Encore for Eric- Daily News

Kentucky Jet

Encore for Eric

Mangini, Jets try to top selves - and Patriots - in second year

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

On his family vacation, Eric Mangini ventured into enemy territory. He spent a blissful week at Cape Cod, soaking up summer's simple pleasures - swimming, ice cream, etc. - in the heart of Patriots country.

Even when he gets away, he doesn't get away from that team. Not that he minded kicking back in the land of Belichick.

"I was pretty anonymous up there," the Jets' coach said this past week.

Mangini likes it that way, but those days could be ending, especially in these parts. His surprisingly successful rookie season, combined with his cameo on the next-to-last episode of "The Sopranos" and last week's announcement that he will serve as a youth-level adviser for USA Football, has turned Mangini, 36, into a budding coaching star. The "Man-genius" reference on the celebrated TV show did wonders for his popularity.

"I'm sure that was very funny for my high-school teachers and college professors to hear that," the self-deprecating coach said.

Life is good for Mangini, but coaching pedestals in the NFL don't come with lifetime leases. To maintain his standing, and to prove he's not a one-year wonder, Mangini must overcome a new set of challenges in Year Two, which begins Friday with the opening of training camp at Hofstra.

After overachieving in 2006, the Jets are widely regarded as a legitimate playoff contender, which means Mangini must deal with the often-dreaded

Archived