NY Jets news articles- Mon- 9/24

Kentucky Jet

SPECIAL TEAMS BACK ON TRACK

By MARK CANNIZZARO

September 24, 2007 -- Through the first two games of the season, the Jets' special teams, usually a strength, were struggling.

Justin Miller, their Pro Bowl kickoff returner, was shelved for the season with a knee injury suffered last Sunday. Their kickoff coverage had been an embarrassment, allowing a 108-yard TD return in the opener and a 61-yarder last week. Even their booming punter, Ben Graham, hadn't looked himself.

Yesterday, the Jets cured a lot of what had been ailing them on special teams, and they ignited the change with a 98-yard Leon Washington kickoff return for a touchdown, a play that gave the Jets a 14-7 lead they would never lose.

"Hopefully I can impersonate Justin Miller," Washington said. "Before I even touched the ball, I have a lot of confidence in (special teams coach) Mike Westhoff and the schemes he puts together. I know once I get the ball I have a chance. Once I saw that hole I just hit it."

Linebacker David Bowens, who was part of the kickoff return wedge that opened the gaping holes for Washington, said, "Once he gets the ball in his hands, the sky's the limit . . . and he took it."

Safety Kerry Rhodes recorded the Jets' first defensive turnover of the season when he picked off Green in the third quarter. It led to the Jets' final score of the game, a Chad Pennington QB draw that made it 31-13.

Pennington has now thrown at least one TD pass in his last eight games, the longest current active streak in the NFL. Pennington's rushing TD was his first since 2004 and the sixth of his career.

No. 1 draft pick Darrelle Revis, who has secured a starting job as a rookie cornerback, had his toughest game of the season, having trouble covering Dolphins' WR Chris Chambers, who caught six passes for 101 yards. Revis, who hadn't had a lot of passes thrown in his direction in the first two games, was called for two pass interference penalties, one of which was declined by Miami.

The Jets' defense was scorched all game by screen plays, something that agitated Mangini.

"We need to get the screens cleaned up," Mangini said. Said DE Shaun Ellis: "They hit some big ones on us."

Chad Pennington returns, leads Jets past Dolphins

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, September 24th 2007, 4:00 AM

It wasn't a hallwark victory, but it had a Hallmark feel - a get-well card from the Dolphins, who always can be counted on to lift the Jets out of the dumps.

For the fourth straight year, the Jets returned home after a crushing road loss to beat the Dolphins, capturing yesterday's Desperation Bowl at the Meadowlands, 31-28, after nearly blowing an 18-point lead in the fourth quarter.

The names and faces change - this time, Thomas Jones played the role of Curtis Martin - but the theme has remained the same:

The Jets win and exhale. ("This feels better," sighed Eric Mangini, knowing his team had avoided the 0-3 death sentence.) The Dolphins lose and fume.

After the game, Miami cornerback Travis Daniels picked a fight with defensive end Shaun Ellis in the tunnel, and the two players had to be pulled apart. Later, Jason Taylor, the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year, found it hard to accept that he was held to four quiet tackles and no sacks by a previously porous Jets offensive line.

"I (stink) right now," Taylor sniffed. "It's as simple as that, so there's your headline."

The Jets are dominating the rivalry, having won six of the last seven meetings and 15 of 19. This was hardly a one-sided game, as the Jets were outgained 424-256, but they walked out of the stadium with plenty to feel good about.

For a change, they made a big play on special teams, not vice versa, as Leon Washington scored on a 98-yard kickoff return. Though his sprained right ankle still isn't 100%, Chad Pennington returned after a one-game respite and led four long scoring drives, ending the fourth with a 2-yard TD on a quarterback draw. Hold off that talk about a quarterback controversy, folks.

At times, the Pennington-led passing game was as unsightly as his touchdown spike - he threw for only 124 yards, a career low in a victory - but the Jets found ways to make clutch plays. Pennington was 8-for-9 on third down, including two feathery touchdown passes to Laveranues Coles (three yards) and Chris Baker (four yards). "He brings a different energy to the team," said Jerricho Cotchery, who ribbed Pennington about his spiking technique.

Pennington, who owns a 7-1 lifetime mark against the Dolphins, was ebullient after the game. After being held out of last week's loss in Baltimore, he wanted back in the worst way. He arrived at 9 a.m., four hours before kickoff. He admitted to being jittery on the first drive, but that probably ended when he was body-slammed by Vonnie Holliday on an incompletion.

"That was a welcome-back party," Pennington joked.

For Jones, it was a coming-out party.

A nonfactor for 2-1/2 games, Jones owned the second half, plowing through the Miami defense - sans linebacker Zach Thomas (concussion) - for 92 yards. He finished with 110 yards on 25 carries, his best run an 11-yarder in which he stiff-armed Daniels in his face. Maybe that's why Daniels was in such a sour mood after the game. More importantly, the Jets proved they can control a game on the ground, something they couldn't do last season. A year ago, they lived and died on Pennington's arm. Now, there's balance.

Jones, their prized offseason addition, ran for almost as many yards in the second half as he had managed in the first two games (109). It also was a statement for the beleaguered offensive line, which finally played with an attitude.

"Everybody on this team has had a tough past two weeks, because you work so hard ... and when you lose, you feel like it was for nothing," Jones said. "For us to get our first win, it makes a big difference in our approach and gives us a lot of confidence."

The Jets made it interesting, allowing Ronnie Brown to score his second and third touchdowns in the final 8:56, the latter on a 22-yard screen pass from Trent Green (23-for-36, 318 yards). All day, the Jets acted as if they had never seen a screen before.

"I don't know how many yards there were," Mangini said, "but it seemed like a million."

The Dolphins' Cam Cameron might be 0-3 as a rookie head coach, but he's a clever play-caller and he constantly outsmarted the Jets with the screens, exploiting their pressure schemes. The Jets did manage their first sack (by Ellis) and first takeaway (a Kerry Rhodes interception) of the season but they allowed 16 plays of 10 yards or longer.

Air horns, anyone?

If Dolphins kicker Jay Feely had recovered his own onside kick with 1:15 remaining - he had a shot before Eric Smith pounced on it - it might have been a different outcome. "There was no panic," Rhodes insisted.

"It would've been tough to come back from 0-3, make the playoffs and achieve your goals," Jonathan Vilma said. "At 1-2, we're still in the thick of things. Hopefully, we can put a few wins together."

Patriots claim Jets videotaped at Foxboro in 2006

This smacks of sour grapes, but the Patriots reportedly caught the Jets illegally videotaping during a game last season in Foxborough, Fox Sports.com reported yesterday.

Suspiciously, the report, quoting unidentified sources, surfaced more than a week after the Patriots were busted by the Jets for spying at the season opener. Bill Belichick and the team received heavy sanctions from the NFL.

The Patriots didn't make a stink last year with the NFL, the report said. They simply put a stop to it. The Pats apparently didn't confiscate any evidence.

GM Mike Tannenbaum, reached by the Daily News, said, "There's nothing to the story."

---

Chad Pennington spent a lot of time in the trainer's room last week multitasking. He sat with his laptop computer and his DVDs of the Dolphins defense - he acquired them within the rules, by the way - while he was getting treatment on his sprained right ankle.

No iPods to pass the time. No talking on his cell phone. He was studying.

"I had a makeshift film room," Pennington said.

Sitting out one week was enough for Pennington. And it was enough for the Jets. The Kellen Clemens era is coming soon, but Pennington showed yesterday he still gives the Jets the best chance to win right now, even if he was limping after plays in which he really had to use his legs.

Pennington had only 15 completions and threw for only 124 yards in the Jets' less-than-artistic 31-28 victory over the Dolphins, who may not win more than three games this season. But at least we know the Jets will not go winless.

It was Pennington's third-lowest yardage total of his career and the fewest he's had in any of his 32 victories in the regular season. But he threw TDs with great touch on a fade to Laveranues Coles and a quick strike to Chris Baker. Pennington even scored on a wide-open 2-yard draw.

"I've always been impressed with Chad Pennington," Miami coach Cam Cameron said. "He was out there playing on one leg and did an outstanding job."

That might have been a bit dramatic, even if Pennington clearly is not 100%. But he is the Jets' security blanket. He calms them down, rarely makes a bad read and until Clemens and his bigger arm are ready to take over, this is his team. "Chad has a great presence," Eric Mangini said.

Pennington arrived at Giants Stadium at 9 a.m. yesterday, four hours before kickoff, to get more treatment on his ankle, which he sprained two weeks ago in the opener against the Patriots. Until Bill Belichick's SpyGate developed in the days after that game, the fans cheering when Clemens replaced Pennington was the most compelling development of the day. It was very cold from a fan base that generally has been supportive of Pennington.

They apologized yesterday by giving him a big ovation when he came onto the field for the Jets' first offensive series. "I love Jet fans," Pennington said. "They are passionate, they are loyal, they really appreciate players who play with heart and play with physical toughness and give it everything they have. Ever since I've been here, that's always been my goal, no matter what the situation. Just give it all I have. That's all I can ask of myself. That's what they ask of each individual player. It was nice. I really enjoyed it and appreciated it."

This has been an eventful two weeks for the Jets. Mangini has been portrayed by Belichick apologists as the bad guy for turning in his former boss. "I understand all the different things that took place," Mangini said on his way to the coaches' locker room. "I've got to tell you I am very comfortable with where I am and where I stand on this whole situation."

The NFL destroyed the tapes the Patriots delivered from their video library, essentially putting an end to SpyGate. The Jets may want to forward tapes of yesterday's game to the NFL official in charge of disposing material that nobody should ever watch again.

The Jets emptied out the stadium after Pennington's touchdown run gave them a 31-13 lead with 12:51 left. But the defense, which gave up 424 yards, let up and allowed two touchdowns in the final 8:56 and put the Jets into position where they had to recover ex-Giant Jay Feely's onside kick with 1:15 remaining. It never should have been that close.

The Jets benefited at the end of the first half by Cameron's rookie coaching mistake. After Leon Washington ran back a kickoff 98 yards to give the Jets a 14-7 lead early in the second quarter, Cameron coached scared.

He had Feely kick off short after he kicked his first field goal. And after his second FG to get Miami within 14-13 with 1:36 remaining before the tribute to Wayne Chrebet at halftime, he had Feely squib it. Cameron says he believes if "a guy runs one back on you, you better not give him a chance to do it twice in the same half."

Jerricho Cotchery recovered at the Jets' 43. Pennington had three timeouts and a short field. He hit seven of eight passes for 55 yards, including a nice throw to Baker in the back of the end zone from the 4 with two seconds left. Baker reached out with his right hand to bring in the pass and got both feet inbounds. The Jets survived a review by the replay assistant, but the Dolphins could never overcome Cameron's decision. It's not like Washington had a history of being a prolific kickoff returner.

Pennington played with a lot of energy, spiking the ball after his TD run and then getting good elevation in an attempted chest bump on the sideline with Kerry Rhodes.

"When I get in there, I hope guys can feed off my energy," he said. "I try to be really energetic and enthusiastic and lead the way. It's important we play with passion."

It was even more important that Pennington was back and the Jets finally got their first victory.

gmyers@nydailynews.com

Coming-out party for Thomas Jones

BY HANK GOLA

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

They had to wait 2-1/2 games for Thomas Jones' coming-out party, but the Jets yesterday finally got a glimpse of what they were after when they traded for the running back in March.

Jones rushed for 110 yards on 25 carries, including 92 on 19 carries in the second half in a 31-28 victory that shouldn't have been that close.

After gaining just 109 yards in the first two games as a Jet (averaging just under three yards per carry), the former Bear made the most of his first chance to take a game over. It was the first time this season the Jets had played with the lead, while the Dolphins' defense was missing Pro Bowl run stopper Zach Thomas.

"Yeah, I felt that today," said Jones, who ran for 112 yards in the Bears' Super Bowl loss to the Colts. "After the first two games, it took some time for us to get some sort of chemistry going but today the offensive line did a great job of blocking."

The Jets' running game outgained the passing game, 141-124, something that happened only twice last year, when the team went with a running game by committee. Jones' arrival was supposed to lead to more balance.

"To me, the running game is complementary," Eric Mangini said. "He (Jones) has got an excellent tone that he sets in the way he runs. He has the ability to bounce out or hammer it up the inside. Offensive lines love to be able to run the ball multiple times and that helps to free things up in the play-action passing game. All of that is positive."

Jones did yeoman-like work on the 15-play, 74-yard drive that made it 31-13, even if it was Chad Pennington scoring the touchdown on a QB draw.

"On that drive, he was running all over the place," said wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery.

Jones carried seven times for 42 yards on the 7:36 march, including back-to-back 11-yard gains. The Jets called on him four straight times before the touchdown, all out of a no-huddle set that had the Dolphins sucking air.

"I think they were getting a little tired just tackling us and we were breaking off four- and five- and six-yard runs," Jones said. "That's the best part of being a running back, when you can feel the defense wearing down."

Jets beat Dolphins for first win of season

BY TOM ROCK tom.rock@newsday.com

September 24, 2007

Eric Mangini stepped in front of the cameras and microphones for his postgame news conference yesterday, and before a question was asked, he delivered five subtle little words that summed up the afternoon.

"This feels a lot better," he said softly, almost too quickly to notice. It was the first time all week that Mangini gave even a hint that the Jets' 0-2 start was disappointing, and provided what was really a verbalized sigh of relief.

On a day in which the starting quarterback returned from an ankle injury and the marquee running back had his first big game in his new uniform, 60 minutes of decent football against a not-so-decent opponent was all that was needed to turn gloom into optimism.

With a 31-28 win over the AFC East rival Dolphins, the Jets avoided the almost inescapable hole of three losses to open a season. And with winless Buffalo up next, followed by the Giants, the idea that the team is about to go on a roll isn't far-fetched. "Losing is frustrating," linebacker Jonathan Vilma said. "We knew we were going to get [a win], we just didn't know when. But this is just the start for us."

Although the score wound up being close and the statistical advantage leaned heavily toward the Dolphins, the Jets dominated the game. Thomas Jones, who had been lackluster in his first two games as a Jet, had 92 second-half rushing yards and 110 in the game. His straight-arm to the face of cornerback Travis Daniels on an 11-yard run early in the fourth quarter exemplified a physical authority the Jets had lacked in their first two games.

Coming out of halftime with a 21-13 lead, the Jets ran the ball 11 straight plays to go 67 yards, their longest drive of the season up to that point. They settled for a field goal after getting to the 3, but set the tone for the second half.

"As a running back, you love to wear a defense down," Jones said. "I think they were getting a little tired just tackling us and we were breaking off 4- and 5- and 6-yard runs. That's the best part of being a running back, when you can feel the defense wearing down."

Still, it was Chad Pennington who scored the Jets' first and only rushing touchdown of the season, ignoring the injured right ankle that kept him sidelined last week to take a designed quarterback draw in from 2 yards and make it 31-13 with 12:51 left in the game. The Dolphins (0-3) scored 15 points to make it close, but Eric Smith recovered an onside kick with 1:15 left to seal the win.

Pennington's rushing touchdown was impressive (though his touchdown dancing left a little to be desired), but his passing accuracy was spectacular. On the Jets' first touchdown, he lofted a 3-yard pass into the hands of Laveranues Coles to make it 7-0. And at the end of the second quarter, he engineered a nine-play, 57-yard drive in which he placed a perfect pass to Jerricho Cotchery on the sideline and followed with a 4-yarder to Chris Baker in the back of the end zone. Both were acrobatic grabs, and both players credited Pennington for putting the ball where it needed to be.

"He's just a natural," Cotchery said. "He can wake up and make pinpoint throws."

Pennington completed 15 of 22 passes. After a career-high 16 picks last season, he has yet to throw an interception this year.

For the second game in a row, Leon Washington burned the Dolphins. This time, it was a 98-yard kickoff return that made it 14-7 early in the second quarter, a point from which the Jets never lost the lead. Last year, on Christmas in Miami, he had a 64-yard pass reception that set up the winning field goal.

Unlike that victory last year, this win doesn't all but assure the Jets a playoff spot. But perhaps just as importantly, it doesn't all but preclude them, either. "We're 1-2, so we can't get too excited about things," Baker said. "But we can try to build on this win."

Breakout game

Thomas Jones gained more yards in yesterday's game than in his first two games as a Jet combined:

Opponent No. Yds. Avg. LG

Week 1 New England 14 42 3.0 12

Week 2 Baltimore 24 67 2.8 9

Week 3 Miami 25 110 4.4 12

Total 63 219 3.5 12

Sunday

Jets at Buffalo

1 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2

Radio: WABC (770), WEPN (1050)

GRADING THE JETS

BY TOM ROCK

September 24, 2007

OFFENSE

B The numbers aren't all that impressive - 256 total yards - but having Thomas Jones run well and Chad Pennington back at quarterback made the offense look better. The Jets converted eight of 13 third-downs. Though they didn't score a touchdown, their drive to open the second half ate up more than seven minutes, and they followed that with a TD drive that lasted 7 6. Pennington completed 15 of 22 and has thrown a TD in eight straight games, the longest active streak in the NFL. He's also without an interception in two games this season.

DEFENSE

C- There's definitely room for improvement as Ronnie Brown torched the Jets for 211 yards, including 112 rushing and 99 receiving. "Obviously, we need to work on screens," coach Eric Mangini said, referring to the Dolphins' ability to turn short passes into big gains. After going ahead 31-13, the defense could have iced it with a stop, but Miami went 76 yards on eight plays in only 3:55, then scored a two-point conversion to make it a 10-point game with 8:56 left. The defense allowed scores on five of the Dolphins' final six possessions.

SPECIAL TEAMS

A Leon Washington did a Justin Miller impression with his 98-yard kickoff return in place of the injured Pro Bowler. In a way, that was worth two scores since it forced the Dolphins to squib a kick late in the second half and led to a touchdown drive. The Dolphins had two chances to get their late onside kick, but the Jets were able to recover. Ben Graham put a punt at the 10 late in the game and Mike Nugent kicked a 21-yard field goal, but also boomed his first two kickoffs deep into the end zone. Brad Smith and David Harris each made strong special teams tackles.

COACHING

B The Jets were certainly in the right place, whether it was Washington running behind a near-perfect wall on his kickoff return, Pennington scooting into the end zone untouched on the quarterback draw, or Jerricho Cotchery perfectly positioned to recover the squib kick late in the first half. The Jets found a way to get Brad Smith involved in the offense, and they also managed to make both Jason Taylor and Joey Porter non-factors on Miami's defense. More importantly, the coaches didn't allow the gloom of an 0-2 start and the danger of 0-3 to mess with the players' mentality.

Jets ready to roll, or are they same old Jets

Shaun Powell

September 24, 2007

Let the record show that when the Jets can run the ball, when they have a healthy Chad Pennington, when they make plays on special teams and when they play decent defense, they can beat the winless Dolphins by three points.

Otherwise, what did yesterday say about who the Jets are and where they're headed?

Nothing, really. Three games into the season, the identity of the Jets right now is even too slippery for Wayne Chrebet, the receiver they honored at halftime, to handle. We know as much about the Jets now as we did before their 31-28 win over Miami yesterday. Well, check that. They did clear up one minor detail.

"We're not 0-3," Leon Washington said.

He broke the game open with a 98-yard kick return in the second quarter and the Jets never looked back, although they had reason to peek in the rearview mirror every now and then. The Dolphins hung around longer than necessary and if their kicker, Jay Feely, had recovered his tricky onside kick during a scramble with a little more than a minute left, then the state of the Jets might be a lot messier than it is now.

Instead, the Jets are a contradiction: a pretty good team with a losing record.

They lost their opener to the Patriots; no shame in that. They went to Baltimore, played against a Ray Lewis defense, didn't have their starting quarterback, and were a few dropped passes from tying the score late in the fourth quarter. That was respectable, given the circumstances. Then, in a game that shouldn't have been close, the Jets let the Dolphins creep within a field goal after owning much of the afternoon. Figure that out, and while you're at it, try figuring the Jets out.

They haven't played terribly, but then, when given the chance yesterday against an inferior team, they didn't drop many hints of greatness, either.

"There's stuff that needs to be fixed," safety Kerry Rhodes admitted.

A few things were worth salvaging. After missing one game, Pennington returned and proved, as if anyone doubted, how the team is better off in his capable hands. It was typical Pennington against the Dolphins, master of the short throw, making the big pass on third down, doing just about everything, including a sneaky quarterback draw for a short TD, to give the Jets a chance. What he didn't do was heave the ball downfield. That's all Kellen Clemens has over Pennington, but that's no reason to start Clemens over Pennington. So it's time to put this QB non-controversy to rest, once and for all.

"Chad has great presence," coach Eric Mangini said, stating the obvious.

There was no Zach Thomas at middle linebacker for Miami, and therefore the Jets kept a pair of bodies on Jason Taylor and kept the Dolphins from roughing up Pennington. The offensive line finally showed up, which also allowed Thomas Jones to show up, too. He broke 100 yards for the first time, ripping most of them in the second half on time-consuming drives designed to run the clock down on the Dolphins.

A few things were troubling, however. The Jets were victimized repeatedly by screen passes and often by Ronnie Brown, who totaled 211 all-purpose yards. It was a sweet-sour day all around for the defense, which made some plays and blew others. And the Jets failed to show much of a killer instinct in the fourth quarter, although whenever it's Jets vs. Dolphins, the final score tends to be tight.

If nothing else, the Jets proved they're still a work in progress under Mangini. They won't suffer a setback as long as Pennington stays healthy. Plus, the schedule has just enough soft spots, with a pair of games against Buffalo, the Giants, Kansas City, Cleveland and the Dolphins again. Whether they take a step forward depends on the offensive line and whether it can protect Pennington and create room for Jones. The line was exploited by the Patriots and Ravens, no surprise against two very strong defensive teams, before showing life against the Dolphins, no surprise against a weak team.

There you have it. Feel free to read something into that, if you wish, and if you can. With roughly 20 percent of the season done, the Jets are sending signals far too mixed and confusing for even Bill Belichick to understand.

Washington's 98-yard TD pumps Jets special teams

BY KATIE STRANG caitlin.strang@newsday.com

September 24, 2007

Leon Washington addressed some of the questions lingering around the Jets' special teams: Could they survive without Pro Bowl kick returner Justin Miller? Could they recover from some embarrassing mistakes in the first two weeks of the season?

In 98 yards, Washington provided the answers: yes and yes.

Two minutes into the second quarter yesterday against the Dolphins, Washington fielded a Jay Feely kickoff from the Jets' 2-yard line, found a hole and, as Brad Smith said, "took it to the house."

"I was just trying to get a block on him and when I turned around, I just saw him shooting through the hole," Smith said. "I saw the kicker try to dive, and people chasing him, but I knew they weren't going to catch him."

Said Washington: "As a runner and a competitor, I feel like every time I touch the ball, I'm going to score You saw the play; it was wide open. [The] guys did a great job up front."

With the Jets' special teams reeling from Miller's season-ending knee injury last week and blown coverage in their first two games - a 108-yard TD return from Ellis Hobbs against New England and a 61-yard return from Baltimore's Yamon Figurs the following week - Washington's return seemed to restore some confidence in the unit and provide momentum in the Jets' 31-28 win.

"It was just executing what we know we can do," said Smith, who himself played well on special teams, breaking out a 27-yard return to open the second half and forcing Ted Ginn Jr. out of bounds for only a 6-yard gain late in the second quarter.

Coach Eric Mangini has stressed the need to be successful in all three phases of the game, and Washington's touchdown illustrated that the Jets are listening.

"When [Leon] touches the ball, he can be explosive - whether it's a running play, a screen [pass], a kickoff return, a punt return," Mangini said.

The Dolphins also acknowledged Washington as a threat, electing to squib-kick twice instead of risking another long return.

Washington's return, however, wasn't the only bright spot for the Jets' special teams. Although the unit gave up a 39-yard return in the second quarter, other players stepped up. Both Brad Smith and David Bowens had stops on returns and, after tight end Chris Baker fumbled an onside kick with 1:15 left in regulation, safety Eric Smith recovered the ball to stave off a Dolphins' comeback.

"Finally, this week is over with," Bowens said about the urgency after two consecutive losses. "Now we can just play ball."

Washington's return and solid kick coverage may even be enough to quell the scrutiny of the special-teams unit, at least temporarily.

"Justin went out and that was a tragedy in itself, but Leon is very capable and that was obvious today," Bowens said. "Every Miami-Jets game is always going to come down to special teams and turnovers. We knew that would be an intricate part of the game plan and I think we just played better on special teams."

Jets' defense hardly stellar, but in win column

BY ERIK BOLAND erik.boland@newsday.com

September 24, 2007

The Jets went two games without sacking a quarterback or forcing a turnover. Both are necessary achievements for the lifeblood of a credible NFL defense.

The unit broke through with one of each statistic in yesterday's 31-28 victory over the Dolphins, but accomplished little else.

"We were average," Jonathan Vilma said. "We gave up way too many big plays, especially on the screens."

Which was coach Eric Mangini's primary concern.

"We need to get our screens cleaned up," he said. "I don't know how many yards there were, but it seemed like a million."

Not quite, though in total yardage it was 424. Dolphins quarterback Trent Green, intercepted four times in last week's 37-20 loss to Dallas, threw for 318 yards, going 23-for-36 with one touchdown and one interception. Green's longest completion went for 43 yards, a screen to Ronnie Brown, who ended up with 112 rushing yards and 99 receiving.

"They killed us with screens today," said safety Kerry Rhodes, who intercepted a wobbling Green pass at the Jets' 23-yard line with 5:27 left in the third quarter.

So desperate was Rhodes for a turnover that earlier in the week, he playfully offered a monetary bonus for the first player to get one.

Defender, pay thyself?

"My pockets are OK," Rhodes said laughing. "But I got a couple of guys that are going to give me something, so it will be rewarding."

He did not elaborate.

Players spoke throughout the week about the importance of causing the opponent to cough up the ball and/or making a sack and there was noticeable relief by some players yesterday. Shaun Ellis ended the sackless streak when he brought down Green for a 6-yard loss at the Jets' 44 on the Dolphins' first possession, forcing a Miami punt.

"It's something that you have to do as a defense," said Ellis, whose sack gave him 49.5 in his career, moving him ahead of Verlon Biggs into sixth on the Jets' all-time list. "To go two games without a turnover or a sack is not what you want."

Vilma, however, downplayed what he considered a statistical anomaly.

"We weren't really worried about it; we knew they were going to come," he said.

Regardless, Ellis said the most important result of all came just before 4 p.m.

"A lot of people put an emphasis on turnovers and sacks and you need those, but we were more concerned about getting a win," Ellis said. "We got [all of] them today."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a love-fest in Pennington's return

Monday, September 24, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

As guard Brandon Moore waited for the Jets' first offensive play of the game yesterday, he heard a loud ovation. He quickly poked his head out of the huddle and saw quarterback Chad Pennington jogging onto the Giants Stadium field.

JETS 31DOLPHINS 28Two weeks earlier, fans had cheered when Pennington hopped off the field with a severe ankle injury against the Patriots and backup Kellen Clemens ran onto the field.

"After all the hoopla (after the Patriots game) and the media saying the fans were cheering when Chad got hurt, it was actually nice to hear," Moore said. "I was glad for Chad with the way the fans greeted him when he ran on the field."

Pennington, who sat out last week's loss against the Ravens, proved worthy of the warm welcome -- after his first pass, which was thrown into double coverage and nearly intercepted.

"I went over to the sidelines and regrouped," Pennington said.

He quickly regained his form and led the Jets to their first victory of the season, a 31-28 win over the Miami Dolphins. He completed 15 of 22 passes for 124 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions, and ran for another touchdown. He managed the game perfectly and displayed his trademark touch on short touchdown passes to wide receiver Laveranues Coles and tight end Chris Baker.

Pennington felt the love from the Jets fans.

"It was nice," he said. "I really enjoyed it and I appreciated it."

Pennington, though, had plenty of help as the Jets (1-2) built an 18-point fourth-quarter lead and then held off a furious rally by the Dolphins (0-3). The matter wasn't settled until Eric Smith recovered an onside kick with 1:12 left to play.

The Jets, who have winnable games against the Bills (0-3) and Giants (1-2) coming up, have won six of the past seven against the Dolphins. Pennington, who missed a 2005 meeting, has won six straight starts against Miami.

Whenever you're in the hole, you always want to get that first win," said safety Kerry Rhodes, whose third-quarter interception was followed by a Jets' touchdown drive. "It's always the toughest one. It wasn't easy and we didn't expect it to be easy. Just the history of this game, Jets-Dolphins, it's always tight."

Added defensive end/linebacker David Bowens: "We definitely didn't want to start 0-3. We wanted to get some type of momentum going into next week and create an identity for ourselves. I think we did that."

Running back Thomas Jones established himself with his first 100-yard game as a Jet, finishing with 110 yards (92 in the second half) on 25 carries. Jones is the Jets' first 100-yard rusher since Cedric Houston, who had 105 yards against the Packers in Week 13 last season. Left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson held Dolphins Pro Bowler Jason Taylor (four tackles, no sacks) in check. The Jets converted eight of 13 third-down situations. Kick returner Leon Washington, subbing for Justin Miller (season-ending knee injury), returned a kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown.

"It took some time just for us to get some sort of chemistry going, but today the offensive line did a great job blocking," Jones said. "As running backs, you love to wear a defense down and you can get a feeling of how they're feeling as the course of the game goes along. I felt like our offensive line was wearing them down -- they were getting a little tired just tackling us."

The Jets have work to do on defense. They finally found their way to the opposing quarterback -- defensive end Shaun Ellis notched the Jets' first sack of the season and Rhodes' interception was the first forced turnover. But the Dolphins rolled up 424 yards of total offense, many of them coming from running back Ronnie Brown. They repeatedly burned the Jets on screen passes to Brown (six catches, 99 yards, one TD), who also rushed for 112 yards and two touchdowns on 23 carries. Quarterback Trent Green (23-of-36 for 318 yards, one TD, one INT) was sharp.

The Jets took a 21-13 lead at the half on a 4-yard touchdown catch by Baker, who tipped the ball to himself with one hand in the back of the end zone and then somehow got both feet down in bounds. Then at the start of the third quarter, the Jets scored 10 points on their two longest drives of the season -- the first covered 7:03 (including 11 consecutive running plays) and ended on Mike Nugent's 21-yard field goal, and the second spanned 7:36 and concluded with Pennington's 2-yard run -- to take a 31-13 lead early in the fourth quarter.

"Our offense played great all game," Ellis said. "The second half, they really moved the ball well. They ran the ball. They bailed us out as a defense. They kept (Miami's) defense on the field for a while."

Asked about celebrating his team's first win, coach Eric Mangini said, "Until 9 p.m. (yesterday). That's as far as I will take it."

Dave Hutchinson may be reached at dhutchinson@starledger.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vet Baker specializing in big grabs

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

All tight end Chris Baker does is make plays.

Baker, a sixth-year pro, was at it again in the Jets' 31-28 victory over the Miami Dolphins yesterday at Giants Stadium.

With the Jets clinging to a one-point lead, Baker hauled in a 4-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Chad Pennington with two seconds left in the half to give the Jets a 21-13 lead. On the play, he tipped the ball to himself with his right hand in the back of the end zone and then somehow managed to get both feet in bounds.

"It was a real good throw," said Baker, who has four catches for 36 yards and two touchdowns this season. "He (Pennington) put it where I could get it. He had confidence in me to go and get it. When you get those opportunities, I try to make the most of it."

Said Pennington: "It was an unbelievable catch that gave us a lot of momentum going into halftime. This guy just keeps coming up with big, big plays, week in and week out."

Last week Baker made a 3-yard touchdown catch in the corner of the end zone against the Ravens.

Jets LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson did an outstanding job on Dolphins' Pro Bowl DE/LB Jason Taylor, helping limit him to four tackles and no sacks. The Jets allowed just one sack when LG Adrien Clarke was beaten by DT Vonnie Holiday in the second quarter.

"We put a plan together and we tried to really execute today and it worked out well," said Ferguson, who has held Taylor to just one sack in three career games against him. "Playing against a great athlete like that, it's always good when you can battle and do some nice things."

Taylor was also whistled for three penalties. Pennington said he repeatedly changed his snap count and cadence to keep Taylor off balance.

The Dolphins repeatedly burned the Jets with screen passes to RB Ronnie Brown (six catches, 99 yards, one TD). One screen pass went for a 22-yard TD, another was a 43-yarder that set up a TD and yet another was a 16-yarder that set up a FG. Most of the time, they caught the Jets in a zone.

WR Laveranues Coles (three catches, 30 yards, one TD) caught his third TD pass in the past three games vs. the Dolphins and has 10 TD receptions in 12 career games vs. Miami.

Jets K Mike Nugent, who has bulked up, had two touchbacks. Five of his 12 kickoffs have landed in the end zone this season, three for touchbacks. He had just three touchbacks in his first two seasons.

Rookie LB David Harris received his most playing time of the season, finishing with five tackles, including one for a loss. ... The past three Jets-Dolphins games have been decided by three points.

Business-like Jones

BY M.A. MEHTA

Star-Ledger Staff

He quietly cut across the Jets locker room sporting a gold chain and matching earrings as bright as the sun. He wore a plain white T-shirt and baggy blue jeans.

He didn't look happy.

Thomas Jones had every reason to gloat or yuck it up after his best game as a Jet, but, quite frankly, that's not his style. The Jets' $20 million running back -- expected to pump life into an anemic ground attack that sputtered last season -- handled his 25-carry, 110-yard afternoon in the same understated manner he approaches everything.

Jones, who struggled mightily in the first two games, sleepwalked through the first half yesterday before erupting for 92 yards after halftime to help the Jets win their first game of the season. The Jets racked up 141 yards on the ground after averaging 65 in the first two games.

"Thomas was on fire," said offensive lineman Adrien Clarke. "He just got into a groove. We opened up holes for him. And when there weren't holes, he created holes. It was a huge boost for us."

Jones, who totaled just 109 yards the first two weeks (2.9 yards per carry), looked like he was going to be a nonfactor again with 18 yards on six carries in the first half before springing to life. The Jets, who had just 30 yards on the ground in the first half, committed to the run on the first drive of the third quarter, feeding Jones like the workhorse he hoped to be after leaving the Chicago Bears.

"Thomas got going and was making great run after great run," said tight end Chris Baker, who had a 4-yard touchdown catch. "When a player's hot, you got to give him the ball. He was really rolling."

The eight-year veteran had eight carries -- including five straight at one point -- for 40 yards to key a 13-play, 67-yard drive resulting in a field goal that pushed the Jets' lead to 24-13 midway through the third quarter.

"As an offense coming out in the third quarter," said quarterback Chad Pennington, who threw for two touchdowns and ran for another, "we needed to establish the momentum -- establish the tempo of the second half -- and make a statement."

Jones had eight more touches (seven carries, one catch) on the Jets' next drive -- a 15-play, 74-yard march -- gashing the porous Miami run defense for gains of 8, 6, 11 and 11 yards. Pennington's 2-yard touchdown run capped the scoring drive that gave the Jets a 31-13 cushion two minutes into the fourth quarter.

Jones took advantage of the absence of Pro Bowl middle linebacker Zach Thomas, who did not play due to a concussion. He looked more comfortable behind an offensive line that created plenty of running room and took over in the second half. Jones, who missed much of the preseason due to a calf injury, said he felt more in sync with his blockers up front.

"As the game (went) along, I felt like our offensive line was wearing them down," Jones said. "I think they were a little tired just tackling us and (we were) breaking 4-, 5-, 6-yard runs. That's the best part of being a running back -- when you can feel a defense wearing down."

"It felt good..." Jones added without cracking a smile. "Having success running the ball."

M.A. Mehta may be reached at mmehta@starledger.com

Jets notebook

Getting on the board

Not only did the Jets get their inaugural victory of 2007, but they also accomplished a couple of other firsts.

Defensive end Shaun Ellis sacked Trent Green for a 6-yard loss to end Miami's first possession, and strong safety Kerry Rhodes notched the Jets' first forced turnover of the season when he intercepted a Green pass to end Miami's first possession of the second half. The Jets had been the only team in the NFL with zeroes in both categories through two games.

"It was great to get out of the schneid," Rhodes said. "We didn't want to make it that big of a deal, but we knew it was. In this league, the turnover ratio is big."

"It feels good to break down that wall," Ellis said. "Hopefully, we can continue it."

Taylor neutralized

Jason Taylor's biggest play came when he lined up as a wide receiver in the second quarter and drew an interference penalty from Erik Coleman in the end zone, setting up Ronnie Brown's 1-yard touchdown run two plays later.

But in his regular job as a defensive end, Taylor was almost invisible, except for the three times he jumped offside. Left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson had his best game of the season, holding Taylor sackless.

"With Jason Taylor it's a group effort," coach Eric Mangini said, adding, "There were situations when Brick was isolated with him and in those instances, I thought he did a nice job as well."

Briefs

The Jets ran the ball for 11 straight plays to start the second half, gaining 57 yards. Mike Nugent kicked a 21-yard field goal to finish the drive. The Jets had two scoring drives of seven-plus minutes against Miami. ... The Jets have won three consecutive games against Miami, all by three points.

-- J.P. Pelzman

Jets' RBs key contributors

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

EAST RUTHERFORD -- Backup running back Leon Washington covered 98 yards in 13 seconds, while starting running back Thomas Jones needed considerably more time to amass 110 yards.

Both accomplishments were quite gratifying and important for the Jets, but the second one could have the most long-range effect.

The first kickoff-return touchdown of Washington's two-year NFL career put the Jets ahead to stay, while Jones' ability to eat clock and wear down the Miami defense also was instrumental in the Jets' 31-28 victory at Giants Stadium on Sunday.

Jones had been limited to 109 yards in the first two games at a paltry 2.9 yards per carry. The Jets' offensive line hadn't yet established any chemistry with Jones, who missed much of the preseason with a calf injury. Plus, the Jets trailed for much of those first two regular-season games.

But Jones averaged 4.4 yards on 25 carries against Miami and showed why the Jets swapped second-round draft choices with Chicago to acquire him in March.

"It just took some time," Jones said, "for us to get some chemistry going, but [sunday] the offensive line did a great job of blocking."

"As far as the O-line, it was definitely a stepping stone for us," left guard Adrien Clarke said. "When you're a linemen you want [your team] to run the ball. It felt good to see Thomas get excited out there, to run the ball, find the holes and hit the holes. What more can you ask for? [We got] a W [and] our running back got 100 yards."

Jones had 92 yards on 19 carries in the second half.

"I felt like our offensive line was wearing them down," Jones said. "That's the best part of being a running back, when you can feel the defense wearing down."

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Chad returns to direct Jets' first win

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

EAST RUTHERFORD -- His teammates have always given Chad Pennington high marks for his competitiveness, perseverance and passing accuracy.

His end-zone celebrations? Well, let's just say he needs a little work on those.

"That was an ugly spike," teammate Chris Baker said, referring to how Pennington punctuated his 2-yard fourth-quarter touchdown run in the Jets' 31-28 win over Miami on Sunday at Giants Stadium.

"I guess that was a lot of intensity coming out of him, but you've got to work on that. That was a bad one."

An emotional Pennington held the ball aloft and showed it to the crowd before the spike. It was a catharsis for Pennington, who had sat out against Baltimore last week because of a sprained right ankle and still isn't quite 100 percent.

"When I get in there," Pennington said, "I hope that the guys can feed off my energy. I try to be really energetic and enthusiastic, and lead the way. It's important we all play with passion."

Especially when trying to avoid the abyss of an 0-3 start, which often wipes out an NFL team's playoff chances before the leaves have turned. The Jets (1-2) have started off 0-3 eight times in franchise history, and only in 1981 did they regroup and reach the postseason.

Pennington didn't have a huge statistical game, but he made plays when he had to. He was 15-of-22 for 124 yards, but he threw for two touchdowns and was not intercepted as the Jets played their first turnover-free game of the season. Pennington lofted a perfect fade to Laveranues Coles in the left corner of the end zone for his first scoring pass and hit Baker with a 4-yarder with two seconds to go in the first half, giving the Jets a 21-13 lead.

Baker, who was tightly covered, reached up with his right hand to grab it, then pulled it down with both hands. Baker gave the ball to Pennington for safe keeping while the tight end blocked for the PAT, and the quarterback toted it back to the sideline.

But Pennington had his own celebration after his quarterback draw for a touchdown 2:09 into the fourth quarter. It was reminiscent of when he returned from missing three games with a shoulder injury during the 2004 season, and made an exaggerated first-down signal after converting a third down with an 11-yard run. Baker smiled when that celebration was mentioned to him.

"He's the ultimate competitor," Baker said. "For him to miss a game, it's almost like the world is ending for him. So when he gets back out there, he shows a little more emotion."

Pennington got an ovation from the crowd when he jogged onto the field for the Jets' first possession. Some critics had interpreted cheers for backup Kellen Clemens when he took over for an injured Pennington on opening day as a slap at the eight-year veteran.

"[The fans] really appreciate when players play with heart and physical toughness and really give it all they have,'' Pennington said. "That's all I can ask of myself and that's what they ask of each individual player. It was nice. I really enjoyed it and I appreciated it."

That certainly wasn't the last ovation of the day. Leon Washington's 98-yard kickoff return for a touchdown obviously was well-received, as he proved to be a more than an adequate replacement for Justin Miller, out for the season with an injury. Washington's return put the Jets ahead to stay, 14-7, with 12:47 left in the first half. He noted that he received key blocks from Baker, Darian Barnes and David Harris on the play.

"As a runner, as a competitor, I feel like every time I touch the ball I can score," Washington said, adding that special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff "did a great job of [drawing] it up. ... I tried to hit it like Forrest Gump. I just hit it fast."

After a slow start, Pennington, Washington and the Jets are heading in the right direction.

Bottom line

The Jets avoided an 0-3 start. They've started 0-3 eight times in franchise history, and made the playoffs only once in those years, in 1981.

Best move

Chad Pennington's 2-yard quarterback draw for a touchdown on third-and-goal was the perfect call against the hard-charging Miami front.

What was he thinking?

Miami coach Cam Cameron ordered a squib kickoff after Leon Washington's second-quarter TD return, and the Jets used the short field to score another TD.

Area of concern

Miami scored two fourth-quarter TDs to make the game close, and the Jets' defense never got a handle on the Dolphins' screen passes to Ronnie Barnes.

Look ahead

The Jets travel to play Buffalo (0-3), which is in disarray. J.P. Losman (knee) lasted only three plays Sunday and will miss the game against the Jets.

-- J.P. Pelzman

Jets tight end Baker catches another touchdown

(Original publication: September 24, 2007)

Baker underrated: Jets tight end Chris Baker has four catches this season, two for touchdowns, both of which have been reviewed.

Yesterday, he tipped the ball to himself at the back of the end zone to give the Jets a 21-13 lead with two seconds left in the first half.

"He's so laid back and smooth, he makes it look just effortless," wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. "We worked on that route in practice throughout the week and the first time we saw him run it, Laveranues (Coles) said we're going to call it the snail route. We have a lot of weapons in this offense so sometimes he can get lost in the shuffle. But he's definitely underrated."

Revis picked on: Jets first-round pick Darrelle Revis finally saw plenty of passes flying his way as the Dolphins threw to top receiver Chris Chambers 13 times, six of which were caught for 101 yards.

The rookie cornerback, who did not get the rookie treatment from the Patriots or Ravens, stayed with Chambers most of the game, though David Barrett also covered him one-on-one.

"I figured that, watching Chris Chambers basically everywhere he went, I knew the ball was going to come there," said Revis, who had eight tackles, seven of them solo.

But he was also called for a 5-yard illegal use of the hands penalty on the third play of the second quarter as he tried to guard Chambers in the end zone. The penalty put the ball on the Jets 3-yard line, and Ronnie Brown had a touchdown to tie the score at 7-7 on a 1-yard touchdown just three plays later.

"I didn't think that I touched him," Revis said. "I just jammed him and tried to play the player."

Bad game: Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor was not happy being a non-factor with just four tackles and no pressure on the quarterback.

"I stunk, period," he said.

A large part of the credit goes to Jets left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who effectively frustrated Taylor's pass-rushing attempts.

"There were situations when Brick was isolated with him and in those instances I thought he did a nice job as well," Jets coach Eric Mangini said.

In fact, Taylor's biggest play came on offense after lining up as a tight end, drawing a defensive pass-interference call against Jets safety Erik Coleman in the end zone to set up Brown's 1-yard touchdown rush.

Injury report: Jets - None

Dolphins - Cornerback Michael Lehan hurt his neck tackling running back Thomas Jones with 2:52 to go in the third quarter but was able to return.

Andrew Gross

Archived