NY Jets news articles- Saturday 9/22

Kentucky Jet

Bergen Record

Jets' RB has shot vs. Miami 'D' missing Thomas

Saturday, September 22, 2007

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- A year ago, the Jets' rushing offense ranked 30th in the NFL in yards per carry with 3.5.

After two games in 2007, they're tied for 30th in that statistic at 2.8. Not exactly the numbers the Jets were hoping for when they traded for Chicago's Thomas Jones in March.

Of course, it could be argued that those figures are somewhat skewed, considering that the Jets have faced New England and Baltimore, two of the top five rushing defenses last season in terms of yards per game. Miami, their opponent Sunday, was eighth in the NFL in rushing yards per game in 2006 but is next-to-last in that category in 2007, allowing 178.5 yards per game.

The Dolphins (0-2) also have allowed 4.6 yards per carry. So on paper, this would seem like an excellent chance for the Jets to get their running game in gear, especially with linebacker Zach Thomas downgraded to out Friday because of the lingering effects of a concussion.

GREEN MACHINE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Football writer J.P. Pelzman tackles all the behind-the-scenes stories about your New York Jets

Visit the blog

Of course, the Jets (0-2) aren't about to make any predictions, lest they provide Miami with some extra incentive.

"Everyone says they're struggling" on defense, said fullback Darian Barnes, who played for Miami the past two seasons. "I played with those guys. ... Those guys all are good. It's another great tackling team. We have to work together and get everybody on the same page, so we can be successful with the running game."

Jones missed most of preseason with a strained calf, meaning he didn't have much of a chance to work with the offensive line. That line, of course, went through a transition of its own when veteran left guard Pete Kendall was traded last month because of a salary dispute. Third-year player Adrien Clarke has taken over at that position.

"We're making progress each week," second-year center Nick Mangold said of the offensive line.

"We're getting a little bit more chemistry," Jones said, "as far as the running backs and offensive line, so I think we're going in the right direction."

The Jets literally went in the wrong direction several times against Baltimore, as Jones, who had 67 yards on 24 carries for a 2.8-yard average, was tackled three times for 3-yard losses when one defender came unblocked. Take away those three plays and he would've averaged 3.6 yards per carry. Still not all that impressive, but closer to respectability.

"To really be successful," said Barnes, who was signed by the Jets for his excellent skills as a lead blocker, "you've got to have 10 guys doing the right thing. Some people say it starts with the offensive line. It starts with everybody. We're all really important."

"I feel like we're making progress," Jones said. "It's a long season and we have to keep plugging [and] keep fighting and that's what we're doing."

Said Barnes: "We're working hard every day to try to get it right and I think we are close."

They'll find out how close Sunday.

BRIEFS: Quarterback Chad Pennington is listed as questionable, but it would be quite surprising if he didn't start. He practiced on a limited basis Friday. ... Miami also downgraded safety Donovin Darius to out because of a calf injury. Darius didn't practice Thursday or Friday.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Thomas Jones hopes to shake early-season struggles

BY KRISTIE ACKERT

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, September 22nd 2007, 4:00 AM

Thomas Jones has rushed for 109 yards on 38 carries so far this season.

Thomas Jones was simply super in leading the Bears to the Super Bowl last season. Going into tomorrow's home game against Miami, all the Jets want him to be is simply better than he has been the past two weeks.

Jones, who has rushed for 109 yards on 38 carries, missed most of the preseason after straining his right calf and has not been the threat the Jets had hoped for.

But against a weakened Dolphin defense, the eight-year veteran has a big chance to quickly improve on his slow start.

"It's an ongoing process with the running game and we're all involved in it," Eric Mangini said. "(Jones) faced two pretty good run defenses the past two weeks. It's going to take everybody improving; Thomas, the offensive line, the receivers and the quarterback. You're always working to get that as fluid as possible and as efficient as possible."

After running for more than 1,000 yards the last two seasons, Jones was expected to come in and be the every-down back that the Jets had in Curtis Martin. Jones, whom the Bears traded to the Jets to make Cedric Benson their featured back, is averaging just 2.9 yards per carry, and according to STATS, LLC, only 1.32 yards per rush after contact, the fourth-worst mark in the league.

After gaining just 42 yards on 14carries in the Jets' 38-14 season-opening loss to the Pats, Jones rushed 24times for 67 yards in Gang Green's 20-13 loss at Baltimore in Week 2. So, Jones has seen improvement, but he thinks he can do more against the Fish.

"I feel like we did some good things last week," said Jones, 29. "We want to continue with what we did last week and it will come. There is progress. We are getting more chemistry with the running backs and offensive line, so I feel like we are going in the right direction."

That direction may get even better for Jones and the Jets. Ranked second to last in the NFL in run defense, the Dolphins will be without middle linebacker Zach Thomas, who is out with a concussion.

CHAD NEWS: Chad Pennington, who has been listed as questionable all week, continued to practice with the first-team offense yesterday, and indications are that he will start tomorrow. In addition to Thomas, Miami S Donovin Darius (calf) also will be out and QB Trent Green (ankle) is probable

Dolphins' Thomas won't play against Jets

(Original publication: September 22, 2007)

HEMPSTEAD - Miami middle linebacker Zach Thomas was officially ruled out of tomorrow's game against the Jets.

The seven-time Pro Bowler has missed only 13 games in 12 seasons, but tests revealed he suffered a concussion on Sunday, and he hasn't practiced since Tuesday because of migraines.

Channing Crowder, who played middle linebacker for three games in the preseason when Thomas rested, will move from his outside linebacker position. Derrick Pope is the likely candidate to move into the starting lineup.

"I could never replace Zach," Crowder said. "I just take over. He's an irreplaceable guy. His presence and his knowledge of the game are really missed when he's not in there."

The Dolphins gave up an average of 376 yards in the first two games, 25th in the NFL. The Jets' offense is also ranked 25th, putting up an average of 265.5 yards a game.

Staff and wire reports

Jets' defense struggles

But Dolphins have shown they often can turn the ball over

BY CARL KOTALA

FLORIDA TODAY

If there is one thing David Bowens learned about chasing quarterbacks while playing in Miami it's this:

"Sacks do come in bunches," the New York Jets' defensive end told reporters. "Last year, I went seven games without getting one and then I got one in each of the last six games. They do come like that."

Not for the Jets, they don't.

At least not in the first two games this season. New York defenders never laid a paw on New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, or even Baltimore's Kyle Boller.

They haven't had an interception or recovered a fumble, either.

No, it's not the sole reason why the Jets are 0-2 as they head into Sunday's 1 p.m. game at the Meadowlands against the Miami Dolphins (0-2), but the lack of sacks and turnovers obviously hasn't helped.

"We got to keep doing what we're doing," Jets safety Kerry Rhodes said. "We're getting closer. We had a couple of chances in the game, but we didn't capitalize on it against the Patriots.

"We have to try and improve on first down and get them into longer third downs, so we could come after them. If they're in third and short, it's hard to get to the quarterback. We got to win on first down and if we do that, we'll get a couple."

Miami has handed the ball over to its opponents more than a couple times already this season. Dolphins quarterback Trent Green was intercepted four times and fumbled once in last week's loss to Dallas. Miami also lost a fumble against the Washington Redskins.

Think the Jets haven't been hearing those statistics all week?

"Well, I think that's probably irritated them a lot, since that's been made a point since Sunday, that they don't have any sacks or turnovers," Green told reporters. "I'm sure they will play very aggressive. Playing at home, they will be playing very enthused. The fact that you have two 0-2 teams, you are going to have two very desperate teams that want a win, that need a win. It's a division game, so it carries that much more importance. It's a rivalry game, so it carries that much more importance.

"For two 0-2 teams, you really can't have a much more intense situation or desperate situation for both teams. I think you're going to get the best out of both teams."

While there is some hope for teams who start the season with two losses --- since 1980, there have been 18 teams that made the postseason after being 0-2 -- going 0-3 would really put the loser of this game in a hole.

"Desperate is a pretty harsh word, but I think we're both definitely hungry for a win and both really need a win," Rhodes said. "It's going to be tough anyway. Since I've been here three years, every game has been tight and come down to the wire, so its probably not going to change."

Contact Kotala at 242-3692 or e-mail ckotala@floridatoday.com

D'Brick may not be a star, but he's improving

BY ERIK BOLAND erik.boland@newsday.com. Staff writer Tom Rock contri

September 22, 2007

It is much too early to refer to D'Brick as D'Flop but there is no question the Jets hoped for more when they made D'Brickashaw Ferguson their first-round pick in 2006.

The Jets expected an impact player with the No. 4 overall pick, but there have been too many occasions when Ferguson has allowed impacts with Jets quarterbacks.

The left tackle, who allowed 10 sacks last season, was beaten by Patriots defensive end Jarvis Green in a Week 1 loss, a play resulting in Chad Pennington's ankle injury. There was improvement last week in Baltimore as Ferguson mostly kept Pro Bowl linebacker Terrell Suggs out of the backfield.

"I thought Brick showed a lot of progress last week," coach Eric Mangini said. "That's a tough defensive group to play against. There were some excellent examples of the progress that he's made throughout the offseason and the progress he's made throughout camp. He plays one of the toughest positions in football. He plays against usually the best pass rusher on every single team and it's week-in and week-out."

That again will be the case Sunday when the 0-2 Dolphins come to the Meadowlands with a defense led by Jason Taylor, the league's reigning defensive player of the year who alternates between positions on the defensive line and linebacker. Ferguson for the most part held Taylor - the Dolphins' all-time sacks leader with 107 - in check last season. Taylor made two sacks, one attributable to Ferguson, against the Jets in two games.

"I think it definitely helps," Ferguson said of having played Taylor before. "You're not going in there as, I don't want to use the word blindfolded, but you know what you are going against, so you feel a little more comfortable with that."

Taylor earlier this week said Ferguson's difficulties on the offensive line's most difficult position were natural.

"There are always going to be struggles when you have a young guy there," Taylor said. "There are struggles for veterans at times. I said it last year and I'll say it now; that he's one of those guys that is going to be a good player there for a long time."

The Jets' line, which has allowed nine sacks in two games, gets a break Sunday because Dolphins middle linebacker Zach Thomas, a seven-time Pro Bowl selection, is out with concussion symptoms. He suffered the concussion during last week's loss to Dallas. Thomas' absence makes Ferguson's job easier, though it is never easy.

"This is the position that I play," Ferguson said. "That's just what I face. You think of quarterbacks, running backs ... everybody has a different thing that they face. My battle is with the defensive ends and the linebackers. It's different for everybody, but I think we all have a pretty equal level of pressure."

Staff writer Tom Rock contributed to this story.

Sunday

Dolphins at Jets

1 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2

Radio: WEPN (1050), WABC (770), WRCN (103.9)

For Some, Video Incident Raises Questions About Mangini

By JUDY BATTISTA

Published: September 20, 2007

Spygate did more than deepen the fissure between coaches Eric Mangini and Bill Belichick. It set off a debate in the N.F.L. community about whose behavior was more troubling. The Patriots and Belichick for breaking league rules? Or the Jets and Mangini for breaching an unspoken code among coaches by allowing his team to turn in his former mentor?

Unlike the video evidence that the Jets gave the N.F.L., the answer is more nuanced. Belichick was fined $500,000 and the Patriots $250,000. The team possibly could lose a first-round draft pick, but Mangini

Jets looking to get ground game going

Saturday, September 22, 2007

BY M.A. MEHTA

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- The souped-up running game the Jets were expecting this season has sputtered, stumbled and staggered through the first two games.

Thomas Jones, the $20 million centerpiece, and speedy Leon Washington have struggled for a ground attack languishing near the bottom in the NFL. Eric Mangini's club has managed just 64.5 rushing yards (tied for 29th) and 2.8 yards per carry (tied for 30th) en route to an 0-2 start.

Jones -- who has carried the ball 38 times for 109 yards (2.9 yards per carry) -- has done little to breathe life into the running game.

"It's an ongoing process with the running game and we're all involved in it," Mangini said. "(Jones) faced two pretty good run defenses the past two weeks. It's going to take everybody improving -- Thomas, the offensive line, the receivers and the quarterback. You're always working to get that as fluid as possible and as efficient as possible."

After facing the Patriots and Ravens -- the top two run defenses in the NFL -- the Jets get a crack at a surprisingly porous Miami defense that ranks 31st in the league against the run, surrendering an eye-popping 178.5 yards per game.

To make things easier for the Jets, the Dolphins, who were ranked No. 4 in overall defense last season, will be missing one of their key components. Seven-time Pro Bowl linebacker Zach Thomas will sit out due to a mild concussion suffered in Miami's loss to the Cowboys last week.

"We've missed too many tackles and that has hurt us," said Dolphins Pro Bowler Jason Taylor, the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year. "We made a lot of mistakes in technique and gap control and those sorts of things. ... There are plenty of things we can correct. It's not that alarming to us now, but we definitely need to not let that happen again this week."

When it's a classic case of weakness vs. weakness, ineptitude vs. incompetence, something's got to give, right? In other words, Jones and Washington will have every opportunity to break out of their early season funks.

"Thomas and Leon are a big part of what we want to do," said fullback Darian Barnes, who played the past two seasons with the Dolphins. "We want to get the ball in the hands of our playmakers, so (the running game) is a big deal. It's huge for us this week."

Jones did show some promising signs by grinding out 67 tough yards against the stingy Ravens.

Washington, a spark plug that showed flashes of brilliance last season, has been a nonfactor so far. The second-year pro didn't have a carry or reception last week.

"It's going to be different every week," Mangini said of his running back rotation. "Sometimes Leon will have a significant amount of reps and Thomas will have less. ... It's based on what we think is going give us the best shot."

To nobody's surprise, Mangini didn't officially name Chad Pennington the starter for tomorrow's game, but the veteran looked good on his ailing ankle and took snaps with the first team in the 30-minute portion of practice open to the media.

"With any injury situation, you have to go through the whole week," Mangini said. "I've been part of decisions where it looks really good going into game day, and you do a pregame workout and it's not exactly what you expected. Or vice versa. You have to go through the whole process before you make that final decision."

Mangini didn't commit to a primary kickoff returner to replace Pro Bowler Justin Miller, who was placed on injured reserve after suffering a knee injury last week. Washington, Brad Smith, Wallace Wright and Darrelle Revis are all in the mix, the coach said.

Dolphins QB Trent Green (ankle) and G Rex Hadnot (shoulder) are probable. ... The Jets reported no serious injuries.

M.A. Mehta may be reached

at mmehta@starledger.com

Quick quotes from Mangini

by M.A. Mehta

Hempstead, N.Y. -- A few "gems" from Eric Mangini's morning press conference:

To nobody's surprise, Mangini didn't officially name Chad Pennington the starter for Sunday's game, but Pennington looked good and took snaps with the first team in the 30-minute portion of practice open to the media.

"He's continuing along the path that we have," Mangini said before practice. "I'm comfortable with his progress throughout the course of the week. With any injury situation, you have to go through the whole week. I've been part of decisions where it looks really good going into gameday, and you do a pre-game workout and it's not exactly what you expected. Or vice versa. You have to go through the whole process before you make that final decision."

Mangini didn't commit to a primary kickoff returner to replace Pro Bowler Justin Miller, who was placed on injured reserve after suffering a knee injury last week. Leon Washington, Brad Smith, Wallace Wright and Darrelle Revis will all get a look, Mangini said.

"There will be multiple guys that will work back there," the coach said. "Leon (Washington) presents some problems. Brad Smith has a certain style.... All of these guys will have opportunities different weeks. Having those four different options there, it gives you some flexibility."

Mangini on whether D'Brickashaw Ferguson has worked with famed boxing trainer/special assistant Teddy Atlas, who visited the team yesterday:

"Brick did some work during the offseason with the boxing program. The program that we put in place this off-season stemmed from (atlas) sitting in on the offensive meeting post-practice where we were watching the tape and me talking about the offensive line's punch, the defensive line's hand placement, the defensive backs in the jam.... That's why we wanted to move that program forward and formalize the relationship."

The Jets literally went in the wrong direction several times against Baltimore, as Jones, who had 67 yards on 24 carries for a 2.8-yard average, was tackled three times for 3-yard losses when one defender came unblocked. Take away those three plays and he would've averaged 3.6 yards per carry. Still not all that impressive, but closer to respectability.

"To really be successful," said Barnes, who was signed by the Jets for his excellent skills as a lead blocker, "you've got to have 10 guys doing the right thing. Some people say it starts with the offensive line. It starts with everybody. We're all really important."

Oh yeah, that.

Archived