Matt Chatham ready for his 8th NFL season

Kentucky Jet

Chatham Ready For 8th NFL Season

Matt Chatham starts training camp with the New York Jets on July 27th.

Sioux City--He grew up right here in Sioux City and he's lived the dream of winning a Super Bowl. In fact, he's won three.

North High and University of South Dakota graduate and current New York Jet, Matt Chatham was recently back in his home town. He's a veteran now, getting ready for his 8th season in the NFL.

Chatham's playoff appearances are even more surprising. Playing this past year with the New York Jets, he's now been in the postseason five of his seven seasons, including the last four in a row.

"There must be some lucky charm they hang up in the locker room," says Chatham. "It's interesting. I have similar philosophies to the people I've worked for. Similar values help to get things done. Success doesn't just fall in your lap. You have to get it."

Chatham, who will turn 30 on Thursday, has never been a starter in the NFL. He has tasted the endzone, like on a fumble recovery for a touchdown in 2003 when he was with the New England Patriots. He's also had his moments in the limelight from appearances on the Tonight Show, to knocking over a streaker in the Super Bowl.

Now the veteran just focuses on the upcoming season, facing the reality that he can be cut at any time and enjoying every moment he has in the National Football League.

"I think you get married to the grind," adds Chatham. "The NFL season is an incredible grind. It gets tougher each year, that's for sure, but you become addicted to the challenge."

He and his wife of six years make their home on Long Island, about 30 minutes away from Manhattan in New York City. It's a long way from where he grew up, but he always appreciates his time back in Sioux City and the changes back home.

"I kind of take that ride around the east side of town; there's new construction, a lot of things have changed," adds the players who wears #58 for the Jets. "But there's a lot of things that haven't. It's nice to get back and reminisce."

Training camp starts July 27th for the Jets.

Chatham's listed as a second team linebacker.

Updated: June 27, 2007, 9:21 pm

Archived