?

"The goal is to have as many successful running plays as we can, and different guys are going to hit on different things," said Mangini, refusing to divulge the details of his offensive game plan. "Each game just unfolds a little bit differently. New England happened to unfold one way and Kevan was really productive. This past week, it happened to be Cedric's turn to be productive. We're looking for that."

While splitting carries is nothing new in the NFL, dividing them among three backs is nearly impossible on a week-to-week basis. Last week against the Bears, Barlow carried the ball just four times for two yards. It was a far cry from the week before, when he got the majority of the carries and yardage against New England.

"I've never had to share a rotation [before]," said Barlow, who was the primary running back for San Francisco before the Jets acquired him in late August. "I've adjusted to it. It's helping us win games and we're being productive."

Still, it has to be difficult not knowing what - if any - role you will play from one game to the next.

"I think we all three think we can be productive. In our minds, we're all starters. I know I think I'm a starter," said Barlow.

Washington added, "Every guy has to be ready, because you never know how the game may go and when your name is called on, you need to take advantage of your opportunity."

In spite of the uncertainty, the backs keep producing. The Jets average 112.1 yards on the ground per game, and while they may not be flashy (only two rushes over 20 yards this season), they are consistent.

"Leon's a fast, shifty guy in there. You've got Kevan, more of a power guy, myself more of a power, slasher guy," said Houston. "It's three different looks coming at you, so I think that gives defenses problems."

Going up against the Texans and their porous run defense (125.2 yards/game) should help the trio succeed, too.

"I think each one of them will do something well against that group," said Mangini.

Chad Pennington did not address the media before practice yesterday, but after hearing a week of criticism about his quarterback, Mangini praised Pennington for his ability to stay focused on football.

"Chad is really the same guy every week," said the head coach. "He only knows one way to approach things, and that's full throttle. He's a really consistent person and a really consistent pro."

Mangini heaped praise upon tight end Sean Ryan during yesterday's press conference. "Each week [he] improves a little bit more and each week contributes a little bit more, not just on offense, but on special teams," Mangini said. Look for Ryan to receive increased playing time in the coming weeks.

CB Andre Dyson (neck) is still listed as questionable for Sunday, though he has taken some reps this week. Mangini, addressing Dyson's status, said, "You know I have a sizeable gut, but I try to stay away from gut feelings. Those feelings aren't always correct."

Jets vs. Texans: The Key Match-ups

Published: 11-25-06

By Real Football

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/jets-vs-texans-the-key-match-ups

Two first-year head coaches go head-to-head. Gary Kubiak and the young Houston Texans travel to the Meadowlands to take on Eric Mangini's tough-minded New York Jets.

Houston goes back on the road after suffering the team's most painful loss of the season at home last Sunday. David Carr played his best game of the year and tied an NFL-record with 22 consecutive completions, but his performance was outmatched by Buffalo's J.P. Losman, who scorched the Texans secondary for three touchdowns, including the game winner to Peerless Price with only nine seconds remaining in the game. Can Houston regroup and get back on the winning track? Or will the heartbreaking loss carry over to this week?

Last week the Jets gave the best team in the NFC all they could handle, but came away empty handed. Rex Grossman and the Chicago Bears offense could only produce ten points against the New York defense, but the Jets offense missed opportunities to score and got shutout at home. Can the offense put up some points this week? And can the defense slow down the rhythm of Carr and the Texans offense?

Match-up 1

CB DeMarcus Faggins (5’10’’, 178) vs. WR Jerrico Cotchery (6’0'', 207)

Faggins is still recovering from an injured foot that has kept him out of most of the season, and his acceleration out of his backpedal is not where it needs to be. However, despite getting torched by Lee Evans last week, Faggins will not be afraid of getting beat deep by Cotchery, who is not extremely fast but runs crisp short to intermediate routes and catches the ball in traffic. Quarterback Chad Pennington does not have much time to throw the deep ball, and he will sometimes struggle to throw the deep out. When a safety provides help over the top, Faggins will anticipate curls and in cuts when lined up against Cotchery, who will use his greatest strength, his size, to his advantage and get open. Faggins will have difficulties jamming Cotchery at the line of scrimmage and tackling the bigger receiver after the catch.

Match-up 2

DT Anthony Maddox (6’1’’, 305) vs. LG Pete Kendall (6’5’’, 292)

Because of season-ending injuries to the Texans starting defensive tackles, Seth Payne and Travis Johnson, Maddox is now the team's best defensive tackle. With that comes the responsibility of handling double teams. Pete Kendall will not need much help stopping Maddox in passing situations, which will free up rookie center Nick Mangold to help right guard Brandon Moore. But Kendall will need assistance in the running game. Maddox plays with a great motor and displays power at the point of attack. He will use his lower center of gravity to gain leverage on the bigger Kendall and demand double teams. However, the Jets prefer to run outside of the tackles. So, Maddox's greatest strength will be minimized.

Match-up 3

RT Eric Winston (6’6’’, 311) vs. DE Shaun Ellis (6’5’’, 285)

Winston will be starting his third game of his young career against one of the best defensive ends in the AFC. Shaun Ellis has the speed and power from the edge to give Winston fits. Although he only has three sacks this season, Ellis has achieved that despite constant double teams. The Texans will line up tight end Mark Bruener on Winston's side and let the two of them control Ellis. In passing situations, the double team will be a guarantee, but Winston will have to block Ellis in the running game by himself. Winston has the height and weight advantage, but Ellis has a longer wingspan and plays better with his hands. Winston will not be able to hook Ellis on runs to the outside, but he should be able to drive the defensive end on power running plays between the tackles. Regardless, Ellis is the more dominant player and should make more of an impact this Sunday.

Things to Look For:

Teams: The Jets have won the only two meetings between these teams…Five of the Texans last seven games, including the last four in a row, have been decided by six points or less…The Jets have not allowed more than 20 points in four of the last five games.

Chad Pennington: Jets are 17-6, and have won ten of their last 11 when Pennington completes at least 65% of his passes…He completed 74% in his only game against the Texans in 2004…Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery have accounted for 102 of Pennington’s 177 completions.

Kevan Barlow: Needs one TD to tie career-high of seven set with San Francisco in 2004.

Laveranues Coles: Coles is 4th in the AFC with 59 receptions…Has at least four catches in nine of ten games this season.

Justin Miller: Is 2nd in the NFL with a 28.9 yard average on kickoff returns…he has two of four longest kickoff returns in team history this season (103 and 99).

Kerry Rhodes: Leads the team with 4 sacks.

David Carr: Leads the NFL in completion percentage (69.5%)…tied an NFL-record with 22 consecutive completions against the Bills last week.

Andre Johnson: Leads the NFL with 74 receptions and his 884 receiving yards are 3rd-best in the league…116 receiving yards will give him his second 1,000-yard season in three years.

Wali Lundy: Has a team-high three rushing touchdowns…has either a rushing TD or 100 rushing yards in four of the last five games.

Samkon Gado: Is averaging 5 yards per rush on his last 27 carries.

Eric Moulds: Has a TD catch in each of his last two games against the Jets as a member of the Buffalo Bills.

Demeco Ryans: The rookie has led the team in tackles in five of their 10 games this year.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets254990527nov25,0,1615595.story?coll=ny-jets-print

Mangini using Washington's special ability to spur defense

BY JEFF GOLD

Newsday Staff Writer

November 25, 2006

Eric Mangini has made no secret that excellence on special teams can lead to a more glamorous role. During the past two weeks, special-teams standout Rashad Washington has seen his playing time in the secondary increase.

"He is really outstanding on special teams, one of our best," Mangini said. "Based on the things he has done on special teams, I thought it was important to give him the opportunity to expand his role and see if he could contribute on the defensive side of the ball as well."

The results have been positive. Through the first eight games, Washington had nine tackles, all on special teams. In the last two games, he's made eight tackles, and six have come on defense.

"I really like Rashad's toughness," Mangini said. "He has a very good ability to not just tackle but he's a physical player. I think that's always a plus in the secondary, to have that element."

"I think I'm the type of player that's made for the box," said the 6-1, 217-pound Washington, who is in his third year out of Kansas State. "I'm a good blitzer."

The Jets' special-teams units have been a strength thus far. They are the only team in the league to have returned two kickoffs for touchdowns. They rank in the top half of the NFL in punt and kickoff returns, and punt and kickoff coverage.

Mangini pointed to linebacker Anthony Schlegel as another player who has impressed on special teams and could see his role on the team become more substantial.

Schlegel, a rookie from Ohio State, was inactive through the first nine games but has impressed Mangini with a consistent energy in practice. He played in his first game last week against Chicago. The next step for Schlegel is to make a mark on special teams during a game. If he does, an increased role similar to Washington's could follow.

"I think that special teams are such a big part of this game at the NFL level. You have to perform well on them to see the field on defense," Schlegel said. "You see a guy like [Washington] go out there day in and day out and bust his tail. When you practice hard and play well, good things happen. Everyone notices how hard guys practice."

Notes & quotes: Mangini declined to speculate about whether cornerback Andre Dyson will play in Sunday's game against the Texans. When asked if he has a "gut" feeling one way or the other, he offered the following: "You know I have a sizable gut, but I try to stay away from gut feelings. Those feelings aren't always correct." Dyson, who has a neck injury and is listed as questionable, did not participate fully in practice ... Mangini made a special point at the beginning of his pre-practice news conference to praise the play of tight end Sean Ryan, saying his "motor" has been consistent and that he's steadily improved on offense and special teams.

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061125/SPORTS01/611250377/1108/SPORTS01

Jets' backup Ryan earns Mangini's praises

By Jake Thomases

The Journal News

(Original Publication: November 25, 2006)

HEMPSTEAD - The Jets opened last Sunday's game against the Chicago Bears with a two-tight-end set, and yesterday coach Eric Mangini singled out the lesser known of those two for his performance with the first-team offense.

"He's a guy that consistently has the same work ethic, consistently has the same type of motor, and each week improves a little bit more and each week contributes a little bit more, not just on offense, but also on special teams," Mangini said of Sean Ryan, the third-year tight end out of Boston College.

Ryan earned the starting nod as the second tight end because of a foot injury to fullback B.J. Askew that kept him out of the game. Ryan and backup fullback James Hodgins rotated into Askew's spot throughout the Jets' 10-0 loss to the Bears as the Jets flip-flopped between a normal fullback set and a two-tight-end set. Neither caught a pass, although Hodgins was thrown to once.

Askew is listed as questionable for tomorrow's game against the Houston Texans. He did practice yesterday, though with a noticeable limp. Neither he nor Mangini would comment on his progress.

If he can't suit up, it's expected that Ryan and Hodgins will again split time in his spot. Of Hodgins' performance, a terse Askew said only: "I think he did a great job."

An eighth-year fullback out of San Jose State, Hodgins was a starter on four St. Louis teams, including the 1999 Super Bowl champions. He also started for the 2003 Arizona Cardinals, where he caught a career-high 14 passes. He was signed as a free agent by the Jets in late September.

"It was good to be back in the flow of things, get some snaps and, you know, get in rhythm out there," said the 6-foot-1, 265-pounder. "It's hard when you're coming in and out of the game. In this game I was able to get three, four plays at a time together and really get in the flow of the game, so I enjoyed that."

Ryan has caught four balls this year after playing two seasons in Dallas without a reception. Still, he and Hodgins are known more for their blocking.

Askew's ability to carry the ball and catch passes out of the backfield was missed against the Bears. But the Jets prepared for his absence by running all three players through the same drills, schooling them in the same plays.

"We've been working in practice, making sure everyone's on the same page so if someone were to get hurt or something were to happen we each could fill in and everyone knows what to do," Ryan said.

"Really with Sean Ryan, even though Sean is a tight end, he plays in similar type roles as those two guys do," Mangini said. "He can do the same things both those players do. Just like James will do some of the things that Sean does in our two-tight-end sets. You're always trying to build in the flexibility between those two positions so if you have to change who's going into the game, you don't necessarily have to change all the elements of the running and passing game."

By bringing up Ryan unprompted in the opening statement of his press conference, Mangini perhaps dropped a hint to something he wouldn't dare spell out before game day. If the tight end again gets the starting nod, look for him to get more offensive snaps than last week.

Notes: Running back Cedric Houston (knee), who led the team in rushing last week, and cornerbacks David Barrett (hip) and Andre Dyson (neck) are listed as questionable along with Askew. When asked whether Dyson would play, Mangini said, "You know I have a sizable gut, but I try to stay away from gut feelings.'' ... Defensive end Antwan Peek (knee, doubtful) is the only Texan on the injury report not listed as probable. ... Mangini said he was giving special-teams standouts Rashad Washington and Anthony Schlegel a chance to expand their roles on defense. Washington may see time at safety and Schlegel may play some linebacker. ... Running back Leon Washington on the rookie wall: "I haven't hit it yet. Or at least I haven't noticed I hit it.'' ... Hodgins was among six Jets to deliver 100 turkeys plus fixings to Neighbors Together Soup Kitchen. The meal served 300 of the 1.7 million people living below the poverty line in New York City.

AGross blog: http://jets.lohudblogs.com/2006/11/24/and-a-few-more-things/

And a few more things

November 24

It’s funny. You can write a lengthy game preview along with a scouting report and still feel like you haven’t touched upon all the factors that may come into play on Sunday.

Thank goodness for blogs.

For Sunday’s newspaper (the preview material is always due on Fridays) I focused on quarterback Chad Pennington and how he might fare against the Texans’ weak pass defense.

The short version: He should do well, everybody else has.

Where I did not go was to bring up Houston’s fine receivers, Andre Johnson and Eric Moulds, as well as Texans rookie running back Wali Lundy. The Jets’ pass defense has been roughly as bad as Houston’s and Johnson is a definite deep threat. He’s been listed as probable this week with a thigh injury and Texans coach Gary Kubiak has admitted it’s ``a concern.’’ But there seems little chance Johnson will miss the game since he was able to practice today.

The Jets’ cornerbacks will certainly be tested since Texans quarterback David Carr is an accurate thrower – he completed 22 in a row against the Bills last week – and given that there might be a lot of single coverage if the Jets continue to blitz aggressively. It doesn’t sound like Andre Dyson will be available and David Barrett is also questionable so Justin Miller and Drew Coleman must step up.

Meanwhile, Lundy, with 404 rushing yards, is one of four rookie running backs to surpass 400 so far this season, the Jets’ Leon Washington (454) the Colts’ Joseph Addai (618) and the Patriots’ Laurence Maroney (577) are the others.

The Broncos’ Mike Bell has rushed for 395 yards so there’s an outside chance this could be the first season since 1983 and just the third time ever that five rookie running backs have gained 700 yards.

The Jets’ run defense has been better of late; they can’t have a slip up here.

Meanwhile, Jets coach Eric Mangini revealed today that running back Cedric Houston’s appearance on the injury list as questionable with a knee injury is because of a new setback from the left knee problem that kept Houston sidelined for five games.

``It’s there because it’s something that came up,’’ Mangini said. ``I wouldn’t say that it’s as significant as it has been, but it’s something that we monitor.’’

As for a prediction, I was going to take the Jets, 20-7, but my sister-in-law, Lee, in town for Thanksgiving, just predicted the Jets by six. So give me the Jets, 20-14. The line, by the way, has closed to the Jets minus-4.5. I saw it as high as Jets minus-6.5 earlier this week.

The weather is supposed to be beautiful Sunday, around 60, possibly making it a higher-scoring game but I’ll still take the under. That line is 39.5.

As always, looking forward to hearing everybody else’s take on the game. Predictions, of course, are more than welcome.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2674401

AFC East: Eric Mangini has done an amazing job of rebuilding the Jets and being competitive at the same time. Even though the Jets are just 1-4 against teams that are .500 or better, they are in the playoff hunt. As of now, they don't play a team with a winning record down the stretch. The Jets' closing schedule, against teams with a combined record of 22-39, is the easiest in football, making them a legitimate playoff contender. Still, they probably won't be able to catch the Patriots, who have a two-game lead. The Patriots play only two teams -- the Bears on Sunday (home) and the Jaguars (at Jacksonville) on Dec. 24 -- with records of .500 or better. With that schedule, the Patriots should finish 11-5. With five losses already, the Jets won't catch them. As for the Dolphins, their remaining schedule is tough. Nick Saban's best hope is to finish 8-8 or 9-7.

Archived