BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, June 2nd 2007, 4:00 AM

* Print

* Email

* Suggest a Story

Martin

Curtis Martin

Curtis Martin's damaged knee might be telling him to retire, but his heart has yet to give the final okay.

While many believe he's prolonging the inevitable, the Jets' future Hall of Fame running back still is clinging to the faint hope that he can resume his career, multiple sources told the Daily News yesterday.

"He's talking about trying to come back," one source said.

It's a longshot, and Martin knows that, but he's such a fierce competitor that he apparently doesn't want to surrender until the last possible moment. He may take several more weeks, perhaps until the start of training camp in late July, before making a decision.

A month ago, Martin, 34, said he was working out twice a week at the Jets' facility, "keeping my options open and trying to make sure I stay in shape."

The organization went into the offseason thinking Martin, who hasn't played since 2005, would make an announcement by June1. From all indications, they're giving him plenty of space, allowing him to set his own timetable. Things could get sticky if it drags to training camp; the Jets appear set at running back, especially with the addition of Thomas Jones.

Martin's recent lawsuit against Lloyd's of London could be impacting his timetable. Claiming he was "permanently disabled" by a knee injury in 2005, he's suing the insurer for refusing to pay him the $5 million in coverage he purchased - roughly the amount of his lost wages in 2006.

FUTURE ON THE LINE: The Pete Kendall staredown could get interesting in two weeks. The disgruntled guard, not participating in the current voluntary workouts because he feels he's underpaid at $1.7 million for 2007, is planning to attend the mandatory minicamp, his agent, Neil Schwartz, said yesterday.

That would be awkward, to say the least. Eric Mangini is said to be angry that Kendall, an offensive co-captain, is skipping the offseason program. If the coach already has decided he no longer wants Kendall on the team, it could force the team's hand.

One possible replacement, free agent Joe Andruzzi, the former Brown and Patriot, was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma, his agent announced Thursday. Don't be surprised if the Jets turn to free agent Geno James, who played for line coach Tony Wise in Miami.

JUST INCREDIBLE: Mangini isn't one to gush about players in offseason camps, but he raved about WR Justin McCareins. He showed the team some McCareins highlights from Thursday's practice - "three plays that jumped off the screen," the coach said.

Was Mangini talking up McCareins to raise his trade value? The Jets tried to deal him before the draft, but found no takers. He may be asked to restructure his contract, which pays him $2.9 million this season.

STILL HOFSTRA: The Jets will hold their 2008 training camp at Hofstra. Their new facility in Florham Park, N.J., may not be ready until 2009.

WADSWORTH GIVES JETS SOME VALUE

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Eric Mangini

Eric Mangini

PrintEmailDigg ItStory Bottom

June 2, 2007 -- There were different interpretations of the conversation, but the result produced what has potential to be one of the feel-good stories of the year in the NFL.

There was Andre Wadsworth sitting with Eric Mangini and Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum talking about coming back to play pro football after a six-year layoff.

For Wadsworth, the No. 3 overall pick in the 1998 NFL Draft, his injury statistics are much more significant and telling than those he produced on the field. He played 36 games for the Arizona Cardinals and produced eight sacks and one interception on the field. Off it, Wadsworth has endured 15 surgeries, 13 on his knees and two for ruptured Achilles tendons.

So, as Mangini and Tannenbaum spoke with the former defensive end about attempting a comeback as a linebacker, the two needed to know how badly he wanted it.

"It was almost a case of trying to talk him out of coming back," Mangini said yesterday before the team's organized team activity (OTA) practice. "The guy has a very successful business (he owns six auto dealerships in Florida). He's done very well in terms of setting up the next phase of his life. This is something that he was determined to try.

"In interviewing him and getting to know him, he was so impressive that as much as we tried to scare him off and get him to reconsider, he was too determined. That was attractive to Mike and I, that level of determination."

Told of Mangini's account of the conversation after practice, Wadsworth said, "I didn't know that he was trying to talk me out of it, but now as I review the conversation, I can see it. I viewed it as I thought he was checking me to see if I really wanted to play."

Now 32, Wadsworth, who last played in 2000, must not only overcome the rust and the 15 surgeries but a different posi- tion. Those issues surely raise the question, "Why?"

"Why? I love football," Wadsworth said. "In life, you can be a businessman, you can do whatever you want to do after football until you die. Football you can't do until you die. Even though I officially retired and [various doctors] said I couldn't play again because of my injuries, I never put [returning] out of my mind.

"You've just got to believe in miracles," he went on. "In life, you can't take no for an answer. Call me stubborn, but that's the way I live my life. The best analogy is this: When people ask me, 'When did you get the itch to come back?' I said, 'It never left.' I had an itch with a cast on. I just couldn't itch it. It never left me."

Mangini offered high praise for WR Justin McCareins, who's been the subject of trade rumors because of his $2.9 million 2007 salary. McCareins has excelled this offseason, so much so Mangini showed some film clips of his play in Thursday's practice to the team.

"He had three plays that jumped off of the screen," Mangini said. "Just good, smart and solid football."

McCareins said, "Physically, I feel as good as I've felt in my career."

Mangini spent Thursday night attending his mother Nancy's college graduation from Tunxis Community College in Farmington, Conn. "It was pretty inspiring to see her walk across the stage . . . seeing her mixed in with those 22- and 23-year-olds was great for me personally," he said. "I can't be happier for her." Today at his former high school, Bulkeley in Hartford, Conn., Mangini is conducting his annual youth football camp. . . . A source confirmed rookie WR Chansi Stuckey was fined by the team for being out late with CB Justin Miller when Miller was arrested May 21 in Manhattan.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Jets' Barnes plans to be fully functional fullback

Saturday, June 02, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Suddenly, the fullback position is no longer a footnote in the NFL, a fly in the ointment of a high-powered offense. Believe it or not, teams are actually looking for effective ways to utilize the position rather than rid themselves of it.

For the past several seasons, the Jets have been trying to find a niche in their offense for the fullback and think they may have their guy in former Dolphin Darian Barnes, a Toms River native who'll get the first crack at replacing B.J. Askew, who signed with Tampa Bay this off-season.

Barnes, entering his sixth season with his fourth team, has only five career carries for 10 yards and 14 receptions for 87 yards and a touchdown in 60 games, including 22 starts. But Jets coach Eric Mangini insists the club didn't sign Barnes to simply be a battering ram for running back Thomas Jones, with whom Barnes played with for one season in Tampa Bay (2003).

"When I talked to Darian what I told him is your role will be defined by what you make your role out to be," Mangini said yesterday at the conclusion of the first week of organized team activities at Hofstra. "So, if he shows he's a very good receiver out of the backfield, that would be something that expands.

"Carrying the football, that's something that's definitely a possibility. We have different plays in for the fullback. There are a lot of different options within the offense, and part of the process, especially with the new players, is finding out where they fit in best."

Hearing those words from Mangini convinced Barnes that a homecoming was in order. His parents still live in New Jersey and his wife, Rebecca, was raised in Rahway. The ticket requests are already pouring in.

"I'm really happy to be home. It's a wonderful thing," said Barnes, who spent the past two seasons with the Dolphins and impressed the Jets when the teams played. "My father has been real giddy about it. He wants to come see the practices and the whole nine (yards)."

Barnes, 6-2, 240 pounds, signed with the Giants as an undrafted rookie in 2002 but was cut in training camp. He was claimed off waivers by Tampa Bay and spent two seasons there, winning a Super Bowl as a rookie ("It's something I can carry with me until the day I die," he said).

Barnes played one season in Dallas in 2004 and then signed with the Dolphins. He says the Jets are the first team that hasn't simply told him his job is to block, period.

"I haven't had an opportunity to be a part of the entire offense and I think this will be a great opportunity," said Barnes, who signed a one-year, $595,000 deal with the Jets. "Obviously, I have to show the coaches I can do it.

"I don't think (being strictly a blocker) has eaten at me. This is my sixth year in the NFL. I've been blessed, really. The frustration is that I want to be a complete fullback. But I also know you do what you're good at."

Jones said Barnes is a hard worker who knows his way around and through NFL defenses.

Advertisement

He's smart," Jones said. "There's not too many things he hasn't seen. He goes hard every play and that's what you want in a fullback."

Said Barnes: "Thomas is the kind of guy who makes his teammates' job easy because you don't have to give him much room. He'll run a guy over or shake him. He has everything you want (in a running back)."

Barnes, who played one season at Rutgers before transferring to Hampton, is also making his mark off the field. He and longtime friend Josh Joldsond co-own a comic book publishing company. The project they're working on now is called the "National Triumph League" and it features an imaginary sport where 10 teams of superheroes compete to catch villains. The more you catch, the higher you score.

At age 9, Barnes became fascinated with superheroes after seeing the "Batman" movie. He began drawing crime-fighting figures and it has evolved into a possible business venture.

Currently, Barnes is working with "Big City Comics" to publish the series in August or September of this year. Right now, however, his focus is on becoming a major part of the Jets offense and flattening opposing linebackers, much like a superhero would do.

Notes: Veteran WR Justin McCareins, who was thought to be a salary cap casualty ($2.9 million base salary in 2007), is having a strong off-season and it's unlikely the team will release him. Mangini has raved about his performance. The club, however, may wish to rework his deal, which includes a $2.9 million base salary this season. ...

Rookie first-round pick CB Darrelle Revis is working as a nickel back with the first team. ... C Nick Mangold and LB Matt Chatham sat out yesterday with undisclosed injuries. ... Mangini will hold his annual football camp today in his native Hartford, Conn

Unusual pair getting a shot

BY TOM ROCK

tom.rock@newsday.com

Email this story

Printer friendly format

June 2, 2007

Most players use this time of the year to shake off the cobwebs and get back into a football frame of mind. For the ones who have been away from the game for four or five months, the acclimation is arduous. For the ones who have been away for four or five years, well, it can be downright overwhelming.

That's the case for two Jets players participating in this week's training at Hofstra. Defensive end and linebacker Andre Wadsworth hasn't played in the NFL since doctors told him his career was finished in 2001, and wide receiver Jesse Pellot-Rosa hasn't played organized football since prep school, instead spending four years as a basketball standout for Virginia Commonwealth.

Neither is guaranteed a roster spot - it would be a stunner to be sure if either makes the team - but both are rekindling their familiarity with football this week after a long absence.

"There's a lot of rust to get off, but it feels good to be with the guys, the team, the coach, the camaraderie," said Wadsworth, a former first-round draft pick of the Cardinals and one of the most curious stories of the preseason. A successful businessman who owns six car dealerships in Florida, Wadsworth decided he needed to give the sport at least one more try.

"I love football," the 32-year-old said. "Why do people think it's crazy to do this?"

Wadsworth said even though he was officially retired, he never lost the desire to play football again. He described it as an unreachable itch under a cast, a convenient metaphor from someone who underwent 13 knee surgeries. Doctors and coaches told him he'd never play again, and even the Jets front office tried to talk him out of a comeback before taking a flier on him as a low-risk free agent.

"As much as we tried to scare him off and get him to reconsider, he was determined," coach Eric Mangini said.

Coming out of high school, Pellot-Rosa was a better football prospect than Wadsworth. While Wadsworth was told he should lower his sights to a I-AA opportunity (he eventually walked on and became a starter at Florida State), Pellot-Rosa was recruited by several ACC football programs but wound up playing hoops at a school that doesn't even field a football team. Shortly after taking VCU to the NCAA Tournament and a first-round upset of Duke in March, he was invited to try out with the Jets and he signed a free-agent contract in May.

"It's very tough," Pellot-Rosa said of cramming years of football knowledge and instinct into a few weeks. Asked if he felt like a football player yet, Pellot-Rosa hedged just a bit.

"I'm playing football now," he said. "I'm not all the way in tip-top shape, but I'm getting there."

Notes & quotes: Wadsworth played defensive end at Arizona but is mostly an outside linebacker so far with the Jets. Asked if he'd ever had to drop back into pass coverage he quickly boasted: "Check my stats, I had a pick against (Dan) Marino" ... Mangini gave glowing reviews to WR Justin McCareins' offseason, especially several stellar plays on Thursday. McCareins has been followed by rumors of trades and possible release since the 2006 season ended. "I'm a New York Jet until they tell me to leave," McCareins said. "Even if I ended up somewhere else, what would it hurt for me to keep working as hard as I can?" ... C Nick Mangold and LB Matt Chatham did not participate in practice Friday. WR Tim Dwight and DE David Bowens practiced sparingly.

Archived