Today's Jets News

Maxman

Bill Gallo - Daily News

Belichick deserves yellow flag

Before I get into the latest report on the "Geezers," attention must be paid to an incident every Jets fan saw last Sunday on their TV.

The Patriots had just beaten the Jets, 37-16, and as usual, the TV cameras focused on the two coaches. In this case, it was going to be interesting because the fans were wondering what would happen between the two men.

Was Bill Belichick going to finally "make nice" with Eric Mangini? Would he be giving Mangini a cold fish handshake again as he did in their previous game-ending encounters?

Well here comes Belichick, hell-bent with those angry, heavy wrinkles in his brow, his body language saying, "Get the hell out of my way. Don't you see it's me?"

The guy is so mad that he pushes a camera into a photographer's face. Did Belichick know that one of those knobs on the camera could've taken the poor man's eye out?

Now Belichick's arms are stretched like he's saying, "Come to Papa, kid." So he wraps his arms around Mangini as if he's saying to the press: "There, I hugged him. Are you guys satisfied? Now leave me alone."

At least that's the way it appeared to many watching this little demonstration by "Ol' Iron Puss."

The next day I did a cartoon of this moment, and you might say I showed Belichick no kindness. It was my pen throwing its best left hook.

The day after the 'toon ran, I received a phone call from Neil Leifer, arguably the best sports photographer Sports Illustrated ever had.

"Bravo on that cartoon," said Leifer. "Why were you the only one to knock the guy for doing this? It was such a blatant act, and watching it infuriated me."

Leifer was now speaking for all photogs covering sports. "There is a man (a Boston Globe photog), in the right place, doing his job in an honest way, and he has to deal with something like this?"

Leifer is to the point: "Damn it, the man belongs there as much as the coach. This photographer, like all the others covering the game, should not to be treated like the paparazzi who hound celebrities. He's a husband, father and hard-working journalist."

A few days ago, Belichick apologized to the Boston photographer, as he should have.

"I feel bad about that," Belichick said. "I didn't mean to do that....it certainly wasn't called for and I wish it hadn't happened."

Give "The Angry Winner" credit for apologizing, but he still gets a yellow flag for committing a personal foul.

Now, let's get to the "Geezers Club": As you can see, the buttons are here!

Here's what to do to get one:

(1)Send a letter to: Bill Gallo, 450 W. 33rd St., New York, NY 10001. The note must tell me your age and include a brief (very brief) paragraph saying what you're doing extra for family, community and country. And if you're 65 and still working, fine.

(2) Accompanying your letter should be a self-addressed, stamped No. 10 envelope.

You follow these simple rules and your button will be in the mail in a matter of days. Wear it with pride.

Here are examples of what some new "Geezers" wrote:

"I would like to become a member of "The Ol' Geezers Club.

"I'm 72 and an avid sports fan. My wife is an amputee and I'm the caregiver and will give anyone advice for the asking." Martin Karp, Bronx, N.Y.

"I'm 76 and in 1996 I retired as general agent to the New Jersey Meadowland Agency for John Han**** after 34 years. I'm still active and very successful professionally, but I take prime time to spend with my wife, my children and nine grandchildren, traveling all over the U.S. and Europe.

"Not bad for an ol' geezer! I want in." Charles B. Ferrera, Rochelle Park, N.J.

"I'm applying to your special Geezer group. Born in Manhattan, played stick ball, went to Stuyvesant H.S., then came WWII and joined the U.S. Navy "After the war, under the GI Bill I became an airplane maintenance mechanic, at which I worked 50 years and retired. Today, I'm a volunteer fixing old planes at Mitchell Field. I'm only 84 now and still pick up The Daily News, my favorite paper all my life." John F. Risickella, East Meadow, NY. Send in for your button now. And take care all of you wonderful Ol' Geezers.

Originally published on January 14, 2007

<H1 class=red>Jets: Schottenheimer a Dolphins finalist

</H1>

Sunday, January 14, 2007 BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who instituted an innovative offense, is among the finalists for the Dolphins head-coaching job. He will fly to Miami for a second interview on Tuesday, a league official told The Star-Ledger yesterday.

The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the interview process.

Schottenheimer, who interviewed with Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga, chief executive officer Joe Bailey and president Bryan Wiedmeier last Wednesday aboard Huizenga's private jet, will fly to Miami this time.

Dolphins general manager Randy Mueller is expected to lead the interview. Wednesday's first interview was mostly a get-to-know-you session. On Tuesday, they'll talk football and philosophy.

Schottenheimer, 33, was an offensive coordinator for the first time in his career this season and was impressive, quickly becoming a hot head-coaching candidate during a time when it's in vogue to hire a young head coach.

Minnesota defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin, 34, is also said to have had a strong first interview and may be invited back. Former Rams coach Mike Martz also interviewed for the post.

Overall, the Dolphins interviewed 12 candidates, including former Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis and USC head coach Pete Carroll, who has said he'll stay in Southern California. This weekend, the Dolphins are expected to trim the list to five and begin a second round of interviews next week. Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum said the club already has a short list of possible replacements for Schottenheimer should he leave. If the Jets stay in-house, running backs coach Jimmy Raye -- who has worked as an offensive coordinator during his 29 seasons in the league -- could be a candidate.

If the Jets go outside, look for them to consider someone off the staff of the Chiefs, Chargers or Rams, who run offenses similar to the Jets. Rams quarterback coach Doug Nussmeier, 36, has extensive experience in the offense and could be a leading candidate.

Note: Jets DB coach Corwin Brown is expected to be named the new defensive coordinator at Notre Dame. He coached with Irish coach Charlie Weis in New England.

Dave Hutchinson may be reached at dhutchinson@starledger.com

yea I perused the stories Max and decided it was a little thin in anything newsworthy to bother-besides my check hasn't arrived from my December work in doing the articles so my people decided I should stage a job action in protest...hey-don't blame me talk to my union rep his name is Rocco and he wears black shirts, white ties, and pinstriped Italian suits

yea I perused the stories Max and decided it was a little thin in anything newsworthy to bother-besides my check hasn't arrived from my December work in doing the articles so my people decided I should stage a job action in protest...hey-don't blame me talk to my union rep his name is Rocco and he wears black shirts, white ties, and pinstriped Italian suits

Yeah that's all I could find. Just wanted to do it anyhow -- out of respect for Corwin Brown. We wish him luck. Hate that he is going. Just wanted to make sure everyone saw this.

Archived