I like this Dude's athletic profile as a safety

was listening to Sirus 88 (nfl channel). Can't recall what show was on, but every year they analyze position groups across the league. This week they did Safetys. They gave the NY Jets Safety room the highest grade in the AFCE, beating out bills fish ne.

Didn't listen long enough to hear how our grade compared to some other teams, but coming out #1 in our own division was nice to hear. Their analysis goes into pretty good depth on each player, 10 or so categories they explore and grade, then add up a final score. Things like starts, plays, passed defended, sacks, QB pressure, TFL, fumbles created/recovered....on and on. All the pertinent things a Safey does gets look at and graded.

I was pleasantly surprised we got the top Safety grade! May not be as week as we all fear

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, hmhertz said:

Arm length and agility-

isaiah-oliver-ras-16059.png?resize=806%2C522&ssl=1

11 hours ago, varjet said:

Crappy splits for a corner. 

9 hours ago, hmhertz said:

A 4.0 shuttle and 33.5'' arms is excellent for a corner or safety,

better than Terrion Arnold or Richard Sherman

looks to me like he's referring to the 20 & 10 yd splits. 

There were a couple of conflicting reports from Ulbrich's presser on Tuesday.  Some reported that Oliver is moving to Safety.  Others reported that he said he moved him to Safety to get a look at him today.  

As seems common with our beat reporters, there does not seem to be much clarity.  I guess if I cared enough I could find the presser on the Jets site and see what he actually said.

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Doesn’t Ulbirch saying he’s moving Oliver to safety confirm it? 

Which makes the writer the primary source?  Well that's good if he's a reliable source unlike others who tweet fake news. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Which makes the writer the primary source?  Well that's good if he's a reliable source unlike others who tweet fake news. 

It came directly from Ulbrichs presser.  The primary source is Ulbrich

30 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Coaches making it real clear to other teams that the safeties on the roster aren't great and that's going to be the weakness on the defense. 

Eh.  Could be, but I think they probably brought Oliver over with the eye toward him being a sort of hybrid slot corner/safety.  I posted some quotes from Ulbrich when they both were in Atlanta talking up Oliver in that role.  If they planned on him at S all along that might explain why they didn't really bring anybody else in.  Rosenblatt and Costello made it sound like he is a safety now.   Leberfeld said they were doing it "to see what it looks like."

FWIW, he seems a pretty fair blitzer.  He only has 2 sacks, but 12 pressures and has done it enough and the fans in Atlanta liked him in that role.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, FootballLove said:

was listening to Sirus 88 (nfl channel). Can't recall what show was on, but every year they analyze position groups across the league. This week they did Safetys. They gave the NY Jets Safety room the highest grade in the AFCE, beating out bills fish ne.

Didn't listen long enough to hear how our grade compared to some other teams, but coming out #1 in our own division was nice to hear. Their analysis goes into pretty good depth on each player, 10 or so categories they explore and grade, then add up a final score. Things like starts, plays, passed defended, sacks, QB pressure, TFL, fumbles created/recovered....on and on. All the pertinent things a Safey does gets look at and graded.

I was pleasantly surprised we got the top Safety grade! May not be as week as we all fear

“Movin the Chains.” I came in the middle of it. I thought it was just CBs but maybe it was DBs. Jim Miller was high on Oliver. The show was before the announced trying of Oliver at Safety. 

Kirwan thought the Jets would keep 6 CBs. Sauce, Reed, Carter, Oliver, Echols and Stiggers.

Kirwan said any thought of waiving Stiggers to sign him to the PS wouldn’t work as he’d be easily claimed by another team. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Doesn’t Ulbirch saying he’s moving Oliver to safety confirm it? 

They are seeing what he looks like at Safety. It’s not a definitive move, yet. 

Dan Leberfeld ⁦‪@jetswhispers‬⁩

Jets DC Jeff Ulbrich said the Jets moved Isaiah Oliver to safety today to "see what that looks like."

5/21/24, 1:32 PM

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Jets DC Jeff Ulbrich said the Jets moved Isaiah Oliver to safety today to "see what that looks like."

I get that, didn’t take it as a permanent move unless the move suits him.  
But his move to safety, TBD for how long is happening.

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Eh.  Could be, but I think they probably brought Oliver over with the eye toward him being a sort of hybrid slot corner/safety.  I posted some quotes from Ulbrich when they both were in Atlanta talking up Oliver in that role.  If they planned on him at S all along that might explain why they didn't really bring anybody else in.  Rosenblatt and Costello made it sound like he is a safety now.   Leberfeld said they were doing it "to see what it looks like."

FWIW, he seems a pretty fair blitzer.  He only has 2 sacks, but 12 pressures and has done it enough and the fans in Atlanta liked him in that role.

Saleh also said earlier in the week that safety is an open competition. That wouldn't happen if they were happy with the starters rolling over from last year. 

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

Saleh also said earlier in the week that safety is an open competition. That wouldn't happen if they were happy with the starters rolling over from last year. 

They say that all the time about almost everything.  It rarely means a ******* thing.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, C Mart said:

“Movin the Chains.” I came in the middle of it. I thought it was just CBs but maybe it was DBs. Jim Miller was high on Oliver. The show was before the announced trying of Oliver at Safety. 

Kirwan thought the Jets would keep 6 CBs. Sauce, Reed, Carter, Oliver, Echols and Stiggers.

Kirwan said any thought of waiving Stiggers to sign him to the PS wouldn’t work as he’d be easily claimed by another team. 

Good deal. I missed the DB grading, but assume our DB room is near the top of the entire NFL. Thank you Joe!

15 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Jordan Whitehead barely left the field at SS last year, this year he’s not on the team. It’s probably Clark’s job to lose, but there’s also probably going to be a competition. Tony Adams is most likely safe at FS, though. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, C Mart said:

Does anybody know where to find the actual video of Ulbrich's presser?  The quotes and tone between Leberfeld and the others were not the same.