JETS ARTICLES - TUE 12/19

Sperm Edwards

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6286214

Jets in thick of playoff hunt

/ Associated Press

Posted: 8 hours ago

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) - The New York Jets were supposed to be thinking about next season by now.

With two games left in a surprising regular season, they find themselves smack in the middle of the playoff hunt.

"We're all excited about it," coach Eric Mangini said Monday. "This is a great opportunity. The hard work that we've put in throughout the season, the progress that we've made throughout the season, this is what you want - to be playing meaningful games late in the season. This is that opportunity."

The Jets (8-6) beat the Vikings 26-13 at Minnesota on Sunday, putting themselves on the outside edge of the AFC playoff picture. With two wild-card spots up for grabs, New York is tied with Jacksonville and Denver, who hold tiebreaker edges over the Jets, and Cincinnati (8-6), which lost to Indianapolis on Monday night.

In a year that many predicted would be similar to last season's 4-12 disappointment, just being in position to potentially make the playoffs means this is already an incredibly successful first campaign for Mangini.

New York next plays at rival Miami (6-8) next Monday night - the first time a prime-time audience will get to see the resilient Jets. It will also be another test of whether this team truly is playoff material.

"It is big for us to have something to play for," safety Kerry Rhodes said. "Each game is getting bigger and bigger each week. It is on a national spotlight and it will be good to show the world what we have been doing here and letting them know what we are about."

The Jets went into Minnesota knowing they needed to win against a tough run defense. Armed with a nearly flawless game plan drawn up by offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, they set up the run with short passes and even had some success carrying the ball.

New York ended up with 68 yards rushing, including 53 and a touchdown by Cedric Houston, against a team that had allowed 54.1 yards on the ground. Chad Pennington also bounced back from a dreary performance against Buffalo the previous week, setting a career high with 339 yards passing and completing 12 of his passes to Laveranues Coles.

"I think those guys each week come up with a plan that attacks weaknesses, minimizes strengths, plays to our strengths and is very creative," Mangini said. "I know from experience, it's difficult to defend."

And so is a team that's highly motivated. Mangini, a boxing fan since his youth, has often shown films of famous fights to get his team mentally focused on upcoming opponents. Last week, he showed them highlights of WBA junior welterweight champion Aaron Pryor successfully defending his title against Gaetan Hart at the Riverfront Coliseum in Cincinnati in 1980.

At the end of the film was a taped message from the now 51-year-old Pryor, who wore a long-sleeved Jets T-shirt and a green Jets winter cap. He told the team: "Take it to the Vikings ... like I took it to Gaetan Hart." Nicknamed The Hawk during his boxing days, Pryor added: "What time is it? It's Hawk Time. What time is it? It's Jets Time."

The film earned Pryor, currently a minister in Cincinnati, and his wife, Frankie, each a game ball from Mangini, who had shown other bouts featuring Pryor earlier this season.

"He was relentless, tireless," Mangini said of Pryor, who went 39-1 with 35 knockouts. "He was always attacking. When the bell rang, he charged out of his corner. He had this way where if he was hit, even if he was knocked down, he'd get up smiling. That could be a big momentum turner in a fight, but the way he responded to that was so unnerving to his opponents, he switched something that should be an advantage to his opponent to his advantage. All those characteristics, the guys really responded to."

That might have been most evident early in Sunday's game when Pennington was sacked and fumbled the ball away on the Jets' second play. Minnesota recovered and scored three plays later.

New York came right back on its next possession and tied it with a long drive, capped by Houston's TD run.

"I think it was definitely something we talked about," Mangini said. "Every game is going to have adversity. How you respond to it is the key. Being able to move on from that and being able to not be fazed by that can avoid any sort of momentum shift."

The Jets want to keep the momentum on their side and their playoff hopes alive in Miami.

"Everybody wants to play in a prime-time game," linebacker Victor Hobson said. "Going back to when you played football as a child, playing at night was the big game. That is what everybody wanted to do. It is a big opportunity for us to display what we are capable of doing on national television."

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061219/SPORTS/612190332/1002/SPORTS

Brown hopes to play against Jets

BY CARL KOTALA

FLORIDA TODAY

Ronnie Brown had the cast on his left hand removed Monday and plans to play in next week's game against the New York Jets on Christmas night.

The Miami Dolphins running back has missed the past three games following surgery on Nov. 24 to stabilize a fracture in the second metacarpal of his left hand.

"I'm cleared to practice, so that's a good sign," Brown told reporters.

Dolphins coach Nick Saban stopped well short of saying Brown would play against the Jets.

"We talked about the healing process and him being able to function at his position and that's something that's going to be evaluated during his practice time," Saban said.

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1166510104315490.xml&coll=1

Jets look to make big-time statement

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Finally, after 15 weeks the Jets get the chance to show what they're about on the big stage.

On Christmas night, the Jets meet their archrivals, the Dolphins, in Miami on Monday Night Football in a must-win game. It doesn't get much bigger than this in the regular season.

The Jets (8-6) can claim the AFC East title by winning their final two games (Dolphins and Raiders) if the Patriots (10-4) lose to the Jaguars and Titans on the road.

They can claim one of the two AFC wild-card spots by winning both games while finishing with a better record than the Bengals, Broncos or Jaguars, who own the tiebreakers. They must beat out two of the three teams.

At 9-7, the Jets can still sneak in but they need an improbable string of scenarios to unfold. It's the longest of long shots.

In the Dolphins (6-8), the Jets will be facing an angry team that saw its playoff hopes officially end with a 21-0 loss to the Bills on Sunday. The Dolphins would like nothing more than to ruin the Jets' season, especially defensive end Jason Taylor, a noted Jets hater.

Taylor, by the way, is vying for the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year Award. He has 12 1/2 sacks, nine forced fumbles, two interceptions (both returned for touchdowns), one fumble recovery and 55 tackles.

"It's big for us to have something to play for," safety Kerry Rhodes said yesterday. "Each game is getting bigger and bigger each week. It's in the national spotlight and it'll be good to show the world what we've been doing here and letting them know what we're about."

"Everybody wants to play in a prime-time game," linebacker Victor Hobson said. "Going back to when you played football as a child, playing at night was the big game. That's what everybody wanted to do. It's a big opportunity for us to display what we're capable of doing on national television."

Although the Jets are playing in Miami, the good news is they've been road warriors this season. They're 5-2 away from home and have won three straight on the road, including a 26-13 win over the Vikings on Sunday.

"Going against Miami is going to be tough," Rhodes said. "They're going to want to play the role of spoilers and they're going to be up for the game. It'll be a tough place to play."

But it'll also be fun. And, it will be a far cry from last season when the Jets were just playing out the schedule en route to a 4-12 record.

"I don't have a frame of reference from last year. I just know that we're all excited," coach Eric Mangini said. "We're all excited about playing in these games. This is a great opportunity.

"The hard work that we've put in throughout the season, the progress that we've made throughout the season, that is what you want, to be playing meaningful games late in the season. This is that opportunity.

"It's something everybody realizes. It's something everybody understands. The most important thing that we all need to understand is all that excitement needs to be focused and pushed toward our preparation and week of practice for Miami."

The Jets beat the Dolphins, 20-17, in a Week 6 game at Giants Stadium in which normally dependable kicker Olindo Mare missed a 51-yard game-tying field goal in the final seconds.

"Obviously, it was a tough game last time so it's not going to be a walk in the park for us," linebacker Jonathan Vilma said. "We have to get ready, take them seriously because they're a good team and a good opponent.

"It's great for us and it's a good feeling right now especially being two games above .500. We're in the hunt for the playoffs. We have to go down to Miami and it's going to be another tough battle for us."

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1166510287315490.xml&coll=1

Rhodes thinking Pro Bowl

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD -- Safety Kerry Rhodes may finally get the bragging rights in his own family and overshadow his older cousin, NBA forward Theo Ratliff, with his first Pro Bowl selection today.

Wide receiver Laveranues Coles and kick returner Justin Miller are also expected to get strong consideration. Rookie C Nick Mangold is a dark horse.

Rhodes, a second-year pro and fifth-round pick out of Louisville, has four interceptions, four sacks, including three strip sacks, 13 passes defensed and 85 tackles. He has been the Jets' key defensive playmaker this season.

"It would be a big thing because it's coming from the coaches and the players and it shows that they respect you a lot," Rhodes said yesterday.

Ed Reed (Baltimore), Troy Polamalu (Pittsburgh), Donovan Darius (Jacksonville) and John Lynch (Denver) are expected to be Rhodes' chief competition.

Coles is second in the AFC in receptions (87), and sixth in receiving yardage (1,065) and has six TDs. Miller is tied with the Patriots' Laurence Maroney with a 28.7-yard kickoff return average.QB Chad Pennington, coming off his second consecutive rotator cuff surgery, is a strong candidate for the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year Award, which is given out a week after the season.First-year offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, whose unit put on a clinic against the Vikings (391 yards total offense -- fourth highest of the season), is one person coach Eric Mangini is glad to have on his side.

"The shifting, the motioning, the formationing, the multiple personnel groups, all those things I think have been very important for our success," said Mangini, a former defensive coordinator. "I know from experience it's difficult to defend."NT Dewayne Robertson, who had six tackles (tying his season best) and a pass defensed against the Vikings, was named defensive player of the game by Mangini.

"I thought he pressured the quarterback," Mangini said. "He made some outstanding plays at the point of attack. He made some chase plays down the line of scrimmage. As much as an interior lineman can be a sideline-to-sideline player, I thought Dewayne was that (vs. the Vikings).... Dewayne has been playing well for a while."Coles (back/ribs) and Mangold (left hip) are sore but are expected to play vs. the Dolphins.... LB Jonathan Vilma was credited with two more tackles, giving him five vs. the Vikings. Somehow, the tackles were credited to K Mike Nugent. ... Rookie free-agent WR Wallace Wright had three special teams tackles vs. the Vikings.Coles (offense), Rashad Washington (special) and Robertson (defense) were named the players of the game.... Mangini is 4-0 vs. first-year coaches.... Veteran Patrick Ramsey was the backup QB vs. the Vikings.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12192006/sports/jets/invisible_heroes_jets_mike_vaccaro.htm

INVISIBLE HEROES

By MIKE VACCARO

December 19, 2006 -- THE Jets don't gripe about touches and they don't snipe at their coaches and they don't generate hype by handing out contracts to sore-elbowed left-handed pitchers. They do not slip on banana peels or invite people to slap shiny red clown noses on their faces.

They play professionally, they act civilly, and they are very much in the hunt for a playoff berth, and they may well qualify as one of the most surprising teams we've had around here in a good long while.

Which can mean only one thing, of course.

They are doomed to be overlooked, and overshadowed, and underappreciated, and underplayed. They have been sentenced to a term of unjust irrelevance because all they do is perform up to or over their heads, and whenever they don't they refuse to make excuses for it. They are - shocking! - accountable for their shortcomings, and quick to share credit for their accomplishments.

That's why you sometimes have to use a pick-ax to burrow through the newspaper and find columns like this one, and stories by my man Cannizzaro explaining another splendidly satisfying performance, this time against Minnesota, in Minnesota, in a game both teams badly needed.

The Jets do not attract attention, due or undue. They do not major in nonsense. Which means they not only sneak under the radar, they're practically underground.

And like it that way.

"Our job is to win as many football games as we can, period," is the way Jonathan Vilma put it Sunday afternoon, after the Jets had schooled the Vikings 26-13 and clawed their way back into the thick of the AFC playoff race.

"It isn't to be flashy, or to get all the media attention, or to have anyone talk about you. All that matters is the people in this room, the way we talk about each other and feel about each other," Vilma said.

It's corny, of course, and smacks of old-school naiveté, and here's the thing about that: it's precisely the way the men who run the Jets want it, and have wanted it from the start. That was the philosophy Eric Mangini transferred in from New England, and he found a willing partner in Mike Tannenbaum waiting for him here.

True story: Sunday afternoon, while the Jets were running and hiding from the Vikings, the update from NFL.com revealed the Titans had just scored a second defensive touchdown, taken the lead over the Jaguars, a game of vital importance to the Jets. Tannenbaum was sitting behind me in the press box.

"The Titans just took a lead over the Jaguars," I told the Jets GM.

"Oh, you can see the scores on your computer?" he asked.

"You want any others?" I asked.

"Nope," Tannenbaum said, smiling. "The only score that matters is the game we're watching."

A few minutes later, the Titans scored another defensive TD. I turned around again. "For the record," I said, "Tennessee did it again. It's 24-10."

This time, Tannenbaum only gave a polite smile that said: The only score that matters is the game we're watching. I didn't bother to tell him a few minutes later when the Titans kept the Jaguars out of the end zone on fourth-and-one.

That is the kind of attitude that already has spread throughout the organization, taken root inside the Jets' locker room, and prospered there. It is the kind of outlook that has fostered legitimacy already, even if logic screams there can't be any real Super Bowl aspirations just yet. And it is the kind of approach that has the Jets quite suddenly sharing top billing with all three hockey clubs as the only teams currently in season that haven't been either embarrassing or disappointing.

Of course, nobody notices the hockey teams, either, because they also don't chirp like the blue canaries in the Giants' locker room, and they don't humiliate themselves with cheap shots and cheaper performances, as the Knicks do, and they don't play baseball, so it's almost as if they're invisible.

"I have to be honest," Shawn Ellis said Sunday. "I like it that way."

What's not to like?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12192006/sports/jets/green_christmas_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

GREEN CHRISTMAS

By MARK CANNIZZARO

December 19, 2006 -- Who possibly could have fathomed when looking at the schedule at the beginning of this season, that Monday - Christmas night in Miami - would have such colossal playoff implications for the Jets?

Stand up and raise your hand if you're the one, because you're probably alone. That, however, is what stands before the Jets after their eye-opening 26-13 victory Sunday in Minnesota.

They are 8-6, and with a win in Miami Monday night and a win in the Dec. 31 season finale at home over the 2-12 Raiders, the Jets are probably going to the playoffs.

Imagine that.

Few did.

And making this week's game particularly delicious is the fact it's the only football game scheduled for Monday night and it'll be nationally televised.

Monday Night Football always has held a special place in our sporting landscape, and for Eric Mangini it's no different.

"I remember when I was young and I had to go to bed before the games were over," the 35-year-old Jets coach recalled yesterday. "I'd try to sneak down and hear the game at the bottom of the stairs."

The players, even when there isn't a playoff berth hanging in the balance, always have relished playing on Monday nights because it's a chance to show off their respective wares to their peers.

"It's going to be hyped," Jets safety Kerry Rhodes said.

"Everybody wants to play in a prime-time game," Jets linebacker Victor Hobson said. "Going back to when you played football as a child, playing at night in the big game, that is what everybody wanted to play."

The danger that lurks, however, is that the 6-8 Dolphins, who were eliminated from playoff contention in Sunday's loss to the Bills, surely will not want to be shown up in their house.

Aside from that, the Dolphins have been a very good second-half-of-the-season team under Nick Saban, save for Sunday's slip-up in Buffalo.

Despite Mangini's one-moment-at-a-time mantra this season, his players know very well what time it is. They know that one loss probably eliminates them from the postseason race.

"It's well written about, well talked about," Mangini said. "I mean, they're exposed to it quite a bit. I think it's more important, though, to really center in on what we can control. If we can control the things that we have in front of us, the rest will take care of itself."

That's not necessarily true.

If the season ended today, the Jets would be on the outside looking in, behind the Broncos and Bengals. The first tiebreaker used when more than two teams are tied is the conference record.

The 8-6 Broncos are 7-4 in the AFC and the Bengals, who were beaten by the Colts last night, are 8-6 and 6-4 in the conference. The 8-6 Jaguars, like the Jets, are 5-5 in the AFC.

Here's one scenario that potentially aids the Jets: Cincinnati and Denver play each other Sunday, meaning one of those teams will have a seventh loss and likely will be eliminated. Also, if New England beats Jacksonville, the Jaguars also would have seven losses. That would leave the Jets in a position to control their destiny. By winning their two final games, they would be guaranteed a playoff berth.

"Guys enjoy playing the night games; they enjoy playing Monday Night Football," Mangini said. "It's just part of the experience, the NFL experience that we've all sort of shared. We all grew up with those games. We have a lot of great memories.

"When you get that opportunity to play Monday Night Football, it is special. To be playing such a meaningful game, that's special, too."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12192006/sports/jets/a_touch_of_class_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

A TOUCH OF CLASS

By MARK CANNIZZARO

December 19, 2006 -- QUARTERBACKS A

Chad Pennington (29-39, 339 yards, 1 TD, 1 INTs, 98.1 rating) orchestrated this victory. The ball was put in his hands against a Minnesota defense that is difficult to run on and he delivered.

RUNNING BACKS C Cedric Houston (21-53 yards, TD) didn't gain a lot of yards but gained key yards, something set up by the Jets' passing suc cess. Good contributions from FB B.J. Askew and newly signed Stacy Tutt.

RECEIVERS A Laveranues Coles (12-144, 1 TD) was fantastic, catching tough passes and mak ing big yards after the catch. Jerricho Cotchery (6-56) and Justin McCareins (2-70) were strong complements.

TIGHT ENDS B Chris Baker (4-33) was back in the pass ing game and did a good job blocking, along with Sean Ryan.

OFFENSIVE LINE B+ D'Brickashaw Ferguson rebounded well from his tough week against Buffalo. Terrific hard blocking from LG Pete Kendall, C Nick Mangold, RG Brandon Moore and RT Anthony Clement on Houston's TD run.

DEFENSIVE LINE B C.J. Mosley had a sack against his for mer mates. Dewayne Robertson (6 tack les) had an active day in the run defense.

LINEBACKERS B Victor Hobson led the team with 12 tack les and had a sack. Eric Barton had a sack and four tackles. Jonathan Vilma had three tackles and a QB hurry.

SECONDARY B Terrific game by CB Hank Poteat (6 tackles). CB David Barrett had an INT. CB Andre Dyson gave up a TD pass, the only real blemish on the day.

SPECIAL TEAMS A WR Wallace Wright had three tackles in kick coverage. Rashad Washington had two and Cody Spencer had two assists. Coverage teams held the Vikings to a 19.2-yard average on KOs. Justin Miller averaged 22.5-yards on two KO returns and Leon Washington aver aged 16.7 yards on three punt returns.

KICKING GAME A- Mike Nugent booted four FGs - from 25, 52, 45 and 20 yards. P Ben Graham aver aged 45.3 yards gross and 45 yards net, but he botched a hold on a Nugent FG.

COACHING A Eric Mangini was prophetic in his pre- game message about adversity and rising from an early fall, which the players did. Great plan by offensive coordinator Brian Schot tenheimer.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjnotes195021745dec19,0,4795732.story?coll=ny-jets-print

JETS NOTEBOOK

Ex-champ Pryor gets spirits up

BY TOM ROCK

Newsday Staff Writer

December 19, 2006

The Jets handed out a few extra game balls after Sunday's win at Minnesota.

Aaron "The Hawk" Pryor, a former world champion junior welterweight boxer, delivered a message to the Jets via video before the game. Pryor, a member of the International Boxing Hall of Fame, was known for his calls of "What time is it? It's Hawk time!" during his bouts. For his new favorite football team, he pronounced it "Jets time!"

"He was an impressive fighter," coach Eric Mangini said. "He was relentless, tireless." Mangini said Pryor would get up from a knockdown smiling, turning the momentum of a fight.

Frankie Pryor, the boxer's wife, found out Mangini had shown one of his fights prior to an earlier game and contacted the Jets, facilitating the taped message. It followed tape of his 1980 title defense against Gaetan Hart.

Asked whether Pryor, who is from Ohio, is a Jets fan, Mangini said he never thought to check.

"We didn't discuss his allegiance," he said. "I'm sure somewhere deep in his heart he is. Isn't everybody?"

To serve and protect

The Jets' passing game would not have been as successful against the Vikings had it not been for the pass protection, which was adjusted after the poor start.

"We had the hiccup there at the beginning," Mangini said. "I think they gave Chad some excellent time to throw. When you drop back to pass quite a few times, there's a lot of opportunities for breakdowns. I thought overall, they did well."

Jet streams

Mangini said he wasn't sure if WR Laveranues Coles had injured his back or his ribs when he was sandwiched between two Vikings linebackers blocking on a fourth-quarter interception. "Laveranues, he's so tough, it doesn't matter what gets hit," Mangini said. "He pops up, moves on." Mangini said he anticipates Coles playing Monday against the Dolphins ... Mangini said it was C Nick Mangold's hip that was injured on the second play, even though the rookie didn't miss any snaps. "He's a Laveranues in training," Mangini said.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets195021746dec19,0,2476721.story?coll=ny-jets-print

Possibilities

If Jets go 10-6, a loss by Jaguars would send Gang Green to playoffs

BY TOM ROCK

Newsday Staff Writer

December 19, 2006

It's now a race for 10 wins, and even if the Jets get to the double-digit finish line, there's no guarantee of a happy outcome.

With four teams jostling for two AFC wild cards and a pack behind them hoping to slide into any gaps, the Jets can win out and still be left at home on the first weekend of January, channel-surfing their way through the playoffs instead of riding the waves themselves.

The Jets, Denver, Jacksonville and Cincinnati (all 8-6) all have a chance to reach 10 wins, which seems to be the magic number - in the AFC, at least. But the Jets don't hold a tiebreaker over any of those three teams, either via conference record or head-to-head in the case of the Jaguars, so they need help.

If the Jets were to beat the Dolphins and Raiders, all they would need is to have Jacksonville lose one of its final two games.

Cincinnati is at Denver this weekend, so the Jets are guaranteed to get some help there, even if it's a tie. Jacksonville has the toughest stretch, hosting the Patriots, then playing at Kansas City. By the time the Jets play the Dolphins on Monday night, they could be back in control of their own playoff hopes, facing a "two wins and they're in" situation.

It's not just the wild card at stake for the Jets. If the Patriots lose twice and the Jets win out, the Jets will win the AFC East based on conference records.

On the flip side, they also could be playing for the season's survival. There are a few situations that could eliminate the Jets from contention with a loss at Miami. The Colts' win last night over the Bengals decreased the number of such doomsday developments but did not exterminate them.

"We're going to take a BCS approach to it," safety Kerry Rhodes said after Sunday's win in Minnesota, implying that the Jets need to keep winning and hope the system works for them. "We're trying to make every game that we play meaningful."

Even coach Eric Mangini, who has done his best to dodge questions about the significance of recent big games and playoff aspirations, admitted to an awareness of the twists that can occur in the next two weeks.

"We're all excited about it," he said. "This is a great opportunity. The hard work that we've put in throughout the season, the progress that we've made throughout the season, this is what you want: to be playing meaningful games late in the season."

The embargo on the P-word may still exist, even as a guideline more than a rule, but Mangini conceded he is powerless to stop playoff thoughts from creeping into players' heads.

"I think it's well written about, well talked about," he said, adding that he would not use the ramifications of any game as a rallying cry. "They're exposed to it quite a bit. I think it's more important, though, to really center in on what we can control."

It just so happens that the Jets' stretch run begins in front of a national audience. Mangini said he remembers sneaking out of bed to the bottom of the stairs to listen to the Monday Night Football games as a youngster, rooting for his favorite team growing up, the Cowboys.

"We all grew up watching those games," he said. "I think it's just part of the NFL experience that we've all shared."

Are the Jets Ready for Prime Time Players?

"Everybody wants to play in a prime-time game," linebacker Victor Hobson said. "Going back to when you played football as a child, playing at night was the big game. That is what everybody wanted to do. It is a big opportunity for us to display what we are capable of doing on national television."

With a win and some luck, the Jets could be playing in front of a similar national audience two weeks later.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/481367p-405113c.html

Jets seek presents

Need more than 'W' on Christmas

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

A year ago, the Jets wanted to run away from the Monday night TV cameras.

'Twas the night after Christmas, and they were a hopeless 3-11. The only mini-drama was whether Vinny Testaverde, presumed to be retiring, would get one last curtain call. He did, but the Jets fell meekly to the Patriots before a national audience.

Since then, a lot has happened. Testaverde is carrying the clipboard for the Patriots and former Patriots assistant Eric Mangini is leading the revived Jets into a Monday night game against the Dolphins that means ... well, just about everything.

This time, the Jets - in their lone prime-time appearance of the season - relish the opportunity to perform on the big stage.

"It's a national spotlight and it'll be good to show the world what we've been doing here and letting them know what we're about," safety Kerry Rhodes said yesterday.

At 8-6, the Jets are the surprise team among the top contenders in the AFC. They will head to Miami, the scene of so many big games in Jets history, knowing the outcome could decide their fate.

If the Jets win, they keep hope alive into the final week, when they face the dreadful Raiders (2-12) at home.

If the Jets lose in Miami, they could be eliminated (depending on what had happened in the previous day's games) or reduced to miracle-wishing.

Naturally, Mangini wasn't about to fuel the playoff talk, but he was unusually effusive when asked about the mood around Weeb Ewbank Hall.

"We're all excited about playing in these games," said Mangini, coming off a 26-13 victory in Minnesota. "This is a great opportunity. The hard work we've put in throughout the season, the progress that we've made, this is what you want, to be playing meaningful games late in the season. This is that opportunity."

The Jets still have an outside chance of overtaking the Patriots (10-4) for the AFC East crown, but the more realistic goal is the wild card. They're among four teams with at least eight wins that are battling for two wild-card berths, and there are three seven-win teams lurking on the periphery.

As Bill Parcells used to say, they're stacked up like club sandwiches.

Although the Jets don't control their own destiny, they can claim a wild card if they win their remaining games and two of the following occur: A Jaguars loss, a Broncos loss and two Bengals losses. (The Bengals faced the Colts last night.)

There's a huge factor in the Jets' favor: Neither of their opponents will have anything on the line, as both the Dolphins and Raiders have been eliminated. The other wild-card contenders face teams that need to win.

It's fair to wonder if the Dolphins, coming off a demoralizing 21-0 loss to the Bills, will simply mail it in against the Jets. The Jets don't think the Dolphins are ready to do them any favors.

"They're going to play the role of spoilers, and they're going to be up for the game," Rhodes said.

Said defensive end Shaun Ellis: "You know how Jets-Dolphins games are. It's a rivalry. We're going to get their best effort."

Until the Buffalo debacle, the Dolphins (6-8) had won five of six games, including a 21-0 rout of the Patriots. But they imploded against the Bills, as Joey Harrington recorded an embarrassing 0.0 passer rating. The defeat gives them something in common with the Jets, who suffered an 18-point loss to Buffalo the previous week.

The Jets beat the Dolphins in the first meeting, 20-17, nearly blowing a 20-3 lead in the fourth quarter. Since then, Miami has improved, last week notwithstanding. So have the Jets. It comes down to this: Christmas night. Under the lights.

"It's special," Mangini said of the Monday night experience. "To be playing such a meaningful game, that's special, too."

Sure beats 3-11.

Originally published on December 19, 2006

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/481366p-405100c.html

Mangold & Coles battle on

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

From all indications, WR Laveranues Coles (back) and C Nick Mangold (hip) should be available for the Jets' pivotal game Monday night in Miami.

Eric Mangini wouldn't divulge any specifics about the injuries - he actually claimed he didn't know if it was Coles' back or ribs - but he didn't say anything that would raise any red flags.

Asked if he expects Coles to play, Mangini praised his toughness, adding, "Yeah, I think he's just a little banged up. We'll monitor it. He's Laveranues. I feel pretty comfortable with him."

Coles took a vicious shot to the ribs from Vikings LB Ben Leber late in Sunday's 26-13 win in Minnesota. Coles appeared to be in pain as he spoke after the game.

Mangold was hurt on the second play of the game, although it wasn't his left knee as initially suspected. Mangini confirmed it was a hip injury. Mangold returned and didn't miss a play.

"I think he's a little sore," Mangini said. "He's like Laveranues. He's a pretty tough guy. ... He's a Laveranues in training."

notebook.gif

DEWAYNE DAY: NT Dewayne Robertson (six tackles) drew effusive praise from Mangini.

"He pressured the quarterback, he made some outstanding plays at the point of attack and he made some really good chase plays down the line of scrimmage," Mangini said. Robertson won the defensive game ball. Coles (offense) and Rashad Washington (special teams) won the other game balls.

FIGHING SPIRIT: On the eve of the game, the Jets watched a videotaped recording from former light welterweight champion Aaron Pryor. The ex-fighter, who taped the segment from his home in Cincinnati, wears a Jets shirt and hat and delivers a pep talk.

"It's Jets time!" he implores them.

When Pryor heard that Mangini showed one of his fights in his weekly "Saturday Night at the Fights," his wife, Frankie, reached out to the Jets. They arranged for the taping.

Asked if Pryor is a Jets fan, Mangini said, "Isn't everybody?"

Originally published on December 19, 2006

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwNDA2NDMmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Chad has Jets healthy

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Ever since he tweaked his left calf against New England on Sept. 17, Chad Pennington has been listed on the Jets' weekly injury report.

Never mind that he's missed only one meaningful snap since then, and that was because he had the wind knocked out of him when Houston's Mario Williams landed on him last month.

So it was with tongue planted firmly in cheek that a reporter brought up the calf after Pennington's skillful performance in a 26-13 victory at Minnesota on Sunday, and questioned him about his health.

"I'm feeling good," Pennington said with a smile. More than anything else, that sums up the 2006 season so far for Pennington, who already has started the most regular-season games in a single season in his NFL career. And because he has remained upright and healthy, so have the Jets' playoff chances.

Pennington and the Jets (8-6) face another must-win situation when they visit Miami on Christmas night.

The Jets need to win their two remaining games -- they host Oakland on Dec. 31 and hope for a little bit of help from outside sources.

The fate of a quarterback and his team usually are closely intertwined, and it's especially true in Pennington's case, particularly with the Jets' revolving door at running back. He and his teammates displayed their trademark resiliency at Minnesota after a clunker against Buffalo that damaged their playoff hopes, and after an early fumble by Pennington helped put the Jets in a quick 7-0 hole in the Metrodome.

"His work ethic is extremely consistent," coach Eric Mangini said of Pennington on Monday. "It's at a very high level. He's always trying to get the answers. He's always trying to stay a step ahead."

Mangini was especially impressed with the way Pennington drove the Jets 34 yards in six plays in the final 46 seconds of the first half, to a 45-yard Mike Nugent field goal as time expired, giving the Jets a 23-7 lead.

Mangini extolled Pennington's "clock management throughout that drive, understanding what he could hit, what he needed to get, the presence to get up there [and spike the ball] so we could save our timeout. All that stuff was just a good example of what he does throughout the game."

And for the first time this season, the whole country will have a chance to see Pennington at work. This will be the Jets' first and only appearance on national TV, although a win could help them toward another one, in the playoffs.

"I don't think we have even thought about it," Pennington said of the increased exposure. "I think with all the media outlets and all the TV coverage that the NFL receives, I feel like every game is seen by the public and every game is on television, so it isn't that big of a deal to us."

A couple of his teammates on defense feel differently.

"Everybody wants to play in a prime-time game," linebacker Victor Hobson said. "Going back to when you played football as a child, playing at night was the big game. That's what everybody wanted to do. It's a big opportunity for us to display what we're capable of doing on national television."

"Each game is getting bigger," safety Kerry Rhodes said. "It's in a national spotlight and it will be good to show the world what we have been doing here and letting [the world] know what we are about."

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061219/SPORTS01/612190369/1108

Pro Bowl might call on a few good Jets

By Andrew Gross

The Journal News

(Original Publication: December 19, 2006)

HEMPSTEAD - Today could bring Pro Bowl recognition to safety Kerry Rhodes, kick returner Justin Miller and wide receiver Laveranues Coles.

The AFC and NFC squads will be announced in the afternoon, and those three figure to be the Jets with the best shots at being picked. The NFL Network will air the hour-long selection show at 4 p.m.

"If I was selected, it would be a big thing because it is coming from the coaches and the players, and it shows that they respect you a lot,'' Rhodes said.

The second-year pro is tied for the team lead with four interceptions and is third with both 91 tackles and four sacks, including three strip sacks.

Coles had a season-high 12 catches for 144 yards and one touchdown in Sunday's 26-13 win at Minnesota and is second in the league with 87 receptions. His 1,065 receiving yards and six touchdowns are team bests.

It's his first 1,000-yard season since he was with the Redskins in 2003, his only Pro Bowl selection.

Miller, also in his second season, is tied with Patriots rookie Laurence Maroney for the league lead with a 28.7-yard average on kickoff returns. Miller has returned 43 kickoffs for 1,233 yards and two touchdowns, including a team-record 103-yard return in a 31-28 loss to the Colts in Week 4.

Miller is the AFC's leading vote getter among kick returners, garnering 146,132 votes out of the 69.8 million fan ballots cast.

"It would be a great honor,'' Miller said. "I would love to be selected and recognized as one of the elite returners in the NFL.''

Injury update: Coach Eric Mangini confirmed that center Nick Mangold hurt his hip on the second play against the Vikings Sunday, but would not specify whether Coles had injured his back or his rib cage.

"You know, he's been stiff at a lot of different points throughout the season,'' Mangini said, adding that he anticipated Coles being able to play Christmas night against the Dolphins. "Then as soon as he lines up against a defensive back, it's on.''

Mangini also praised Mangold's toughness, saying he was a "Laveranues in training.''

Personal message: Retired junior welterweight Aaron Pryor recorded a personal motivational message for the Jets, which they saw prior to the Vikings game. Mangini showed Pryor's six-round knockout over Gaetan Hart in a 1980 title defense, and Pryor, in a Jets ski cap and sweat shirt, told the Jets, "Take it to the Vikings like I took it to Gaetan Hart.''

Players of the week: Coles was named the Jets' offensive player of the week, nose tackle Dewayne Robertson (six tackles) earned defensive honors, and Rashad Washington was the special-teams player of the week after making two tackles in coverage. Veteran running back Derrick Blaylock, inactive for an eighth straight game, was the practice player of the week.

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061219/SPORTS01/612190367/1108

Jets' defense helps fuel run for playoffs

By Andrew Gross

The Journal News

(Original Publication: December 19, 2006)

HEMPSTEAD - The see-saw nature of the Jets' season has risen again to support some playoff buzz.

Which way it teeters next will be determined with a Christmas night game at Miami, the first prime-time appearance of the season for the Jets (8-6).

"It is big for us to have something to play for,'' safety Kerry Rhodes said yesterday. "Each game is getting bigger and bigger each week. It is on a national spotlight, and it will be good to show the world what we have been doing here and letting them know what we are about.''

Rhodes was talking about the team as a whole. But he might as well have been talking about the Jets' often-maligned defense.

In Sunday's 26-13 win at Minnesota, the Jets held the Vikings to 62 rushing yards and Brad Johnson to 96 passing yards in three quarters before rookie Tarvaris Jackson threw for 177 yards against soft coverage.

The Jets have allowed 14 or fewer points in five of their last six games, but were coming off a 31-13 loss to the Bills in which Willis McGahee, despite being ill, rushed for 125 yards.

"We needed it badly,'' Jets linebacker Jonathan Vilma said. "Right now, we are in the hunt for the playoffs.''

Granted, Vikings running back Chester Taylor came into the game with a sore ankle and hurt his wrist during the game. Plus, the Jets controlled the ball for 36:26.

But it was the Vikings' top-rated rush defense, which is still allowing just 55.1 yards per game, that drew the pregame attention.

And the Jets' defense was better.

For instance, the Vikings are fourth in the league in third-down efficiency, but they converted just 2 of 13 attempts against the Jets.

"That first half up front, they just whipped us a little bit,'' Vikings center Matt Birk said.

Much of the havoc was wrought by Dewayne Robertson, who declined an interview request after the game and has not been happy with the media coverage of his switch to nose tackle in coach Eric Mangini's 3-4 system.

There was nothing wrong with Robertson's play Sunday, as he recorded six tackles and penetrated to put pressure on the Vikings' quarterbacks.

"He made some outstanding plays at the point of attack,'' Mangini said. "He made some good chase plays down the line of scrimmage. He was a factor across the board. As much as an interior lineman can be a sideline-to-sideline player, I thought Dewayne was that yesterday.''

The 6-foot-1, 317-pound Robertson - smaller than the average NFL nose tackle - has 56 tackles and an outside chance of reaching his career best of 69, set in 2003 after the Jets traded up for the fourth overall pick and selected him out of Kentucky. Nose tackles are supposed to draw double teams to free up the ends, and Robertson has definitely been seeing more and more of that.

Robertson is also one sack shy of tying his career best of 3 1/2 , set last season in the 4-3 when he used his speed to attack offensive linemen on an angle instead of straight on.

"I think Dewayne has been playing well for a while,'' Mangini said.

And if Robertson and the Jets can sustain that kind of defensive effort against the Dolphins, who were beaten by Buffalo 21-0 Sunday, then the Jets might go into the regular-season finale against the Raiders playing for a playoff spot.

"Our goal is to make the quarterback feel as uncomfortable as possible,'' said linebacker Victor Hobson, who led the Jets with eight tackles and a sack against the Vikings. "We have been doing a good job with that lately.''

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwNDA2NjAmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Jets notebook

Hollow honor?

Jets coach Eric Mangini says the most important of the team's weekly in-house awards is the "practice player of the week," the one who does the best job on the scout team impersonating that week's opponent.

For the Minnesota game, that honor went to running back Derrick Blaylock. Yes, the same Derrick Blaylock who has hasn't had a touch in a game since Sept. 17.

"Derrick is doing a great job for us," Mangini said. "He always gives us a really good look at the opponent's running back."

But he can't seem to get a look on game day.

In this corner

Mangini's choice for a motivational fight before the Minnesota game was light welterweight Aaron "The Hawk" Pryor's defense of his WBA title with a sixth-round knockout of Gaetan Hart in November 1980. The Jets reached out to Pryor's wife, Frankie, and got Pryor to film a taped message to the team that was tacked onto the fight tape.

"His catch phrase," Mangini said, "is 'What time is it? It's Hawk time.' "

In the message, the Cincinnati native said, "What time is it? It's Jets' time."

Briefs

Mangini didn't confirm whether wide receiver Laveranues Coles suffered a back injury against Minnesota, but did admit center Nick Mangold had a hip injury. Mangini extolled how "tough" both players are, indicating he expects them to play against Miami. ... The Pro Bowl teams will be announced at 4 o'clock today on the NFL Network. ... Safety Kerry Rhodes and wide receiver Laveranues Coles each have a chance, as does kickoff returner Justin Miller.

-- J.P. Pelzman

http://www.jetnation.com/?p=781

Dreaming of a Green Christmas

By Tyson Rauch

Looking back over the years, the New York Jets have many ghosts of Christmas’ past in their closet. There is the ugly, dark, embarrassing ghost of 1995 that was made up of a terrible season and a disgraceful 12-0 Christmas Eve loss to the New Orleans Saints (in front of about 15,000 diehard fans). Then there was the heartbreaking and gut wrenching ghost of 2000 that consisted of a season of hope and ended up in a 34-20 loss to the Baltimore Ravens on Christmas Eve. So what will Christmas Day 2006 have in store for the New York Jets? Will coach Mangini and his team of believers provide us the joy for the holidays or will Jason Taylor and his angry mates play the perfect role of scrooge?

As long time bitter rivals this game will be a slugfest with both teams leaving it all on the field, but in the end my prediction is the Jets will have more heart and determination and will come out the victors. This team has come too far and worked too hard to have a let down now and come up short. If Jets fans have learned one thing this year, it is that this team is well coached, focused and determined and these traits will send them to victory on Monday night.

Wouldn’t a picture of Mangini, Pennington and Vilma victoriously running off of the field in Miami on Sunday be a perfect Christmas card?

Quick Hits

1. Hats off to both Dewayne Robertson and Mike Nugent. I have ripped both of these players in the past but throughout this season both have improved and are making a difference on the team.

2. Hawaii Bound?? Is it me or is Laverneous Coles more than deserving for a trip to Honolulu? He may not have the brand name, the big mouth or the gaudy numbers but there is no tougher receiver in the AFC than Mr. Coles.

3. So how many season ticket holders have already given away their tickets to the New Years Eve game against the Raiders? Let me guess you are waiting to see what happens Monday night first right?

Here is wishing all of you and your families a happy and healthy holiday season. There are times when we all get fired up over this team and the NFL but in the end it is just a game. Let’s not lose focus of that and try to value and appreciate our friends and families. Also please do not forget our troops and their families during this holiday season.

Lets Go Jets!!!!

Archived